homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » London Duck meet Friday 3rd August. (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: London Duck meet Friday 3rd August.
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
8 Years ago (or so) there was a Ship of Fools Duck Meet. Rather a lot has happened in 8 years and I decided it would be a good time to organise another one, now that we are all older, wiser, etc...

The duck tour is a unique tour of London on an amphibious vehicle, and rather fun. We will be bringing rubber ducks. Duck Tour London Site

We are booking for the 1.30 Tour on Friday 3rd August and will be having a picnic on the southbank first if the weather isn't too atrocious. Yes it is over the Olympics but we won't be near the main traffic and more importantly this is the only day we can do!

Tickets can be purchased from above site. I won't be booking a group ticket this time, so first come first serve - there are currently tickets available, but they do book up.

So book a ticket, take a day off work and bring a duck...

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do you really think we're all that quackers? It was an amazing day out last time- just try keeping me and the Smudgelet away from it this time. Count us in (and I'll worry about getting the time off work later!)

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm in, if I get gainfully employed fast enough

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Excellent CK [Smile] We're now booked! Half the seats on the boat are left...
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooh, I'd love to come. I'd have to bring the two small niminies -- are other people bringing children? Will have also to think about the practicalities as the eldest niminy isn't at all good with groups of new people...

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

It's not officially recommended for under 3s I think, but I will have a 3 1/2 year old and a baby (will probably have baby in sling). Smudgie will have a teenager in tow.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Knowing Smudgelet he may well be towing Smudgie!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, if the Smudgelet won't mind elder niminy being adoring (he loves teenagers) I think we may be in! Will cross fingers there are still tickets left when I get paid later this week.

--------------------

Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How bizarre, Alien and I will be on Duck tour (that I can't afford) on that very same day and time (just as well I've managed to wangle free accommodation while in the vicinity!).

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I reckon that if I'd waited to afford things before doing them I'd have missed an awful lot in life!

Have fun on the DUKW - we did a tour of Singapore like that and it was magic!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

Yay!

WW - We did a Singapore tour but it was just the airport freebe one. I remember seeing a duck tour when I was either in Vancouver or Seattle (I know, I know I really should know the difference) and now I'm thinking I want to see how many duck tours I can get on...

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
*wails* I want to come!

It was such fun last time!

(as an advance warning PaulW and I may be in London for a brief visit in September - we will let you know dates so you can all keep your time free to see us.)

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fly over for the day?! [Biased]

--------------------

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

Wow, AD - was that when I first met you? There was quite a few of us, wasn't there? Who else was there? Distant life...
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ken, Tree Bee, fabula rasa, Tractor Girl + offspring, me, ** Leon ***? Yangtze, Marvin? Smudgie, Emma, Auntie Doris - that's 12 if I've got them all right - was rosamundi there? And those poor three people who weren't part of the Ship, who didn't quite know what hit them. Somewhere there are photos - but they're not on Auntie Doris' or Marvin's or ken's or rosamundi's Flickr streams that I can find. And I'm not guilty of that one.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
flickr photos of the Duck Meet 2006

I have tried preview post and this won't let me open the page in Google Chrome but I can't see why not. Does it open for anyone else? It's got a few Duck photos from the original meet.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The link needs editing. It goes http://http//www.flickr... etc or somethng like that. It's mucked up at the front end.

I'm keen. Just hesitant because of doing a touristy thing during the actual games. I can get there easily on foot but I would be concerned that more distant folk will struggle.

Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Stevie Boy Wonder!! Whatever happened to him? (I never met him in person, but remember him posting a couple of thousand posts in not a very long period of time - after which he seems to have disappeared.)

ETA - I fixed the link (I think).

[ 27. June 2012, 20:30: Message edited by: Zoey ]

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tina
Shipmate
# 63

- Posted      Profile for Tina   Email Tina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zoey:
quote:
Stevie Boy Wonder!! Whatever happened to him? (I never met him in person, but remember him posting a couple of thousand posts in not a very long period of time - after which he seems to have disappeared.)

My little bruv [Big Grin] Real Life moved on for him I think! He's still living in Brum, now married and working with teenagers [Smile]

Spike and I would love to come to this Duck Meet - we were too late to get tickets for the last one but joined y'all for lunch afterwards - however we're hopefully moving house that weekend so it may be tricksy. We'll work on it ...

--------------------
Kindness is mandatory. Anger is necessary. Despair is a terrible idea. Despair is how they win. They won't win forever.

Posts: 503 | From: South London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

[tangent]
[Hot and Hormonal] How long have I been here? And I can't spot a stupid mistake in my use of instant UBB coding when a link doesn't work in preview post? I should be taken out and doused under a cold water tap until my brain decobwebs!!! [Hot and Hormonal] [/tangent]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

[continuing tangent]Could we wait that long?[/continuing tangent]

--------------------

Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

rosamundi was there too (well she's in the pics anyway!). And a little looking Smudgelet!

And eyeliner / persephone hazard!

[ 29. June 2012, 11:08: Message edited by: Pants ]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

... and no Yangtze - but I don't think I did too badly from memory ... I hadn't realised it was 2006 either.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I was also struck by how little Smudgelet looked in those photos - a lot littler than the fair-sized guy I met back in May - but he's still a charmer.

--------------------

Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

Look who his main influence in life is! [Biased]

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tina:
quote:
Originally posted by Zoey:
Stevie Boy Wonder!! Whatever happened to him?

My little bruv [Big Grin] Real Life moved on for him I think! He's still living in Brum,
If he wants to be reacquainted with shippies there is a Brum meet coming up.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sadly I will be working ... don't think I could tell my boss I had to go to a Duck Tours appointment amd hope he misheard ...!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Niminypiminy:
Well, if the Smudgelet won't mind elder niminy being adoring (he loves teenagers) I think we may be in! Will cross fingers there are still tickets left when I get paid later this week.

Smudgelet is quite used to being adored, actually. He's good with littles too. Unless teenageritis has set in. [Paranoid]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I was also struck by how little Smudgelet looked in those photos - a lot littler than the fair-sized guy I met back in May - but he's still a charmer.

Goodness, was he ever really that small and adorable?

Yes, he copes very well with being adored by small people - well, well for a teenager... though he does end up exhausted by the sheer effort of being nice! After a couple of hours being adored by Teacup, he generally declares his intention never to be a dad!

I love my Smudgelet [Big Grin]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
I hadn't realised it was 2006 either.

I can't believe it was so long ago! Seems only yesterday...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

Wow. It was such a fab meet [Smile]

Gill - you obviously should just take a slightly longer lunch hour... [Big Grin]

Tina - I think you need to do something "fun" before The Big Move to help with the stress levels.. or something...

[Smile] I'm so looking forwards to this!

When I booked I asked how many tickets were left - could the next person to book ask too? Thanks [Smile]

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

Marvin - it does, doesn't it? And yet so much has changed since...
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

We're booked!

Still a bit trepidatious (I know it's not a word, but it should be) about coming throuh Kings Cross during The Games, Nimlet 1 coping... but am going to give it a whirl!

{x-posted, so didn't get to check the state of play with tickets)

[ 29. June 2012, 17:53: Message edited by: Niminypiminy ]

--------------------

Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
When I booked I asked how many tickets were left - could the next person to book ask too? Thanks [Smile]

You mean you booked by talking to an actual human being?!

--------------------

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

Website wasn't working when I tried to book!! Kept putting tickets in the basket but not letting me checkout. Was bizarrely quick over the phone though.
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

So - people definitely coming ...

Emma-louise, aj and 2 small people.
Smudgie and not so small person.
Niminypiminy and 2 small people.
Pants and Alien
CK (12 so far!)

Possibly

Deputy verger
Spike and Tina

and if boss could just turn a blind eye to a long lunch break..... Gill H.

I do suggest we all bring a rubber duck each. If anyone needs spares let me know... we have plenty.

We will be having a picnic beforehand on the South Bank, if it isn't tipping it down, do join us if you would like to.

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
oooh me! Maybe. It's the school hols, right?

And is it the "classic" tour that we are booking?

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

That's what I booked ecumaniac so I hope so! Lol.

Emma, doesn't Alien count as a small person? Or was it that she and I are both small? [Biased]

--------------------

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

Perhaps I should have put "Alien and a small person [Biased] "

ecumaniac - are you coming?! Yay!

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well I'd love to come, but I'm volunteering on the South Bank as a 'London Ambassador' for the Olympics at the time. Look out for a small person in a vivid purple and pink polo shirt,a nd I'll look out for people clutching rubber ducks.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

I think it would be a very ambassadorial act to escort a bunch of clear lunatics on their tour of London and keep them safe.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
Perhaps I should have put "Alien and a small person [Biased] "

ecumaniac - are you coming?! Yay!

Maybe! I'm moving house at the end of this month, so might not have any money left....!!

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

I think it should go on the "essential spending" list as stress relief over a busy period [Biased]
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

So who is coming and has booked? [Smile]
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

Me an her.

--------------------

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

Perhaps I could just come for the pre-tour picnic... (and post tour pub?)

--------------------

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

Fab - I'm hoping for good weather for the picnic....

We won't be doing pub afterwards (small children and we will need to get out of london before rush hour) but others might?

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Definitely can't be there - but it does go past my office. If someone could PM me their phone number and give me a little warning, I might be able to come and wave to you. (How very 'Railway Children'!)

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Definitely can't be there - but it does go past my office. If someone could PM me their phone number and give me a little warning, I might be able to come and wave to you. (How very 'Railway Children'!)

As long as you prommise not to wave your red flannel undergarments.....

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

[Waterworks] I can't attend, since that's the (only) day that a friend can come over to steam clean the carpets in the house I've just moved out of

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016