homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Tide of Opinion -- Southeast Louisiana Meet this coming Springtime?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Tide of Opinion -- Southeast Louisiana Meet this coming Springtime?
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm thinking about a Meet in the springtime -- Southeast Louisiana, fishing and/or swamp/marsh touring, dining here and there, possibly including an appropriate weekend to catch a Mardi Gras parade. Plantation tour? Daytrip into New Orleans?

Any interest?

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Possibly...But that is testing season for us teachers...

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Spring break falls when for y'all?

--------------------

JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Interested.

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
Spring break falls when for y'all?

Spring break seems to always occur around St. Pat's day....

Don't ask, I don't!

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

If we're talking around St. Patrick's Day there'll be parades for that... and St. Joseph's Altars to see. And the gators will be getting active, swamp tours should be great.

We've got weeks and weeks to assemble a PLAN, here, so I'll pull info that would work over a stretch of time, and see who can come...

Here's mention of the 2013 Mardi Gras schedule in New Orleans. Here is a good list, featuring links to many of the big-city krewes' websites.

Houma offers a take on Mardi Gras I like. You can move around more.

A Sunday parade in Thibodaux can be a lot of fun, especially if we go visit St. John's Episcopal Church. They're on the parade route of at least the Cleophas & Chronos parades. I've enjoyed visiting with them in their historic church building, and sharing lunch, then watching the parades pass.

This Houma business will put up a schedule for the Houma parades soon -- meanwhile check the photos.

[ 02. July 2012, 02:25: Message edited by: Janine ]

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Hotels on parade route New Orleans

Thibodaux/Lafourche website

Mardi Gras & Events calendars Houma/Terrebonne

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
how much humidity do you get in February? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Macgyver's Apprentice
Shipmate
# 603

- Posted      Profile for Macgyver's Apprentice   Author's homepage   Email Macgyver's Apprentice   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Interested. I'll need to look behind the sofa for some spare pennies.

February would make it more likely that I would be able to get the time off work (Scotland will still be in the depths of winter!).

Time to dive back behaind the sofa.

--------------------
"In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it." - Emile Zola
2011 New Mexico Meet & Grand Canyon

Posts: 416 | From: The Clyde Valley | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

We might still have a little winter left in February. Maybe 50-60 degrees F at night and 60s-to-70s daytime? Unless we get a cool front, some rain... Or unless springtime tries to come early, as it does many years. We could have all the willows and swamp maples and Japanese magnolias and green clover and baby birds all thinking it's time to ROLL come mid-February.

There's just no way to know for sure, this far ahead.

--------------------

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow, talk about planning ahead! I am interested too!

[ 03. July 2012, 06:41: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

I realize it's a long time away, but I need a lot of time to jiggle the dates around. I need to come up with a date range that's helpful to the most people.

Also, when we do peg it down a bit as far as exactly what and when, I'll firm up the plans and let folks know the costs -- keeping that as low as possible, I'm fond of low prices [Big Grin] -- then anyone who wants to make early/cheaper reservations for flights or car rentals or hotel/motel/B&B rooms can do it. Or I'd help coordinate that.

So, any one who's interested, say so, in case Hosts feel it's too early to litter up their board with this February business. That way I'll have the closed thread to refer to. [Smile]

Next up, I'll be posting the date ranges that will work best, and a list of sights/sites, activities, tours, parades, etc., so y'all can note your favorite choices.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I realize it's a long time away, but I need a lot of time to jiggle the dates around. I need to come up with a date range that's helpful to the most people.

Also, when we do peg it down a bit as far as exactly what and when, I'll firm up the plans and let folks know the costs -- keeping that as low as possible, I'm fond of low prices [Big Grin] -- then anyone who wants to make early/cheaper reservations for flights or car rentals or hotel/motel/B&B rooms can do it. Or I'd help coordinate that.

So, any one who's interested, say so, in case Hosts feel it's too early to litter up their board with this February business. That way I'll have the closed thread to refer to. [Smile]

Next up, I'll be posting the date ranges that will work best, and a list of sights/sites, activities, tours, parades, etc., so y'all can note your favorite choices.

My niece was married in New Orleans a month ago. We rode The Crescent to get to NOLA and never bothered with a car rental. Cabs were cheap and it never took very long to walk to the other places. The hotel we stayed at gave us a big price break because there were so many folks there for the wedding.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

One certainly doesn't need a car while in town. That's what streetcars are for. [Smile]

I was thinking of stuff outside of town, also.

Captain Wendy says:
quote:
"... about the fishing . . . it's difficult to have more than four people in the boat for that; and trying to mix a tour with fishing is difficult because some folks don't want to fish, others decide they'd like to try but they didn't buy a license, etc. I have found it just doesn't always work out well. The eco tours interest everyone, birders, photographers, sight seers..."
'Course, if anyone really wanted to fish, we'd get'r'done, license and all.
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What Nick said. And the Southern Crescent is a neat way to travel. As for hotels that shouldn't be a problem for me in NO as I got people to stay with. Good move starting it early like this, Janine. Like you say it gives folks more time to juggle their calendars. I so much hope I can make it, "good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise!"

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whoopie! I've never been to N.O. Love to join y'all, any dates.
Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Plenty to do round-about as well.

Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve boat tour up Bayou Lafourche to Madewood Plantation

This is a report from the start of the 2012 crawfish season; things are flexible, depending upon the weather, so we could very well have a good season going when we Meet in Feb. 2013. Of course, if the season isn't rolling well at that time, we'll just have to make do with 50,000 other possible meats and vegetables cooked in every imaginable way. [Biased]

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thinking about it.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
...So, any one who's interested, say so, in case Hosts feel it's too early to litter up their board with this February business. That way I'll have the closed thread to refer to. [Smile] ...

[Angel]

I think we'll let it run a bit longer whilst you get an idea of numbers, etc. and then we'll give it another think.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve boat tour up Bayou Lafourche

So no white water rafting among the gators, then?

What are the jazz-spotting possibilities in NO around then?

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

If you need white water speed, perhaps we could find an airboat tour. [Smile]

Potential for jazz never lets up in town. It will be findable whenever.

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

We've been invited to "pass a good time" at historic St. John's Episcopal Church. [Big Grin]

quote:

Dear Janine,

Sunday, February 10, St. John's will have a potluck lunch after the 10:30 service and watch two parades roll by that afternoon. Hope you all can join us and pass a good time!

LaDonna,
Interim Secretary
Organist

St. John's Episcopal Church
718 Jackson Street, Thibodaux, LA 70301

Invited by the organist, no less. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

(example of second-line here)

"Jazz was a gift from America to the rest of the world..." [Yipee]

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

The 2013 Superbowl is in New Orleans, and falls during Mardi Gras season. Folks in the industry are saying people targeting the Superbowl need to book hotel rooms a year in advance.

I don't think we need to worry about it quite that much/that early, but we do need to have a rough idea, by the Fall, when it comes to where we'll sleep that night, what we want to do on what days.

Friends have reminded me of all the dear little bed-and-breakfast places available within walking distance of the French Quarter. Also, there are chain hotels right on the St. Charles parade route.

I'll get up a list of activities and photo-op-rich places, in and out of town -- most of which costs little or nothing to do -- and I'll PM all who express interest -- results will be cooking over the next couple weeks.

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Wouldja believe some of the B&Bs are already booking up? Superbowl in the midst of Mardi Gras is a potent mixture. Something like the cute little Elysian Guest House, with its possibilities of room combinations for up to 8 people -- and the hot tub out back -- yay!-- was looking promising, but they're just about full up already. We'll see what further digging brings up.

I'm looking at the Royal St. Charles:
videos
photos

Given their location -- St. Charles is a major parade route, and on the streetcar line, and walking distance to all sorts of fun stuff -- I think we could do some semi-affordable rooms there. At least most of the year we could. They haven't loaded their rooms rates yet that far ahead. I'd not mind a two-double-bed room at all, if I get to be someone's roommate. Unknown so far if the Football God will join us for all the fun -- but, it's a possibility, since his work is changing this week. I'd do a queen room for us I think.

One of my doctors has said he'd rather locate guests in Houma and truck them into New Orleans, than try to put a group in New Orleans in the last week of Mardi Gras. I see his point -- unless by some miracle I got a room right on the blessed parade route! That might be fun.

Of course, there's no law says we have to be in New Orleans ON Mardi Gras Day. One needs to love a gigantic crowd to enjoy the city on the very day. The fun starts January 6th, with listed parades by Friday, January 25th, through February 12th. And we've always got the option of seeing and doing things in the city, whether or not we actually go to a parade -- there's always the country parade at St. John's in Thibodaux.

Still looking. It's fun. Rather like shopping.

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

I'm now finding the B&Bs still have rooms, some in great places and probably good deals -- but they tend to require a 5-night stay.

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was thinking Houma and watching the Thibodeaux celebrations myself, but we could go to NAWLINS for one day.

P. S. you do know that you have to have some teeshirts made up for this ship meet, Janine

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Oh, yes, we must at least a day-trip into New Orleans at some point. If we want the luxury of manageable crowds, I'm thinking a weekday, early-ish -- Since the Super Bowl is Sunday, Feb. 3rd, by Tuesday 5th or Wednesday 6th, the restaurants and shops may have recovered a bit [Razz] ... Shopping, eating (hah), touring the graveyards or the Garden District, hitting the WWII Museum, the Zoo, the Aquarium...

There are fun things to do Houma-way before and after Super Bowl Weekend (tours of swamps and plantations at least, some live music and maybe a little dancing at the Jolly Inn or the Bayou Delight).

When we roll into the weekend of Sunday Feb 10th there's the church-and-food-and-parades with St. John's in Thibodaux. Then anyone who has to leave could go on, if s/he must -- but there'd still be the big "Lundi Gras" and Mardi Gras parades in New Orleans, if anyone wants to see (or photograph) the crowds & maskers.

(Those who made it out my way for the Hallowe'en Meet had the perfect balance of crowds & costumes, I think, not quite the mass mayhem of Mardi Gras, then. Still just as many mostly naked people...)

As for T-shirts... oh, baby. Y'all jes' wait.

[ 10. July 2012, 20:54: Message edited by: Janine ]

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

OK, plans coalescing...

Headquarters: Plantation Inn

At $69.95 a night, especially if anyone wants to share a double-full or double-queen room, that's a pretty affordable place. They have smoking and non-smoking available; the earlier the reservations are made, the more likely we get the bed assortment and smoking status we want. They've always been extra-nice to me and any guests I've placed there.

I specifically asked about higher prices at holiday times, and was told the $69.95 price would hold. I will get something in writing about that. (Even if the price went up to $80 or $90, as I've seen it do in local hotels during post-disaster hotel booms, that's still much less than the big-city hotels in New Orleans.)

I'm placing "heart of the Meet" from at least the Tuesday after the Super Bowl -- that would be Tues. Feb. 5th -- through the following weekend (Sat Feb. 9th and Sunday Feb. 10th), if not through Fat Tuesday, itself. Anyone who can only come part of that time, or who needs to come earlier or stay longer -- I'd be so pleased! -- PM me so we can hammer out details.

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Picture this:

Morning run, out into the marshes and channels, to run crab traps!

* Blue Crab
* Formerly Blue Crab

The easy way! (I have no idea who Jason is, just envy him his location [Smile] )
There's always this method, or we could stick our necks out...

Depending upon the weather, of course. Some years we'll have a settled Springtime already by mid-February, and some years it's still spitting Winter.

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What a lot of work you have done, and what a fantastic price, two in a room for $70 (plus tax?) Sounds like a go to me!
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

Would a little further away from superbowl be cheaper, say for a night downtown, stay up all night (or as late as old folks can stay awake) at jazz clubs and walk back to hotel? Houston ISD spring break is mid March, don't know when anyone else's is.

But probably the whole spring break season is expensive, N.O. is a spring break magnet. The price you found is amazing.
HISD calendar

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

That price is for the Plantation Inn, which is 45 minutes outside of New Orleans. We are a bedroom community for the city, in some ways, though we have enough tourism and industry and so on all our own.

Because of the span of Mardi Gras season -- it's a whole season here, not just a Tuesday -- and because this year the Super Bowl is smack in the middle of that season -- prices in New Orleans will be on the high side, and many places will demand more than a single night's stay. But, I think the chain hotels will still do a single night. Can look into which date and prices.

And of course there's past Mardi Gras on into March and on to Easter. No law says Shippies can't come then. [Smile]

But for now, I figure just after Super Bowl to just after Mardi Gras, with at least a day in the city in the mix, and day parade in New Orleans if not a night one, and that one night in a hotel (on St. Charles I hope, probably best option)... Or, for hunting jazz venues, maybe deliberately looking for a non-parade night will be best.

I shall continue to cogitate.

--------------------

JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Motherboard says that a tour into the old cemeteries was very interesting, especially Marie LaVeau's grave.

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Yes, I like those walking tours, especially if you luck into an extra-colorful tour guide. But they're all very good, even the "normal" ones. [Smile]

There's always the nighttime tours... with either a pirate or a vampire as your guide.

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

Oh, bopping myself on the head, I was thinking mardi gras Easter, not mardi gras Lent! No wonder I'm scratching my head about March and you're fixed on mid-Feb.

We can't all be brilliant all the time. Some of us barely make it for a glimmering moment on occasion.

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

That's why I make a lot of lists. I usually lose most of them, but some stick with me. [Big Grin]

--------------------

PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
Oh, bopping myself on the head, I was thinking mardi gras Easter, not mardi gras Lent! No wonder I'm scratching my head about March and you're fixed on mid-Feb.

We can't all be brilliant all the time. Some of us barely make it for a glimmering moment on occasion.

Mardi Gras goes from January 6thish to Fat Tuesday, non?

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Yah, come Twelfth Night, it's on. The Phunny Phorty Phellows take care of that.

Things are still happening just when you figure the area's been put to bed for Lent, too. There's always St. Patrick's Day and St. Joseph's Day (this notice was for last year's parades).

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

We won't starve.

We won't starve.

I may need a bigger Dutch oven.

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Sting's Moon Over Bourbon Street

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Opinion has been sounded out so I think this thread can be closed and a new thread opened towards the end of this year or the beginning of next to get the Meet planned and organised.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016