homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Football - Euro 2012 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Football - Euro 2012
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Were my 'Spurs established yesterday afternoon? I still say the managers should play poker or maybe darts!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I suppose I could start a Hell thread but here's a white, well-heeled European male asserting that there's no problem with racism in football. You can read the article and tell me if you don't think there's one law for the suits and another for the players.

Naturally he's tried to make out that he's been misquoted but a skilled politician like Blatter knows his way round the block. To paraphrase Nye Bevan from fifty odd years ago, if he's sincere in what he says, he's too stupid to remain president of FIFA.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well yes.

But most of Blatter's pronouncements reflect the fantasy universe which he wishes to construct rather than reality. Like women's soccer uniforms consisting of hot pants and sports bras. They guy's a jerk.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yup, and he has a piss-poor excuse for a name!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

My side's number three! My side's number three! Leapfrogged over Chelsea and Newcastle. Could this be another world-class season for Spurs?

--------------------

Eldo
Shipmate
# 1861

- Posted      Profile for Eldo   Email Eldo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Down in this neck of the woods, the discussion is about which of our fixtures the Metropolitan Police will move first. 17th of September is a likely early candidate.

Flicking through I initially read this as 'which fixture will the Metropolitan Police move first' Then I realised that no one else would be thinking about the glories of the Isthmian Premier League [Waterworks]

The glories of mid table obscurity in the non league mean the only thing we (Carshalton Athletic since you ask) still have any propect of winning is the Surrey Senior Cup. The filth beat us 5-0 in the league and not a single one of their players is actually a copper.

Posts: 245 | From: Sutton/City | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
wanderingstar
Shipmate
# 10444

- Posted      Profile for wanderingstar   Email wanderingstar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gary Speed RIP [Votive]

--------------------
You know what you shouldn't have done? You should never have let me press all those buttons...

Posts: 273 | From: Hollow lands and hilly lands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well the FA Cup draw has now happened. I did like it when Man City were drawn against Man U! Charlton have an away match at Fulham - should be a good game and we could get an upset although I would have prefered to be at home (Although in Charltons case as we have a Premiership stadium it wouldn't be as much an advantage)

I have now got to my first match of the season, not a Charlton game but York City - who beat Kettering 7-0! (Kettering being another team on the brink of bankruptcy) Charlton though still going strong in league one, looks like we should be in the Championship next year.

Roll on 3rd round weekend.

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
wanderingstar
Shipmate
# 10444

- Posted      Profile for wanderingstar   Email wanderingstar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And that FA Cup draw takes on extra flavour after last nights (heartbreaking [Razz] ) ECL exits.

As a former resident of Floyd Rd, I'm very happy to see CAFC flying. The fans and the stadium deserve bigger, better times.

Is Chris Powell the real deal? Here's hoping.

--------------------
You know what you shouldn't have done? You should never have let me press all those buttons...

Posts: 273 | From: Hollow lands and hilly lands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingstar:

Is Chris Powell the real deal? Here's hoping.

Well he's doing a good job at the moment. As long as we keep him, even if things start to go wrong this year, we need to keep with him. He changed the squad totally this year - 19 new players came in the summer, which has helped. There was a negative atmosphere over the past few years, almost since Curbishley left. Hopefully now we have turned the corner and can do something about it!

Tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Time to buy a new Sat Nav. Manchester is no longer in Europe.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well they are - in the Europa league. Mancini's already said he's going to take it seriously, but can anyone realistically see Fergie putting out the Scum's first choice team for it?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Oh, and Spurs won again yesterday, defeating West Brom, though I missed it. Pity there were so many injuries. Still, we're solidly in third place and looking forward to the next match against Cheltenham.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Did anyone else see Tim Howard's goal yesterday? I hate to think what Owen Coyle must have been saying on the touchline. [Help]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
Did anyone else see Tim Howard's goal yesterday? I hate to think what Owen Coyle must have been saying on the touchline. [Help]

And a lot of good it did us! The wrong Cahill won the game for Bolton. Anybody want a time-expired attacking midfielder?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Did anyone else see Tim Howard's goal yesterday?

Definitely one for "What Happened Next" in a few years' time!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love how stoic he remains. I would have been jumping up and down and doing the celebration dance I had been dreaming up all those years.

By the way, has anyone else noticed that Man U. has lost two in a row? One of those at home to relegation-bound Blackburn. Could the wheals be falling off that dynasty? Or has my year away from fantasy premiere league caused me to miss key injuries which explain the Devil's form?

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Yeah, Vidic and Fletcher are out for the season, Ferdinand is in-and-out, Cleverley and Young are also injured so they had to play Giggs and Jones in the middle of midfield for the Blackburn game. I think there is definitely a chance that the wheels could come off a bit in the next few weeks.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
I love how stoic he remains. I would have been jumping up and down and doing the celebration dance I had been dreaming up all those years.

From hearing him quoted on the radio tonight he said that he felt slightly guilty and sorry for it (as I think he was on the recieving end of something similar in a reserve game once) Can anyone name the other goal keepers who have scored in the Premiership?

Looking forward to FA cup weekend this week - hoping for an upset at Fulham!

--------------------
My allotment blog

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Schmeichel got a couple from corners, didn't he?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

Yep, there are at least two others I can think of.

--------------------
My allotment blog

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
it was on a news article earlier today - Friedel got a similar one against a former England keeper whose name I can't remember.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No, I'm getting confused with his goal from a corner

the other long range goal was Robinson, against Foster

[ 05. January 2012, 21:04: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
it was on a news article earlier today - Friedel got a similar one against a former England keeper whose name I can't remember.

I heard it a few months ago in a quiz and Howards goal reminded me of it. And yes, you have them all I think.

--------------------
My allotment blog

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Day:
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:

I heard it a few months ago in a quiz and Howards goal reminded me of it. And yes, you have them all I think.
Back when footballs were muddy sodden lumps and not the kids toys that weigh about six ounces I just remember Pat Jennings scoring from his own area against the Mancs.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

United luck, eh?

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

Well, Henry doesn't seem to have lost much! There was never going to be anyone else going to score the winning goal was there!

A good weekend of FA Cup football. The Manchester derby was good, even with the Ref trying to ruin it. A couple of good upsets (even though I am hoping Weds will tire themselves out in the cup so we can beat them in the league) Scholes and Henry coming back - what the Manchester Utd midfield must be thinking...

And Charlton lost 4-0. Hey Ho!

Tom

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Spurs should have won the last match: we'd have been second in the rankings. Now if we can only beat City next weekend, we shall be.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Did you see the game, Sir Kevin? I thought Wolves deserved their point.

--------------------
Brian Clough

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I've only ever seen Charlton play twice in the flesh as it were. And they let in four goals both times [Snigger]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Did you see the game, Sir Kevin? I thought Wolves deserved their point.

I did see it. I wish they dan't gotten that point, but they played much better than we did in the first half. I was on the edge of my seat until we scored the equalizer in the second half. I really wish we'd won: I know we can beat City next weekend.

--------------------

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

I've only ever seen Charlton play twice in the flesh as it were. And they let in four goals both times [Snigger]
Wish you'd have come and seen them against us (Sheffield Wednesday) on Saturday - we might have got a better result then...

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stejjie:
Wish you'd have come and seen them against us (Sheffield Wednesday) on Saturday - we might have got a better result then...

I think the magic only works at the Den. Something to do with fifteen or so thousand very loud people all shouting wordless noise at the same time. Forget about clever songs and tricksy little slogans, just open your mouth and chant "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...." as loud as you can.

--------------------
Ken

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

quote:
Originally posted by Stejjie:
quote:
quote:

After Saturdays win, and then hoping we beat Sheffied Utd on Sat (playing at home) I am getting more and more relaxed about this season. We seem to be playing well, winning the matches that matter and scoring goals. Chrissy Powell for England? [Biased]

--------------------
My allotment blog

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Liverpool..... [brick wall]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Spurs match should have been a draw or a win for Spurs: Ballotelli of City deserved a red card which he didn't get. He has form with a red card last year. It will take us longer to become number one now...
[Mad]

--------------------

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have supported Charlton since 1947 when I was a kid in Zimbabwe and listened to them win the FA Cup. They had a South African, John Hewi playing for them.

They have gone down the plughole since but presently top League 1.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Meant to add that I am not enamoured with present styles of play and no longer bother to watch Premiership stuff.

Its all about knocking the ball square ( or backwards) interminably allowing the opposition to get 11 men behind the ball. 9 times out of 10 the eventual final pass into a crowded penalty area is blocked and the whole painful procedure starts again. Square passes, back passes, an eventual foray into a crowded penalty area with no result. BORING BORING BORING

[ 22. January 2012, 19:34: Message edited by: shamwari ]

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Well, that violent, bigoted rat bastard from Italy finally got sent off, but whither us? Will they subtract the goal the dumb shit scored and take two points off City? Will Spurs become 2nd in the standings some time soon? When will it happen? We should have won that match, but then we do have a 40-year-old keeper from the US. I hope he's not past it?

--------------------

Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
Liverpool..... [brick wall]

Maybe something can be salvaged from the season. Though to be honest I think we are more likely to lose against teams like Cardiff than Man C.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Well, that violent, bigoted rat bastard from Italy finally got sent off, but whither us? Will they subtract the goal the dumb shit scored and take two points off City? Will Spurs become 2nd in the standings some time soon? When will it happen? We should have won that match, but then we do have a 40-year-old keeper from the US. I hope he's not past it?

I'll have you know that Mario Balotelli is being victimised! According to his agent that is.

Aww. Poor lamb. [Frown]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

We both read the same story in the Guardian apparently. The agent is a dumb shit too!

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

well, let's hope the Ayr and Kilmarnock supporters in tomorrow's semi final can show the Old Firm how a local derby should be played/supported.
As a Killie fan I'm sad not to be able to go, but I'm expecting a win, and therefore planning to attend the final.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Good news: A win for Everton, over Man City no less. Always good to beat the dirty b******s, who are earning a reputation as the Leeds United of the 21st century.

Bad news: it gives Man Utd a better chance of winning the Premiership.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Bad news: it gives Man Utd a better chance of winning the Premiership.

I guess that's true, but I think there are plenty of twists left in the story before the end of the season. United look capable of dropping points, and they don't even have any players in Africa right now. They're also a different team without Rooney, so any injury to him will set them back. I'm firmly in the ABU camp, and I haven't given up hope yet.

Once City get Kompany fit and Yaya Toure back, they'll look the better team again. All that remains to be seen is whether they've got the bottle.

--------------------
Brian Clough

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

I have a ticket for Millwall away at West Ham on Saturday. Deeply unsure about this. But we will see.

--------------------
Ken

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Did you go, ken?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Jigsaw
Shipmate
# 11433

- Posted      Profile for Jigsaw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I have a ticket for Millwall away at West Ham on Saturday. Deeply unsure about this. But we will see.

Why "deeply unsure"? Fear of crowd trouble, or of the result?

I went and can report no problems off the pitch and precious little joy on it.

--------------------
You are not alone in this.

Posts: 743 | From: Snorbens, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I am really bloody annoyed that the score of the Spurs/City game was not revised downwards to a draw when Balotelli was red-carded. Why should someone who had no business being in the match be allowed to score a bogus goal!? Also, why the hell don't those idiot Fox Soccer Channel executives, who are apparently die-hard Manchester sides supporters, televise all of the Spurs Matches? [Mad] [Votive] I can only pray that Chelsea, the posh side, wins their next match against City...

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

so, how much of his officially-not-a-bonus-bonus has happy Harry slipped fabby Fabio's way to move over ?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016