homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Football - Euro 2012 (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Football - Euro 2012
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone want to start a "Wenger for England" campaign?

He's been in England long enough to qualify as "honorary Brit"; he has a proven track record of developing young players and getting them to play in a way that will work against foreign teams; AND he has palpably reached the end of his time at Arsenal.

What can 'Arry offer? Blood sweat and tears. My guess is that if 'Arry gets the job, we'll see England yet again flattering to deceive. There'll be lots of energy, a few decent results against minnows and then as soon as England come up against the likes of Germany, Holland or Spain, their lack of technical ability and tactical nous will be horribly exposed.

Bring in Wenger to oversee the whole development of the England team from the youngsters up to the first team. We'd have a slight chance of becoming a serious contender for the semi-finals of a competition - which is all you can ever really ask of an England manager. And, as Zambia have just shown in the African Cup of Nations, once a team gets to the semi-finals, ANYTHING is possible. England's problems have been that (excepting Ramsey and Robson), no manger has ever looked capable of getting us as far as the semi-finals.

(Yes - I am aware that England got to the semi-finals in Euro 96 under Venables. But on that occasion, England were playing at home and also incredibly fortunate to get past Spain in the Qtr finals. England never looked like worthy semi-finalists under Venables. In many ways, I see 'Arry as being Venables Mk II)

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's no chance of Arsene Wenger becoming an 'Honorary Englishman'. We might do that for Germans, Americans and even Irishmen who try to blow us up, but not Frenchmen.

I really can't understand the 'It must be an Englishman' outcry. It's not as if Englishmen have done especially well. Graham Taylor, Glenn Hoddle and Steve MacLaren we all woeful and while Erickson and Capello were flawed they were excellent managers: I suppose they stood up to the press and the fourth estate didn't like it.

Moreover where are the Englishmen? 'Arry is 64 and isn't in the best of health. There are more Premiership managers from Glasgow than from the whole of England and it's fair to say that the Glaswegians are doing rather better.

Given the limited resources any England manager will have (ie, English players only) I'd suggest, rather regrettably, that my club's manager, David Moyes would do well. He's managed well on limited cash, he could do as well on limited availability.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I, too, find the "It Must be a Brit" campaign baffling. Get the best manager possible, regardless of their nationality.

If you're going to stick with Brits only, then my choice would be Martin O'Neill - who has proved time and again his ability to get the best out of average players. David Moyes would also fit that bill. If you restrict your self just to ENGLISH managers - well..... Ummm...... Paul Ince? Alan Shearer? Stuart Pearce? It wouldn't be long before England would be in the same seeding pool as Azerbaijan and Moldova.

'Arry's abilities have always been in the field of wheeling and dealing - bringing in players who will do a job and moving on players who can't. As England manager, you don't have that luxury! You have to deal with the players available and that is always a pretty limited pool (unless, like Graham Taylor, you choose to consider absolute donkeys - then you have whole lot more possibilities to consider but at the same time you eliminate any faint hopes of success).

--------------------

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Moreover where are the Englishmen? 'Arry is 64 and isn't in the best of health. There are more Premiership managers from Glasgow than from the whole of England and it's fair to say that the Glaswegians are doing rather better.

Neil Warnock is currently unemployed. Or, better yet, take Steve McClaren's new Dutch accent and you have the best of both the gritty English and nuanced European worlds*.

But more seriously, I think 'Arry would be mad to leave Spurs now. And especially for England - that job is a poisoned chalice. He's building something good at White Heart Lane and I think it would be a shame for him to leave that behind. On the other hand, if I am wearing my Chelsea shirt, anything to destabilize Spurs right now would be welcome. Rednapp for England!

The other thing that occurred to me is that the parallels with the England rugby team are interesting. They've appointed a temporary coach and thrown in a load of youngsters for the start of the Six Nations. If they can come through that tournament without embarrassing themselves then that'll give them a load of good experience for the permanent coach to build on. Perhaps that's what the footballers need this summer - someone temporary to blood the next generation without the pressure of a long-term contract.

* I can't take credit for that thought - it was posted on the Guardian's minute-by-minute coverage yesterday.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
Did you go, ken?

Of course! A couple of hours basically standing on an outside staircase in freezing cold wind getting shouted at and shouting back, with no booze or fags (well, not officially anyway - wherever the Millwall go there is some corner of a foreign field that is for a short while the Cold Blow Lane End), then kettled by the Met for a bit in the street outside, then slowly marched to the Tube through the back alleys of a council estate with police on both sides of us (dogs! horses! helicopters!), being rather embarrassed at a certain amount of racist chanting by a minority of fellow supporters, then briefly running the gauntlet of someone (couldn't see who) throwing oranges and tomatoes at someone else (couldn't see who) over the heads of ourselvbes and the double line of police keeping Us from Them (or was it Them from Us?) and put on a specially comandeered train with two cops in each doorway and the driver under instructions not to open the doors till we got back to central London - which kind of confused and irritated the passengers waiting at West Ham and Mile End and Poplar and so on, then all off at Tower Hill which really did confuse the tourists taking pictures. Sudden arrival of maybe a thousand Millwall fans, and about ten police vants witl blues and twos.

There was one great goal. And two crappy ones [Frown]

And the really, really, odd experience of being the bad guys. Police waiting at the station, for us. Police dogs barking in the street, at us. Mothers taking their children into the house and locking their doors because of us (quite literally). Shopkeepers shutting their doors and drawing down the blinds as we pass. That's a strange feeling.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Neil Warnock is currently unemployed. Or, better yet, take Steve McClaren's new Dutch accent and you have the best of both the gritty English and nuanced European worlds*.

Chris Hughton has a reputation for taking disparate third-class players and getting tight second-class performance out of them. That's what England need, someone to stand up to the prima donnas.

quote:

But more seriously, I think 'Arry would be mad to leave Spurs now.

Look on it as an act of charity. Working-class east-ender, left school at 14, illiterate, 65 years old in a few weeks, no private pension, been in trouble with the law, heavy-drinking, unfit, overweight, serious heart problems - in these hard times what possible job could he get?

--------------------
Ken

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
(Yes - I am aware that England got to the semi-finals in Euro 96 under Venables. But on that occasion, England were playing at home and also incredibly fortunate to get past Spain in the Qtr finals.

I'm not sure you can say that winning a quarter final on penalties counts as incredibly fortunate while writing off losing a number of quarter finals on penalties as being rubbish. In all cases we'd achieved a draw against strong opposition.

Either we were unlucky not to reach the semis in all those other tournaments, or we were worthy semi finalists in 96. You can't honestly claim that both are false.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There can be only one choice:

Someone with experience
Who's worked abroad
Is Saes (English), something to please the Barry Fry-type mentality
He'd want the job
He's a yes man, which the FA would love
The media like him
Unlike Redknapp, his club wouldn't have the resources to fight financially tooth and nail to keep him

Step forward: Roy Hodgson.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
I'm not sure you can say that winning a quarter final on penalties counts as incredibly fortunate while writing off losing a number of quarter finals on penalties as being rubbish. In all cases we'd achieved a draw against strong opposition.

Either we were unlucky not to reach the semis in all those other tournaments, or we were worthy semi finalists in 96. You can't honestly claim that both are false.

My point is that, even in '96, England didn't look like a credible semi-finalist team. England were fortunate to get to penalties against Spain. Once there, for once, Spain performed worse than England (a mistake they have tried hard to avoid ever since).

Only under Ramsey(!) and Robson did the England team look like it belonged on the mainstage of world (or even European) football. For a moment under Erikson, I thought that things were changing, but he lost his nerve (especially against 10 man Brazil) and we quickly saw England reverting to type.

(To be honest, I don't think that England's poor record at penalties is unlucky. Failure is too common - especially compared to the regular successes of the likes of Germany and Spain. It MAY be a failure to prepare properly. My guess, though, is that there is now a collective failure of nerve and imagination. England players go into shoot-outs believing that all is already doomed. Such desperation almost inevitably leads to poor kicks and defeat.)

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Harry Redknapp should be England's manager as my side still have an excellent opportunity to win the Premiership this season. I hope we win big this weekend.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It won't be but it should be Mourinho. If there is a non Brit who people would go..."Yeah, give him a chance." its the special one.

Redknap hasn't really done that much, to be honest. Got Spurs to 4th. Ok. Apart from that, one FA cup with a team that he overpaid for.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
What can 'Arry offer? Blood sweat and tears. My guess is that if 'Arry gets the job, we'll see England yet again flattering to deceive. There'll be lots of energy, a few decent results against minnows and then as soon as England come up against the likes of Germany, Holland or Spain, their lack of technical ability and tactical nous will be horribly exposed.

Too right, Oscar the Grouch. Wenger is an interesting idea but does he have the tactical nous that England would need to beat the best teams? I'm not sure. For this reason, my pick would be Rafa Benitez. The man who won the Champions League with Igor Biscan and Djimi Traore (yeah, and a fair bit of luck too!). I'd be stunned if Benitez actually got the job but I think he could do well.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Luck my arse. We beat some quality teams that season, and scored more goals against Milan in six minutes that the mancs would manage in two games that season.

Biscan didn't play in the final. Traore did a goalline clearance in the final. It should be remembered, that many good teams have had shite players in them (in the mancs' case, have won leagues with them).

In any case, Rafa would be good for that lot, but he's too good a gentleman for them. In any case, due to the low quality of football journalism in GB, he's not got a good reputation.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Harry needs to stay at Spurs: if he pulls off winning the premiership, he should win a knighthood for services to sport! I missed the last twenty minutes of the match today, but 70 minutes in it was already five-nil...
[Yipee]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Suarez [brick wall]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Jigsaw
Shipmate
# 11433

- Posted      Profile for Jigsaw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Did you go, ken?

Of course! A couple of hours basically standing on an outside staircase in freezing cold wind getting shouted at and shouting back, with no booze or fags (well, not officially anyway - wherever the Millwall go there is some corner of a foreign field that is for a short while the Cold Blow Lane End), then kettled by the Met for a bit in the street outside, then slowly marched to the Tube through the back alleys of a council estate with police on both sides of us (dogs! horses! helicopters!), being rather embarrassed at a certain amount of racist chanting by a minority of fellow supporters, then briefly running the gauntlet of someone (couldn't see who) throwing oranges and tomatoes at someone else (couldn't see who) over the heads of ourselvbes and the double line of police keeping Us from Them (or was it Them from Us?) and put on a specially comandeered train with two cops in each doorway and the driver under instructions not to open the doors till we got back to central London - which kind of confused and irritated the passengers waiting at West Ham and Mile End and Poplar and so on, then all off at Tower Hill which really did confuse the tourists taking pictures. Sudden arrival of maybe a thousand Millwall fans, and about ten police vants witl blues and twos.

There was one great goal. And two crappy ones [Frown]

And the really, really, odd experience of being the bad guys. Police waiting at the station, for us. Police dogs barking in the street, at us. Mothers taking their children into the house and locking their doors because of us (quite literally). Shopkeepers shutting their doors and drawing down the blinds as we pass. That's a strange feeling.

As a West Ham fan who was at the game, but coming in peace here:
I agree: the reaction of the police and public to our match is over the top these days. It's almost as unpleasant for us as it is for you, believe it or not.
But why moan about the lack of booze and fags or the cold weather? We both support Championship sides with all the attendant discomforts that implies.
You think it was cold at Upton Park for a lunchtime kick-off? You've never been to Ipswich, Reading or Sheffield United as an away supporter at an evening game, then?

--------------------
You are not alone in this.

Posts: 743 | From: Snorbens, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A joke going around at the moment is a phone conversation between Harry and Fabio. Harry is saying "I got off" and Fabio replies "No way. OK a bet's a bet".

Five-nil. You beauties!

[ 12. February 2012, 06:22: Message edited by: The Rogue ]

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
Suarez [brick wall]

My thoughts exactly. [brick wall]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
# 3200

He's now apologised and so has Dalglish. The bigger the Dalglish boss also indicated Suarez needs to start acting like the team he plays for. Man U accepts apologies.

Sanity prevails, eventually.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Sanity prevails, eventually.

I fear that the damage might already be done.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sorry to break in like this, but I just have to tell you about my experience of watching the Africa Cup final in Africa. Yesterday night I was in a neighbourhood on the outskirts of a Mozambican city, together with hundreds of people sitting and standing under a starry sky, watching the game projected on a bed sheet tied to one of the shacks.

I know it's a cliché, but the sheer joy of the people being able to watch the game was very contagious indeed. There especially was much laughter when Zambian goalkeeper Mweene mocked star player Drogba after having missed the penalty. In spite of the 0-0, it was a good game. And of course, Mozambicans where quite happy when their neighbour Zambia beat the favourites Ivory Coast.

It was an evening I won't soon forget.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by Jigsaw:

But why moan about the lack of booze and fags or the cold weather? We both support Championship sides with all the attendant discomforts that implies.
You think it was cold at Upton Park for a lunchtime kick-off? You've never been to Ipswich, Reading or Sheffield United as an away supporter at an evening game, then?

I've been to Preston and Burnley in sub-zero temperatures... snow on the pitch... but at least they sold us drinks!

--------------------
Ken

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

Watched it on telly in the pub. Not many there, and not many African. At the start of the match "Oh, what's this, do we really want to watch, who are Zambia anyway?" At the end, practically cheering.

We're going to see more of Mweene I think. I imagine his agent has been on the phone a lot already. And when he stepped up to take his own penalty you could see it coming. He deserved that. Especially after his previous save was disallowed.

--------------------
Ken

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

Also I hadn't realised that this was at the same place a previous Zambian World Cup squad were killed in a plane crash in 1994. So hugely emotional for them I guess.

--------------------
Ken

Jigsaw
Shipmate
# 11433

- Posted      Profile for Jigsaw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Watched it on telly in the pub. Not many there, and not many African. At the start of the match "Oh, what's this, do we really want to watch, who are Zambia anyway?" At the end, practically cheering.

We're going to see more of Mweene I think. I imagine his agent has been on the phone a lot already. And when he stepped up to take his own penalty you could see it coming. He deserved that. Especially after his previous save was disallowed.

Watched it on TV at home. The honest joy of the players was wonderful to see, like the Ghanaian team in the World Cup, rather than the grandstanding of many UK sides. Football handshakes have been much in the news, but the one between Mweene and Bubakar, the goalies, was the real deal.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
ken: Also I hadn't realised that this was at the same place a previous Zambian World Cup squad were killed in a plane crash in 1994. So hugely emotional for them I guess.
Yes, definitely.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

...day before yesterday my Spurs had a nil-nil draw against bloody Stevenage! That's ninety minutes wasted that I'll never get back.

Oh well, it's not like we missed out on two points like we did when that bigoted rat bastard Italian from Manchester kicked our man in the head after he likely had someone bribe the ref to look the other way and not give him a red card on the spot several matches ago!

Still [Mad] and [Disappointed]

Excuse my French, but why is this mother-fucker still playing?

--------------------

# 3200

And they wonder why people in Liverpool and Manchester keep chanting about Hillsborough and Munich at each other.

The guys a flake but your idea that a ref was bribed is down there with the Liverpool people who did Youtube videos supposedly proving Evra didn't go to shake Suarez's hand.

BTW, I'm pretty sure Stevenage is happy to be playing your lot again. There was a time when the average football fan got that aspect of the FA cup.

Frankly, if that's the attitude of the average Spurs fan about the FA Cup, why don't you holler for your cheeky chappy dog owning manager to play your youngsters and leave the cup to people that give a darn still.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Point taken: would that Van der Vaart was well and we had played better. Gareth Bale was slacking off. I do take the FA cup seriously in actuality!

--------------------

Rosa Winkel

# 11424

Let's get this straight. Hundreds of Liverpool fans sing about Munich. The whole Stretford End sing about Hillsborough. There is no comparison.

What the hell has happened to Chelsea? They, like Arsenal remind me of us in the early 90s.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
What the hell has happened to Chelsea?

Our chickens have come home to roost. I think the problems are long-term and systemic in the club: questionable transfer policy, patchy youth development, the board's habit of firing managers, and a few senior players who think they own the place. The reason it's all bubbled to the surface now is that AVB has lost the dressing room because of his stubborn insistence on playing a system for which we don't have the right personnel and the inevitable clash of egos as he tries to move the old guard on.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

DISASTER STRUCK IN THE LONDON DERBY TODAY. FILM AT ELEVEN...
[brick wall] [Help]

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

To a Mr. Friedl of White Hart Lane:

You bumbling incompetent old fart, you dumb-shit American! You have nearly put the Premiereship out of reach and let my colleague's idiot side into the fray. Why the hell didn't you tell your boss to bring in a young, competent, international sub for the second half? You are as stupid and noxious as the day is long! Why don't you just move to Leisure World? You'd blend in perfectly with the old dears.

I'd like to send this as an open letter to Mr. Pleat of the Guardian football pages, but I shan't.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I just watched the highlights, and I'm not sure that it was Freidel's fault. Perhaps he should have saved the fifth goal, but the game was already lost by then so it wouldn't have made a difference. The first two goals were unstoppable, Rosicki's should have been covered by the defender, and Theo's first was an uncharacteristically good strike. I'd look at Harry's tactics (Parker and Modric were overrun in midfield) and the back four's organization if you need a scapegoat.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Upon further reflection, I do agree: Modric did screw up big time before and after he got the yellow card. Bale and Adebayor were definitely off form. We absolutely must win the next match and the Manchester sides must start losing!

--------------------

pjl
Shipmate
# 16929

- Posted      Profile for pjl   Email pjl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is in Spurs hands to ensure that one of the
Manchester teams loses this weekend

Posts: 576 | From: england | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

So I see: I looked up the football section in The Guardian.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Carefree, wherever we may be,
We are the famous CFC,
And we don't give a fuck,
whoever you may be.

We all follow the Chelsea!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Jigsaw
Shipmate
# 11433

Patrice Muamba, Bolton player, collapsed on the pitch during the game - obviously life-threatening situation, no other players around, paramedics gave resuscitation including defibrillation, on the pitch, he is now in hospital.
Match abandoned, quite rightly.
[Votive] that all will be well.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Yeah, brings things into perspective.

[Votive]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Rosa Winkel

# 11424

He's in a "stabile condition", apparently.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Stable but still in intensive care was the last I heard.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I pray that he lives and makes a full recovery. He is a father.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anything Beck's can do.....

c 1:10 onwards, sorry, UK only.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Ooo - I was going to resurrect this thread so I can gloat about Chelsea's recent performances. How awesome were they last night?!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Ooo - I was going to resurrect this thread so I can gloat about Chelsea's recent performances. How awesome were they last night?!

They were hardly awesome but they contained brilliantly and beat Barcelona. They played like a very good German team might. This sort of thing happens to Barcelona more often than one would expect.

Not sure they can do it two matches out of two though.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

Oh, they will almost certainly lose next week.

In better news, this week was the week the League Championship (which really ought to be called the Second Division) finally started to come right for this season. A pity it took seven and a half months...

--------------------
Ken

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:
Oh, they will almost certainly lose next week.

They said this about last night's game as well. [Razz]

--------------------
Brian Clough

# 3200

Saw Becks back in March in front of 48K in the Concacaf Champions League here in Toronto. Frings had him for lunch all night with Beck ending up playing a Deep DM role in order to get the ball.

He really should not be playing for GB at the Olympics - his form is very poor.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Saw Becks back in March in front of 48K in the Concacaf Champions League here in Toronto. Frings had him for lunch all night with Beck ending up playing a Deep DM role in order to get the ball.

He really should not be playing for GB at the Olympics - his form is very poor.

Maybe the idea is to use him in the role a captain plays in the Ryder Cup?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016