homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Football - Euro 2012 (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Football - Euro 2012
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yeah - he's chief cheerleader and marketing opportunity. Any resemblance to a top-rate footballer is purely coincidental.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Oh, they will almost certainly lose next week.

Would you like some ketchup with that humble pie, ken?

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Overused] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, there's still time for West Ham not to get promoted, which will restore the balance of justice.

(We had pie and mash on Monday watching them beat poor unfortunate Leicester on TV. The pie wasn't very humble, but neither were the West Ham fans)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Well, there's still time for West Ham not to get promoted, which will restore the balance of justice.

(We had pie and mash on Monday watching them beat poor unfortunate Leicester on TV. The pie wasn't very humble, but neither were the West Ham fans)

I have this dream that for the second time in three years unfancied Blackpool will beat the smart-alecks to a place in the Premiership.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I have this dream that for the second time in three years unfancied Blackpool will beat the smart-alecks to a place in the Premiership.

So, I'm sure, do Blackpool. And they will do all they can to make it happen. So perhaps they will want to keep their powder dry for the last game of the regular season, conserving their energies, avoiding injuries, taking few risks, not getting any cards, playing cautiously, not worrying too much if they fall behind a little - and so give Millwall the chance for a sixth win in a row [Snigger]

--------------------
Ken

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hadn't realised The Lions had done so well recently! Blackpool always get a warm welcome at The Den; warmer than that which other seaside teams get anyway.

Elsewhere, don't let me hear any of those Premiership managers complain about fixture congestion.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I suppose The Rain in Spain is falling mainly on the Big Two's fans. [Snigger]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I once watched a team I hate play in the semi-final of the European Cup. They were playing away and went 2-0 down to a quality team. Their captain got booked, and would miss the final. So did one of their midfielders. That was 1999.

The last time a team played in their own stadium for the final of the European Cup, they played a team from England. And lost.

I can't stand Munich either. When I lived in Dachau I got to see plenty wools. I daresay they don't know who Bayern will play this weekend.

While Madrid have Alonso and Arbeloa, they also have Ronaldo and the fascist-liking manager.

Maybe I'll miss the final.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I give up: my Spurs are done for and mired in fifth. I'll cheer for Barcelona and City. We jolly well better beat Rovers!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Hodgson for England? Dear, oh dear.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:

Roy's a senior manager, but then Jeremy Irons is a senior actor so it doesn't mean he's any good. National championships in Sweden, UEFA runners-up twice and getting Switzerland to the World Cur finals is about it. That isn't a world-class manager's record (and 'urry up 'Arry's isn't either).

That said, I doubt the FA want a world class manager. They thought they were getting that with Sven and Fabio, but the latter was exclusively a club manager. They will feel that Hodgson is 'sound'. He won't rock the boat but it won't go forward at a great pace either.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Jigsaw
Shipmate
# 11433

- Posted      Profile for Jigsaw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Why? Because you don't think he's up to the job? He has a good track record, including in European competitions.
Or is it because, like me, you think he's a decent guy, a good manager, royally dumped on by the Liverpool owners, and would now like to see him carry on with the decent job he's doing at West Brom?
Mind you, if you rule out 'Arry, (and it seems that 'Arry has ruled himself out) - who else is there, given that the PTB have decreed it must be an Englishman?

--------------------
You are not alone in this.

Posts: 743 | From: Snorbens, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Roy Hodgson's a decent guy and a decent manager with a good record. But that is all. He has had two high-profile jobs, Inter and Liverpool, and hasn't set the world alight with either. His successes have either been relative success or as a big fish in a small pool, although he's hardly unusual in that.

If Hodgson was to have had the job it should have been after Sven.

eta: if it must be an Englishman we're stuffed. How many top-notch English managers are there? The Premiership has more from Glasgow alone than from the whole of England!

[ 29. April 2012, 22:51: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Yeah, the country's hamstrung itself in a fit of jingoism. I think Roy is probably the best Englishman available, but I'm sure we could have tempted someone else if the FA had thought that the Sun would have it.

On the other hand, Roy does have a track record of helping mediocre teams avoid relegation, so given England's propensity to be rubbish, perhaps he is ideally suited to the job.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Rosa Winkel

# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He was utterly shite at clubs where something was expected of him. The media have tolerated his rantings in the media, but that'll change. He start spouting all manner of inane and contradictary ramblings when at ours, and he'll be under much more pressure now.

Still, he did well as some Swedish side no-one's heard of about 25 years ago, so who am I to question his talent?

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Better Roy than Harry: we still need Harry at Spurs. Roy sounds like he'd be about as good as anybody....

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I thought this article on ZonalMarking was pretty interesting. Makes a good case for Woy.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Actually, I should clarify. It makes a good case for Hodgson if the only choice is him or Rednapp. It rather avoids the question of who else might have been good if the FA had dared to against the Sun's wishes.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Rosa Winkel

# 11424

I don't know about how things sound with this season's results (what with that terrible result of ours a few weeks ago), but there's a statistic that Kenny Dalglish has won more trophies as manager in England than Roy Hodgson has won away games as manager in England.

One thing's certain, his man-management skills will mean that Joe Cole will never play for the saes again.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
I thought this article on ZonalMarking was pretty interesting. Makes a good case for Woy.

That just leads me to a Facebook malware warning. Have you got a link to the original?

--------------------
Ken

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Sorry about that. Try this link instead.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:

It makes you wonder why anyone could ever be considered. Why did the FA wait so long? Did they keep quiet until the Baggies were destined for a safe mid-table finish?

I reckon his mum wrote it.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:
Did they keep quiet until the Baggies were destined for a safe mid-table finish?

That seems to be the consensus opinion.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Spurs back in fourth - God willing it's for good.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I assure you - God is not a Spurs fan. [Razz]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

He doesn't think Man U's so hot either!

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Actually, now I stop and think about it, the last few weeks have conclusively proven that God is a Wiganer.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

For the second time in three years the Tangerine Dream lives! Ollie and his boys have taken Blackpool to the Championship play-off final on May 19th, where they play West Ham.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Looks like Alabama is going to have a good year in the newly re-aligned SEC West. Texas A&M won't provide much of a challenge this year, and probably next. I have heard that Auburn is going to make a move for another championship this year, so that will be interesting to watch. In the SEC East, the dog's breakfast from the past three or four years continues. Tennessee is supposedly looking good (first time in five or six years), so maybe they'll give Florida and South Carolina a run for the money. Vandy and Kentucky will suck as always, and Georgia will come out strong and fizzle halfway through the season.

I predict Bama vs. Texas or perhaps Oklahoma for the national championship, with LSU and Auburn playing strong and perhaps going all the way.

Oh, you guys are talking about soccer. I'll get my coat.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

There is an NFL thread which I'm sure could be widened out to college football. [Smile]

--------------------
Brian Clough

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
For the second time in three years the Tangerine Dream lives! Ollie and his boys have taken Blackpool to the Championship play-off final on May 19th, where they play West Ham.

Beat them for us please. We want a chance against them next year.

And meanwhile over in the posh seats, if Manchester City beat QPR (very likely) and Bolton beat Stoke (less likely) then QPR can join West Ham and be forced to play us oiks in the South London Local Derby League. Four away games within a local bus ride!

--------------------
Ken

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Padre Joshua:
Looks like Alabama is going to have a good year in the newly re-aligned SEC West. Texas A&M won't provide much of a challenge this year, and probably next. I have heard that Auburn is going to make a move for another championship this year, so that will be interesting to watch. In the SEC East, the dog's breakfast from the past three or four years continues. Tennessee is supposedly looking good (first time in five or six years), so maybe they'll give Florida and South Carolina a run for the money. Vandy and Kentucky will suck as always, and Georgia will come out strong and fizzle halfway through the season.

I predict Bama vs. Texas or perhaps Oklahoma for the national championship, with LSU and Auburn playing strong and perhaps going all the way.

Oh, you guys are talking about soccer. I'll get my coat.

Drink!

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

What an afternoon! You have to laugh at the City fans who left before the end of extra time. [Killing me]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Anyone else have the idea that Joey Barton, a former Man City player, was trying to help his old club? I thought Balotelli was a headcase but Barton has additional ingredients. If a fan did what he does, he'd be banned from every ground in the Premiership and the Football League.

I noticed the usual gracelessness from SAF, remarking on the opposition having ten men and scoring in added time, like the Mancs have never benefitted from those!

That's all by-play though: the truly important news is that Everton finished ahead of those flash newcomers from the other side of Stanley Park, to whom I sincerely send my best wished for the Cup Final. Really. Yes. ABC (Anyone but Chelsea).

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I'm confused. Which cup final? The one that Chelsea already won? [Confused]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I'm just happy Man U didn't win the Premiereship!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
I'm just happy Man U didn't win the Premiereship!

Well said, Sir K.! [Yipee]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

I'm happy that Chelsea have the chance to deny Spurs a place in the Champions' League. Saturday night just got even bigger! [Two face] [Snigger]

--------------------
Brian Clough

pjl
Shipmate
# 16929

- Posted      Profile for pjl   Email pjl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Man City champions.

Those last 2 games, manure and Newcastle did my heart no good.

Re the game with QPR, I almost died during the last 5 minutes, what a game.

Posts: 576 | From: england | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
I'm confused. Which cup final? The one that Chelsea already won? [Confused]

Yes, I made a mistake, but I'l be supporting another team in red on Saturday.

[edit: [bub] error]

[ 14. May 2012, 21:33: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Chelsea bites! Spurs have light-years more potential than those who did worse: if that bullying Italian thug had gotten a red card in a timely manner whose absence yielded two undeserved free kicks for Roobey, Man City might not be where they are today.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Erm, that would be the dreaded Rooney of whom I spoke...

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

So, (not unexpectedly), Dalglish has gone and, true to form, Liverpool fans desperately cling to the past by hoping Benitez will be named as his successor. Personally, I'd take Martinez over the Spanish Waiter any day of the week. [Razz]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
So, (not unexpectedly), Dalglish has gone and, true to form, Liverpool fans desperately cling to the past by hoping Benitez will be named as his successor.

Don't know about 'hope'. More, 'Who would be mad enough to accept a role that requires you to put Liverpool back in the Champions League when all the money's been spent on underperforming flops, which gave Houllier a heart attack, Benítez kidney stones, and Hodgson and Dalglish some fairly rapid P45s, and at a club where all the senior backroom staff have been sacked or resigned?'

[Frown]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Who will win the Champions League? Who cares. I'm already rooting for Atlético Madrid for the UEFA Super Cup. Anything but Chelski.

On more pressing matters. This is the second time in succession that Huddersfield Town have made it to the League 1 Play-off Final, and the third time in three years in the play offs. I'm hoping it's third time lucky and Championship football next season.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
I'd take Martinez over the Spanish Waiter any day of the week. [Razz]

Do you mean to say that Mr. Sachs in his role as Manuel in
Flowery Twats has applied for the position? [Killing me]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
quote:
I'd take Martinez over the Spanish Waiter any day of the week. [Razz]

Do you mean to say that Mr. Sachs in his role as Manuel in
Flowery Twats has applied for the position? [Killing me]

Alfred Sachs is getting on and he's not very well. Yes, I suppose that puts him in contention.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

So... Guess what I'm going to post about today...

Come on Blackpool!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

[Biased]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
So... Guess what I'm going to post about today...

Come on Blackpool!

Indeed! Keep the Tangerine Dream alive! And make West Ham's bid for the Olympic Stadium look utterly hollow. If anybody's interested it ought to become a national athletics stadium, as Crystal Palace is a dump, worse than the old Wembley Stadium in its latter years.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016