homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » July 2012 Fitness Race (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: July 2012 Fitness Race
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We usually run this Fitness Race a couple of times a year, in January and July; encouraging those of us who struggle to maintain a regular exercise habit, a month of logging exercise is thought to be a Good Idea™.:

Following the success of the biannual Fitness Races established in November 2007, I hereby present the July 2012 Fitness Race. The rules are pretty much as cribbed from all the previous races, and just because I'm lazy, the January 2012 Fitness Race is available in Oblivion with links to the January 2009 race in Limbo and on back should anyone need to see how it works.

Those who want to take part please can you sign up here, and record the amount of time you have spent exercising from the 1st July onwards - daily / weekly / whatever is most convenient. The person who spent the most time exercising by the 31st July is the winner.

As before, the aim is to log your hours of fitness activity and watch them accumulate over the month. You can be a serious gym junkie or an occasional cyclist, the important thing is to take some time out of your month to spend being active.

The rules are simple (and almost identical to last time):

It has to be physical activity. It doesn't have to be overly strenuous as long as it's aerobic. After some discussion previously, house work and gardening counts, so long as it's aerobic and so serious welly is put into it, but music practice doesn't.
The race is based on time, rounded to the nearest minute. If you spend 5 minutes walking down the street to buy milk, it counts.
If you're paid to be active (eg. as a builder), you can't count time spent on your job; The rest of us need to have a chance! However, you can count active transport that gets you to work (eg. walking, running, cycling, unicycling...).
You can sign up whenever you like, but you can only count time spent after you sign up.

The race starts at midnight July 1 (local time) and finishes at midnight August 1 (local time).

All right then, tie your shoelaces and get ready to go. Over the previous threads the top 5 people took regular daily exercise, little and often worked. Walking or cycling places is good for you and adds up, so leave the car behind and cut your carbon footprint too. Walking recalcitrant babies or toddlers around the block built up useful amounts. Also use your weekends wisely to take extra exercise.

If you are London based, I'm going to suggest a walk on 7th July - we started trying for a monthly walk, and managed January and March, but have failed pretty much since - Easter, May Day bank holiday and the Jubilee weekend not helping for the first Saturdays of April, May and June. I'll set that one up in All Saints.

Please can I also point people who want to chat about fitness rather than log times to the Fitness Thread, Exercise Book in All Saints.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

- Posted      Profile for Ultracrepidarian   Email Ultracrepidarian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having been absent for several Fitness Races, I'll join in this one and see what I can log on here. It might be an inspiration to try more of the non-climbing things that seem interesting. [Smile]
Posts: 1897 | From: Cattle crossing | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right, this time I'm definitely in. And this time I will stay in right the way through July (though I am away for one week of it so will probably not get to post often).
Here speaketh the woman who's just postponed her appointment at the gym [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

- Posted      Profile for Ultracrepidarian   Email Ultracrepidarian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But obviously you're just postponing it to next week so it counts for the race, aren't you Smudgie?

[Edit to remove pointless smiley]

[ 26. June 2012, 11:14: Message edited by: Ultracrepidarian ]

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Biased]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in. My attack of the mehs hasn't got any better in recent times, maybe my competitive streak will actually get my lazy behind out of the front door...

[ 26. June 2012, 12:33: Message edited by: la vie en rouge ]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
me me me!

desperately need a kick in the ass.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too!
The cumbrae swim is in September, as is a wedding I'd like to be thinner for, so am hoping this might be the push I require.

[ 26. June 2012, 19:10: Message edited by: Tea gnome ]

--------------------
Floating Fund!

harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes I'm in -thanks Curiosity! [Smile]

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blackbeard logging on.

Am I the oldest (68)? anyone else want to claim this honour?

Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm afraid I'm a few years younger, blackbeard. sorry.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please count me in CK. I was hoping I'd see this posted as I missed January, because of pain caused by something the physiotherapist called 'sacro-illiac hypermobility'! Various exercises seem to have done the trick, but I'm keeping fingers crossed!

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll try. July sees me leading two seminars in Germany and I won't have much access to the internet, so my updates will be late. I'll be back on the 30th or 31st though, so will manage to post my updates in time.

I've gained a right belly lately, so some fitness work is very much needed. Luckily both seminars will be in places where one can play football and table-tennis, and hopefully there'll be some lads in my groups up for a kick about.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay... I'm up for it. Comet won by an avalanche last time, but it can't be still snowing?
Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in. Hoping this time will include more hard work type exercise and less (aerobic) walking, but we'll see...
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately due to my current pregnant circumstances I am going to rule myself out at the moment. I am still exercising but at a much reduced level and I know if I sign myself up I will feel as competitive as ever!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by Deputy Verger:
Okay... I'm up for it. Comet won by an avalanche last time, but it can't be still snowing?

nary a flake. and two jobs with 7 days per week of work. I doubt I'll be in the running this time but I'm going to try.

--------------------

Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Count me in. I'll be away the last ten days, but I'll try and log in.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in, and hoping this time I won't be wiped out by a bad cold like I was in January!
Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since changing jobs, I'm a lot less active; my 2 hour round-trip bike commute is now down to 40 minutes - and lo, the tuchis swelleth greatly. I'm going to take a page out of comet's book and try to mix it up with as many different activities as I can.

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in - it would be nice to get my money's worth out of the gym next month (currently averaging 2 visits per week, would like to increase to 4 or 5).
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll have a go. My problem will be remembering to post whenever I do something. Let's see if I can crack that this time.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm considering going to a personal trainer, I hope starting this week. If this isn't considered quite the thing, I'd be happy to sit out, or not count the trainer sessions or something. Does anyone have an opinion? It doesn't seem very fair somehow.
Tg

--------------------
Floating Fund!

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

I have no problem with counting training time

--------------------

Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

I think it's fine to count training sessions.

I'm going to have to work out how much of a day out climbing is actual physical activity and how much is standing around and chatting. [Ultra confused] This may be tricky - my first climbing outing of July will be tomorrow!

Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

Ok, thanks. I was motivated enough to go to the gym place and book an assessment for Monday. Not to actually go to the gym, but, you know, one thing at a time.
Tg

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hope it goes well lad/lass. Any effort to get in shape has to be welcomed, as long as it isn't overdone.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in.

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On your marks...
I'm up and dressed, shoes and socks on!

Get set...
About to go ring the bells up!

GO!

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2 hr 10 min

Up and running ... well, walking!
Long walk, plus two short walks.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cycled to church today (3 miles there, 3 miles back) and spent most of the afternoon shifting furniture, including a (digital) piano and a filing cabinet - does moving furniture count?

Tea gnome, I have had sessions with a personal trainer (Christmas present) and I definitely think you should count them - it's far harder than training by yourself because if you are finding an exercise too easy they will make you do a different one. Worth it though. Good luck.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@JaneR - furniture moving counts - but you haven't given me any times.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

Well, from my flying start I've only got 40 minutes of ringing and 20 minutes of cycling to count, for a round total of one hour meaning already losing on Day One!
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
45 m walking, 35 m runnish, total for first day thus
1 h 20 m

Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

Twenty five minutes today, twelve and a half minutes each way cycling to work.
I know the training sessions will be hard, it's the motivation bit (that is, I'm getting someone else to do my motivation for me) bit that feels a bit cheaty. But thanks or the thoughts and we'll see how it goes [Smile]
Tg

--------------------
Floating Fund!

harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Going for slow but steady....

One hour dog walking Day 1.

Thanks!

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I've got a conundrum. It took me 3½ hours to walk 6 miles today. Now some of that is the number of photos I took (10 minutes hanging around taking pictures of feeding swallows, 10 minutes crawling around the ground looking at a beetle) and I'm going to take off ½ hour for that, but 3 hours for 6 miles is pathetic, even after battling through an overgrown path on a rape field and along the pathway that had been reploughed in. However, I have an excuse for being slow, as I'm recovering from pneumonia. Fit it would take me about 2 - 2½ hours so I'm not sure how much to count.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

it was long after midnight when I rode home from work on my bike - 3:30 am give or take. so - starting out the race with a 35 minute midnight bike ride.

[ 01. July 2012, 23:21: Message edited by: AristonAstuanax ]

--------------------

Just Me
Shipmate
# 14937

- Posted      Profile for Just Me     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spotted this just in time. I'm in. Haven't done anything today so it doesn't matter that I can't count it.

J

Posts: 104 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, whatever. I may as well join.
If watching Le Tour doesn't count, riding my Le Tour should—especially in this heat!
Give me 1 hour on the bike today, please.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heavy rains/thunderstorms put paid to my planned Canada Day bike ride; instead, I got in 30 minutes of house-cleaning and 10 minutes walking to and from the grocery store (where I had a free piece of Canada Day cake, thus negating any minimal fitness benefits realized by the walk).

Ah well, tomorrow is another day . . .

[ 02. July 2012, 02:20: Message edited by: Meg the Red ]

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
75 minutes today, a combination of walking and aerobics.

This should motivate me to get up and go to the pool in the mornings...

[ 02. July 2012, 03:21: Message edited by: Liberty ]

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Throw in another 20 minutes for biking to and from the further Metro stop in order to watch the Tour . . . and drink $2 local microbrews.

Why yes, even if I don't have the greatest time, I've already won.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

OK, posted to here, spreadsheet set up and new people added, those definitely not taking part shuffled out of current list.

I do have every old time barring January 2011 on the spreadsheet, and if I feel enthusiastic / want to procrastinate later I'll put them up so you know comparison times to encourage personal challenging.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a flying start for me, just forty minutes walking. But my Sundays are busy.

I have a dilemma - if I walk home tonight, I will rack up more time but if I go running, I will get more actual real exercise. I probably should get in the cardio... <muses>

[ 02. July 2012, 09:03: Message edited by: la vie en rouge ]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Woop! I'm in and have a secret weapon - dogsitting - to make up for the fact that I'm not moving house this month. Unfortunately one of my regular dancing engagements has also paused for the summer. Ho hum.

On with my idiosyncratic-as-usual posting of times:

Monday, July 2nd:
30 mins walking dog
20 mins walking to work

Total to add: 50 minutes
Toal so far: 50 minutes

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
I've got a conundrum. It took me 3½ hours to walk 6 miles today. Now some of that is the number of photos I took (10 minutes hanging around taking pictures of feeding swallows, 10 minutes crawling around the ground looking at a beetle) and I'm going to take off ½ hour for that, but 3 hours for 6 miles is pathetic, even after battling through an overgrown path on a rape field and along the pathway that had been reploughed in. However, I have an excuse for being slow, as I'm recovering from pneumonia. Fit it would take me about 2 - 2½ hours so I'm not sure how much to count.

If you can walk 6 miles while recovering from pneumonia, I'm impressed. You have earned your 3 hours.
Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

All righty.

Climbing on 1 July

10 minutes of cycling (with a big pack of gear) to/from where we were meeting to go on the trip.

15 minutes of walking (with a big pack of gear) between the car and the crag at the other end.

Now it gets tricky. We got to the crag at about 11am, and left about 7pm. I forgot to time how much time I spent actually climbing. (A lot of climbing is just standing around, anyway.) I climbed ten relatively short routes, and would definitely have spent less than half the time climbing, once you think about belaying, eating, faffing with rope etc. 15 minutes a route would give me 2 hours 30 minutes, which is probably about right (maybe a bit of an underestimate), but doesn't seem much for a full day outside being 'active'!

2 July

So far, 25 minutes of a morning run, and 10 minutes of commuter cycling.

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

Sorry, forgot we had to give times!

In that case my score for 1 July is as follows:

Cycling - 1 hour (about 25 minutes there, 35 minutes back because I went the scenic route)
Furniture moving - about 1.5 hours (we had to empty the bookcase and filing cabinet before we moved them which took a long time).

Total (1 July): 2 hours 30 minutes

Today is a rest day, so I will probably only do the Walk To School, but I may be taking Daughter swimming if she's not too tired. I will post my score for today later on.

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

1 hr 35 min

Raining, so taxi to gym; extra CV to make up for it; walked home, got wet, but that didn't matter.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016