homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » July 2012 Fitness Race (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: July 2012 Fitness Race
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today:
Walking, minor errand, 30 m
coarse gardening 50 m
total for day 1 h 20 m

should go out running. It's raining and I'm feeling tired just thinking about it.

Blackbeard, off to brew a cuppa

Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Monday 2 July 27 minutes

Not as good as yesterday, but still -

15 minutes medium to high-speed walking (inside Tesco's, does that count?)
10 minutes more high-speed walking (giving a new meaning to the phrase 'school run')
2 minutes doing jacks (star jumps / jumping jacks)

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm counting 30 mins of yesterdays walking - the rest was at child's pace.

Today 90 mins walking so far. Planning a run for tonight [Smile]

Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
25 minutes to work and back total.
I went to the gym, but the booking had been a muddled up, so no exercise done. Not to worry, they will phone & make a proper appointment soon.
Tg

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmph, having said I hoped I wouldn't be afflicted by the cold again, I promptly went and caught one. So in two days I've done 30 minutes of walking, which isn't great, but I couldn't really go to a kickboxing class when I have to blow my nose every 10 minutes... Still, later in the week I will be back on form!
Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Better from me today. Walking is a bit hard to calculate - to the metro to get to work and to the supermarket, and also to look at the sales during the lunch hour, which involved quite a lot of mooching. I think I can justify 40 minutes.

On the proper cardio front 1 hour 10 minutes running this evening. Heads up to the unmotivated: stick The Final Countdown on your ipod. Yes, it's cheesy as hell and it is the POWER. (Actually once I get out and hit the road I can feel quite motivated, it's just the getting out there part I have a problem with [Roll Eyes] I think I need a holiday.)

I'm not keeping a running total (no pun intended) because my arithmetic skills are crap.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
yesterday 7/1: 50 minutes walk/run home from performance.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Day 2 - a sad 15 mins walk only (due to poorly child and perpetual rain and too much work)but promise to make up for it tomorrow! [Smile]

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
26 mins running interspersed with 4 mins walking.

Also, I forgot the school run - 20 mins walking (the other half was child pace so not counting it).

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, yes, well, did overdo it yesterday, which means today I'm counting 40 minutes walking to shops and back twice

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Just Me
Shipmate
# 14937

- Posted      Profile for Just Me     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
35 minutes cycling to work - and about the same cycling back.

1hr 10mins

Posts: 104 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Twenty minutes walking at lunchtime including a lot of stairs.

And 2x15 = 30 mins cycling in the evening for a total of 50 minutes for day two.

Need to ramp it up, for genuine reasons, so I really appreciate the motivation this always gives me.

Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
50 minutes of heavy duty cleaning - moving furniture, boxes, yard detritus and firewood. it was couched within about 3 hours of total work, but the rest was more sedate work.

capped off with 35 minutes of belly dancing - just because the music took over and I had to. [Big Grin]

now, to shower and bike in to work. yay! the race is saving me gas.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Golly, I nearly missed this. I'm in.

70 minutes outrigger paddling this evening plus 20 minutes commuter walking.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I failed to get up in time to swim (tomorrow, yes, I will tomorrow)...

But I did go for a long (hot) walk and then do aerobics for a total of 140 minutes

Lib x

(PS, do we need to keep track of our own running totals?)

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Once it finally cooled off, I managed to git out walking for groceries and "is the power still out?" scouting. So chalk me up for another hour and 15-ish minutes

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
now, to shower and bike in to work. yay! the race is saving me gas.

...'cept I procrastinated and was almost late even with the car. BUT! I then took the car to my daughter's place of work and walked home from there, so I can at least tack on an additional 25 minutes to my daily total. if the allergies let up I'm going dancing, too...

(storing up time now 'cause the holiday "weekend" - i.e. wednesday-sunday - is going to suck the life out of me)

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

a sad little 15 minutes of dancing. apparently I can't resist getting all worked up when someone engages me in a conversation about freedom of speech and expression... and the next thing I know the time for dancing is over and it's time to go to bed.

if getting all passionate about local politics would count I'd be the big winner.

--------------------

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blackbeard:
If you can walk 6 miles while recovering from pneumonia, I'm impressed. You have earned your 3 hours.

Seconded.

Monday, July 2nd: (cont)
20 mins walking home from work
60 mins walking dog

Tuesday, July 3rd: (so far)
30 mins walking dog
20 mins walking to work

Total to add: 130 minutes
Toal so far: 180 minutes or 3 hours

OK, so this dog-walking thing is really going to work out for me. Obviously there will be days when I trade off dog-walking for something else with my flatmate, but I definitely feel good about getting off to such a good start. I think the last few races I've joined I have nearly squeaked up to 60 minutes a day, so my target this time is probably to push that all the way up to 90 minutes.

The trick is going to be keeping up a level of activity in August, when I move closer to work and the dog's family gets back. Ho hum.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Liberty:
(PS, do we need to keep track of our own running totals?)

We don't have to, I do because of the weird way my days tend to get split over separate posts - if I add up per post and per day and they come to the same thing then there's a chance my maths has worked! I like to think it helps Curiosity flag up any arithmetical errors too, but I don't know if that's the case.

--------------------

Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

85 mins power walking today and 5 mins "relentless" challenge (see #fitteam12 on twitter for more info)

More walking to come later, and probably a wii game or two...

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1 hr 45 min

Gym, plus walk to, then managed to catch a not-actually-raining 20 min to Tesco.I'd love to walk again this afternoon, but it's no fun with it being so grey, wet and gloomy!

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
70 minutes today cycling. Booked again for personal trainer tomorrow after work, but apparently I won't need my gym things and won't be exercising. [Paranoid]

Tg

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posting a pathetic 15 minutes walking down to the doctor's and back (and missed the drop in appointment window). Grump, I had plans for decorating.

If you keep totals, it helps if you post them because it lets me double check as we go along. If you tell me 3½ weeks in that you don't think our totals match I have to go back through ten pages checking everything, which makes me unhappy.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Harmony Hope, I had exactly the same problem today - confined to the house taking care of indisposed child. So I only managed a pathetic 2 minutes jacks (I did some running up and down stairs too, but not often enough to raise a sweat). I am going to try to do jacks for at least a couple of minutes each day - maybe it will make a difference.

This brings my running total to (checks previous posts) 2 hours 59 minutes which is not even going to get me into the top ten, but never mind - as my daughter said when persuading me to take part in the mother's race last Sports Day, It's Taking Part That Counts.

Just Me
Shipmate
# 14937

- Posted      Profile for Just Me     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1 hr 20 minutes walking to work (about 4.3 miles) and 1 hr 25 walking home again (same route - just slower by then).

So 2 hrs 45 minutes today.
Running total 3 hrs 55 minutes.

Posts: 104 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just 25 mins commuter walking for me today. I'd blame work and rain but the reality is more like white wine and a friend.

--------------------

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
30 minutes walking, 30 minutes swimming, 30 minutes aerobics.

90 minutes today.

Running total... 305minutes.

--------------------

Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1 hour swimming
15 min. walking (hey, it's HOT over here)

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One hour ten minutes walking, tennis and free weights yesterday, followed by 55 minutes cycling and walking today.

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Between going to work, coming back from work, getting off the train and walking on the tracks next to the possibly-still-electrified third rail, walking to the pottery studio, and coming back in the rain . . . let's call it 93 minutes of walking today.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

I'm sick. lame showing. but hey, at least I did something.

15 minutes helping boys with their TKD form - they test tomorrow.

20 minutes giving a tap dancing lesson. (unpaid)

10 minutes hooping in the rain.

for a total of 45 minutes. I'm off to nyquil myself into a coma.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday walked about 20 minutes before work (detour from the usual route because helping a lady from church who needed to get her papers to stay in France and doesn't speak French well), then only 10 minutes on the lunchbreak (went for lunch with a colleague whose boss is dragonbitch from hell - I'm the staff representative and am trying to persuade her to press a harassment charge...), 40 minutes to dinner with friends and another 20 or so to get home. Which makes 1 hour 30 minutes altogether.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

- Posted      Profile for Ultracrepidarian   Email Ultracrepidarian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2 July

Another 35 minutes of cycling to and fro between work, shopping and choir practice.

3 July

Went to Southampton for work. Should have gone climbing in the evening, but the road to Calshot was clogged with people going to see the ships. Grrr.

So, only 15 minutes of cycling to the train station.

4 July

So far, 5 minutes of cycling to get to work.

Posts: 1897 | From: Cattle crossing | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Day 3 and 4 - 60 mins dog walking each day

Running (walking) total - 135 hours

thanks! [Smile]

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in! Obviously getting back from holiday managed to stop me from seeing the thread - that and Sandemaniac hijacking my computer in the evenings...

So, do I chance the longer route home tonight, or do I play it safe given the weather and the lack of hard surface on the towpath?

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

The score today is:

55 minutes high-speed walking
2 minutes jacks
45 minutes high-intensity workout at gym

and another 10 minutes (not done yet, but will be) high-speed walking on the School Run.

Total for today: 1 hour 51 minutes
Running total: 4 hours 50 minutes (if I added it up right)

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

Tuesday, July 3rd: (cont)
5 mins walking to and from a graduation
60 mins walking dog

Wednesday, July 4th: (so far)
30 mins walking dog
15 mins walking to and from a graduation

Total to add: 110 minutes
Toal so far: 290 minutes or 4 hours and 50 minutes

Processing at graduations is so tiring, the standing around, sitting for a couple of hours in front of all the graduands and parents (requiring decent posture and interested facial expression) and then the milling around being congratulatory afterwards. All in a heavy gown and heels. None of it is aerobic though, so I can't count any of those minutes.

Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze the dog-walk in between work and graduation celebrations tonight, she was going a bit bonkers when last night's walk had to be postponed until after an evening graduation.

--------------------

Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

20 more mins walking yesterday and the same today, makes 40 mins to add.

I think that makes my running total 300 mins, but willing to be corrected!

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Back from a futile search for sausages; for some reason, everything's closed today.
30 minutes biking, 31 minutes, 22 seconds walking.

[ 04. July 2012, 19:05: Message edited by: AristonAstuanax ]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Queries first

Harmony Hope - I make your total 195 minutes or 3 hours 15 minutes - 3 lots of an hour on Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday, Monday 15 minutes.

Jane R - I am a minute out from you - made today's total a minute more than you did.

[ 04. July 2012, 19:51: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Today's pathetic offering was 10 minutes walk to the GP, 3 hours wait to be seen, 5 minutes back to the chemist for more antibiotics, then off to the supermarket for milk. I think I can count 30 minutes walking at normal speeds, but I met people, so it was stop start.

--------------------

Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Day 3 - Tuesday One hour killer pilates.

Day 4 - today - a meagre 15 mins walk each way to pub and back = 30 mins plus, thanks to Comet's inspiration 5 minutes on the Hula Hoop from Hell (it had been hidden but she reminded me).

Running total, I think (2 hr 85 mins) = 3 hrs and 15 mins. Not good, not bad. It is what it is. Tomorrow is a day off for a walk... so watch this space!

Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

Ck [Votive] hope you're better soon.
40 minutes for me today cycling to work then to gym and back. It was very rainy, but I now have an arrangement with a personal trainer starting next week.
Tg

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

60 mins at Zumba - 360mins total.
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1 hour walking in one of my most favourite of places with one of my most favourite of people.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

Day 5 - 80 mins dog walking each day

Running (walking) total - what CK says! [Overused]
thanks!

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

70 mins outrigger paddling plus 40 mins commuter walking for me today.

--------------------

Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Slightly better couple of days (well, today, yesterday I did virtually nothing!), so I now have 40 minutes walking to add. And tomorrow I will be doing more again!
Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

Walking for 75 minutes, playing tourist (and melting). Aerobics for 25 minutes.

Today's total 95 minutes.

Overall total so far 405 minutes.

Y'all are motivating me, which is good considering the amount of Ben & Jerry's I ate today!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016