homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » July 2012 Fitness Race (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: July 2012 Fitness Race
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
30 minutes of aerobics, 90 minutes of walking.

Total of 120 minutes for today.

Running total 1,010 minutes.

We've off on holiday on Friday for almost 2 weeks so maybe I'll exercise less, or maybe my Imaginary Friend will drag me on long hikes.

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today's exercise - good hour of walking, but having to dodge showers to do anything - 60 minutes

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Liberty:
30 minutes of aerobics, 90 minutes of walking.

Total of 120 minutes for today.

Running total 1,010 minutes.

Went for an unexpected, but rather pleasant, 60 minute walk after dinner out with friends, so my actual total for July 11 is 180 minutes. Tota; 1,070 minutes. [Smile]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
good day! 40 minute bike ride to work (drove home as my kids brought me the car) followed by a 1 hour and 45 minute hike with my daughter for her birthday. it was wonderful. and good for the ol' tude.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Total for yesterday: 40 minutes high-speed walking with heavy rucksack and suitcase

Running total: 15 hours 52 minutes

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wednesday, July 11th: (cont)
20 mins walking home from work
60 mins walking dog

Thursday, July 12th (so far)
35 mins walking dog
20 mins walking to work

Total to add: 135 minutes
Total so far: 1225 minutes or 50 hours and 25 minutes

Rather strangely I ought to have my total from the January 2011 race, but I seem to have overwritten it with my August 2011 times. Ho Hum.

Tonight I have to go and teach 175 guides some ceilidh dances. This will involve demonstrating each dance so I'll eke out a few minutes, but mostly I suspect I will be standing around directing traffic. Goodness knows when the dog will get her walk this evening. Perhaps I shall take her on the trampmoline again (which mostly involves her running circuits around the garden then joining in for a bounce every so often) so she has at least moved before we get back late and are faced with a furry whirlwind wanting out.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The mojo returneth [Big Grin] . I seem to have successfully fought off that cold (zinc supplements) and I have sproingy new running shoes.

1 hour 45 minutes walking yesterday (commute, lunch and evening meeting) and 1 hour run to work this morning.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2 hours walking so far today, and i forgot something so I'll be going back to the shops shortly...

Running total 17hrs 50 mins (1070 mins)

Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

- Posted      Profile for Ultracrepidarian   Email Ultracrepidarian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
11 July

45 minutes cycling from work to climbing to pub to home.

About 1 hour worth of exercise at the climbing wall.

12 July

15 minutes cycle to work.

Posts: 1897 | From: Cattle crossing | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A further 100 minutes walking to get the forgotten bits gives me a running total of 19hrs 30 mins (i think!)
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1 hr 20 min
Tap plus walk to and part home. I would like to have added more walking time this afternoon, but ... well, unsurprisingly, it's raining again!

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Finally, here's my totals for July so far:

1st: 1 hour of walking in Wrocław and Berlin, largely carrying luggage

2nd: 25 minutes of carrying luggage in Berlin and Göttingen and a 35 minute walk in the evening in Asche. 1 hour in total.

3rd: 10 minutes of a walk in the morning, and an hour of jogging and walking in the evening. 1 hour and 10 minutes in total.

4rd: 45 minutes of volleyball followed by a 20 minute run. 1 hour and 5 minutes in total.

5th: 1 hour and 20 minutes of volleyball.

6th: A 45 minute walk.

7th: 1 hour and 30 minutes of volleyball.

8th: 30 of walking, largely with luggage, including in Dresden.

9th: 50 minutes of carrying luggage in Dresden and Wrocław

10th: 1 hour of walking

11th: 15 minutes of bodyrocking and 40 minutes of walking. 55 minutes in total.

12th: 45 minutes of walking and 15 minutes of bodyrocking. 1 hour in total.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Adding on 1 hour 50 minutes of walking for today (to get lunch and then all the way home from work in the rain).

--------------------

Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hour and ten minutes today, variously cycling and walking about on errands and running up and downstairs with the vacuum cleaner ( we live in an upright rather than a flat)
Tg

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tuesday: 20 minutes of walking
Wednesday: 30 minutes of walking
Thursday: 50 minutes of walking + 60 minutes of kickboxing (next week I need to do more of that!)

So that's 2 hours 40 minutes for this post. I need to get a bit more in I think!

Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday: 1 hour of luggage lugging to the bus station, through the airport, off the airport, etc.

Now to hope I don't fall horribly behind now that I'm in a "pedestrian=hood ornament" city.

[ 12. July 2012, 20:31: Message edited by: AristonAstuanax ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
90 minutes heavy duty cleaning, scrubbing down the kitchen walls with sugar soap as a forerunner to decorating them. I did get outside briefly, but it started raining before I got my boots on to go outside properly

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done, all!

I had a lazy week last week, but here's this week so far:

Walking (work, errands) - 35 minutes
Swimming - 64 minutes
Weights - 25 minutes

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
oops - missed edit window for one more errand I forgot

10 minutes walking.

(with the times y'all are posting, I need every 10 minutes I can get! [Biased] )

--------------------
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

120 minutes on July 12th.

Total 1190 minutes.

Off on my hollibobs tomorrow! [Big Grin] )

[ 13. July 2012, 04:38: Message edited by: Liberty ]

--------------------

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thursday, July 12th: (cont)
45 mins walking/marching/dancing/waving arms around in a midgey field during 1.5 hours ceilidh dancing at guide camp
40 mins walking dog

Friday, July 13th (so far)
20 mins walking to work - flatmate started work later than me this morning so she took the dog after I left.

Total to add: 125 minutes
Total so far: 1350 minutes or 22 hours and 30 minutes

Oooops! Please ignore the 5 for 2 substitution typo from yesterday. Getting to 50 hours this early in the game would be impressive indeed!

Well, ceilidh dancing with the guides was interesting. 'There's a marquee' they said. And there was, but how they expected that many girls to dance in it was beyond me. So we set up outside and turned the generator off every time we needed to give instructions then had multiple people relaying them once the generator and the music had been started up. They seemed to enjoy themselves.

--------------------

Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

so far today, 30 mins of waking bringing total to 20hrs!
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
25 min

To station and home and from museum to station. There was one of the 'Touch Tours' this morning(for a group of blind and partially-sighted with guides) in the Sea City Museum in Southampton. Newly re-designed building and a superb exhibition.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

5 mins relentless challenge, 35 mins walk/ run. I will get fit!
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
catching up on backlog:

Yesterday (12 July): 40 minutes high-speed walking plus 10 minutes stair-climbing

Today: 1 hour 50 minutes high-speed walking

Running total: 18 hours 32 minutes (I think)

blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday (12 July) mainly boat related but the only bit that might count would be 10 m total hauling boats up slipways. (They are called slipways due to algal growth with an apparently negative coefficient of friction, leaving the unwary embarrassed, bruised and very wet.)

Today, Friday 13th, about an hour walking plus 35 m runnish.

So total for two days is 1 h 45 m.

Must Do Better

Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Went jogging for 20 minutes in the afternoon and the evening saw me doing bodyrock for 25 minutes. I also walked for 10 minutes.

55 minutes in total for today.

--------------------

Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

Holy cow! Y'all are awesome.

and I can't count teaching advanced swimming students... [Frown] .. (pout, pout). But fair is fair. It's just that it's hard to do a swim workout after already being in the water 1 1/2 hours.

--------------------
(unknown)

Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

quote:
They seemed to enjoy themselves. [/QB]
... and that's (while not THE point it nonetheless is) an important point.

--------------------
(unknown)

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Sorry, forgot to do this yesterday. Another 90 minutes decorating - scraping, sanding, filling, up and down the step ladder - this all being high level stuff. And shopping, which meant walking back laden and really did work up a sweat 30 minutes - so 120 minutes in all

--------------------

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

Friday, July 13th: (cont)
20 mins walking to and from the shop at lunchtime
115 mins walking dog

Saturday, July 14th (so far)
45 mins walking dog

Total to add: 200 minutes
Total so far: 1550 minutes or 25 hours and 50 minutes

Not having a car is going to up my times considerably - that mammoth dog walk last night was a trek out to our usual Friday-night park (and an attempt to get to the middle of the maze there without losing the dog!) to keep a little variety in the routine.

Now I have some errands to run in town so it will be on my bicycle, although I'm not really looking forward to peddling up the hill again on the way home.

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heavy shifts at work are a nightmare - nothing really that can be logged but I am left too physically tired to exercise.

Off on holiday tomorrow and have booked myself in to the local gym so who knows... I will try to record my exercise while I'm away and post a mammoth score when I get back.... (believe that and you'll believe anything!)

What's more likely is that I'll spend the whole week moping under canvas at the sound of the torrential rain battering down on the tent roof (hopefully not through the tent roof) and comfort eating.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

1 hr

Managed to get out twice, once in morning and once in afternoon, for 25 and 35 min. Some absolutely torrential rain in between times!

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

Got browned off again yesterday. 1 hour 15 minutes walking. Meant to do yoga, or weights or well, something but Didn't Feel Like It™. 1 hour 40 minutes walking so far today. Going to walk to Eiffel Tower for the Bastille Day fireworks later which should usefully build up some more time (it's a fair walk, but the crowds on the metro on the 14th of July terrify me).

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

Today: another 40 minutes high-speed walking.

I'm definitely not going to win (it's interesting to see how much extra walking you rack up if you have a dog to exercise) but it's interesting seeing how many of my everyday activities count as Keeping Fit, and this is encouraging me to keep up with the gym visits. Not that I managed many this week, due to being away from home at a conference.

Anyway, running total is now 19 hours 12 minutes

Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

2 hrs walking and 35mins running today gives me a running total of 23hrs 15 mins
Just Me
Shipmate
# 14937

- Posted      Profile for Just Me     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wednesday - nothing
Thursday - 70 minutes cycling
Friday - 35 minutes walking to stations and bus stops
Saturday - 20 minutes walking to shop and back

So 125 minutes to add bringing my running total to 11hrs 10mins

Posts: 104 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

# 11424

60 minutes of yoga. 1 hour and 30 minutes of walking.

2 hours and 30 minutes in total.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Friday—Hour fifteen mountain biking
Today—Three hours and assorted change biking, thirty minutes hiking.
Tomorrow—y'all should just surrender now.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Yesterday - was out at the Town Festival for 4 hours, but the thing I was supposed to be doing that's more aerobic didn't happen: it's too dangerous to open the church tower when it's raining (lead gets very slippery). I think I can count 60 minutes - in little spurts, moving to get to take pictures of something happening, and then keeping pace while it happened - that also includes 10 minutes of stretches.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Totals for the first two weeks posted to here:

1. To the Pain .......... 25h 50m
  2. la vie en rouge ..... 25h 0m
  3. Jenn. .................. 23h 15m
  4. Ultracrepidarian .... 20h 25m
  5. AristonAstuanax .... 20h 05m
  6. Liberty ................ 19h 50m
  7. Jane R ................ 19h 12m
  8. Curiosity killed ... . 18h 35m
  9. Deputy Verger ...... 17h 20m
  10. Susan Doris ......... 17h 15m
  11. Rosa Winkel ......... 16h 30m
  12. Just Me ............... 11h 10m
  13. comet ................. 11h 05m
  14. harmony hope ...... 10h 35m
  15. Tea gnome .......... 10h 15m
  16. Yangtze ................ 8h 45m
  17. Scots lass ............. 8h 40m
  18. Smudgie ............... 8h 40m
  19. Meg the Red .......... 7h 50m
  20. blackbeard ............ 7h 35m
  21. Celtic Knotweed ..... 6h 20m
  22. Angel Wrestler ....... 3h 29m

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

1 hr 55 min

Long walk, plus short one later.

--------------------

Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

Just 20 mins today. Walking to and fro. Hoping this cold disappears overnight or my progress could be curtailed rapidly!
Rosa Winkel

# 11424

2 hours and 25 minutes of walking.

--------------------

blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday, busy day but nowt aerobic.
Today, 50 m walking and 35 m runnish giving

1 h 25 m.

Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

Adding on 1 hour 20 minutes walking last night to watch the Eiffel Tower explode [Big Grin] , then 50 minutes walking and 30 minutes running today (should really have done more but didn't get home until well after eight in the evening, by which time it was getting a bit late).

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I now have a kitchen painted sunshine yellow and aching muscles. It took 2½ hours to paint it, after at least another 2½ hours to finish sanding, filling, scrubbing down and taking everything out, then putting it all back in. So I'm counting 5 hours.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
7/12: tons of physical work, but on-clock. so I can only claim 30 minutes dancing once I clocked out.

7/13: again with the hard work day, so a mere 20 minutes walk.

7/14: [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] ! day off. we left early to drive to the state park and set up camp. (hiking to site, hauling stuff, cutting and splitting wood, schlepping some trees, etc) then took off on a hike to K'sugi Ridge by way of the waterfall trail. not much milage but a major climb - any steeper and we would have needed to be roped. my kids are natural goats and rocked it, though scared hell out of me a few times. hike back to camp was slower as downhill is tricky for me nowadays with my erratic sense of balance. the rain stayed mostly at bay the whole time!

took a few breaks to play in the waterfall and whatnot, plus great moments of profound slack at the camp, so I'm counting a day's total of 7 hours, 30 minutes which includes camp set-up, wood prep, hike, and post hike swim.

I'm happily not terribly sore.

today, 7/15: took down camp and hiked out (the rain showed up to help us hustle out!) for a total of 45 minutes. I may have more today but I doubt it.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

Saturday, July 14th: (cont)
10 mins cycling to town (it's downhill but I was trying to get there in a hurry so I peddled most of the way anyway)
30 mins walking between shops
20 mins cycling home
60 mins walking dog

Sunday, July 15th
20 mins walking dog
35 mins walking to church
45 mins walking home
45 mins walking dog (because she got her usual hour, but I spent some of it looking on as she played in the burn)

Monday, July 16th (so far)
35 mins walking dog
30 mins walking to work the long way 'round

[b]Total to add: 330 minutes

Total so far: 1880 minutes or 31 hours and 20 minutes

Wow! I'm at the top! At least I can use that as a positive aspect of no longer having access to a car. I don't really expect to stay there long though - la vie en rouge has made it past 60 hours in a previous fitness race and a few others have been close before as well. Which would mean I was aiming for 2 hours activity a day. Looking at my spreadsheet I have managed that on eight out of the fourteen full days I've posted so far. And most of those were since the car was consigned to motoring history. So it might be do-able. I'll stick with my 45 hours target for now (that only requires about an hour a day for the rest of the month) but once I hit that I really ought to aim for 60.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

I don't know, you might still get there... Ironically being fitter than I was in the past means that I rack up less time [Roll Eyes] My big scores in the past involved a lot of walking - this month I have been running instead, which is a better work-out, more calories burned etc. but less time to record. I'm pretty sure I won't get to 60 hours this time round.

OTOH, I have a strong competitive streak and since I'm near the top I think I'd quite like to win and consequently intend to give you a good run for your money [Biased]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016