homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » July 2012 Fitness Race (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: July 2012 Fitness Race
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1 hr 50 min

Gym plus walk to/from; town to/from.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just checked back andit seems I did not put in yesterday, Monday, 3t0th time. It was

1 hr 35 min

which was gym plus walk to/from.

Sorry about getting out of order.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Day 29 - walk over the cliffs: 95 mins x 2 plus 40 mins run/walk making plus 20 mins up and down cliffs x 2 total 260 mins for day
Sorry added this up when I was tired - think it should read total of 270 mins for the day

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last post of the month, unless I get overtaken by an attack of extreme restlessness.
Just a walk this time - trying out some brand new boots - about 9 miles or so - 2 h 50 m.

Maybe a pushing of the luck, but in the event, boots were great.

Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today: 45 minutes high-speed walking

Final total: 34 hours 46 minutes

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Golly, it appears that the last time I posted times was Sunday 8th - that's further back that even I thought.

My dodgy ankle which I turned again back in June has been really painful, so exercise has been limited to a bit of commuter walking and outrigger canoeing. Really should get more into swimming.

Have done these as weekly summaries to make life a bit easier for CK

w/b 9th July
140 mins commuter walking
80 mins outrigger canoeing

w/b 16th July
160 mins commuter walking plus
120 mins walking around all over Hackney for the One Hackney Parade, local farmers market, another local market and the Olympic Torch procession

w/b 23 July
210 mins walking up and down the beach plus
60 mins swimming and jumping around in the sea (in shorter bursts) plus
110 mins commuter walking plus
80 mins outrigger canoeing

Mon 30th July:
15 mins commuter walking

Tues 31 July
60 mins commuter walking

Phew. Sorry for not really entering the day by day racing this time around.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1 hour 50 minutes walking to end the month for me.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
did my first tabata routine today - 4 minutes - heck no problem, right? but in 4 minutes the body was ROCKING so it led to a full upper body lifting routine and I was AWESOME! my arms are jello. so far today: 45 minutes with tabata+lifting and if I didn't have a show to put on I'd keep going.

TRY IT! the video I saw recommended tabata as a quick "wake up" routine in the morning and I'm going to give it a go for a week and see how I feel. I think I love it. and it's so easy. (well, as far as learning and doing. it's a lot of effort!) if anyone wants the rundown, let me know and I'll explain over in the AS thread. 4 minutes= less than a cigarette, a shower, a cuppa. totally doable. fit into one workout song.

and it's only 4 pm here so I may not be finished logging yet. watch this space.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
July 28 - 65 minutes
July 29 - 80 minutes
July 30 - 140 minutes
July 31 - 150 minutes
Walking, aerobics and some scrubbing of the bath!

I've given up on keeping a running total. [Biased]

This has been fun y'all. I do feel kinda guilty that I was doing all my exercise whilst not working. I'm in awe of you all. (Especially CK for all the hard work! Thank you.)

Lib xx

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh. Today is the end of the month. I, um, thought it was tomorrow. Well, I guess those Wednesday bike races are a day too late . . .
Put me down for 1 hour, 1 minute, and 11 seconds of bike riding, then. I did a few extra laps of the AA's Neighborhood Criterium today just to make up for any extra fudging I may have done over the month (and also to justify all the strange rounding I've done as well).

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tuesday, July 31st (cont)
10 mins of walking at lunchtime
25 mins walking home from work
10 mins cycling to the cinema
20 mins cycling home from the cinema
65 mins walking dog in a couple of stints either side of the cinema trip

Total to add: 130 minutes or 2 hours and 10 minutes
Total: 4200 minutes or 70 hours [Eek!]

Got up too late this morning for flatmate to even come on the morning dog walk and I can't even count it for race minutes. I shall have to put it down to being selfless and wonderful.

I will admit to working out my likely total yesterday afternoon, figuring out that I would be five minutes away from a 70 hour total (70 hours, how on earth have I done 70 hours of activity in July?) and deciding on that basis to tack a wee diversion onto my walk home. It is kind of good to discover that I can do that level of activity if it's fairly gentle and I have some sort of outside motivation to do it but the responsibility of having to walk the dog every morning and evening does rather eat into my time to do other things. I'm never going to beat this race total so I shall just enjoy it.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Day 31 (final day!) - usual 60 mins dog walking!

Sorry no idea of total now but usually add it up wrongly late at night anyway! [Big Grin]

Thanks CK for all your hard work - without you this wouldn't happen!; for the hosts for hosting and to the other Fitness Race Commrades out there...I've really enjoyed it and can't wait til January! [Smile]

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Goddamn, I had a piece of paper with all my totals, but I threw it out in Northeim, so will only be able to now post from memory:

Monday the 16th: 1 hour and 40 minutes of walking.

Tuesday the 17th: A journey to being picked up included 20 minutes of walking with luggage; in Berlin I walked for a total of 1 hour and 30 minutes with luggage.

1 hour and 50 minutes in total.

Wednesday the 18th: Walk to bus and then to train station, 20 minutes. Changing trains, 10 minutes. Walk to youth hostel, 25 minutes.

55 minutes in total.

Thursday the 19th: Table tennis for 1 hour. 30 minutes of walking.

1 hour and 30 minutes.

Friday the 20th: Table tennis for 2 hours and 15 minutes in total. 30 minutes of walking.

2 hours and 45 minutes in total.

Saturday the 21st: Table tennis for 2 hours and 10 minutes. 45 minutes of walking.

2 hours and 55 minutes of walking.

Sunday the 22nd: Table tennis for 2 hours.

Monday the 23rd: Walk around town for 45 minutes. Table tennis for 2 hours and 15 minutes. Frisbee for 20 minutes.

3 hours and 20 minutes in total.

Tuesday the 24rd: Table tennis for 2 hours and 30 minutes. Walking for 40 minutes.

3 hours and 10 minutes in total.

Wednesday the 25th: Walk around town for 45 minutes. Walk up a hill and back for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Table tennis for 3 hours.

5 hours and 5 minutes in total.

Thursday the 26th: 2 hours and 30 minutes of table tennis. 15 minutes of badminton.

2 hours and 45 minutes in total.

Friday the 27th: Table tennis for 1 hour and 30 minutes. 20 minutes of walking.

1 hour and 50 minutes in total

Saturday the 28th: 45 minutes of walking.

Sunday the 29th: Up the hill and back for 1 hour. Running about town (forgot bank card) for 20 minutes. Walking around town for 20 minutes.

1 hour and 40 minutes in total.

Monday the 30th: 15 minutes of table tennis. 20 minutes to the train station, and a further 5 minutes of walking while changing trains, before a 20 minute walk in Dresden with luggage on my back and shoulder.

1 hour in total.

Tuesday the 31st: 1 hour and 10 minutes walking with luggage in Dresden, before doing likewise in Wrocław for 15 minutes. 40 minute walk in the evening.

2 hours and 5 minutes.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
no more to add for me. I did lots of stuff but it wasn't really "workout" stuff - general housekeeping and such. so that's me, done! great race, folks, and great job, CK!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Just Me
Shipmate
# 14937

- Posted      Profile for Just Me     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tuesday 31st - walked to work and part way home again - 2hrs 5mins

Final total 25hrs 50minutes

I didn't manage an hour a day and I didn't manage to double January, but it works out as a nice neat 50 minutes a day on average. I can live with that.

J

Posts: 104 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
29 July, another 4 minutes going for a Chinese takeaway.

30 July; 30 minutes getting to work and 27 getting home, total of 57 minutes for the day.

31 July I had to drive so as to get home in time, so 2 minutes each way for getting between overflow carpark and work site, plus 1 minute running up a church path to get to a funeral (we were still slightly late [Frown] ). Total for the day 5 minutes.

Total this post is 1 hour 6 minutes. Final total for the month of 35 hours 54 minutes. Not too bad given I missed the first few days!

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Totals entered to here, - I can count another 60 minutes finding things to photograph yesterday - wandering up to the skateboard park and also on a march - which meant much rushing back and forward

Ultracrepidarian is still to post a week or more

la vie en rouge, you were only an hour behind To the Pain 69 hours to her 70 hours. Ultracrepidarian had posted 45 hours 45 minutes to the morning of the 26th, so I'm expecting something in the high 50s if not higher.

Rosa Winkel - 55h 10m
Liberty - 54h 30m
me - 51h 20m

and I'll put the other totals up tomorrow to give the other stragglers a chance to post.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today my cousins flew in. Dodgeball to wear a 9 year old out after an 8 hour flight doesn't count for this any more. I should have borrowed him sooner! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
31st walking 1 hour ten minutes
Total 28 hours 41 minutes.
Thanks again for doing the spreadsheets Ck
Tg

--------------------
Floating Fund!

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CK you truly are a legend! Thank you once again for keeping all the maths straight, that's a really thankless task.

Like a number of folk I have lots of activity coming up that won't count for the race - next week I am moving house and helping out with a folk dance festival while the dog's family don't return until next weekend, so there could be all sorts of activity to log.

I guess I shall see everyone in January when I shall be back to my usual lazy self and struggling to fit in minnutes. Hopefully my performance in this race will remind me that I can find the time for exercise even on busy work days.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
harmony hope:
quote:
Day 29 - walk over the cliffs...
[Eek!]

Oh. I see what you mean...

Off to find out what tabata is, in the hope of finishing a bit higher up the rankings next time!

Thanks for organising this, CK.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dammit! I coulda won. Oh well.

Thanks CK for organising, and well done TTP who was a worthy winner.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've pm'ed Ultracrepidarian as I think it's just him to post before I put up the final times. If he's not posted by tomorrow I'll put the final listings up anyway.

{Note to self, still need to add times between this post and the last to the spreadsheet

I'm using my posts on the thread as markers to where I've put stuff on the spreadsheet)

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

quote:
I've pm'ed Ultracrepidarian as I think it's just him to post before I put up the final times. If he's not posted by tomorrow I'll put the final listings up anyway.
Ooooh...exciting! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

- Posted      Profile for Ultracrepidarian   Email Ultracrepidarian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the PM, CK. Sorry for keeping you up - I got a bit distracted and forgot about posting times here.

Here's the last week:

25 July

15 minutes cycling home, and then 10 minutes walking to the pub and back.

26 July

40 minutes cycling home to work to slacklining/climbing to home.

50 mintues of slacklining and about 1 hour 45 minutes worth of exercise at the climbing wall.

27 July

20 minutes morning run, and then 30 minutes commuter cycling during the day.

28 July

Climbing trip to the Roaches:

About 15 minutes of walking to get from the car to the crags and back again, and about 2 hours 45 minutes worth of climbing exercise while there.

29 July

1 hour cycling from home to church to home, and from home to train station to home.

30 July

10 minutes walking to get public transport to work (caught a bus because I was bringing a cake), and about 40 minutes walking to choir and home after work.

31 July

40 minutes cycling home to work to climbing to home, and about 1 hour 30 minutes worth of exercise at indoor climbing.

Phew. I think it was a pretty normal month in the end, rather than my originally expressed hope to do some 'extra' stuff for the fitness race, but still a busy and happy one. [Smile]

Posts: 1897 | From: Cattle crossing | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I think that's it:

1. To the Pain ............... 70h 0m
  2. la vie en rouge .......... 69h 0m
  3. Ultracrepidarian ......... 57h 05m
  4. Rosa Winkel .............. 55h 10m
  5. Liberty ...................... 54h 30m
  6. Curiosity killed ........... 51h 20m
  7. comet ....................... 40h 55m
  8. Susan Doris ................ 40h 30m
  9. harmony hope ............. 39h 12m
  10. Celtic Knotweed ........... 35h 54m
  11. Jane R ........................ 34h 46m
  12. AristonAstuanax ........... 34h 20m
  13. blackbeard .................. 31h 10m
  14. Tea gnome .................. 28h 41m
  15. Yangtze ...................... 26h 0m
  16. Just Me ....................... 25h 45m
  17. Scots lass ...................... 8h 40m
  18. Smudgie ........................ 8h 40m

And those who dropped out, just so they can see where they were standing.

• Jenn. ............................... 31h 25m
  • Deputy Verger .................... 17h 20m
  • Meg the Red ........................ 7h 50m
  • Angel Wrestler ..................... 3h 29m

Well done everyone. From blackbeard up everyone exercised more than an hour a day on average - and To the Pain was exercising for 2¼ hours a day on average.

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Many congratulations to To the Pain and la vie en rouge for those excellent times, and
Many thanks to CK for managing the Race again; much appreciated.
As always, it has been so interesting reading what participants have done, and it's quite hard to stop recording time on the 1st August, isn't it?!! [Smile]

--------------------

harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

Thank you everyone (esp CK) - I've really enjoyed it! [Smile]

--------------------

Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

- Posted      Profile for Ultracrepidarian   Email Ultracrepidarian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks again, CK! It was good fun, and interesting to read about all the different things that people are getting up to. I'll be interested to see how January compares to July!
Posts: 1897 | From: Cattle crossing | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And my thanks too, CK.
We shall see what January brings ... (possibly a sense of panic at an impending half marathon)

Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks a lot CK. I appreciate your work.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016