homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Do you loathe most people?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Do you loathe most people?
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This simple poll will help you to discern whether or not you loathe most people. For each of the four questions, choose one of the four possible answers; when completed, give yourself 1 point for choice 1, 2 points for choice 2, 3 points for choice 3, or deduct 4 points for choice 4.
If your total points are in negative territory, you probably loathe most people.

This poll has been moved to another board.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A wee bit obvious, and I had to answer arbitrarily between the wonderfuls.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is a polar bear swim, if it isn't swimming polar bears?

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me] This is actually kinda great. I notice a lot of us lost our glowing love for humanity in specific cases of people blocking our way.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It keeps telling me I am not interesting enough to vote in this poll. Now THAT makes me loathe most people and especially all IT-people. Bah!

--------------------
A martyr is someone living with a saint.

Posts: 1589 | From: Berlin | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I scored minus five. I have no problem with catholics or polar bears, but if one of them gets in my way I'll rip their spleen out through their nose.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Poor Marvin. Always assuming you'll get first hit! [Snigger]

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
-16, I hate pretty much everybody unless I can keep them at arms length. Being an ex-Catholic I'm really not too fond of them at arms length either.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, I realised there was a score to late to see my score.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Minus 9. I kind of like Catholics.

--------------------

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rodgers and Hart must have had Miss Amanda in mind when they wrote:

She gets too hungry for dinner at eight.
She loves the theater, but never come late.
She can't be bothered with people she hates.
That's why the lady is a tramp.

Especially the third line.

And God help me if I **ever** turn into one of those little old ladies who can't master the concept of stepping out of the way when indulging in a confused fit of bumbling.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

[Roll Eyes]

Oh. Was there a score?

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:

You don't know? Really?

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MSHB:
quote:

[Roll Eyes]

Oh. Was there a score?
I'm another one who didn't see the score.

I do admit to being one of those people cussing in my car when people step out in front of my car when jaywalking or drive stupidly and almost involve me in an accident or actually do hit me (I've been hit 5 times, 4 by idiots running stop signs and one rear ender at a high rate of speed). Very seldom do I get that upset with people.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paddy O'Furniture:
quote:

You don't know? Really?
I don't know either - really.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Too late for the edit, I calculated my score and it was still in the positive range.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:
-16, I hate pretty much everybody unless I can keep them at arms length. Being an ex-Catholic I'm really not too fond of them at arms length either.

I'm an ex-Catholic, as well. Run-of-the-mill Catholics I can handle a bit better than the militant ones... but worse for me is that one of my cousins is a very big deal in Opus Dei! He is a far-right wing Catholic, poor guy... I think he's really uncomfortable around me because I'm so obviously queer! [Biased]

--------------------

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

quote:
quote:
quote:

You don't know? Really?
Going for a swim on New Year's in icy lakes or the ocean. Many are generally overweight and in thongs or string bikinis.

[ 17. July 2012, 14:31: Message edited by: Niteowl2 ]

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

quote:
quote:
quote:

You don't know? Really?
For your edification:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_bear_swim

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl2:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You don't know? Really?
Going for a swim on New Year's in icy lakes or the ocean. Many are generally overweight and in thongs or string bikinis.
It doesn't have to be on New Year's. Anytime you chop a hole in the ice and swim qualifies. It also qualifies if spring as arrived and the wind has blown the ice off shore so there's open water for you to jump in to. The media I think tried to turn it into a sponsored corporately advertised TV event, particularly in places where there is no tradition of swimming in icy lakes, and I loathe them. It is the northern equivalent of walking over hot coals.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I fear I already am the old lady bumbling around counting out her money....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's the problem with the questions - I fume inwardly and sometimes utter 'Oh for F's sake' outwardly at the checkout - but I know you so I'd either have warm feelings or curse you for making me feel guilty.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got three: I am RC, but if I want to see a polar bear swim, I'll go to San Diego and visit the zoo! I don't wish to see obese lunatics at the local lake in the winter-time!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
That's the problem with the questions - I fume inwardly and sometimes utter 'Oh for F's sake' outwardly at the checkout - but I know you so I'd either have warm feelings or curse you for making me feel guilty.

The thing is, I'm always muttering under my breath at people who hold up the entire line... and then when it's me holding up the line... well, then it's another matter entirely! I feel the stares of hatred boring through the back of my head and hear the nasty comments which only make me fumble my change even more... oh dear, I AM a hypocrite! A stumbling, bumbling, disabled hypocrite... [Waterworks]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
I feel the stares of hatred boring through the back of my head and hear the nasty comments ....

It's another thread (sorry SF, don't be incensed) but how DO we feel this unexpressed hatred? I feel it when I do something stupid in the car. I can do exactly the same thing the next day (yes!) and I KNOW the feeling behind me is patience.

Odd.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
-4. I was mildly disappointed by the non-appearance of the word "wanker(s)!" in several of the choices.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

quote:
Originally posted by Sylvander:
It keeps telling me I am not interesting enough to vote in this poll. Now THAT makes me loathe most people and especially all IT-people. Bah!

That is a built-in feature of the poll; you must be signed in to vote, and must vote to read the results.
That way, no one (I hope) can vote more than once.
When I post a poll, I do things right!

--------------------

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
-4, but I'm sure I'm more irritable than that. I can detest anyone.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pond difference. What you call a polar bear swim, we call a Loony Dook.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no_prophet:
quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl2:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You don't know? Really?
It doesn't have to be on New Year's. Anytime you chop a hole in the ice and swim qualifies.
It's more fun here ... you have to chop a hole in the crocodiles.

I voted with the masses, I note, and ended up negative.

Humanity sucks.
And also with you.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You don't know? Really?
For your edification:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_bear_swim

I'm still none the wiser. Why, or more to the point how, would one of those be going on outside my window? I don't live near any water.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A certain shipmate* once wrote a lengthy hell rant about a polar bear swim happening right outside his lakeside winter vacation rental. Several shipmates teased him for being an inhibited tightass.He defended his right to not have bare polar bear ass thrust upon him. Kenwritez famously threatened to come to his house and dance the dance of the seven veils on his lawn. Much hilarity was had. I believe the entry in the quiz was a winking reference to all that.

*I will let him do the honors on that one.

[ 18. July 2012, 22:27: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
-9. Actually, a polar swim might be fun.
And really, the evil answers were more enjoyable than the happy ones, so of course I picked them.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aggie
Ship's cat
# 4385

- Posted      Profile for Aggie   Email Aggie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think I loathe most people, certainly my score suggests that I don't. I can certainly tolerate elderly people holding up the check out queue or walking slowly, but younger people (especially big groups of teenagers spread out all over the pavement, dawdling along annoy me when I am stuck behind them)

What I loathe most is bad-manners, general boorish inconsiderate behaviour from others: people who play their music/television loud at night; people who push and shove their way onto busy public transport so they can get the last available seat, oblivious to everyone else; drivers who try to intimidate learner drivers by driving too close behind them or sounding their horn at them - the list is endless.

I also like my own personal space, and I cannot understand why some people seem to like sitting/being in really close proximity to strangers when they don't have to be - obviously certain situations are understandable, such as where a lone woman travelling at night on the train or waiting at a bus stop feels safer sitting or standing near a group of people rather than being in a carriage/deserted part of the street by herself ( I do this myself), or if seating in a certain place is limited or pre-booked.

However, when I was sitting on the beach on a recent holiday in Spain, a family came and plonked themselves right next to me, less than a couple of feet away, and yet there was a vast expanse of empty beach - why did they do that?? Once they'd put up their beach umbrella and put out all their chairs, I got up and moved away.
Likewise, at dinner in a fairly quiet restaurant with lots of empty tables, why do the next lot of people who come in straight after us sit at the next table to ours??

My gay best mate, and occasional holiday companion, is even less tolerant of strangers "invading" his personal space than I am, and finds such things really irritating; he has a hilarious way of "repelling" people, by suddenly exclaiming to me in his loudest, campest, Noel Coward-esque tones: "Wwwell my dear, he EJACULATED sooo violently, I thought it was going to hit the ceiling!!" Hilarious!!!

--------------------
“I see his blood upon the rose
And in the stars the glory of his eyes,
His body gleams amid eternal snows,
His tears fall from the skies.”
(Joseph Mary Plunkett 1887-1917)

Posts: 581 | From: A crazy, crazy world | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by AristonAstuanax:
-9. Actually, a polar swim might be fun.
And really, the evil answers were more enjoyable than the happy ones, so of course I picked them.

Re polar bear swim and fun: if you like, er, your landing gear to retreat into your fuselage, so to speak, then immensely fun. Sort of reminds of why I like to hit myself in the head with a hammer: it feels so good when I stop.
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

This poll is behaving differently from any other poll I have started here, and differently from how textbooks on polling suggest that that it should. On most polls, a clear trend emerges early, and tends to be maintained.
For example, if, out of 10 responders, 2 people chosse choice one, 2 choose choice 2, and 6 choose choice 3, that tends to be maintained; out of 50 responders, around 10 would choose choice 1, 10 would choose choice 2, and 30 would choose choice 3.

With this poll, the numbers vary pretty much at random as the number of responders increases, indicating perhaps that people are choosing an answer to achieve a positive or negative score, rather than answering with accuraracy as a main objective.
Fascinating! Also fun. As it should be, this being The Circus.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aggie:
I don't think I loathe most people . . .

. . . she said, before talking about all the kinds of people she loathed.

Hon, you've got the tiger avatar. You're supposed to loathe pretty much everyone.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nope, sorry, the quiz sucks. I scored in the positives, and I loathe humanity (in the words of the immortal Erin: "I hate people - they suck festering mongoose balls. And I'm a classic extrovert." Except I'm not even an extrovert. Although I do miss Erin).

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fradgan
Apprentice
# 16455

- Posted      Profile for Fradgan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tend to find something to like in most individuals, but I am repulsed by most crowds.

--------------------
"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Posts: 37 | From: San Gabriel | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Aggie
Ship's cat
# 4385

- Posted      Profile for Aggie   Email Aggie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AristonAstuanax:
quote:
Originally posted by Aggie:
I don't think I loathe most people . . .

. . . she said, before talking about all the kinds of people she loathed.

Hon, you've got the tiger avatar. You're supposed to loathe pretty much everyone.

That's not most people, only an irritating minority [Smile]

--------------------
“I see his blood upon the rose
And in the stars the glory of his eyes,
His body gleams amid eternal snows,
His tears fall from the skies.”
(Joseph Mary Plunkett 1887-1917)

Posts: 581 | From: A crazy, crazy world | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016