homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Marriage vs God (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Marriage vs God
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think its worth thinking through what practical difference it makes.

Depending on denomination - apart from a Christian trying act in a Christian way, which would generally mean honesty, not hurting people and following the golden rule etc - you might be talking about a person being off out an hour a week.

In another denomination; it might be that said person will be able bible study one night, accountability group the next, then choir practice, plus two services and making lifestyle decisions such as becoming teetotal and stopping smoking and smoking weed that they want their partner to fall in with.

Or is it more that a view of a relationship is that each partner has to be the most important thing in the other partner's life. If so, as others have said, I think that is unrealistic. If your partner defrauded someone £100,000 - would you hand them over to the police if they wouldn't do it themselves ? I hope so.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
The minute you have a child, you are relegated to 2nd place.

This is true. Babies are totally dependent and they have to come first or they wouldn't survive.
Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by E to the i pi:
That is an interesting take on the situation. But would any Christian be willing to pledge allegiance to the Kingdom of Heaven rather than the individual?

(I hope that's general enough).

If you're British, you swear allegiance to the Crown, as personified by Her Maj QEII. And in olden times, if you believed in the Divine Right of kings, to quote Louis the (XX-ish, I can never remember which), "L'Etat, c'est moi". I am the State.

The New Testament was written at a time when the king/emperor was the very embodiment of the people, and a lot of theology in it (and afterwards, up to post-medieval times) is couched in those terms. A whole theory of atonement (Anselm's Satisfaction theory, and no shipmates, we're so not going there [Biased] ) is based around medieval concepts of fealty and honour.

Jesus is our King, not our husband (and for the record, I'm a straight bloke).

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
E to the i pi
Shipmate
# 16762

- Posted      Profile for E to the i pi   Email E to the i pi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think I've ever been called apon to give the loyal toast (I'm neither a member of the of armed forces, nor an MP.) If I were called I'm not sure whether I would do so or not. There are plenty of religious groups that would agree with me on that bit.

In other words, make heaven into a constitutional monarchy with a directly elected head of government and I'll start being more interested.

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
It's more akin to having your partner change nationality and their allegiance is to another country. Odd, but not insurmountable, and the only real effect is if there's a war on between your country and theirs.

My atheist husband says he thinks it's a bit more complicated than that. And it's not just about the time element either, though he has a reciprocal "other woman" in sailing which takes up a roughly equivalent amount of time and interest as the practical bits of God stuff do to me.

He does feel, or rather did, that there's a 3rd "thing" in the marriage, which is God. But this was the state of affairs before we married, so we've had it much easier than Theophania and Pi fella.

It is, perhaps, a question of personalities and which bits of faith you actually talk about. Apparantly (this isn't something we discuss often!) I talk a lot about faith, and trying to understand what God meant or did by xyz, but I don't discuss Jesus in starry-eyed, breathlessly excited terms - not to suggest you do either, Theophania, ofc. He thinks he'd find that rather more difficult.

And I get irrationally grumpy at the start of every sailing season where said husband is bouncing up and down like an over-excited schoolboy at the prospect of a day's sailing, especially if I'm already tired and grumpy and the kids are fighting. So, yes, in a tiny way, I think I get it. It's not the time, or any sort of infidelity, it's that something else makes him this happy and it's not me. That's not mature, and it's not rational, but sometimes it rankles.

The whole God thing bothers my husband much less now. He comes to church occasionally (when it doesn't clash with sailing) even on church weekends away [Eek!] and thinks it's been rather a journey over 12 years or so. From my point of view, having an atheist husband over the process of nearly losing my own faith, has been A Good Thing.

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
... The problem is having something that is considered to be ultimately more important than the relationship. It doesn't matter if it's another person, a sport or a god - if when push came to shove the person would chose it over the relationship then it's a threat. ...

But why should push come to shove? There isn't necessarily a conflict unless the two people decide to make it one e.g. by demanding a choice between football and church on Sundays. Any reason why they can't go separately, or alternate, or do something else entirely, or whatever? I think something is seriously awry in a relationship if it does reach the ultimatum stage, but I also believe it was awry before the two choices presented themselves. They're just the pretext for indulging in a bit of an "if you loved me" control game, which in itself is a sign of insecurity. (Trust me, I've been on both sides of the game. [Frown] [Hot and Hormonal] )

Relationships by their nature and variety aren't necessarily either/or, zero-sum arrangements (obviously some are). We can have lots of friends, and our friends don't ask to be ranked against, say, our jobs or family members or whatnot. As Henry Higgins asked, "Would you be livid if I took out another fellow?" OliviaG

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
BarbaraG
Shipmate
# 399

- Posted      Profile for BarbaraG     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm a non-Trinitarian atheist, so I don't see that as just a substitution.

Err... so you don't believe in the Christian Trinitarian understanding of God.... but do believe in other conceptions of God - or at least, are more willing to relate to them? But I think you said elsewhere that you don't believe in any sort of God.

To get back to the theological discussion, as our host has directed: a new or different religious belief/practice is a substantial change in one partner in a marriage, and it should not be a big surprise that it causes a sense of threat in the other partner. The Christian partner is enjoined to do their absolute best to be a loving and supportive spouse, while also being faithful to their Lord. In cases of direct conflict - the Christian must choose Christ.

Now, if the non-Christian partner adheres to another faith, or is a career criminal, there are going to be lots of occasions of conflict, but excepting those two cases, it's really up to the non-Christian spouse whether they are going to create situations of conflict or not.

I was in a similar situation some 20 years ago ( not identical), so I have some experience of the dynamics. Very difficult, but not hopeless, as long as both partners want to make the situation work.

BarbaraG

--------------------
still trying to make sense of the world

Posts: 143 | From: Nottinghamshire | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't think I've ever been called apon to give the loyal toast (I'm neither a member of the of armed forces, nor an MP.) If I were called I'm not sure whether I would do so or not. There are plenty of religious groups that would agree with me on that bit.

In other words, make heaven into a constitutional monarchy with a directly elected head of government and I'll start being more interested.

You are, whether you like it or not (and I have strong republican leanings), a subject of Her Maj, and very few people either today or throughout history ever get to choose who rules them. Or how.

Your wife has chosen God, as best described by the person of Jesus, to be her king. Difficult to be ruled by someone you don't believe exists, so it's not for you.

quote:
Originally posted by Jemima the 9th:
My atheist husband says he thinks it's a bit more complicated than that. And it's not just about the time element either, though he has a reciprocal "other woman" in sailing which takes up a roughly equivalent amount of time and interest as the practical bits of God stuff do to me.

Any analogy breaks down if you push it far enough. [Razz] Currently, I'm more than a little involved with a pseudo-16th century Austrian town, and will be for the probably the next 12 months. Guaranteed I'll spend more time there than here, and with fictional Jews, princes and librarians than with my wife. And I wasn't an author when I got married: be glad it's only sailing...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

quote:
If you're British, you swear allegiance to the Crown, as personified by Her Maj QEII.
When I took my Oath of Fealty it was directly to Brenda "mine sovereign liege lady, Elizabeth" but it wasn't a "British" Oath, in that the wording of the oath pre-dated the Union of the Crowns. This has come up on the Ship before when Matt Black and I, lawyers both, were mutually astonished that most Scottish solicitors have taken an oath of Fealty and most English solicitors haven't. When Brenda goes, my Oath ends - I haven't sworn allegiance to the Crown, but to Bren as an individual.

I wonder if there's an analogy here, in that technical understandings of loyalty and allegiance can be internalised and assumed by one person, but understood in a completely different way by another?

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
I don't get why so many people are finding that very simple problem so hard to understand.

Because, as someone said up-thread, it's as big a category error to see Jesus as a romantic love rival as it is to see a son or daughter as a romantic love rival.
I wasn't talking about a romantic rival per se, as my inclusion of "sport" in the list of things that can cause such a problem should really have indicated.

It's about your partner having something else in their life that's more important to them than you. Something that, if it became necessary, they would leave you for. A romantic love rival is only one of many things that may be in that category, but they all potentially lead to the same place - separation. Hence why they're all threats.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OliviaG:
But why should push come to shove? There isn't necessarily a conflict unless the two people decide to make it one e.g. by demanding a choice between football and church on Sundays.

I gave several examples of potential conflict in this post back on page 1.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If a relationship, partnership, marriage or union is a stable place of trust and love then there are no such things as "threats".
Perfect love casts out fear and all that.
The problem is when we feel we're on the wrong side of that "if". Which I am guessing includes virtually everyone at one time or another.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think each of the examples you gave, Marvin, would be issues to be worked out within the framework of the marriage. So far as I'm aware, the marriage promises do not exclude either of the partners from the possibility of a genuine change of mind on such matters. Such issues can be worked on, and worked out, if there is love and goodwill at work.

The issue gets really difficult if the perception of the spouse is that his or her partner has become involved with a controlling cult - and that perception has some foundation. Let's face it, such cults exist and some of them have Christian Church signs on the door.

If the partner has that fear, and has their own reasons for it, then the convert is well advised to listen carefully and consider well. Adult converts are not always fully aware of the nature of the local church they have become linked to. There may be a genuine desire to protect a loved one, but it is easily misread as an attempt to control.

And that issue can also be worked out within a marriage, provided there is the necessary trust that your partner is, in their own way, looking out for you. If, however, the relationship is already in difficulties because of control issues, then help is needed from experienced third parties to untangle the knots.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
I think each of the examples you gave, Marvin, would be issues to be worked out within the framework of the marriage. So far as I'm aware, the marriage promises do not exclude either of the partners from the possibility of a genuine change of mind on such matters. Such issues can be worked on, and worked out, if there is love and goodwill at work.

...and as long as both partners are coming from the same perspective in terms of what's really important.

But religious moral imperatives don't work like that, do they? Catholics don't get a pass on using contraception just because their non-religious partner doesn't want (any more) kids. Someone who now believes strongly in spiritual warfare isn't going to blithely accept their kids going out at halloween dressed as demons, regardless of how much the kids have enjoyed it in previous years.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm armed by the experiences of a long marriage, Marvin. My wife and I have differed, sometimes sharply, on moral and behavioural issues, while both being Christian. Maybe it's a feature of our mutual nonconformism. After nearly 44 years, we've worked most things out and disagree very rarely about anything. But there have certainly been times when we have been divided by a common faith! We learned how to live with our differences, because in the end that was the agape way i.e not to insist on our own way. And before the differences were resolved, we found compromises. That's pretty hard to do over issues like contraception - but we didn't have that one.

Learning to live with differences of outlook is common to all marriages, isn't it? Maybe what made it easier in our case is that we were not Christian when we married and so we both experienced conversion within the framework of our marriage? Not sure. I think we argued more in the first five years after conversion than we did before!

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Speaking generally now) Alternatively, someone could be a better partner for having a Christian faith - for example, if they regularly pray that they might be a better partner and constantly try to live up to the high ideals of the Christian life. If an Atheist was not so frightened or threatened by the spiritual relationship, he/she might be able to view his/her marriage in that more positive light.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
I don't get why so many people are finding that very simple problem so hard to understand.

Because, as someone said up-thread, it's as big a category error to see Jesus as a romantic love rival as it is to see a son or daughter as a romantic love rival.
I wasn't talking about a romantic rival per se, as my inclusion of "sport" in the list of things that can cause such a problem should really have indicated.

It's about your partner having something else in their life that's more important to them than you. Something that, if it became necessary, they would leave you for. A romantic love rival is only one of many things that may be in that category, but they all potentially lead to the same place - separation. Hence why they're all threats.

It sounds like what's being held up as the ideal here is a situation where the spouse is somehow tied so inextricably to you that you can be 100% certain that they cannot, will not, never ever ever ever leave you & break your heart.

That's called slavery.

Outside of slavery, every relationship requires some risk. All relationships are threatened by the possibility that someone may find a job offer in another city or a enthralling hobby that is more interesting than the spouse. All relationships are threatened by the possibility that (like one of our Supreme Court Justices) a spouse will develop debilitating dementia and forget they are married and fall in love w/ someone else.

As I've said before, most certainly, if you have children, they will come before the spouse, absolutely. If you have to choose between them, the kids will win, every time.

That's the nature of relationships. It is painful, but it is unavoidable. Again, we can tiptoe around it with some polite fictions about eternal love, but the evidence is all around us that it is precisely that-- a polite fiction.

I have lost a spouse to adultery. It is absolutely, gut-wrenchingly horrible. But you will survive. And knowing that, paradoxically, helps you to become the type of person who is less likely to be the victim of adultery. Today my 2nd husband and I are off to celebrate our 21st wedding anniversary. There is hope, there is joy, there is love, but it doesn't come by desperately clawing your way to it.

There are no guarantees in life, most especially in relationships. But if you don't want to lose your spouse, the best way to avoid that is not to control his/her interests, desires, and passions, but to focus on yourself. Become the sort of man or woman who is desirable and interesting and loving.

[ 31. December 2011, 17:26: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

...and as long as both partners are coming from the same perspective in terms of what's really important.

But religious moral imperatives don't work like that, do they? Catholics don't get a pass on using contraception just because their non-religious partner doesn't want (any more) kids. Someone who now believes strongly in spiritual warfare isn't going to blithely accept their kids going out at halloween dressed as demons, regardless of how much the kids have enjoyed it in previous years.

No, but other sorts of moral imperatives will happen as well. Does the new vegan made ham & cheese sandwiches for the kids? Do you homeschool or public school? Democrat or Republican?

I agree w/ Barnabus: you've got to find ways to see these conflicts as normal: uncomfortable, but inevitable. You have to find systems for negotiating these differences, whether they arise from religious convictions or other sorts of deeply held beliefs. You have to find ways to listen to each other, trust one another, even as you disagree. To respect one another. This is as true for couples with the same religious beliefs as it is for those in "mixed" marriages. It's part of the deal.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Absolutely. My physical, emotional, and mental well-being. If it became necessary, and my spouse was abusing me, I would leave her for that. Is my unwillingness to be a doormat a threat to my wife? Only if she wants to make me a doormat.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This has been a fascinating thread to read through; I'm sorry I missed it in real time. If anyone's still reading and interested, here are my reactions:
quote:
Originally posted by Theophania:
quote:
originally posted by Evensong:
What if Jesus was female?

He'd find that a lot easier to deal with, he says.
Does he understand you're not having a relationship with Jesus' male parts? [Help]

quote:
Originally posted by Alisdair:
For a start the man in question has been out of 'the market' for 2,000 odd years. For another, what does your position imply for any other male friends your wife may have? And for a third, anyone who seriously sets out to follow Christ's way, very quickly learns that the call to put Christ (God) first is a call to truly understand the meaning of love for others, and that is expressed powerfully in the relationship between a husband and a wife.

I would submit that Jesus was never "on the market" - marriage was not an option for Him, since His purpose was to die, not to leave a widow and orphans behind.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Alisdair:
And for a third, anyone who seriously sets out to follow Christ's way, very quickly learns that the call to put Christ (God) first is a call to truly understand the meaning of love for others, and that is expressed powerfully in the relationship between a husband and a wife.

But in that situation the husband or wife is still coming second. A close second perhaps, but second nonetheless.

The problem is having something that is considered to be ultimately more important than the relationship. It doesn't matter if it's another person, a sport or a god - if when push came to shove the person would chose it over the relationship then it's a threat.

I think the part of the wife which is 'involved' with Jesus is not a part which is available to the husband, not really. I realize that doesn't remove the dilemma you present - but I think it does cast it in a slightly different light.

Our human nature is inclined to be co-dependent with other people; I think this is because we were built to be co-dependent with God but it's easier to be co-dependent with a physically-present human than a spiritually-accessed God.

quote:
Much of what we believe about marriage is a romantic fiction. It's lovely talking about nothing coming before your spouse, but it's not true for any of us. The minute you have a child, you are relegated to 2nd place. Do something to hurt that child and you will find that out right quick.

Exactly! Think how we despise a woman who stays with a husband who abuses their children (or her children, for that matter).

quote:
That is an interesting take on the situation. But would any Christian be willing to pledge allegiance to the Kingdom of Heaven rather than the individual?

Probably not, because Jesus says that no one enters the Kingdom of Heaven except through Him-- you need to possess the key to unlock the door.

quote:
posted by Barnabas62:
Learning to live with differences of outlook is common to all marriages, isn't it? Maybe what made it easier in our case is that we were not Christian when we married and so we both experienced conversion within the framework of our marriage? Not sure. I think we argued more in the first five years after conversion than we did before!

I believe it - I expect it's a fascinating tale. Did you convert at approximately the same time, responding to generally the same influences? Glad you made it!

Loved this post, cliffdweller.

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excellent advice from Boogie on down ... (I've ALWAYS wanted to say that, without knowing it!)

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
E to the i pi
Shipmate
# 16762

- Posted      Profile for E to the i pi   Email E to the i pi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege:
quote:
Originally posted by Theophania:
quote:
originally posted by Evensong:
What if Jesus was female?

He'd find that a lot easier to deal with, he says.
Does he understand you're not having a relationship with Jesus' male parts? [Help]

What is it with Christians assuming relationships are all about sex? There are gender roles in how humans relate to each other and I had expected primacy in that position with my wife. Evidently I was wrong.

quote:
Originally posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege:
Our human nature is inclined to be co-dependent with other people; I think this is because we were built to be co-dependent with God but it's easier to be co-dependent with a physically-present human than a spiritually-accessed God.

Alternatively social co-dependence evolved and was co-opted memetically when mysticism developed.
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the old marriage vows, women had to "honour and obey" their husbands. But I don't think that was ever meant to apply to their religious views... "..for better for worse, as long as ye both shall live" seems more appropriate.

If a couple marry, and both are atheists, does that mean either one is barred from changing their minds unless they both convert at exactly the same time?

In simple terms, I think he needs to cut her some slack, and remember that she is still his wife. He could even listen to her now and again.. you never know, he might learn something.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
E to the i pi
Shipmate
# 16762

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
In the old marriage vows, women had to "honour and obey" their husbands. But I don't think that was ever meant to apply to their religious views... "..for better for worse, as long as ye both shall live" seems more appropriate.

If a couple marry, and both are atheists, does that mean either one is barred from changing their minds unless they both convert at exactly the same time?

In simple terms, I think he needs to cut her some slack, and remember that she is still his wife. He could even listen to her now and again.. you never know, he might learn something.

He is me. And she is no longer speaking to me, so it's all academic anyway. I would suggest to anyone that is considering a significant change in their philosophy of life (whether to or frrom belief, or from one to another) that they discuss it with the their significant other first, rather than presenting a fait accompli.
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
I would suggest to anyone that is considering a significant change in their philosophy of life (whether to or frrom belief, or from one to another) that they discuss it with the their significant other first, rather than presenting a fait accompli.

It sound like you could be in some pain right now, and perhaps that's shaping the way you respond. But honestly, that just sounds extraordinarily controlling. And it would sound that way to me if we were talking about gardening or going back to school or changing political parties or any of the myriad other ways that people will, in life, grow and change over time.

It can be disconcerting when someone we love changes, and you fear you'll not fit in well with their new life. But that is the way life is-- for all of us, yourself included. There's just no stopping it.

Despite the rhetoric, you don't "decide" to believe Jesus is Lord any more than you "decide" that strawberries are tasty. You have an experience that leads you to a conclusion. In fact, that's what life is made up of-- an endless string of experiences that you respond to, that shape you and your beliefs and values and interpretations of other experiences both past and future. That's true for believers and non-believers alike.

[ 12. May 2012, 21:15: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------

E to the i pi
Shipmate
# 16762

quote:
Despite the rhetoric, you don't "decide" to believe Jesus is Lord any more than you "decide" that strawberries are tasty. You have an experience that leads you to a conclusion. In fact, that's what life is made up of-- an endless string of experiences that you respond to, that shape you and your beliefs and values and interpretations of other experiences both past and future. That's true for believers and non-believers alike. [/QB]

How about if it were instead one's sexuality, another thing people don't just decide? Should you just go "Hello darling, I'm gay/straight/bisexual"?
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:
Despite the rhetoric, you don't "decide" to believe Jesus is Lord any more than you "decide" that strawberries are tasty. You have an experience that leads you to a conclusion. In fact, that's what life is made up of-- an endless string of experiences that you respond to, that shape you and your beliefs and values and interpretations of other experiences both past and future. That's true for believers and non-believers alike.

How about if it were instead one's sexuality, another thing people don't just decide? Should you just go "Hello darling, I'm gay/straight/bisexual"? [/QB]
You are aware, aren't you, that those conversations happen all the time, and pretty much precisely like that?

I've known a couple of women who have been on the receiving end of that conversation. And yes, it is extraordinarily painful. And yes, it signals a future that will be quite unlike the one you had dreamed of and planned for.

But there is a difference, isn't there? The "I'm gay" conversation almost by necessity ends the marriage (although not often, in my experience, the friendship). The "I'm Christian" conversation does not need to do so, any more than a "I've decided to become an anthropologist" would.

Again, not meaning to suggest that life for you right now is easy, or that you should just "roll with it". But it also does seem you are making it harder than it need be precisely because of some of the unnecessary baggage and assumptions you are making.

--------------------

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
sense of humour always helps - being the partner of a True Believer who can't rib their own beliefs is a recipe for sorrow

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Jahlove:
sense of humour always helps - being the partner of a True Believer who can't rib their own beliefs is a recipe for sorrow

True. But that's apt to change, in my experience. New Believers (whether of Christianity or the new fitness fad, or whatever) tend to be a passionate but serious lot-- hard to get them to lighten up about something they've experienced as life-changing. But after awhile we all tend to lighten up and see the ridiculous side of even our most passionate pursuits.

--------------------

E to the i pi
Shipmate
# 16762

quote:
But there is a difference, isn't there? The "I'm gay" conversation almost by necessity ends the marriage (although not often, in my experience, the friendship). The "I'm Christian" conversation does not need to do so, any more than a "I've decided to become an anthropologist" would.

I suspect there are marriages continuing in which one or both parties aren't sexually interested in the gender of their spouse. And the "I'm a believer in X/I'm atheist" conversation may or may not force the end the relationship depending on the personal beilefs of the participants. Saying it isn't is just as controlling.

quote:

Again, not meaning to suggest that life for you right now is easy, or that you should just "roll with it". But it also does seem you are making it harder than it need be precisely because of some of the unnecessary baggage and assumptions you are making. [/QB]

It's my baggage. I get to decide what is necessary. Hence suggesting that people discuss things beforehand.
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems a bit odd that both you and your wife would both discuss your marriage crisis on the same community board - a christian board at that, when you are an avowed atheist...

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

E to the i pi
Shipmate
# 16762

quote:
It seems a bit odd that both you and your wife would both discuss your marriage crisis on the same community board - a christian board at that, when you are an avowed atheist...

*shrug*. A Christian friend of my wife's started the thread. My wife told me it existed and was interested in what my view of the discussion on the subject was and whether any of it was useful. I felt that much of it fundamentally failed to understand the point of my objection (I think Mr. Martian got closest) so gave my own opinion and bookmarked the thread. I admit I haven't read anything much else on here.
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:

*shrug*. A Christian friend of my wife's started the thread. My wife told me it existed and was interested in what my view of the discussion on the subject was and whether any of it was useful. I felt that much of it fundamentally failed to understand the point of my objection (I think Mr. Martian got closest) so gave my own opinion and bookmarked the thread. I admit I haven't read anything much else on here.
And you are very welcome here. There are other atheists on this board, for a variety of reasons. And perhaps this can be a good place to come, and find out what this life change means for your partner, and if that is something you'll ever be able to accept and life with.

I had understood your objection to be one of a sort of "alienation of affections"-- is that correct? If not, perhaps you'd like to try again to explain?

As has been said upthread, I think the notion that it is undermining the primacy of the marital relationship is probably as much as a romantic misunderstanding of marriage than it is about the nature of Christianity.

--------------------

E to the i pi
Shipmate
# 16762

quote:

As has been said upthread, I think the notion that it is undermining the primacy of the marital relationship is probably as much as a romantic misunderstanding of marriage than it is about the nature of Christianity.

If you'd said a different conception, I'd have agreed with you. The way you phrase it makes it sound like you assume there can only one true, externally prescribed definition of marriage. At that point I think we reach the natural barrier in communication between believers and non-believers.
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:

If you'd said a different conception, I'd have agreed with you. The way you phrase it makes it sound like you assume there can only one true, externally prescribed definition of marriage. At that point I think we reach the natural barrier in communication between believers and non-believers.
I'm not talking about a "Christian" or "nonChristian" definition of marriage. I'm not even talking about what is ideal or desirable. I'm simply talking about the reality of human relationships. Descriptive, not prescriptive. Marriage-- all marriages, not just "Christian" ones (which are really not much different than anyone else's)-- has come to be viewed thru a romantic haze of polite fictions that don't much reflect the actual reality of the thing. I'm not talking about "definitions" I'm talking about human nature.

As I said upthread, if nothing else, you will find your romantic notions of the primacy of the marital relationship knocked off it's pedestal the minute the peestick turns blue. We'll still talk a good game and pretend it isn't so, but the reality is, that bond is going to trump all others.

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

One problem might be the way many of us talk about christianity as being "a personal relationship with Jesus". I'm not saying this is wrong, but it may lead to suggestions that "the bride of Christ" is just that one person.

"The Bride of Christ" is the whole Church of course, so it may be better to talk of "friendship" with Christ rather than "a personal relationship". I think that's how Pope Benedict has been talking.

--------------------

Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thought there are many ways that people find God, because of the way that belief and understanding works, it is not necessarily possible to discuss becoming a christian beforehand.

For many people belief strikes them without giving time to think about it. Also a lot of people don't go out to find God, he finds them along the way.

You see you be angry that your wife has made a decision without consulting you, but for those who have been hit by faith the decision is made for them.

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
E to the i pi
Shipmate
# 16762

quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
Thought there are many ways that people find God, because of the way that belief and understanding works, it is not necessarily possible to discuss becoming a christian beforehand.

For many people belief strikes them without giving time to think about it. Also a lot of people don't go out to find God, he finds them along the way.

You see you be angry that your wife has made a decision without consulting you, but for those who have been hit by faith the decision is made for them.

So the argument goes that my wife's conversion was fated and she cannot influence her beliefs, but mine are down to free will and I should change them? That doesn't seem very consistent.
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:

So the argument goes that my wife's conversion was fated and she cannot influence her beliefs, but mine are down to free will and I should change them? That doesn't seem very consistent.
I don't see anyone here expecting you to change your beliefs. Perhaps your wife hopes you will-- just as you hope she will change hers. But I don't see any expectation that you should come to faith on this thread.

But I do think you have some control over your interpretation of events. Clearly your wife's conversion has shaken up your domestic life, changed your relationship in ways you didn't choose. You're entitled to be pissed off at that, and to express that.

At the same time, though, some of the spin you're taking on this unexpected change of events is, I think, causing you unnecessary additional pain. Yes, it will be painful for you no matter what, but I think you are making it worse by the assumptions you are making about Christianity and "Christian marriage" (again, not really any different than "non-Christian marriage") and what it means for your wife to have a "relationship with Jesus".

I'm not saying that cuz I think you're a bad guy, but rather cuz I think you're a good guy and deserve to be happy.

--------------------

E to the i pi
Shipmate
# 16762

quote:
I don't see anyone here expecting you to change your beliefs. Perhaps your wife hopes you will-- just as you hope she will change hers. But I don't see any expectation that you should come to faith on this thread.

Whereas I see lots of people expecting me to change my beliefs in the incompatibility of my personal view of a rewarding relationship and belief in the Christian deities. If I did come to faith, it would probably be Thor worship and I don't think that would help.

quote:

But I do think you have some control over your interpretation of events. Clearly your wife's conversion has shaken up your domestic life, changed your relationship in ways you didn't choose. You're entitled to be pissed off at that, and to express that.

At the same time, though, some of the spin you're taking on this unexpected change of events is, I think, causing you unnecessary additional pain. Yes, it will be painful for you no matter what, but I think you are making it worse by the assumptions you are making about Christianity and "Christian marriage" (again, not really any different than "non-Christian marriage") and what it means for your wife to have a "relationship with Jesus".

I'm not saying that cuz I think you're a bad guy, but rather cuz I think you're a good guy and deserve to be happy.

Not different to you, perhaps. Different to me though. Different value systems, different choices. I hadn't realised quite how culturally separated my wife and I were until this thing started. Thank you for the sentiment.

[ 13. May 2012, 15:52: Message edited by: E to the i pi ]

Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

What I was trying to say to you that when your wife changed her beliefs, it may not have been possible to consult you about in the way that you seem to have wanted.
I wasn't trying to say anything about fate, just that you were not being excluded form her decision making, in the way that you seem to be thinking.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
E to the i pi:
quote:
I hadn't realised quite how culturally separated my wife and I were until this thing started.
That is key. Sorry it broadsided you both.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
E to the i pi
Shipmate
# 16762

quote:
What I was trying to say to you that when your wife changed her beliefs, it may not have been possible to consult you about in the way that you seem to have wanted.
I wasn't trying to say anything about fate, just that you were not being excluded form her decision making, in the way that you seem to be thinking.

More like in the way that she told me she did. According to her after the event, the whole decision process happened over the course of a month or more and she didn't tell me about it becuse "she thought I wouldn't be interested". I wouldn't like others to make that assumption of their loved ones.
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
...According to her after the event, the whole decision process happened over the course of a month or more and she didn't tell me about it because "she thought I wouldn't be interested". I wouldn't like others to make that assumption of their loved ones.

Well she was right - you're not interested (at least not in any positive way)

--------------------

Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

Nobody here is expecting you to come to faith. What we are struggling with, is to understand why no compromise seems to be possible. You can only see a future in your relationship if you wife has no faith.

Most of us know lots of couples where one partner only has a faith and their relationship survives with a bit of give and take on both sides.

Indeed on this board there are also people whose partner has a different faith from them, but they cope together.

That's the part that is hard to get a handle on, why there only black and white/either or, in the situation between you and your wife

E to the i pi
Shipmate
# 16762

quote:
Nobody here is expecting you to come to faith. What we are struggling with, is to understand why no compromise seems to be possible. You can only see a future in your relationship if you wife has no faith.

Most of us know lots of couples where one partner only has a faith and their relationship survives with a bit of give and take on both sides.

Indeed on this board there are also people whose partner has a different faith from them, but they cope together.

That's the part that is hard to get a handle on, why there only black and white/either or, in the situation between you and your wife

Firstly, as you admit yourself faith is not equal to Christianity. Indeed I have faith in the non existence of gods. Secondly, lack of faith in the divine and the spiritual is not equal to an absence of philosophy of life. Mine has a theory of the primacy of human relationships that is incompatible with Christianity. I think here is where the impossibility of compromise comes in; You can have gods first or you can have Man first. It's too many ideological hoops to jump through to have both first.
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

Then I can see why your wife, when she felt the first stirrings of faith, felt it was impossible to talk to you..
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you committed a serious crime, and your wife knew - eg you hit a pedestrian whilst driving, paniced and fled the scene of the accident and couldn't bring yourself to go to the police - would you expect her to keep the secret out of loyalty to you and the primacy of your relationship, or would you be able to accept it if she put conscience / law first and went to the police?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

E to the i pi
Shipmate
# 16762

quote:
Originally posted by Think²:
If you committed a serious crime, and your wife knew - eg you hit a pedestrian whilst driving, paniced and fled the scene of the accident and couldn't bring yourself to go to the police - would you expect her to keep the secret out of loyalty to you and the primacy of your relationship, or would you be able to accept it if she put conscience / law first and went to the police?

I could accept that, but I fail to see the relevance. Anthropomorphic deities are not principles.

[ 13. May 2012, 18:42: Message edited by: E to the i pi ]

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Anthropormorphic deities can be seen as a social construct that exists to codify and justify pro social behaviour. Not sure what you think the idea of a Christian God is going to get your wife to do? Or why it would suddenly take up more time than if she took up bridge as a hobby.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016