homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Are Men Useless? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Are Men Useless?
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess I've lived in L.A. long enough to know that once you get behind the velvet rope into the exclusive nightclub, you find out the martinis there are really not any different than the ones they serve at the neighborhood bar down the street that takes all comers.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
I find it difficult to escape the notion that if men ever were to create a new, legitimate and important men-only role or purpose in society the very first thing that would happen would be women demanding to be allowed to fill it as well.

Apart from prisons and public toilets, nothing is allowed to be men-only these days.

I find it difficult to see this as anything but bemoaning the loss of male privilege. Perhaps the men bewailing their loss of "roles" can step up and, yes, share the work of the women in their lives, many of whom are juggling two, three or even more roles these days.

Yeah, yeah, it's really sad that feminism, post-industrialization and globalism have all conspired to eliminate traditional male "roles", but that doesn't mean there isn't anything for men to do. Oh, it's not what you like to do? And you can't do it with just your buds? Poor diddums. [Roll Eyes] You can start by hauling water. OliviaG

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry to hear that life in Caprica City is so hard for you OliviaG.
Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by art dunce:
As the mother of a son and a daughter I'm glad that roles are disappearing. Both deserve the opportunity to define for themselves who/what they wish to be and not be forced to comply with a manufactured role based in a world view that had become obsolete.

Isn't it interesting, then... that in the experience of stay-at-home dads, the greatest hostility they encounter is from stay-at-home moms. (Voices in the Family, March 12)

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Parents in my community have never had the priviledge of being stay as home parents. Both work and so I am probably not one to comment on white, bourgeois disputes.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How nice that they can both find jobs at all these days. Not everyone is so fortunate.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:
Isn't it interesting, then... that in the experience of stay-at-home dads, the greatest hostility they encounter is from stay-at-home moms. (Voices in the Family, March 12)

But of course. Being a stay-at-home parent is still very much considered to be a female role, and there's naturally going to be a massive hostility towards any men who try to "invade" it.

But that's fine, because female-only roles are still considered a good thing. It's only male-only roles that are to be eliminated.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
Yes, the traditional roles for men are disappearing. So now you are faced with a challenge: allow that to define you as a mere biological footnote, and slink away to the margins to pout. Or make a new role. Find a new place, a new purpose. Define for yourselves who and what you want to be in this new era. As women have been doing for the last 100 yrs.

I find it difficult to escape the notion that if men ever were to create a new, legitimate and important men-only role or purpose in society the very first thing that would happen would be women demanding to be allowed to fill it as well.

Apart from prisons and public toilets, nothing is allowed to be men-only these days.

You're seriously saying you're unaware that until the past century men had created such a world and such roles for themselves? That it took hundreds of years for women to be allowed to be taken seriously enough as human beings to take part in that world at a level even beginning to approach equality? Even now in the USA and the UK, at least, women's pay has still to be on a parity with men's in some areas. You really want to go backwards to the golden era of men-only universities, professions, politics etc?

Seriously, go and visit those countries where many men enjoy the privileges you so yearn after and the women 'know their place' and keep to the kitchen, or fields, or wherever else their menfolk tell them to be. If you want to do something 'manly' and useful go to those places and do some good for the many, many people, of both sexes, who haven't a fraction of the privilege, wealth, freedom and opportunities you possess simply by being born in the 'right' country.

Believe it or not, I believe very much in affirming how much needed all people are, male and female, in all areas of life. I'm trying, at the moment, to think of specific ways of developing something practical in ministry among certain categories of men, in this area, because of the suicide rate, and the isolation of the farming community. Something that those men will feel they can relate to and will hopefully offer support to them. These problems are largely driven by rising unemployment, the recession and the loneliness of farming, as well as personal circumstances.

And believe it or not ( [Smile] ) I have a lot of sympathy for any man who feels that modern life has somehow disenfranchised him from taking part in a useful and fulfilling way. Even in this day and age, are there many women, especially of the older generations, who don't know how that feels?

But OTOH, there appears to be a crisis for some men in developed nations because we - in those nations - have undergone the difficult but necessary revolution of acknowledging that women's brains and characters can, in truth, handle the activities formerly denied them for millenia.

But instead of greeting this with remorse for the wasted lives and talents the golden era of men-only was responsible for, and, more importantly, rejoicing that at last we're moving on as a more fully developed species; we have to contend with the complaints of some men who don't like to share that privilege and who because it is no longer their's alone, somehow misconstrue that as saying it can't be their's at all.

Mary and Joseph, every time I want to soften up on the old feminist thing, I only have to check out a thread like this to make me wake up and smell the coffee (brewed by the underpaid illegal immigrant maid of course, in between her duties of cleaning the kitchen floor, doing the shopping and nursing the kids, before sending the money back to the Philippines, where she had to drop out of college in order to earn money to feed her elderly parents).

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
And believe it or not ( [Smile] ) I have a lot of sympathy for any man who feels that modern life has somehow disenfranchised him from taking part in a useful and fulfilling way.

The pertinent question is: what does it mean to be a man in this modern age?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alogon and Marvin. I'm going to assume that you don't want the clock turned back to the way things were. I may be wrong of course if so let me know. If not then what are you suggesting? That officially make some jobs men only?

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by George Spigot:
I'm going to assume that you don't want the clock turned back to the way things were.

Correct.

quote:
If not then what are you suggesting? That officially make some jobs men only?
I'm suggesting that we need a definition of what it means to be a man (as distinct from a woman) in modern society.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, Marvin, define it then - what does it mean to be a man in society? What is your definition, or the definition which you think men are striving for and which you're virtually stating is being denied them? As you clearly - and I'm sure sincerely - have an idea of what it is men are trying to 'be' or 'do' that is specifically particular to them, you must have a fairly clear idea of what that specific particular is.

The specifics that spring naturally to my mind, eg, include where male strength is of advantage, including directed aggression eg, warfare, which in no way do I mean derogatorily. The sacrifice of generations of men at the frontlines through war is something I respect, as well as grieve over.

Right or wrong, my own definitions involve what it is to be a 'member' of society, or a useful 'person'. But defining what it is to be a 'man' or a 'woman', which is not about biology, would be very interesting to hear. Genuinelly. I might well find your answer really helpful in my own feeble attempts to help the guys here.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marvin -

Do you not think that such matters emerge through custom and practice (assuming they emerge at all that is)? Honestly, I don't see that any one is going to give you a definition of what it means to be a man (or indeed a woman) in today's world.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm suggesting that we need a definition of what it means to be a man (as distinct from a woman) in modern society.

But why? Why do men need to define themselves as "distinct" from women?

Again, all of us are expendable. However much contribution I may feel I'm making to "society", there is nothing I do that cannot be done by someone else, of either gender. We can learn something from that about humility.

I don't need to define myself in "exclusion" to someone else. I'm not defined by someone else's deficiency. I bring what I bring to the table-- my own quirky, limited bits of strengths and weaknesses. Some people bring similar things, some people bring different things. That's OK.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Well, Marvin, define it then - what does it mean to be a man in society?

I genuinely don't know.

quote:
As you clearly - and I'm sure sincerely - have an idea of what it is men are trying to 'be' or 'do' that is specifically particular to them, you must have a fairly clear idea of what that specific particular is.
I don't know what the specific particular is. I just know that it feels pretty important to have one, and that not having one leads to a certain feeling of, well, uselessness.

Even when men and women are absolutely equal in all other respects, women will always have motherhood as that one thing that society absolutely needs them for. For men these days there's no comparable unique role.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cliffdweller wrote
quote:
Why do men need to define themselves as "distinct" from women?
An interesting question - though if you want to pursue it I would suggest it is better broadened out to include women too, who certainly do it in other contexts.

It's presumably because much of the discussion here has centred around work, and male identification with being the primary breadwinner.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

Marvin wrote
quote:
Even when men and women are absolutely equal in all other respects, women will always have motherhood as that one thing that society absolutely needs them for. For men these days there's no comparable unique role.
Not always - it's just a matter of time before we get to produce full ex-utero supports systems for the first 9 months of life. Think of all the advantages - no more mother-child incompatibilities, no more delivery pain, no more time off work, far easier access for monitoring and treating the baby.

Then women will have nothing unique to offer either.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
Cliffdweller wrote
quote:
An interesting question - though if you want to pursue it I would suggest it is better broadened out to include women too, who certainly do it in other contexts
Really? Can you say more? I can't really think of a time when women have asked the question being asked here-- "who am I to the exclusion of men>?" Perhaps that's due to our biological distinctive as child-bearers. otoh, perhaps it's due to the long experience of learning to read "men" and "he" as including us. Perhaps when you have to negotiate and struggle t receive equal ground, having exclusive ground is not a priority.

What are the contexts you were thinking of where women are asking this sort of question?

quote:

It's presumably because much of the discussion here has centred around work, and male identification with being the primary breadwinner.

That would make sense if it were a more recent question, since the recession, which has hit men disproportionately. But the question seems older than that.

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Not always - it's just a matter of time before we get to produce full ex-utero supports systems for the first 9 months of life. Think of all the advantages - no more mother-child incompatibilities, no more delivery pain, no more time off work, far easier access for monitoring and treating the baby.

In theory a good idea, in practice probably incredibly difficult, and unlikely to be economically viable when there are millions of desperately impoverished girls and women in the world. Remember wet-nurses? Today we have lots of nannies and yes, surrogate mothers. Contracting out the icky bits of parenthood has always been one of the perks of wealth. OliviaG
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

quote:
quote:
Well, Marvin, define it then - what does it mean to be a man in society?

I genuinely don't know.

quote:
As you clearly - and I'm sure sincerely - have an idea of what it is men are trying to 'be' or 'do' that is specifically particular to them, you must have a fairly clear idea of what that specific particular is.
I don't know what the specific particular is. I just know that it feels pretty important to have one, and that not having one leads to a certain feeling of, well, uselessness.

That's not a lot to work with! And it doesn't seem that different from the questions *everyone* asks themselves, regardless of sex: Who am I? What is my purpose? How am I doing?

quote:

I think I see the problem: men used to have "default" roles that answered those questions for them - "I'm a soldier" or "I'm a doctor" or whatever. Now that women can be soldiers or doctors, those aren't "male" roles anymore. Whereas it seems that women will always have the mom role to fall back on. Am I getting it?

If so, I still don't have an answer for a man that would be any different from what I would give to a woman asking the same questions. What are you good at? Who needs you? What do you need to do to take care of yourself? OliviaG

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

quote:
Alogon and Marvin. I'm going to assume that you don't want the clock turned back to the way things were. I may be wrong of course if so let me know. If not then what are you suggesting? That officially make some jobs men only?

Basically, I am amazed at the deafening silence over the fact that, while we're still focused on "equal" opportunity for women, they now outnumber men in college by a ratio of 3 to 2; and admissions offices are scrambling to keep the figures from becoming even more lopsided.

Once upon a time, when the ratio was presumably in the other direction, the diagnosis was that teaching in the elementary and secondary schools favored boys and had to change to be more sensitive to girls' needs. But now the schools are set up just fine: it's the boys who have to change if they want to get with the program. Or if they don't, that's fine too. NPR broadcast an interesting segment a few years ago called "opting out of college," with approximately seven case studies: all male. They should have called it "opting boys out of college."

Now I'll sit back and watch the various rationalizations for this state of affairs start rolling in.

--------------------

art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Other than on television/movies etc I have no experience with this mindset. In my upbringing and my community now everyone works(ed) from childhood. Maybe it's a rural mindset, or a class difference or a cultural divide but this idea is foreign to me. There are many people who become educated now and then they work too, male and female.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

Alogon

Plenty of jobs if you'll do the work.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:

Basically, I am amazed at the deafening silence over the fact that, while we're still focused on "equal" opportunity for women, they now outnumber men in college by a ratio of 3 to 2; and admissions offices are scrambling to keep the figures from becoming even more lopsided.
But the total percentage of males attending college has remained constant. What has happened is that greater numbers of females have entered colleges, and that those institutions have been able (until recently anyway) to open up additional spaces. So the advances of women in higher education really, really have not come at the expense of men. In a changing marketplace we might want to find ways to encourage more boys to consider higher education. What we've learned from what worked for encouraging women to enter college may provide some helpful models there. But the problem is decidedly not that women are displacing men in higher ed.

Another example of how zero-sum thinking often gets it wrong.

quote:
[QUOTE]
Now I'll sit back and watch the various rationalizations for this state of affairs start rolling in.

What would we need to rationalize?

--------------------

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

quote:
Alogon

Plenty of jobs if you'll do the work.

In other words, raising children is not a real job?

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Basically, I am amazed at the deafening silence over the fact that, while we're still focused on "equal" opportunity for women, they now outnumber men in college [...]

What "deafening silence"? People go on about it all the time.

And we don't need "rationalisations" because the reason is obvious. Teenage girls do better at exams because they are actually clever than boys of the same age because they develop faster. A fourteen-year-old girl is on average the equal of a sixteen-year-old boy. As you can see walking down any street at the time school comes out. The men catch up by the early twenties but by then most exams are past.

So if you have an educational system based on passing exams, girls will on average do better than boys unless you deliberately bias the results against them - as was done until the 1970s or 1980s.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Other than on television/movies etc I have no experience with this mindset. In my upbringing and my community now everyone works...
Everybody works for money, and in the working class everybody always did. The idea that women don't go out to work was a luxury few could afford a century ago. It's simply not true that women didn't work for money (It is true that married women with young children avoided working outside the home if they could - but then it still is)

But it *is* still true that there is a cultural expectation that men work to provide for women and children and a man who doesn't or can't is seen as useless, and made to feel useless, in a way that doesn't quite apply to women, even now. Maybe its more a working-class thing than a middle-class thing but it does exist.

Also - and this is more a middle-class thing that a working-class thing - women seem to be more likely to talk or think about work in terms of self-fulfilment or self-development. Men are much more likely to admit that they just work for money. Other benefits are all well and good, but they are not the point of it, and many men will say they would give up work if they didn't need to earn money.

--------------------
Ken

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

Apologies to those who responded to my last post - just a quick note to say I've got a family reunion on the go here, but will try to respond tomorrow evening.

Meanwhile - what ken just said - the point was identification.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

quote:

'Full womb envy', eh, Marvin? [Biased]

Marvin, women do not 'always have motherhood'. Can you imagine what it must be like to live in a society where one's unique sellling point is defined as having babies, and you aren't doing it? If I - and countless, countless other women like me - thought like that and accepted it, we'd be mental cases in a month.

Think like this. A man's uniqueness is in being the man that only he can be, as best he can. And it's the same for a woman to be the best she can be, as a woman, which may or may not involve reproduction.

We must set ourselves and each other free from narrow definitions which end up defining not who we really are, or are capable of being, but where we have failed to live up to a particular definition.

We need men to be teachers, clergy, politicans, lawyers, judges, soldiers, office and factory workers of integrity, judgement, wisdom, courage, humour and ability. We need men to be uncles, brothers, fathers, sons, cousins, friends and colleagues of compassion, humanity, loyalty and virtue.

You, yourself, are already a role-model for any boy who observes you. And, in an equally important way, you are a formative influence for the girl who observes you. Three of the most important and formative influences of my life were my father, my uncle and brother (and remain so). I thank God for them and who they are (were) and for the way they uniquely had of being the men they were. No-one else could have been to me, what they were and being a man, was a big and indispensable part of that.

Are men uniquely 'needed' for these things because they are better at them than women. I don't know. Just be the best man you can be, Marvin. No-one else can do that bit for you - and that's where your uniqueness really matters.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:

'Full womb envy', eh, Marvin? [Biased]

Marvin, women do not 'always have motherhood'. Can you imagine what it must be like to live in a society where one's unique sellling point is defined as having babies, and you aren't doing it? If I - and countless, countless other women like me - thought like that and accepted it, we'd be mental cases in a month.

Think like this. A man's uniqueness is in being the man that only he can be, as best he can. And it's the same for a woman to be the best she can be, as a woman, which may or may not involve reproduction.

We must set ourselves and each other free from narrow definitions which end up defining not who we really are, or are capable of being, but where we have failed to live up to a particular definition.

We need men to be teachers, clergy, politicans, lawyers, judges, soldiers, office and factory workers of integrity, judgement, wisdom, courage, humour and ability. We need men to be uncles, brothers, fathers, sons, cousins, friends and colleagues of compassion, humanity, loyalty and virtue.

You, yourself, are already a role-model for any boy who observes you. And, in an equally important way, you are a formative influence for the girl who observes you. Three of the most important and formative influences of my life were my father, my uncle and brother (and remain so). I thank God for them and who they are (were) and for the way they uniquely had of being the men they were. No-one else could have been to me, what they were and being a man, was a big and indispensable part of that.

Are men uniquely 'needed' for these things because they are better at them than women. I don't know. Just be the best man you can be, Marvin. No-one else can do that bit for you - and that's where your uniqueness really matters.

this says it all.
[Overused]

--------------------

jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nicely put, Anselmina.

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

quote:
Originally posted by OliviaG:
quote:

In theory a good idea, in practice probably incredibly difficult, and unlikely to be economically viable when there are millions of desperately impoverished girls and women in the world. Remember wet-nurses? Today we have lots of nannies and yes, surrogate mothers. Contracting out the icky bits of parenthood has always been one of the perks of wealth. OliviaG
Actually, I suspect it's a lot closer than you think (link). But to be honest, I only really pointed the matter out in response to Marvin's previous post. The article is worth a look, though some of the scenarios at the end appear to be more related to eating too much runny cheese last thing at night. It does provide a parallel opportunity to think about some future scenario that would likely impact women's sense of identity more than men's. It's a fairly low-risk activity as we are not there yet, and it might help thinking about such identity questions in general, if some people are blocked from this one for some reason.

Even so, it is interesting that the some feminists see this as an appalling thing, whereas others don't. And in a way that echoes the fact that some men seem to have a real identity problem such as Marvin has been trying to articulate. Others of us don't see it that way.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

Teenage girls do better at exams because they are actually clever than boys of the same age because they develop faster. A fourteen-year-old girl is on average the equal of a sixteen-year-old boy. As you can see walking down any street at the time school comes out. The men catch up by the early twenties but by then most exams are past.

To confirm what you say there, I have a son who didn't perform well at school . He then had a taste of the workplace and wasn't overly keen on that either.

Having interest in modern music he decided to ditch everything and enroll on a university course in his early 20s and, by all accounts, is doing very well at it.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
Cliffdweller wrote
quote:
An interesting question - though if you want to pursue it I would suggest it is better broadened out to include women too, who certainly do it in other contexts
Really? Can you say more? I can't really think of a time when women have asked the question being asked here-- "who am I to the exclusion of men>?" Perhaps that's due to our biological distinctive as child-bearers. otoh, perhaps it's due to the long experience of learning to read "men" and "he" as including us. Perhaps when you have to negotiate and struggle t receive equal ground, having exclusive ground is not a priority.

What are the contexts you were thinking of where women are asking this sort of question?

I think you have taken my quote beyond the meaning I intended, though I should try to unpack that a bit.

I not entirely sure why either men or women seem to define themselves as distinct from each other. Putting aside obvious sex differences, we are in the realm of constructed gender identities. We could discuss that I guess, but it seems to me that the two competing views in town at present are the sociological and the anthropological. They disagree. Nevertheless it seems true to me that people continue to do this. Why won't men do more flower-arranging for the church? Why won't more women join our wine-tasting and dining group? There's no valid reason I can think of, but people go on doing it.

The question of power is a rather different one, as I think there's plenty of evidence to demonstrate that power cliques tend to try to hold on to power irrespective of whether they are predominantly one sex, or mixed. Power cliques or groups don't stay as power cliques without excluding someone or some class of people. The noun patriarchy - the form of power group we are mostly talking about here - was originally intended to describe a particular situation, but if reified, it's going to run into all sorts of problems, eliding power with agency and of course gender which at the extreme will verge on conspiracy theories. In any event, I think that the issue of gender identity precedes the issue of power chronologically at least, and in that respect it likely to be more fruitful if dealt with separately (or in parallel if you like).

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think men are "useless" by a long shot. (especially when I need my roof shoveled or my car fixed!)

However, I do think than in many cultures men have been disenfranchised. Here, only a few generations back, men hunted and provided all the protein for a family. Now, that comes from a store. Men cut down the wood for heat; now, that comes from a thermostatically controlled heater that is fueled from a tank that someone autofills. men protected their family and village from raids that are now illegal and the cops enforce this peace. men built boats; now they can buy them. men moved the village seasonally, now we stay put.

the economy has become one of money, but the year-round jobs in our rural areas are more traditionally filled by women - teachers, health care workers, administrators. so the women bring in the money, and pay for the food, and the fuel, and the boats. men have a hope of seasonal work, but it means spending the whole winter unemployed, and, well, useless.

the jobs that would work well for traditional male roles that ARE year round require relocating to urban areas - something which happens too much already. it means leaving your home and sometimes leaving your family behind; and when you get there, there may be race, education, or culture based bias against a rural man getting those jobs anyway.

I don't blame the men for this situation, but it is here and is probably here to stay. We, as a society, need to make sure than when we take away the traditional role of someone, there is something to replace it. and we need to be patient in developing places while the men discover their new roles and while the culture evolves enough to re-enfranchise the men. it takes generations to deal with changes that have come upon so much of the world very, very fast.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
I don't think men are "useless" by a long shot. (especially when I need my roof shoveled or my car fixed!)

Then I would have answered the thread title's question: "No - but in my case, yes."

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet
However, I do think than in many cultures men have been disenfranchised. Here, only a few generations back, men hunted and provided all the protein for a family. Now, that comes from a store. Men cut down the wood for heat; now, that comes from a thermostatically controlled heater that is fueled from a tank that someone autofills. men protected their family and village from raids that are now illegal and the cops enforce this peace. men built boats; now they can buy them.

This fascinates me because it echoes what Dorothy Sayers said about the role of women. In the Middle Ages a wife had about the same degree of responsibility as her husband. If she were married to the lord of the castle, she was responsible for arranging and supervising the preparation of food, the making of clothing and everything else involving textiles (starting with the fleece or flax), the making of candles and all other necessary domestic items.

Gradually many of these jobs were removed from the home. Women were still responsible for cooking, but they bought the food they cooked. They still made clothing, but they bought the fabric. There was far less work involved, but also far less responsibility and the satisfaction of meeting responsibility. Work outside the home was more interesting.

What comet said makes me think that men are now experiencing what women did a few centuries ago. I don't blame them for being uncomfortable with the situation.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The OP, like much of this thread, is misandrist because it has based it's definition of "useful" on how well that gender helps out with the focus of these particular aid groups. The women of the village are already, per tradition, spending their days finding food, water and medical care for the family -- just like the aid groups.

If the US military was in the village looking for soldiers to organize against an oppressor, they might conclude that women were useless.

Many women, worldwide, will have the primary care of raising the children as their job as long as the baby grows inside her body and "bonds," her from before birth. I don't see us ever getting away from this.

In the western world the government has taken over the role of providing the most basic financial support for many of those babies. When parents knew that only the labor of the father would feed the family while the mother and children were most vulnerable, the men were seen as quite "useful," and the women were far more likely to make sure that they had a man legally locked and loaded before giving birth.

Worldwide, I think the men need jobs. I have no idea how to create them.

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
This fascinates me because it echoes what Dorothy Sayers said about the role of women. In the Middle Ages a wife had about the same degree of responsibility as her husband. If she were married to the lord of the castle, she was responsible for arranging and supervising the preparation of food, the making of clothing and everything else involving textiles (starting with the fleece or flax), the making of candles and all other necessary domestic items.

Gradually many of these jobs were removed from the home. Women were still responsible for cooking, but they bought the food they cooked. They still made clothing, but they bought the fabric. There was far less work involved, but also far less responsibility and the satisfaction of meeting responsibility. Work outside the home was more interesting.

What comet said makes me think that men are now experiencing what women did a few centuries ago. I don't blame them for being uncomfortable with the situation.

Moo

That all makes a lot of sense Moo.
Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:

In the western world the government has taken over the role of providing the most basic financial support for many of those babies.

Your government, maybe. Certainly not mine.

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to add another opinion: "What if women don't need guys any longer?"

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I may be speaking out of turn here being a bloke, yet I happen to think most women still retain a deep emotional need to have a man around.

Question is can your average male learn to bend his ego nearly 180 degrees so as to be completely happy living in the shade of a highly successful woman ?

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As long as they think of it as shade, no.

This is a sore spot for me, as it took me a bloody long time to find a man who was comfortable enough in his own skin not to be doing constant comparisons between my grades and his, my achievements and his, my salary and his. And to do it, I had to marry someone a) of a totally different culture and b) twenty years older than I. It was such a relief when I asked him if he had trouble with me making more than he did, and he responded that Vietnamese families considered a high paid wife to be even MORE desirable. [Devil]

Thanks for adding another item to the list of things I need to teach my son!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I earn somewhere between a half and a tenth of what my wife earns, depending on when I get paid.

Meh. It's household income. Why should either of us worry?

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
I earn somewhere between a half and a tenth of what my wife earns, depending on when I get paid.

Meh. It's household income. Why should either of us worry?

Our numbers are somewhat different, but the sentiment is exactly the same.

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
Just to add another opinion: "What if women don't need guys any longer?"

HB - maybe it could be helpful if you could venture an opinion yourself. Why exactly do you find this particular collection of cuttings worthy of consideration together? Do you feel there is some sort of underlying issue that we haven't addressed yet? Do you have an issue with the standard of journalism today? Or what exactly?

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
I may be speaking out of turn here being a bloke, yet I happen to think most women still retain a deep emotional need to have a man around.

Why do I never meet those women? Or if I do why don't they count me as one of the men they want around?

quote:

Question is can your average male learn to bend his ego nearly 180 degrees so as to be completely happy living in the shade of a highly successful woman ? [/QB]

Trivially. Especially if she makes enough money so the bloke doesn't have to work. Have you read Proverbs 31 recently?

--------------------
Ken

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Question is can your average male learn to bend his ego nearly 180 degrees so as to be completely happy living in the shade of a highly successful woman ?

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
As long as they think of it as shade, no.

Quite. For Christians, it should be entirely about being all that we can be as partners with God in extending his kingdom and not at all about how we measure up against our partner (or anyone else). Of course, back in the real world we we all actually live...

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

quote:

Blokes can say whatever they want if they can back it up. How did you determine this? What exactly do you mean by "most women", "deep emotional need", and having a man "around"?
quote:

[Mad] If a man considers his partner's success "shade", he doesn't deserve her/him. OliviaG

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, I'm married to an MD who has always made considerablty more money than me and who is better at her job than I was/am at mine. But we get along, our kids came out alright, etc.

But I see the present generation of males having significant difficulties finding their roles in society. The Wente article I linked to was one of the first times in years that I have actually agreed with the lady - that's why I linked it.

I am dealing with several young males, trying to help them work out what they can do in a society that has gone out of its way to make males feel irrelevant. Boys don't see their fathers doing stuff that the boys can learn about (except for looking at monitors). Too many boys don't have a father at home in the first place, so they get the message that males are expendable.

And the schools demand more sitting looking at monitors and writing about emotional reactions to things, which guys don't do well. And they expect boys, who develop about a year, if not two, later than girls at school-entry age to perform as well as the girls or be classified as uneducable or nuisances. So they give up, even before they hit puberty. Not to mention the case that many schools have no male staff, which doesn't help the role-model thing.

The media try to portray men as bumbling buffoons, drunks or car-crashing crazies.

Third-world countries solve the problem by putting lots of men into armies, which the governments use to oppress their minorities. But this solution is no longer available to Britain and never was for Canada. Both countries have thrown away their manufacturing base, which offered, at least, stable employment.

So what is left for men, outside the privileged few who had the right parents to force them to move ahead? The societies we have created don't really want the rest of them.

Yes, dammit! Too many men have become have become useless in our societies.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016