homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Shot for being suspiciously black (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Shot for being suspiciously black
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OliviaG:
These folks don't need Neighbourhood Watch, they need to be a neighbourhood. OliviaG

[Overused]

[ 23. March 2012, 01:41: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw an interview with one of the authors of Florida's Stand Your Ground Law and he believes that at the very least the way the law is being enforced needs review and quite possibly the law itself needs adjusting as it appeared to him from a few incidents that people were literally getting away with murder.

As to all the protests and petitions and demands for the arrest of Zimmerman I don't believe in policing by popular opinion any more than I believe in shoddy police work. Let the Law officials do their jobs - they are now well aware there is additional evidence and missed evidence in this case, not to mention the Feds are now looking over their shoulders.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl2:

As to all the protests and petitions and demands for the arrest of Zimmerman I don't believe in policing by popular opinion any more than I believe in shoddy police work. Let the Law officials do their jobs - they are now well aware there is additional evidence and missed evidence in this case, not to mention the Feds are now looking over their shoulders.

No one believes in "trial by media". But the reason the missed evidence has come to light and the Feds are looking over their shoulders is precisely because of the press the case has been given. The press and popular opinion did serve a useful role in this case by demanding not a conviction but an investigation. Sadly, much evidence has inevitably already been lost due to the delay in securing the crime scene, interviewing witnesses, etc.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
The entire police department should be locked in stocks outdoors in the rain for 72 hours and forced to watch a continual loop of In the heat of the night...

Dude. Don't become what you hate.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
Florida has a very extensive "stand your ground" law, which basically allows shootings like this if the shooter had "reasonable fears" for their personal safety. The Florida courts have been particularly gratuitous in accepting fears as reasonable, at least in the case of certain complexion of victim. And, of course, the police have a lot of discretion in making such determinations as well, insofar as they're the ones making the call about whether charges are warranted in the first place.

Which just confirms my worst fears that American so-called gun law amounts to "it's fine to shoot anybody anytime as long as you feel like it". Sounds just like Afghanistan. No wonder that like many other outsiders, I don't want to visit either place, since I'm keen to stay alive.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It seems to me that they were well aware of additional evidence before the protests. The only difference is that they've been made to look like a bunch of incompetent, corrupt, racist idiots by a crowd of uppity blacks and liberals.

If they'd have done their jobs in the first place, you'd still have had a shit storm, but the stream of faecal matter would have been directed at the lawmakers, rather than the police.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:

It seems to me that they were well aware of additional evidence before the protests. The only difference is that they've been made to look like a bunch of incompetent, corrupt, racist idiots by a crowd of uppity blacks and liberals.

If they'd have done their jobs in the first place, you'd still have had a shit storm, but the stream of faecal matter would have been directed at the lawmakers, rather than the police.

It is still wrong for the public to have a say in whether a person is arrested - that's how a lot of this crap started. As I stated the Feds are there and I think every i will be dotted and t crossed on this one. It's time for the public to back off a bit. Keep it in the public mind by reminder articles but quit demanding as the crowds I saw on the news tonight that "Zimmerman be arrested and convicted".

I will agree the shit storm stirred up by this affair will force lawmakers to review these "Stand Your Ground" laws to ensure it's spelled out specifically when you do and don't have the right to use lethal force. From what I understand Florida's law is so loosely written it's relatively easy to get away with murder. One of the author's has admitted that, though that obviously wasn't his intention. The law is so vague, police may not be able to arrest gain a conviction. At least the Feds provide a backup with civil rights laws if warranted.

[ 23. March 2012, 09:46: Message edited by: Niteowl2 ]

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I think you're confusing police culture issues with police actions in a particular case. One may well contribute to the other, and both need investigation and addressing, but suspending or sacking entire police departments strikes me as a blunt knee-jerk response that is likely to be counterproductive.

Any police force member who didn't have a problem with racial issues beforehand sure as hell WILL have after you tell them all, universally, how they're all horrible and incompetent.

Honestly, how are these variations on "all police are racists" any different to all the variations of "all blacks are criminals"?

Yes and no. This looks a lot to me like institutional racism. Note that the phrase was coined in connection with a police force (the Met in the Stephen Lawrence inquiry). Does it mean that every single individual working for the Metropolitan or the Stanford police is racist? No, but it does means that the whole structure of the institution from the top down effectively discriminates against black people.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It is still wrong for the public to have a say in whether a person is arrested - that's how a lot of this crap started.

Since policing is essentially (unless you live in a police state) by the consent of the people, it's in everybody's interest including the police's that no one gets a free pass when it comes to obeying the law.

If the public see that their law-enforcing representatives are favouring one sector of the community over another, then they've every right - and in fact a duty - to demand equality before the law.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:

Is there any way that the NRA can make a case that this was a legitimate use of a gun?

I'm not the NRA (not by a *long* shot- they're more than a little off the deep end, if you ask me), but here's a possibility. NOTE: this is a *hypothetical* situation- none of us know all the details on the real situation. That said, I haven't knowingly contradicted any of the publicly available evidence, either.

What if it went down this way:

quote:
A is on phone with 911, following B down the street. B is on his phone with friend. A confronts B, asking "what are you doing around here?". B ignores him. A blocks B's path and again confronts him verbally, more aggressively this time, but does not physically touch him. B, being angry/confused/scared/whatever attacks A. A, fearing he's about to be beaten to death, shoots B with a heretofore concealed weapon.

Under the laws in most U.S. states, this would most likely be considered a legitimate use of the firearm- A did not initiate the physical confrontation, but was defending himself from an unprovoked attack. (Angry words are just words, and force is not authorized to stop them, therefore B's use of force against A is an illegal assault.)

---

quote:

Yes. All the rallies (and why one in New York, anyway?) and calls for Mr. Zimmerman to be locked up without an investigation (to say nothing of the police to be put in the stocks) smell of lynch mob law, to my mind. Let the law have a chance to work before we decide to change it or ignore it entirely- if you do that, you're no better that the alleged perpetrator.

[ 23. March 2012, 13:12: Message edited by: jbohn ]

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jbohn:
All the rallies (and why one in New York, anyway?) and calls for Mr. Zimmerman to be locked up without an investigation (to say nothing of the police to be put in the stocks) smell of lynch mob law, to my mind.

So you're all for vigilante shootings of unarmed people, but have a problem with lynch mobs? Your moral distinctions are a bit too subtle for me to grasp, I'm afraid.

--Tom Clune

[ 23. March 2012, 13:24: Message edited by: tclune ]

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bottom line - this is a core part of the reality for Black people in the USA

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
quote:
All the rallies (and why one in New York, anyway?) and calls for Mr. Zimmerman to be locked up without an investigation (to say nothing of the police to be put in the stocks) smell of lynch mob law, to my mind.

So you're all for vigilante shootings of unarmed people, but have a problem with lynch mobs? Your moral distinctions are a bit too subtle for me to grasp, I'm afraid.

--Tom Clune

Tom, you apparently misunderstand. Let me try to be clearer.

I support the rule of law. Period.

IF the incident happened as Mr. Zimmerman claims, and he was physically attacked by the unarmed Mr. Martin, and IF he was, indeed, in reasonable fear for his life, I would say he's probably OK here. I understand there are those who think that it is never OK to defend oneself, but I think they're nuts.

IF he's lying, and he shot an unarmed kid on the way back from the store- lock him up and throw away the key. The world has no place for racists and murderers, and if that's what actually happened here, he deserves whatever punishment FL law can hand out.

NEITHER of those outcomes can be ascertained by rallies thousands of miles away, or by the knee-jerk liberal response of "Guns bad! Racist police! Deep South! OMG!" that I'm seeing on this thread. It's just not useful, or helpful, to anyone- not Mr. Zimmerman, not the family of young Mr. Martin, not anyone. And they could all use prayers and compassion right about now- there are no winners in a gunfight, only degrees of losing.

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
A is on phone with 911, following B down the street. B is on his phone with friend. A confronts B, asking "what are you doing around here?". B ignores him. A blocks B's path and again confronts him verbally, more aggressively this time, but does not physically touch him. B, being angry/confused/scared/whatever attacks A. A, fearing he's about to be beaten to death, shoots B with a heretofore concealed weapon.

That would contradict what is publicly known of the testimony offered by B's friend. Do you have any reason to consider the alleged perpetrator's contradictory account more credible? (It should be noted that the bit about "A confronts B" also contradicts what we know about A's testmony.)

quote:
Let the law have a chance to work before we decide to change it or ignore it entirely- if you do that, you're no better that the alleged perpetrator.

First off, the problem here is that the law is "working". It's been cited by the Sanford police as the reason they felt unable to continue investigating a "he said, he's dead" homicide. Your claim to want to "see how it actually plays out in court" ignores the rather obvious point that, prior to the current public outcry, there didn't seem to be any chance of Zimmerman seeing the inside of a courtroom in this month-old case. And we already have some pretty clear examples of how this law works in court:

quote:
As critics assail Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” law in the wake of the killing of an unarmed Miami Gardens teen in Sanford, a Miami-Dade judge on Wednesday cited the law in tossing out the case of a man who chased down a suspected burglar and stabbed him to death.

Greyston Garcia was charged with second-degree murder in the slaying of Pedro Roteta, 26, whom he chased for more than a block before stabbing the man.

Given what seems to be the common application of this law in Florida, isn't this exactly the kind of situation the American consitutional system intended to be handled by the legislature, clarifying or revising the interpretation of the law as practiced by the executive and judicial authorities?

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan Strange
Shipmate
# 11001

- Posted      Profile for Jonathan Strange   Email Jonathan Strange   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

But it didn't. A 140lb black 17-year-old male is on his way home from a shop with skittles and a can of ice tea in his pocket. A 200lb 28-year-old male follows him, calls 911 on him, intimidates him and creates an altercation in which the 17-year-old is scared enough to call for help. The older male shoots the younger male in the chest and kills him.

That's what happened. There's no need to hypothesise.

--------------------
"Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight,
At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more,
When he bears his teeth, winter meets its death,
When he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again"

Posts: 1327 | From: Wessex | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan Strange
Shipmate
# 11001

- Posted      Profile for Jonathan Strange   Email Jonathan Strange   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
in a gunfight

I was not aware that Trayvon Martin was also armed.

This wasn't a gunfight; it was racially-motivated vigilante murder.

--------------------

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Strange:
quote:

But it didn't. A 140lb black 17-year-old male is on his way home from a shop with skittles and a can of ice tea in his pocket. A 200lb 28-year-old male follows him, calls 911 on him, intimidates him and creates an altercation in which the 17-year-old is scared enough to call for help. The older male shoots the younger male in the chest and kills him.

That's what happened. There's no need to hypothesise.

it's still being debated about who actually called for help, so voice forensics will have to be used to sort that out, Neighbors and friends are coming out to defend Zimmermen who is a spanish speaking minority with black family members. And no one can agree a slur was used on the 911 call. Zimmerman's story stinks, but I don't like mob action, That's why I say this needs honest police work, not a mob set up. I believe the Feds will see that anything that needs to be done will be done.

Hopefully Florida will tighten up it's gun laws

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Strange:
quote:
in a gunfight

I was not aware that Trayvon Martin was also armed.

This wasn't a gunfight; it was racially-motivated vigilante murder.

It reminds me of some weaseling done by Caspar Weinberger during the Reagan administration, testifying before some Congressional subcommittee on the murder of a busload of nuns by some American-armed militants in Central America. He characterized the event as "an exchange of fire", prompting one of the Congressmen to ask him if the nuns were also armed.

--------------------

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

IF the incident happened as Mr. Zimmerman claims, and he was physically attacked by the unarmed Mr. Martin, and IF he was, indeed, in reasonable fear for his life, I would say he's probably OK here. I understand there are those who think that it is never OK to defend oneself, but I think they're nuts.

Supporting the rule of law should depend on what the law says, ISTM. In my state, anyone who stalked another individual and then ended up shooting him, whether that individual was armed or not, would be in serious trouble. The notion that you can pursue another person (after having been told not to do so by the 911 dipatcher) and then claim self-defense for shooting them is so far beyond the pale of "self defense" that it is genuinely shocking that this man was not even arrested after the shooting. It sure seems that the only person who would have had any claim to self-defense was the victim.

--Tom Clune

--------------------

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And jbohn, what do you mean by "and why [a rally] in New York"?

If you think this was just a local incident without national significance, with all due respect, you are utterly divorced from reality. Not only must there be a national outcry, but US citizens of European ancestry have an especial responsibility to speak out against this cancer that has been at the heart of the US from the beginning.

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan Strange
Shipmate
# 11001

quote:
And no one can agree a slur was used on the 911 call.

There is definitely a slur - the debate is whether it is racist or not. Either he says "fucking coons" or "fucking punks". I've heard the unedited recording and to me it sounds like the former.

--------------------

New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Guests in our country murdered in cold blood. Where's the outrage about this?
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:

Did you read the story, New Yorker? The killer is on trial for murder.

--Tom Clune

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:

I suspect the main difference can be found in the caption of the first picture.

quote:
Accused: Shawn Tyson is on trial for the murders of British tourists James Cooper and James Kouzaris

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

There was plenty of outrage over here. Less so in the US where this sort of thing happens all the time, I guess.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

quote:
quote:

Supporting the rule of law should depend on what the law says, ISTM. In my state, anyone who stalked another individual and then ended up shooting him, whether that individual was armed or not, would be in serious trouble. The notion that you can pursue another person (after having been told not to do so by the 911 dipatcher) and then claim self-defense for shooting them is so far beyond the pale of "self defense" that it is genuinely shocking that this man was not even arrested after the shooting. It sure seems that the only person who would have had any claim to self-defense was the victim.

--Tom Clune

Here, if I understand our laws correctly, defense applies to the physical confrontation; the "stalking" or verbal confrontation is a separate matter. That said, it's an area that's not been extensively tested. As far as FL law, I don't claim to know the ins and outs of how it applies there. This is one of those cases where a great deal depends on what state you happen to live in. In Illinois, they'd have run him in for the loaded gun- the shooting would be a separate charge, if it came to that.

quote:
Originally posted by malik3000:
And jbohn, what do you mean by "and why [a rally] in New York"?

If you think this was just a local incident without national significance, with all due respect, you are utterly divorced from reality. Not only must there be a national outcry, but US citizens of European ancestry have an especial responsibility to speak out against this cancer that has been at the heart of the US from the beginning.

Why does it have any more significance that any other shooting? I just read a police report on the neighborhood I work in- a teenager was shot and killed there. I don't know that it even made the local news, let alone national. What makes this story different? Oh, wait- we can shout "racism", and it's an election year.

Speaking as a "US citizen of European ancestry", I speak out against racism all the time. Part of my life, really- I work in inner-city schools, in one of the most diverse cities in the US. I don't, however, generally jump to labeling people racists without some semblance of evidence.

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:

It is still wrong for the public to have a say in whether a person is arrested - that's how a lot of this crap started. As I stated the Feds are there and I think every i will be dotted and t crossed on this one. It's time for the public to back off a bit. Keep it in the public mind by reminder articles but quit demanding as the crowds I saw on the news tonight that "Zimmerman be arrested and convicted".

Nuance is difficult to obtain in such inflammatory matters as this, when people's lives are at stake and a young boy is dead. But the cooler heads have called not for conviction, but for investigation. That's appropriate.

To suggest the public has no role in this is to ignore the history of the civil rights movement in the US, when such public outcry was essential to reversing generations-long patterns of racially biased policing. I'm not saying that's happened here-- although it sure looks suspicious. I'm saying the public has a role to play in finding out if that's what's going on.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
The entire police department should be locked in stocks outdoors in the rain for 72 hours and forced to watch a continual loop of In the heat of the night while passers-by throw shit in their faces. And then sacked without compensation.

Yeah, because obviously the ENTIRE police department was in on it, right? Especially the low ranked guys who weren't on shift at the time.
While I definitely believe in the concept of innocent until proven guilty, in all too many of these small-city and town police departments this sort of activity is representative of the culture that permeates the whole police dept.

That is why i said in my earlier post that in such towns African-Americans (and other non-"whites") don't have a police dept. if police dept. is defined as a public safety service.

What i would do in such a case is to suspend the entire dept. and bring in another more law-abiding agency to manage public safety functions. Then after appropriate investigation of the suspended police dept., if there were actually decent individuals found, they could become part of a new or reformed police dept. The others should not be allowed to ever again be a police officer.

We haven't been to Florida in a few years but is there any way part of the settlement could be that my wife spanks me about once a week?

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:

NEITHER of those outcomes can be ascertained by rallies thousands of miles away, or by the knee-jerk liberal response of "Guns bad! Racist police! Deep South! OMG!" that I'm seeing on this thread. It's just not useful, or helpful, to anyone- not Mr. Zimmerman, not the family of young Mr. Martin, not anyone. And they could all use prayers and compassion right about now- there are no winners in a gunfight, only degrees of losing.

Looks to me like you posted to the wrong thread, since I see NO calls for "Guns bad! Racist police! Deep South! OMG!".

otoh, our history here in the US is such that "rallies thousands of miles away" have, in fact, been quite helpful in bringing justice to these sorts of situations.

Again, we are calling for investigation, not conviction. Just as we did 50 years ago.

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... Zimmerman's story stinks, but I don't like mob action, That's why I say this needs honest police work, not a mob set up. I believe the Feds will see that anything that needs to be done will be done.

Once more with feeling: if it hadn't been for the "mob action", there wouldn't have been ANY police work, honest or otherwise. And Zimmerman, being still alive, has already had far more benefit of the doubt than he gave Trayvon Martin. OliviaG
Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Filming an amateur rap video. Where's the outrage over this?
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Filming an amateur rap video. Where's the outrage over this?

Once again, from the cited article:

quote:
The officers who were on the scene grabbed potential suspects.

Action News had the only camera on the scene as several young men were handcuffed and shown to witnesses before being loaded into a police van and patrol cars.

Detectives say they found guns on three of the men and one was identified as the killer.

For whatever reason you seem unable to grasp the idea that the biggest outrage in the Trayvon Martin case is the way the local authorities essentially shrugged their shoulders and said "eh, whatevs".

--------------------

New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

quote:
For whatever reason you seem unable to grasp the idea that the biggest outrage in the Trayvon Martin case is the way the local authorities essentially shrugged their shoulders and said "eh, whatevs".

Huh? The police chief has stepped aside. The governor has appointed a special prosecutor and, heaven help us, even Al Sharpton is involved.

[ 23. March 2012, 15:07: Message edited by: New Yorker ]

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:

Huh? The police chief has stepped aside. The governor has appointed a special prosecutor and, heaven help us, even Al Sharpton is involved.
And you take all this as evidence of what a terrific job that police chief has been doing? How does that work exactly?

[ 23. March 2012, 15:11: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And, as has been said many times already, the basic call from all these "outsiders" is for there to be a visible due process of law. Zimmerman may indeed be innocent of murder or assault, but we cannot have anything BUT "mob calls" if the police refuse to do their job, which is to initiate the process known as a trial.

Trials are to establish, to the best fo everyone's ability, what actually happened. That trials have also become media circuses is unfortunate and unhelpful.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
... Zimmerman's story stinks, but I don't like mob action, That's why I say this needs honest police work, not a mob set up. I believe the Feds will see that anything that needs to be done will be done.

Once more with feeling: if it hadn't been for the "mob action", there wouldn't have been ANY police work, honest or otherwise. And Zimmerman, being still alive, has already had far more benefit of the doubt than he gave Trayvon Martin. OliviaG
Let me be clear (and this isn't meant to be disagreeing with OliviaG, quite the reverse).

Zimmerman needs locking up unless the whole thing is a fabrication from the ground up. It's bad, and nothing is going to bring Trayvon Martin back. But the specific shooting is not the cause of the outrage.

The outrage is about the almost indefensible behaviour of the police. The laws are worth nothing if the people enforcing them don't.

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:
quote:

And you take all this as evidence of what a terrific job that police chief has been doing? How does that work exactly?
Exactly. The police chief failed in his job to protect the citizens by insuring there was an investigation. The reason the police chief has stepped aside and a special prosecutor has been appointed is a direct result of the public outcry.

Again, we have a long history of the direct relationship between "public outcry" and the positive outcome of bringing light and justice to unjust systems-- both in the US and elsewhere. We have had negative outcomes as well, of course-- a rush to judgment where innocents got trampled. But, while people will always speculate and rush ahead of the evidence, I see nothing here that looks like a rush to judgment. Rather, we see the positive outcome of a bringing about an investigation in a matter where an investigation is clearly called for.

--------------------

jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
Looks to me like you posted to the wrong thread, since I see NO calls for "Guns bad! Racist police! Deep South! OMG!".

Let me help you:

Racism (and implied Deep South):

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Hold on, I believe the incident is considered fine as long as a white person kills a black person. Think we might see a difference of opinion should the colours be reversed.

quote:
The entire police department should be locked in stocks outdoors in the rain for 72 hours and forced to watch a continual loop of In the heat of the night while passers-by throw shit in their faces. And then sacked without compensation.

quote:
That is why i said in my earlier post that in such towns African-Americans (and other non-"whites") don't have a police dept. if police dept. is defined as a public safety service.

Guns:

quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
Is there any way that the NRA can make a case that this was a legitimate use of a gun?

(what does the NRA have to do with it?)

I'll admit- I didn't find OMG! [Biased]

--------------

quote:
otoh, our history here in the US is such that "rallies thousands of miles away" have, in fact, been quite helpful in bringing justice to these sorts of situations.

Perhaps- if we concede that the issue is anything more than a tempest in a teacup, stirred up for political point-grabbing. Don't get me wrong- this is a tragedy. But it's no more tragic than any number of similar stories, none of which make the national news. So why this one? I'm a bit cynical. Sounds like a local law-enforcement issue to me.

quote:
Again, we are calling for investigation, not conviction. Just as we did 50 years ago.

*You* might be, and I'd guess you are- my impression of you is that you're pretty deliberative and fair-minded, based on our interactions on the Ship. Others? No- they're calling for his arrest, conviction, and incarceration; that's where I believe they're going off the deep end. Give the legal system time to do its work, then start worrying about what it didn't do.

----------

quote:
ItThese folks don't need Neighbourhood Watch, they need to be a neighbourhood.

I missed this earlier. [Overused]

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
Give the legal system time to do its work, then start worrying about what it didn't do.

Mission accomplished. This killing happened a month ago: the police chose to not investigate, and had closed the case. It was only then that the protests began. You must be very happy with their restraint -- or were you just blowing smoke?

--Tom Clune

[ 23. March 2012, 16:48: Message edited by: tclune ]

--------------------

New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

quote:
This killing happened a month ago: the police chose to not investigate, and had closed the case.

Is this correct? I believe that the police investigated and found no reason to charge Mr. Zimmerman.
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

quote:
quote:
Give the legal system time to do its work, then start worrying about what it didn't do.

Mission accomplished. This killing happened a month ago: the police chose to not investigate, and had closed the case. It was only then that the protests began. You must be very happy with their restraint -- or were you just blowing smoke?

--Tom Clune

I'm satisfied that the police, if they didn't feel they had evidence to charge Mr. Zimmerman with a crime, didn't arrest him- that's how the law is supposed to work. If there's evidence they didn't have, or didn't use, then further investigation may be called for.

With that, folks complained to their elected officials, and they're taking a second look at the case. Perfect. Again, that's how the system is supposed to work.

My issue isn't with them- it's with the media-manufactured frenzy and cries of racism and bigotry without hard evidence. It rings hollow, to me, when the same thing happens in other places and times, and it's not a national story.

As I said in the beginning, the evidence that we, the public, have seems to point to Mr. Zimmerman as the "bad guy". That said, we don't have all the evidence. I just wish folks weren't quite so quick to jump into default "the law is wrong" "he's guilty" mode before the system has time to work it out.

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My issue isn't with them- it's with the media-manufactured frenzy and cries of racism and bigotry without hard evidence.

They didn't test Zimmerman for either drink or drugs - though they did the same to the dead body. They didn't make any attempt to work out why his statements to the police and the account he gave to the dispatcher varied. They also didn't make any attempt to trace the victim (such as dialling any of the numbers on his phone), he was in a morgue for three days until they figured he was the boy his father had reported missing.
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:

With that, folks complained to their elected officials, and they're taking a second look at the case. Perfect. Again, that's how the system is supposed to work.

My issue isn't with them- it's with the media-manufactured frenzy and cries of racism and bigotry without hard evidence. It rings hollow, to me, when the same thing happens in other places and times, and it's not a national story.

Without the " media-manufactured frenzy" the "folks" you're referring to wouldn't have known about the case in order to complain. The "media-manufactured frenzy" is precisely why we're having a second look. Which, as you said, is " how the system is supposed to work."

People will speculate, and some of that speculation crosses a line. I'm not hearing a lot of that here, but yes, there is some. So, yes, call people on that when you hear it. But going to the opposite extreme and denouncing the public outcry is circumventing the very system you are supposedly supporting.

aside: Having listened to the tape, I'm not sure if this is about potential racism or potential agism ("young punks") but I don't really care, either is offensive.

--------------------

jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
quote:
My issue isn't with them- it's with the media-manufactured frenzy and cries of racism and bigotry without hard evidence.

They didn't test Zimmerman for either drink or drugs - though they did the same to the dead body. They didn't make any attempt to work out why his statements to the police and the account he gave to the dispatcher varied. They also didn't make any attempt to trace the victim (such as dialling any of the numbers on his phone), he was in a morgue for three days until they figured he was the boy his father had reported missing.
I haven't seen any of this evidence- if true, it is certainly concerning and certainly changes things. It definitely brings into question the conduct of the police.

quote:
Without the " media-manufactured frenzy" the "folks" you're referring to wouldn't have known about the case in order to complain. The "media-manufactured frenzy" is precisely why we're having a second look. Which, as you said, is " how the system is supposed to work."

The family would have known. The neighbors would have known. Locals (assuming it made the *local* news) would have known. I'll grant you that Al Sharpton probably wouldn't have known- not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

quote:
aside: Having listened to the tape, I'm not sure if this is about potential racism or potential agism ("young punks") but I don't really care, either is offensive.

Indeed.

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
quote:

I haven't seen any of this evidence- if true, it is certainly concerning and certainly changes things. It definitely brings into question the conduct of the police.
How do you have an opinion about this case without having come across these fairly well known and, as far as I know, uncontested facts?

--------------------

jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

quote:
How do you have an opinion about this case without having come across these fairly well known and, as far as I know, uncontested facts?

In, I suspect, the same way as you have this opinion without knowing whether FL law requires someone to be a reluctant participant in the altercation (most states do):

quote:
Let's be honest. In practical terms, the law as it exists on the ground does "give them the right to kill if they believe they are in danger", even if they're deliberately provoking that danger. That's one of the things clearly illustrated by this case.

I simply hadn't seen those pieces of evidence presented. I don't claim to know all, or see all.

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
In, I suspect, the same way as you have this opinion without knowing whether FL law requires someone to be a reluctant participant in the altercation (most states do):

quote:
Let's be honest. In practical terms, the law as it exists on the ground does "give them the right to kill if they believe they are in danger", even if they're deliberately provoking that danger. That's one of the things clearly illustrated by this case.

Umm, I also cited a pretty clear example illustrating that on an "as applied" basis, Florida's law does not require reluctance to claim self defense.

--------------------

ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

This happened ONLY AFTER the public outcry.

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

quote:
Umm, I also cited a pretty clear example illustrating that on an "as applied" basis, Florida's law does not require reluctance to claim self defense. [/QB]

I might point out that case isn't settled, either- the DA is appealing the verdict, and it will likely be some time before it works its way through the courts. (FWIW, I agree with the DA- this seems to be a perversion of the "self-defense" justification; if you can chase him down, you could be avoiding the fight instead. The law was meant to remove the duty to run away from an attacker -as in many cases, that isn't practical or safe- not to allow chasing someone down and attacking them.)

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:
Umm, I also cited a pretty clear example illustrating that on an "as applied" basis, Florida's law does not require reluctance to claim self defense.

I might point out that case isn't settled, either- the DA is appealing the verdict, and it will likely be some time before it works its way through the courts. (FWIW, I agree with the DA- this seems to be a perversion of the "self-defense" justification; if you can chase him down, you could be avoiding the fight instead. The law was meant to remove the duty to run away from an attacker -as in many cases, that isn't practical or safe- not to allow chasing someone down and attacking them.)
There seems to be a growing pile of evidence that your personal interpretation of what the Florida legislature "meant" is not the one favored by that state's executive or judicial authorities. Which brings me back to my earlier, still unanswered question. Isn't what you contend is going on here (executive and judicial officials misconstruing the intent of the legislature), exactly the kind of problem the American constitutional system intends to be handled with a legislative solution (i.e. the legislature revising or clarifying its position)?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016