homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Spring Harvest 2012 (and similar things) (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Spring Harvest 2012 (and similar things)
greenhouse
Shipmate
# 4027

- Posted      Profile for greenhouse   Email greenhouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
My guess would be, Greenhouse, that SH attracts the more conservatively inclined and that these would be the ones concocting the particular doctrinal statements presented to the LEP. It would not necessarily represent the views of the SH committee nor all those who attend the event itself - but I think it's fair to say that SH isn't going to attract dyed-in-the-wool liberals by and large ...

That's quite possible, but in that case it seems rather odd to comment on "the entirely negative aspects of SH". After all, one might as well comment on the entirely negative aspects of the Red Lion pub, Starbucks, or anywhere else they got together to discuss things.
Posts: 94 | From: North West | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What does 'grown up' mean in your terms, Jude?

'Coming of age' in the Bonhoeffer sense?

Now I'm confused. I'd have thought anyone who went to SH would be going around saying that you can't get to heaven unless you believe in Jesus. That's one of the things that makes evangelicalism evangelicalism.

I'm not sure that SH is any less evangelical than it used to be. They may have added a few more bells-and-whistles and 'alternative' slots but I'd have thought the central ethos of it was pretty much mainstream evangelicalism. It used to occupy the middle-ground of UK evangelicalism at one stage - ie. not as charismatic as the restorationist Bible Weeks but more charismatic than many of the churches the regulars attended when not at SH or similar conferences ...

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, Shamwari would have to answer for his comment on the 'entirely negative aspects of SH.'

I suspect Shamwari considers evangelicalism per se as 'entirely negative' so this is going to be his default position. But he can speak for himself.

Me? I don't think that SH or similar conventions are 'entirely negative' at all - any more than any other gathering is 'entirely negative.' Conversely, I don't think it's 'entirely positive' either. It'd be a mixed blessing ... good in parts ... like anything else.

The same would apply to a monastic retreat, an Anglo-Catholic convention or the annual conference for Left-Handed Dutch Philatelists.

It all depends on your perspective.

I know someone who went on a retreat to Mt Athos and came back glowing and declaring the place to be heaven on earth ...

I know of someone else who did the same but came back saying that the place was full of shaven-headed Serbian xenophobes and vicious monks.

Both would equally be true, I suspect. Both aspects are going on there at one and the same time.

It'd be similar for SH and other conventions. There'll be some crap there and there'll be some good stuff there. Both under the same Big Top or roof - and all at one and the same time.

It's called Life. Let's get over it. Life's like that.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jude:
I've been to Spring Harvest a few times and really enjoyed it. However, I have only been in the past few years and probably wouldn't have liked it if I had gone in the old evangelical days. I like being able to go to different groups after the Bible study in the morning. I like the variety of seminars. I love going to the Alternative Worship, because the Big Top is not my thing. The Butlin's facilities and the beach are a great bonus. I like to go to the Sun And Moon and hear the gossip there.

In other words, I love Spring Harvest. But although the young kids' stuff seems like fun and the adults have loads of different ways to discover about God, I'm not too sure about the youth program, which is where mine will be next year. I don't think that the evangelical message is quite right. They've come back to their home church saying that you won't get to heaven unless you believe in Jesus (?!)

Because of this, I don't want to go to Spring Harvest for a few years, until they've grown up, which could mean that I miss out on some excellent lectures. i.e. Rob Parsons.

I'm confused ...

Maybe it's time for your children to learn that Christians don't always agree. Furthermore, this could be an opportunity for them to stand up for their beliefs. I once heard an Anglican vicar say that talking about religion with someone who holds different beliefs can be a very good way of clarifying what you yourself believe. Children need to learn how to be discerning and thoughtful, and the only way they'll do that is if they meet people who believe different things.

If your church has more inclusive teachings about who goes to heaven, then why should your children come back from their trip believing something very different? Why would they accept the beliefs of strangers but not the beliefs of their own preachers? One problem, I think, is that more liberal churches tend not to discuss these issues very much, leaving their congregations susceptible to the arguments used by more conservative Christians. The answer isn't to keep liberal churchgoers (young or old) away from conservative ones, but to help all congregations to think more deeply about what they actually believe.

Those are my thoughts, anyway.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
greenhouse
Shipmate
# 4027

- Posted      Profile for greenhouse   Email greenhouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Now I'm confused. I'd have thought anyone who went to SH would be going around saying that you can't get to heaven unless you believe in Jesus. That's one of the things that makes evangelicalism evangelicalism.

I'm not sure that SH is any less evangelical than it used to be. They may have added a few more bells-and-whistles and 'alternative' slots but I'd have thought the central ethos of it was pretty much mainstream evangelicalism. It used to occupy the middle-ground of UK evangelicalism at one stage - ie. not as charismatic as the restorationist Bible Weeks but more charismatic than many of the churches the regulars attended when not at SH or similar conferences ...

I agree. SH falls firmly into what now seems to be called Open Evangelicalism. Definitely evangelical but happy to accept that we don't know all the answers, may and do get it wrong, and other traditions have plenty to teach us.

In terms of charismatic emphasis SH falls somewhere between Keswick (which I understand to be strongly conservative, possibly cessationist) and New Wine (heavily charistmatic). Spring Harvest is 'lightly charismatic'; there is an evening session on 'receiving from the Holy Spirit' and this year one of the evening Big Top talks was on the Holy Spirit, but beyond that you'd really have to go looking for anything strongly charismatic. There are certainly none of the wackier excesses of the charismatic movement in evidence.

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't find NWine very charismatic - we normally sing in English not all sorts of different languages nowadays, although in the past we sang in whatever "charismatic" Spirit we all had.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Masha
Shipmate
# 10098

- Posted      Profile for Masha   Email Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's interesting daisymay, because I've been a few times over the last few years and I found it quite 'deep end' charismatic.

Clearly this is a case where mileage varies! I went with my open evo parish church. For several years before that I was part of a very conservative and 'charismatic' group (despite being neither - I was popular, as you can imagine).

For what it's worth though I'm not from that end of the church so it may be that it just looks 'different' to me.

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would be surprised if the default position of SH was terribly 'open'; maybe some of the 'fringe' meetings perhaps but the guys who go from our gaffe haven't come back complaining that it's gone all liberal (as they would see it [Biased] ) in the last few years... [Confused]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
greenhouse
Shipmate
# 4027

For want of a better source, to quote Wikipedia: Open Evangelical refers to a particular Christian school of thought or Churchmanship, primarily in the United Kingdom (especially in the Church of England). Open evangelicals describe their position as combining a traditional evangelical emphasis on the nature of scriptural authority, the teaching of the ecumenical creeds and other traditional doctrinal teachings, with an approach towards culture and other theological points of view which tends to be more inclusive than that taken by other evangelicals. Some open evangelicals aim to take a middle position between conservative and charismatic evangelicals, while others would combine conservative theological emphases with more liberal social positions.

From what I've seen, this sums up the position of Spring Harvest in recent years pretty well.

This year Les Isaacs (of Street Pastors) spoke in the Big Top on working together among churches of all traditions. He spoke on social action being more important than our doctrinal differences. He reflected on what Pentecostals can learn from High Anglicans, and vice-versa. He said how he'd received post criticising him for working with Catholics.

Last year I heard Andrew Marin speaking one morning; he returned for some weeks this year. The previous year (I think) a series on extending the conversation discussed big issues in the church, one of the series considered homosexuality, and homosexual Christians attending Spring Harvest (and yes, there were some) were invited to speak and put their views across.

There will be other examples, these are just a few off the top of my head.

I don't dispute that SH is an evangelical conference, it doesn't claim to be anything else. But I do feel it's prepared to acknowledge that evangelicals may be wrong on some issues, and that the wider church has much to teach us.

[ 24. April 2012, 10:24: Message edited by: greenhouse ]

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have only just managed to catch up with comments on my comment about the negative aspects of SH.

I did not mean to say that SH was entirely negative. But that it has/had negative aspects and I had experienced these.

Where the A4 sheet of paper originated at SH I know not. But the group returned claiming that they had been 'encouraged' to require of their ministers that they sign up to a doctrinal position.

That one of the ministers in the LEP agreed with them caused the problem.

Anyway, water under the bridge now and from what I read above SH seems to be less doctrinairre.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
I would be surprised if the default position of SH was terribly 'open';

I think it's open in the sense of being 'Open Evangelical'. Basically their position being 'Fulcrum' with a dash of the charismatic thrown in.
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:
Originally posted by Jude:
I've been to Spring Harvest a few times and really enjoyed it. However, I have only been in the past few years and probably wouldn't have liked it if I had gone in the old evangelical days. I like being able to go to different groups after the Bible study in the morning. I like the variety of seminars. I love going to the Alternative Worship, because the Big Top is not my thing. The Butlin's facilities and the beach are a great bonus. I like to go to the Sun And Moon and hear the gossip there.

In other words, I love Spring Harvest. But although the young kids' stuff seems like fun and the adults have loads of different ways to discover about God, I'm not too sure about the youth program, which is where mine will be next year. I don't think that the evangelical message is quite right. They've come back to their home church saying that you won't get to heaven unless you believe in Jesus (?!)

Because of this, I don't want to go to Spring Harvest for a few years, until they've grown up, which could mean that I miss out on some excellent lectures. i.e. Rob Parsons.

I'm confused ...

Maybe it's time for your children to learn that Christians don't always agree. Furthermore, this could be an opportunity for them to stand up for their beliefs. I once heard an Anglican vicar say that talking about religion with someone who holds different beliefs can be a very good way of clarifying what you yourself believe. Children need to learn how to be discerning and thoughtful, and the only way they'll do that is if they meet people who believe different things.

If your church has more inclusive teachings about who goes to heaven, then why should your children come back from their trip believing something very different? Why would they accept the beliefs of strangers but not the beliefs of their own preachers? One problem, I think, is that more liberal churches tend not to discuss these issues very much, leaving their congregations susceptible to the arguments used by more conservative Christians. The answer isn't to keep liberal churchgoers (young or old) away from conservative ones, but to help all congregations to think more deeply about what they actually believe.

Those are my thoughts, anyway.

I’d agree with this. Things like SH are great for everyone if they want teaching on topics and issues that simply can’t be covered in most churches on a Sunday. And from the calibre of people who wouldn’t rock up at most churches. They’re also a good opportunity to learn new songs – even if all you learn is that you never want to sing that again! – and find new resources.

For children / young people, they’re a great way to discover, as someone else said, they’re not the only Christian in the village! That’s really important. It’s easy to assume that it’s just you and that church is some evil parental plot.

Unless you’re monitoring your children’s reading, viewing 24-7 and home educating them, you’re not going to be able to protect them from ideas that you don’t agree with. Strikes me as better to give them the tools to engage with them and make their own mind up.

If you accept the idea that we should be able to give a reason for the hope we have, then knowing how to discuss and argue faith / beliefs with others without channelling Stephen Green is an invaluable lesson. Part of that is learning that Christians don’t always agree about things. That the definition of a Christian is wider than someone who believes the same things as me … And that you can disagree with one another and still both be Christian. (Maybe if some grown-ups learnt that, the church might not get itself in such a lather about secondary issues and have more time to deal with the primary ones. But I digress … [Biased] )

OTH, the teaching that you don’t go to heaven unless you believe in Jesus is pretty mainstream. And at SH, it’s what they told you in all the meetings when I went. [Confused]

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Confessing that I haven't been to any of the festivals for some twelve years or so now......but... when i did used to go, it was mainly because they gave ME a chance to sit and listen to somethinganything without having child care responsibilities.
Either my own....or sunday school.

I do very clearly remember sitting one year and not being able to recal the last time I had attended worship without having to consider a baby or a toddler...or a host of rampaging children. And being very thankful that the festival in question was on and that my work collegue had invited us.

For me (and I can't comment on anyone else) I have never desired my own church to be like a festival and I have never experienced some massive let down on returning to my own shack afterwards.

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

@Tubbs, it might be pretty mainstream evangelical to believe that you HAVE to believe in Jesus to go to heaven, but it certainly ain't mainstream across the rest of Christendom where more universalist views are at least entertained, if not openly promulgated.

Then again, I know quite a few evangelicals who would consider the possibility of a 'wider hope' based on Romans 2 but without going the full hog and becoming out-and-out universalists. That's probably my own default position, come to think of it.

@Daisymay - so 'singing in tongues' is the measure of what it means to be charismatic?

I suppose it was, back in the day. As to whether the people engaging in it were singing 'different languages' or simply improvising and harmonising scat-like around a central theme, I'll leave others to decide. My wife's quite musical and she long since came to the conclusion that this is what they were doing - and it's an effect that is very easy to create.

Glossolalia is one thing ... but whether we're genuinely dealing with xenoglossy here - the ability to speak or sing in unlearned languages is a moot point. There have been no scientifically proven instances so far.

That's not to say it couldn't happen ... but I'm rather sceptical of the whole 'tongues' then these days, but hey ... don't let me stop you ...

As for the charismatic-ness of New Wine ... I wonder if it varies from place to place? From what I've heard from people who've attended it sounds fairly full-on to me ... 'prayer tunnels' and that Bethel influenced 'treasure-hunting' malarkey.

That's one reason why you won't find me signing up for a New Wine conference any time soon. I've been through all that revivalist stuff and I've come out the other side ...

--------------------

Carrie
Apprentice
# 3360

- Posted      Profile for Carrie         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi. Having ploughed through this long and fascinating thread, I guess no one has yet come across "Celebrate", the annual Christian conference organised by Catholic Charismatic Renewal.
I went with my family for the first time this year and loved every minute of it and the children are insisting I book up again, next year.
I went to Spring Harvest once, around 1994/5 (with the newspaper streams!). I enjoyed the teaching and worship, but quite honestly found it just a bit too big. And I really missed the sacramental side of things; it helped me begin to understand and value sacraments I grew up with and took for granted - for which I remain grateful to this day!
Celebrate gathers about 1,500 people - mostly but not only RCs; around half are youngsters. I wanted my children to meet other young Christians, see they are not alone and experience true Christian friendship - which they did. The size of the conference, at 1,500, felt substantial but not overwhelming and it was easier to get to know people than I found at SH.
There was Mass every day, an Anglican Communion one day, and lots of other things you see at SH, like radio for those unable to make it to the big hall, a marketplace, seminars... Teaching was Scripture-based, on the theme of the "Highway of Holiness" and its purpose was to inspire us and equip us to live out our normal lives as brighter beacons of Christ's light and love for the world around us.
So getting back to one of the original questions that kicked this thread off, the answer is YES, there is a "Roman Catholic/Anglocathlic and liberal equivalents... "!
Anyone interested, see http://www.celebrateconference.org/. If you're not sure about taking the plunge into a full week at Easter, there are weekends, too.

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

That's interesting, Carrie.

Despite the ecumenical tendencies at the beginning of the charismatic renewal within the Protestant denominations, the RC side of things has become largely invisible to the rest of us ...

I'm aware that RCs are 'occasional consumers' (as the sociologist Andrew Walker put it) at Protestant charismatic evangelical gatherings and conferences, but wasn't aware of much traffic in the other direction - interesting to hear that they have an Anglican communion at Celebrate.

I've not really come across the charismatic renewal in the RC church during my 30+ years knocking about in evangelical/charismatic circles - other than the occasional individual.

It's true that some former evangelical charismatics and post-evangelicals head further 'up the candle' and in a more sacramental direction - but I wouldn't say there was a big trend that way. Although I would say that there has been a 'trickling down' of sacramental-lite emphases into some charismatic circles.

If I were a hyper-Reformed cessationist, of course, I'd be seeing all of this as some kind of nefarious Romish plot ...

--------------------

pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lots of speculation on this thread about what SH thinks it is. Let me help (or not!)

In the programme for this year's event, we defined ourselves by 4 values:
• We want to be authentic Christians – to be those who “get real” within the Church – rooted in a generous orthodoxy, confident in Jesus Christ as the source of who we are
• We want to be thinking Christians – there’s no sense in which the Bible encourages us to teach and live an unintelligent faith
• We want to be missional Christians – if this faith is true, and worth sharing, we have to be those who are sent as Jesus was sent
• We want to be charismatic Christians – living in the power of the Spirit, expressing the life of the Trinity, and thoroughgoingly supernaturalist

Open evangelical would be another shorthand description...

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Fair do's, Bishop Pete' ...

That's how I'd understand the SH position and I've not been since the early 1980s.

My question would be whether it actually fulfils that remit ... but then, the same could be asked of any other grouping or convention in terms of their core values too.

On the whole, I'd suggest that you pretty much know what you're going to get with any of these conventions - whether it be Keswick, Greenbelt, New Wine, SH and the new one I've just learned about, Celebrate , the RC charismatic one ...

Which is fine. Just so long as you aren't expecting something different and end up disappointed.

--------------------

pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, well, I think you'd be surprised. We deliberately ring the changes. The Exsultet on Easter Sunday morning. Prayer House for meditative prayer throughout the day. Cafe Church and other alternatives to Big Top Worship. Lectures and debates, not just seminars. A worship stream for sung worship leaders and liturgists to work together on what we think we're doing in Sunday worship. The Talk Zone, run by the agenda of the guests.

Nothing wildly radical compared with Greenbelt, but not exactly predictable with what people on this thread think we're like, born of experiences some years ago. And we go through every piece of guest and speaker feedback and evaluate what's said.

As you say, if you don't like big events, you probably won't attend. But I'd hate people to put us in the "been there, done that" box when they don't actually know what we're up to these days.

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another one who remembers the 'newspaper' year. Was that 'Uncage the Lion'? Some good songs around then. And free Lion bars given out, as I remember.

I remember the 'newspaper' theme being explained not in terms of intelligence or political views, but in terms of the kind of presentation you enjoyed listening to/taking part in. I went to 'TV-AM' which was advertised as 'words and pictures' and involved lots of group work. It certainly wasn't the 'thickie stream', just a more interactive style of seminar.

SH was the place I learned that you could be evangelical and not creationist, or inerrantist. It's also where I rubbed up against lots of different kinds of Christian and spent long hours chatting and widening my views.

I remember when the 'Holy Spirit stuff' was kept to the late night seminars, so as not to frighten the horses.

It's 20 years since I've been, and the last few times I actually avoided the Big Top until the last few days as it wasn't lively enough until everyone had 'warmed up'!

I don't do New Wine, which most of my church does - partly because I'm cautious about some of the bandwagons which get jumped on, but mostly because I Do Not Camp. And we don't have a car, so a B&B is not an option.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Fair enough, Pete173.

Some of that newer stuff sounds more my bag ...

Please don't get me wrong, though. I thoroughly enjoyed SH when I attended in the early '80s and it was a significant time (both years I went) in my early development as a Christian (if I can put it that way).

A lot of the material was genuinely challenging and although there was a bit of froth and bubble coming in, the underlying ethos and impression was very positive.

Incidentally, for all the carping about the negative sides of the big conventions and so on, I've only now remembered and incident that impressed me greatly during a train journey down the Welsh borders towards Cardiff a good while back now.

A Baptist lady got on with her kids having attended SH at Prestatyn and when asked by one of her fellow passengers about where they'd been, she told them about SH and what they'd done there etc etc.

This led into a very positive conversation about life, faith, the church and everything with the people around here. It was a delight to listen in on from a few rows in front. It was non-cheesy, down-to-earth and, I'd still maintain despite my post-evangelicalism, an almost text-book example of how to discuss these things. The woman didn't rely on platitudes nor offer easy answers, she accepted difficult questions and wasn't averse to giving 'don't know's' rather than trying to blag it.

It was clear that she'd had a wonderful time at SH and this translated into her presentation of the Gospel. It was one of the best 'witnessing' conversations - if I can put it like that - that I've heard.

So, well done SH. I think one would have to have been one of the most curmugeonly of Christians (of whatever stripe) not to have been impressed ...

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Another one who remembers the 'newspaper' year. Was that 'Uncage the Lion'? Some good songs around then. And free Lion bars given out, as I remember.

I remember the 'newspaper' theme being explained not in terms of intelligence or political views, but in terms of the kind of presentation you enjoyed listening to/taking part in. I went to 'TV-AM' which was advertised as 'words and pictures' and involved lots of group work. It certainly wasn't the 'thickie stream', just a more interactive style of seminar.

SH was the place I learned that you could be evangelical and not creationist, or inerrantist. It's also where I rubbed up against lots of different kinds of Christian and spent long hours chatting and widening my views.

I remember when the 'Holy Spirit stuff' was kept to the late night seminars, so as not to frighten the horses.

It's 20 years since I've been, and the last few times I actually avoided the Big Top until the last few days as it wasn't lively enough until everyone had 'warmed up'!

I don't do New Wine, which most of my church does - partly because I'm cautious about some of the bandwagons which get jumped on, but mostly because I Do Not Camp. And we don't have a car, so a B&B is not an option.

I think that it was "Uncage the Lion" - I still have the songbook.

On the subject of biblical inerrancy, I remember Roger Simpson's seminar on Biblical interpretation, which caused somewhat of a hoo-haa by challenging some evangelical shibolleths.

I also remember the late-night meetings, where us crazy charismatics could strut our stuff away from all the respectable types. [Snigger]

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Now I've generated a nice warm feeling in my breast ... I'll revert to curmugeonliness ... [Razz]

@Gill H (in a rather tongue-in-cheek way) - if the 'liveliness' has to be 'warmed' or 'worked up' to some extent, doesn't that give you pause?

One of the reasons why I don't do 'lively' as much as I used to is because I've grown weary and wary of the means so often used to pump things up to the 'required' level.

Surely if there's some Big Top warm-up acts and platform cues going on to psych people up into 'lively' mode then it calls the reality of the experience into question to some extent.

Don't get me wrong, I don't object to 'lively' per se and I spent years and years doing the happy-clappy stuff, but I do object to emotional manipulation and worship-leading that sets out to elicit a particular response from the crowd.

The problem is, as I see it, that as soon as people've twigged how the mechanics of all this works, the less likely it is that they'll engage as wholeheartedly as they did when they took it all at face-value. At least, that's been my experience.

People have to become acclimatised to lively worship. When I first came across lively choruses and so on at SH in 1981 I thought it was all a bit wet and embarrassing ... and those who raised their hands etc were exhibitionists. Soon, however, I became acclimatised to it and started to do the same and before long I'd become involved with even more 'lively' and charismatic stuff which made SH 1982 appear pretty tame.

From then on I went into restorationist Bible Week overdrive for a few years before broadening out and exploring other traditions and worship styles etc around the mid to late-90s (although I'd always maintained a soft-spot for both Anglican liturgy and the traditional non-conformist hymn-prayer-sandwich).

I think SH is probably as broad and as balanced as can be reasonably expected without bursting the boundaries of evangelicalism per se. Those boundaries themselves are more elastic than they use to be at any rate.

Howbeit, I hope I haven't come across as too negative and carping on this thread. I've got a lot of time for the people who organise and run events like SH.

--------------------

Saul the Apostle
Shipmate
# 13808

- Posted      Profile for Saul the Apostle   Email Saul the Apostle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was in a small home group meeting recently and someone in the group said to the group: ''how much I am in love with Jesus''. I cringed and felt rather odd that I just couldn't use that sort of language about Jesus (maybe it's a gender thing?). I may love him and accept him as Saviour and Lord, but to say ''I am in love with him'' is for me something I don't feel comfortable with.

In one sense Spring Harvest, like most things, is a result of it's time. the wacky mid 1990s 'prophecy' given by Gerald Coates to R.T.Kendall was of it's time. This was discussed on another thread here on the Ship.

The positives and negatives of Spring Harvest are those, surely, that afflict wider evangelicalism in the UK are they not? I accept the new moves that have been expressed by Bishop Pete and others (sounding good) . Indeed my own experience of SH 10 years or so ago was pretty darned positive - overall.

In the 1970s to the end of the millennium, the common view, seemed to be that charismatic evangelicalism was the way forwards & for some the ONLY way forwards. This strand of faith had big amps and a positive high powered message. It was quite easy to get ''sucked in' to the hype of that period.

Many of us on the Ship are ''recovering charismatics''. We are Christians but we have seen the abuse of the charismatic wing of the church. We are wary of the quest for constantly new experiences and sensationalist manifestations.

By the sound of it SH is aware of these excesses too and steers clear. Good for SH and I wish it well as it seeks to work out what it means to be a Christian in the second decade of the 21st Century.

Saul

--------------------
"I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is Russian national interest."

Posts: 1772 | From: unsure | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Masha
Shipmate
# 10098

- Posted      Profile for Masha   Email Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gamaliel: With posts like this people are going to think you're an ex-charismatic who has 'moved on' from such things [Big Grin] .

For what it's worth, I know many sound and mature people who are part of the charismatic wing of the church. They don't seem to need to move on anywhere else, they are happy, God-loving and have deep faith.

I'm not keen on the idea that they need to 'grow up' or do something different. They don't. They love God and spread his love wherever they go. And I don't mean that in an 'Aw, look at their simple faith!' kind of way. I'm genuinely in awe and I wish I could do the same.

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Thanks Masha, I wonder how people could come to such a conclusion ... ? [Big Grin]

I was very conscious when I posted what I have done here that it might sound as if I were berating people like Gill H for remaining charismatics and enjoying lively worship and so on ... without approaching it from a 'second-naivety' stand-point or a more ironic or post-modern position.

It's a tricky position to be in. Because it means that it is hard to question/evaluate these things without sounding smug, curmugeonly or patronising ...

'You'll grow out of it young lady/young man ...'

For the record, I second Saul's comments and good wishes for SH in this new(ish) Millenium.

I'm also happy to accept that there are people who remain committed to the charismatic thing and don't want to shift their position. Fine. A lot of these people are doing excellent work and are far more committed to the work of the Kingdom than I am.

That's not the issue. I'm not doubting that for a second.

All I'm saying is that whilst I do genuinely retain a soft-spot for the people and the underlying intention, this stuff ain't where I'm at any more and it's by means clear where I am heading ... unless I obey the siren calls to cross the Bosphorus or move in a more Mystic direction of some kind ...

I know I bang on about these things on these Boards and it must get wearisome (as the Americans would say). I crave your indulgence though as I'm trying to work these things out in my own mind.

I'd find it very hard to sit through or participate in a full-on charismatic praise-fest these days. That's just the way it is.

YMMV, as they say.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Thinking about it, I'm not sure I'm any less charismatic than I used to be, Masha. It's just expressed in a different way.

--------------------

Masha
Shipmate
# 10098

I wasn't getting at you I promise!

I know it's difficult to work out where you are going. And you're right, it is hard to question anything, anywhere, in any tradition without sounding as if you feel you've got it all squared away.

I do feel that charismatics and evangelical Christians get a bit of a raw deal (sometimes) from the kind of church I'd call home so I'm at pains to point out that we don't all think that way!

Everyone's mileage varies. I suppose that must be why God chooses to meet with us all in different ways and places, SH and others are all part of that.

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Sure. In fairness, you will find me defending charismatics and evangelicals in real life, and sometimes here. But generally here is where I work out my post-evangelical salvation in fear and trembling ...

[Biased]

I didn't think you were 'getting' at me, by the way ... [Biased]

--------------------

Saul the Apostle
Shipmate
# 13808

- Posted      Profile for Saul the Apostle   Email Saul the Apostle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thread on ''charismatics in recovery'' anyone?

Is it worth a new thread or has it been done to death?

Saul

--------------------
"I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is Russian national interest."

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Probably been done to death, but if you start one I'd probably join in!

[Biased]

I would be interested in exploring issues like 'The second naivety' and also the vatic and the numinous as they are expressed in other traditions.

I can come across as ex- or anti-charismatic on these boards, but I'm not averse to pneumatology nor the idea of God the Holy Spirit working in and through us fallible, sinful and mixed-up human beings despite our very obvious weaknesses and failings.

--------------------

Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the risk of sounding like an old damp hippy, "Charismatics in Recovery" sounds just a tad prejudicial, and dismissive/condescending to the non-recovering charismatics (poor things) [Smile]

However, I'm also interested in how for some of us there's a definite movement through different modes of understanding & expression of faith. I have a lot of sympathy for what I think is Gamaliel's position: the 'now' position feeling like a growth & maturing from the 'then' position, with a move from a more ra! ra! Go, team, go! approach to worship/expression to a more contemplative and measured one. I try to fight the urge to view it as a maturing/growing-up though, because that just feeds my already more than plump arrogance and doesn't help when dealing with friends who are a bit more "out there".

I guess on an individual/personal level it's hard to see it as anything other than maturing/growth/progression, rather than just value-neutral change. We're all getting older (despite the One Bad Pig song), and have a natural tendency to look back on the past as youthful follies and enthusiasms (albeit sometimes whistfully). A bit like how Brian McClaren exhorts people not to be smug/pitying about the 'stage' of faith they're at in relation to others, but none-the-less still describes it as a continuum where the further along you are, the more mature/enlightened/advanced you are, which kind of feeds the 'superiority' thing despite the attempt not to.

Between these boards and some current personal relationships, it's something that's often trickling around the back of my mind.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
ianjmatt
Shipmate
# 5683

- Posted      Profile for ianjmatt   Author's homepage   Email ianjmatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pete173:
Yes, well, I think you'd be surprised. We deliberately ring the changes. The Exsultet on Easter Sunday morning. Prayer House for meditative prayer throughout the day. Cafe Church and other alternatives to Big Top Worship. Lectures and debates, not just seminars. A worship stream for sung worship leaders and liturgists to work together on what we think we're doing in Sunday worship. The Talk Zone, run by the agenda of the guests.

Nothing wildly radical compared with Greenbelt, but not exactly predictable with what people on this thread think we're like, born of experiences some years ago. And we go through every piece of guest and speaker feedback and evaluate what's said.

As you say, if you don't like big events, you probably won't attend. But I'd hate people to put us in the "been there, done that" box when they don't actually know what we're up to these days.

As much I think these are a good move forward, and as much as I appreciate much of what I have experienced at SH in recent years (I have always been there in a 'professional' capacity rather than as a regular punter) it still seems to me that anything different is kept to the finges and the big events are of the same format as before -large worship group stuff form the front followed by 40 minutes of evangelical teaching.

--------------------
You might want to visit my blog:
http://lostintheheartofsomewhere.blogspot.com

But maybe not

Posts: 676 | From: Shropshire | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I think you've got my position about right, Snags.

At the risk of introducing a tangent, I'm increasingly convinced that charismatic expressions of worship are simply another aspect of people's innate creativity and if they didn't exist people would find alternative outlets. The same applies to bells'n'smells, Alt.worship or whatever else is available to us.

If I were to draw a chart or graph to illustrate my own journey, then there'd be an axis that showed the number of 'contributions' in worship meetings - in the form of extemporary prayer, 'prophecy' (if it could be called that) and exhortations going down in inverse proportion to my growing interest in poetry and creative writing and performance at open-mic nights and the like.

I would argue that both were two sides of the same coin. Only one form of 'creativity' was expressed almost exclusively in a church-meeting/service context and the other was worked out 'in the world' as it were.

I'd be interesting in exploring those kind of dynamics rather than yet another thread that went 'charismatics are silly, haven't they grown out of it yet?'

In essence, I'm saying that I believe that I'm no more or no less charismatic than I've ever been ... simply that the mode of expression and the interpretation I place on the actions/phenomena and methodology has changed.

Does that make sense?

There does seem to be an intrinsic judgementalism within the Brian McClaren, Fowler's Stages of Faith models. But then, there's an equal and opposite judgemental tendency within bog-standard charismatic evangelical circles.

Regionally, a charismatic bash at our diocesan Cathedral has been pulled due to lack of interest. Amongst the understandable disappointment among its supporters, I've detected a slight note of judgementalism insofar that they feel that people really ought to make the effort ...

I'm not so convinced there was a market for the event in the first place as the 'committed' charismatic types would already have their own networks/go to New Wine or attend one or other of the big conferences etc.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Regionally, a charismatic bash at our diocesan Cathedral has been pulled due to lack of interest. Amongst the understandable disappointment among its supporters, I've detected a slight note of judgementalism insofar that they feel that people really ought to make the effort ...

I'm not so convinced there was a market for the event in the first place as the 'committed' charismatic types would already have their own networks/go to New Wine or attend one or other of the big conferences etc.

Who'd want to attend a charismatic event at a cathedral?? I thought today's cathedrals were meant to be specialising in offering top quality high church forms of worship. (Or is that something else I've got hopelessly wrong about the CofE?)

But I can understand their disappointment and their judgementalism - I've certainly witnessed both of those things in my resolutely non-charismatic church experience.

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
[QBWho'd want to attend a charismatic event at a cathedral?? I thought today's cathedrals were meant to be specialising in offering top quality high church forms of worship. (Or is that something else I've got hopelessly wrong about the CofE?)

But I can understand their disappointment and their judgementalism - I've certainly witnessed both of those things in my resolutely non-charismatic church experience. [/QB]

I'm pretty sure there isn't a monolithic plan, many cathedrals have taken advantage of their natural advantages for that enable them to do 'top quality' 'high church' but there's no reason why they shouldn't do top quality anything else if that's what works*. Instead or as well.

Likewise there's no reason why a village can't do high church as best as it can (and many do).

*how you measure what works I've no idea, you'd need a time machine I think. But it would depend on the ['clergy' skills], the congregation, the non-congregation and visitors.

As for the judgemental-ism it cuts all ways. I've been disappointed at evensong turn outs. It's easy to forget people aren't in the same schedules/emotions as you.

[ 29. April 2012, 15:12: Message edited by: Jay-Emm ]

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

If I was going to be cynical, SvitlanaV2, I could suggest that the organisers of the called-off event deliberately chose the cathedral as a venue as they wanted to put down a marker ... beating the Germans to the beach as it were ... [Biased]

My guess would be that, subconsciously perhaps to some extent, by organising a charismatic bash at the cathedral they were wanting to send a message: 'Look, here we are, we charismatics are at the centre of things ...'

But, historically speaking, there've been big charismatic rallies at cathedrals long before now. Guildford Cathedral hosted an inter-church charismatic bash back in the day which drew people from the emerging charismatic renewal and the classic Pentecostals as well as charismatic people from the 'traditional' Protestant Free Churches. This was back in the late '60s I think and there were even Orthodox delegates present, indeed one of the Pentecostal attendees walked out because of that ... it did not compute ...

Durham Cathedral has hosted big charismatic rallies in the past too. Others will have done too, no doubt.

My own feeling is that there's no longer a market for this sort of thing. The charismatics have long since 'networked' themselves into their own connections and conferences.

Cathedral worship could form a separate thread. It isn't always 'high' ... but it does tend to be more traditionally Anglican and regular cathedral attendees go to cathedrals for this reason.

Evangelical and charismatic Anglicans probably don't attend traditional cathedral worship that much ... but some will, by way of a change every now and then.

--------------------

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My own feeling is that there's no longer a market for this sort of thing. The charismatics have long since 'networked' themselves into their own connections and conferences

It didn't need to be particularly cynical - go back a few years and there were plenty of charismatic/high church services being held in various minor cathedrals, the effects of the charismatic movement and the general ecumenicism that was the offshoot of it were still being felt.

These days the two things are rather separate off-course, though the blended approach still continues to linger in some High Anglican circles.

The trajectory of Michael Harper roughly mirrors that of the movement he was part of.

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Saul the Apostle
Shipmate
# 13808

Some of you may want to put your specs on and read this.....

http://www.birthpangs.org/articles/background/CharismaticRenewalinBritain.pdf

This sort of gives an overall look at charismatic/pentecostal development in the UK. Written by the Prinicpal of St John's in Nottigham Rev Dr David Hilborn ; I've just read it and the piece sort of puts the wider context in which Spring Harvest exists.

Worth a read IMHO.

I wasn't being flippant about being a ''charismatic in recovery'' either.

I suspect there are a few of us out there, notwithstanding Gamaliel and myself, a number of us have maintained a solid faith in Christianity, yet find typical charismatic ''platform ministry'' glib, shallow and in my case loud (is there a correlation in higher volume and closeness to God?) and , the heart of it, for me, it doesn't focus on Jesus Christ and help foster my ongoing and hopefully deepening 'walk' with him.

This being a ''charismatic in recovery'' can be hard; because the nature of these groups is that they foster ''relationship'' and if you're IN you're OK, but if you're OUT you are sort of sent to the gualag (and Coventry) and sort of seen as some sort of pariah and reprehensible apostate; which I suppose is logical as ''their'' way of Christianity is the pinnacle of Christendom.

Quite frankly it's sh** and quite a long way from true acceptance in Christ; it is a form of power politics; a form of 'groupthink' and directive social psychology which penalises free thinking and wants to ensure conformity and ''honouring'' of the leadership - scary.

Of course I am NOT repeat NOT speaking about ONE actual or specific church here or a specific leader or leaders. Repeat not speaking about one specific church, more the overarching general tendency in British charismatic fellowships across the UK.

I think some brave soul could start a seperate thread at this point [Angel]

Saul the Apostle

[ 29. April 2012, 17:03: Message edited by: Saul the Apostle ]

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Well, the late Fr Michael Harper became Orthodox, of course, and the first Dean of the UK & Ireland Antiochian Orthodox Deanery. His widow, Jean, is still involved.

I'm not sure that many charismatics have followed him into Orthodoxy. I've met a few, but I suspect there are no more than a few dozen/hundred at the most in the whole of the UK. Probably more in the US but still relatively small numbers.

I think it is fair to say, though, that the 'higher' end of the charismatic renewal has absorbed some of the mixed-approach models and moved on. The loudness seems to be a feature of the 'lower' end of the spectrum.

I can't speak for Saul, but even as a 'recovering restorationist' I've not experienced the cold-shouldering he's alluding to. People from restorationist (or former restorationist) fellowships do sometimes raise an eyebrow when they find out I'm now in an Anglican setting, but then, I've known Baptists have similar reactions (I was in a Baptist church after my lengthy restorationist period).

On the whole, I'd agree with something ken said on a similar thread a while back, that in his experience charismatics tend to be more ecumenical than other forms of evangelical.

Eclecticism comes with the territory to a certain extent. There's a curiosity and experimentation within the charismatic scene that can be very creative and capable of ecumenical expression.

Shall I start the new thread?

Yes, go on ... I will ... but it won't be a knocking one ...

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by Saul the Apostle:
Some of you may want to put your specs on and read this.....

http://www.birthpangs.org/articles/background/CharismaticRenewalinBritain.pdf

This sort of gives an overall look at charismatic/pentecostal development in the UK. Written by the Prinicpal of St John's in Nottigham Rev Dr David Hilborn ; I've just read it and the piece sort of puts the wider context in which Spring Harvest exists.

A very useful and interesting essay.

quote:
This being a ''charismatic in recovery'' can be hard; because the nature of these groups is that they foster ''relationship'' and if you're IN you're OK, but if you're OUT you are sort of sent to the gualag (and Coventry) and sort of seen as some sort of pariah and reprehensible apostate; which I suppose is logical as ''their'' way of Christianity is the pinnacle of Christendom.

Quite frankly it's sh** and quite a long way from true acceptance in Christ; it is a form of power politics; a form of 'groupthink' and directive social psychology which penalises free thinking and wants to ensure conformity and ''honouring'' of the leadership - scary.

I think that all forms of Christianity present 'in groups' and 'out groups'. If you were a Methodist who started to insist that Methodists should speak in tongues during church services you'd expect to become a 'pariah' pretty rapidly! And if you're a charismatic who decides that charismatic spirituality is unhelpful to you, your friends in the charismatic church would obviously be critical, because you're rejecting something they're committed to. The best they could do would be to hope you find another church where you could be happy.

Friendships often rely on our being on the same wavelength as our friends. When our outlook changes, the friendship will probably come under strain.

It occurs to me that being a charismatic must be a bit like being a Catholic. Both groups are really convinced that they're right, so breaking away must be quite traumatic. There are some advantages to this; both groups probably hold on to their members better than churches where noone minds too much what your theology is, how obedient you are. Many mainstream churches lose lots of people who simply drift away - no trauma, no grandiose criticism, no public recriminations. Some commentators say this gives the impression that noone really cares if you're they're or not.

So, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. But we can only speak out of our own experiences.

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

'... if you're there or not.'
Saul the Apostle
Shipmate
# 13808

Svitlana,

this is probably the ''new thread'' territory that Gamaliel just posted, but I'd agree with you up to a point.

Any intense and focused group, that considers itself wholly ''right'' will put much more pressure on a person to conform and remain in the group.

So an intense full on independent charismatic group versus say an evangelical Anglican church will be a very different from each other - IMHO.

So, I'd agree up to a point and there the broad similarities between groups may end. If you read how people tried to get out of The Children of God cult (and I am really NOT comparing mainline charismatics with C of G), folk really have to break free with a very single minded approach. That type of approach is often needed to loose oneself from certain intense charismatic groups, due to their very intense and ''we're right, they're wrong'' intrinsic nature - IMHO.

Saul

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saul the Apostle:
I suspect there are a few of us out there, notwithstanding Gamaliel and myself, a number of us have maintained a solid faith in Christianity, yet find typical charismatic ''platform ministry'' glib, shallow and in my case loud (is there a correlation in higher volume and closeness to God?) and , the heart of it, for me, it doesn't focus on Jesus Christ and help foster my ongoing and hopefully deepening 'walk' with him.

I'm on this path too, in that I've become increasingly sceptical of the 'platform ministry' model that so often goes with charismatic Christianity.

But I'm not moving away from the fundamental point of charismatic Christianity - the belief that God works through his followers in supernatural ways in order to bring his kingdom into reality.

Perhaps what needs to take place is a rediscovering of what charismatic Christianity means? Let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater...

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Unless you are an out-and-out sceptic, I'd suggest that ALL Christian traditions believe that God works supernaturally through his people in various ways ...

It's just the weight that's put upon that which varies, or the particular 'symptoms' (as it were) that are expected ... but this is my new thread territory ...

There's a continuum of intense commitment/belief about whether one's outfit or tradition is the 'right' one. There are plenty of Orthodox and plenty of Roman Catholics who are convinced that their Church is the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic one ... of course they do. It's part of being who they are.

The difference is the extent to which is prevents them hobnobbing with anyone else.

On the charismatic church model, I would suggest that some (but not all) relationships and friendships forged in such settings are necessarily fragile (although they don't appear so at the time) because they're based on 'functional' criteria or a sense of a shared vision. But this can happen in any committed group - be it a political party, a voluntary organisation of some kind or a church.

But this is the territory for the new thread ...

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016