homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Is the British political landscape going to change? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Is the British political landscape going to change?
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aumbry:
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
The Nationalists are going to stay in power anyway because, for the reasons set out in the OP, and by other posters throughout this thread, the three other main parties , Conservatives, Labour and Lib/Dem have all become dislocated from mainstream voters.

Perhaps that it is because the other three parties are all stuck in the real world whilst parties like the Nationalists and the Greens are in a never-never world of "it would all be better if" which the Liberals have only recently vacated.
If the 'real world' is that which asserts that man serves the economy, rather than the economy serving man, I want no part of that world at all and I am truly baffled why anyone would.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

- Posted      Profile for aumbry         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Perhaps that it is because the other three parties are all stuck in the real world
If they are stuck in the real world, why do so many posters on this thread say they do not want to vote for any of them? Why the talk of disenfranchisement, of disconnection?
Perhaps because if you have a thread about people being fed up with the political system posters who are fed up with it will post to it!

People are bound to be fed up because the real world is stuck with problems like debt which cannot be just wished away. If they could then the Greeks would have wished it. As far as I am concerned I wish that Scotland had joined the Zone of Prosperity (or whatever it was called) with Iceland and Ireland. The Scots would then have had to bail out RBS and BoS.

The Nationalist's USP is independence as without that they are just the Labour Party without a lot of the undesirable historical political baggage. I suspect the tide has turned against independence north of the border although it is gaining traction south of it, the SNP realise this and have therefore come up with Devo-max or Indo-lite or whatever. That is not a viable option however.

Posts: 3869 | From: Quedlinburg | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Perhaps because if you have a thread about people being fed up with the political system posters who are fed up with it will post to it!
However, the forthcoming council elections on 3 May are likely to indicate that dissatisfaction with the main parties goes far beyond a few dissaffected Shippies.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Trickydicky
Shipmate
# 16550

- Posted      Profile for Trickydicky   Email Trickydicky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think disenfranchisement goes two ways. Too many voters dismiss all politicians out of hand. Certainly *some* are egotistical party hacks who would vote for anything their party told them to and be able to justify it.

But of course many politicians are just good people ground down by the system.

I blame computers - seriously. The politicians know where the battle ground is - whether its taxi drivers in Basildon or Worcester woman. So they put all their effort there. They don't need to listen to their core vote, and they don't listen to the vote they will never win. But all that means is they have stopped listening altogether.

They think they know how to win elections, but hey don't know how to win the electorate. [brick wall]

--------------------
If something's worth doing, its worth doing badly. (G K Chesterton)

Posts: 57 | From: Greater Manchester | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

- Posted      Profile for lowlands_boy   Email lowlands_boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
However, the forthcoming council elections on 3 May are likely to indicate that dissatisfaction with the main parties goes far beyond a few dissaffected Shippies.
In that case, it will just constitute p*ss poor turnout as it frequently the case. We have a seat to vote for in our local council elections on 3rd May, and the three candidates are Conservative, Labour, and Lib Dem. So if you want to be dissatisfied with all three main parties, perhaps you should spoil your paper.

We also have seven seats on the parish council, and only five candidates, so quite why there is a need for an election in that case I don't know.

Besides, "party/parties in national government getting a bloody nose in local elections" is not exactly a new phenomenon.

--------------------
I thought I should update my signature line....

Posts: 836 | From: North West UK | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

I see reports that the LibDems have fallen into second place in the polls behind UKIP.

Sounds about right. Clegg and his chums seem to have had a death wish with their promotion of things like AV and House of Lords Reform for which there was and is no public clamour. Did I hear a rumour that they are still keen on Euro membership too?

I suppose the LibDems support for a government with a wholly incompetent Chancellor of the Exchequer called George doesn't do them any favours too!

molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I see reports that the LibDems have fallen into second place in the polls behind UKIP.

What? UKIP the strongest party ahead of the Liberals? Will they form a coalition? Or if the Tories and Labour get together with the Greens, will they be able to establish a credible minority government with Cymru Plaid and the SNP holding the keys? Political landslide in Aumbry's Britain already!

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Inger
Shipmate
# 15285

- Posted      Profile for Inger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I find infuriating is that so many voters take their disappointment with Clegg out on the local LibDems. Here in Newcastle we had a really good LD council, but it was lost to Labour last year. I'm very much afraid it will get even worse this year, and we'll be back to the way things used to be, with a pretty useless Labour council. In the years in which the council had a LibDem majority, we saw some valuable changes and improvements.

I shall vote for our LD councillor, who's done sterling work for the ward; but I'm very much afraid she'll lose, all because people can't or won't distinguish between local and national politics.

Posts: 332 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Saul the Apostle
Shipmate
# 13808

- Posted      Profile for Saul the Apostle   Email Saul the Apostle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For a while Clegg and the Lib Dems deflected all the muck that folk felt about the coalition. The Tory party was sitting pretty. Clegg was a patsy. Of course the Lib Dems were stupid to try and prop the Tories up in the first place; but Clegg and his mates were desperate for power.

Now it is Cameron who is getting flack.

That must be painful for him and the coalition will continue because the PM and his deputy know that if a General Election were called this year they would be both be utterly wiped out.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/9223064/David-Cameron-and-Conservative-Party-slump-in-polls-amid-claim s-they-are-out-of-touch.html

Saul

--------------------
"I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is Russian national interest."

Posts: 1772 | From: unsure | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even Thatcher's Tories had low ratings between elections in the 80s. She still won elections. I'm convinced we'll have five more years of Cameron/Osborne package.

In the rest of Europe people are making clear to cuts-friendly governments what they think of them (in France and Holland, though I think that Sarkozy will gain fascist votes), and in France a far-left party gained its highest share of the vote since 1988. We also have the Catsuit Coalition success in Bradford. I think that both anti-capitalism and anti-immigrant parties will do better.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In part, I think that is also due to the sentiment that the fat cats' in-your-face capitalism has not been dealt with. Most people realise that you can't spend more than you earn in the long run, but they (and I among them) are seething at the fact that account-pushing charlatans walked away with the bounty in the good days and have mysteriously disappeared now that we've been asked to settle the bill for the party. Any government, regardless of their political stripe, which has failed to rectify this (and that is most) are in for a thrashing. It's a bad time to in government in most parts of Europe.

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I daresay that the economic problems exacerbated by George "double dip" Osborne will not be appreciated by those same fat cats.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

quote:
Originally posted by Molopata The Rebel:
quote:

What? UKIP the strongest party ahead of the Liberals? Will they form a coalition? Or if the Tories and Labour get together with the Greens, will they be able to establish a credible minority government with Cymru Plaid and the SNP holding the keys? Political landslide in Aumbry's Britain already!
Not quite - I meant that UKIP was the new third party. Not sure where "second place" came from. Possibly wishful thinking.
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most recent national YouGov poll has Labour 45%, Tory 32%, Liberal 8%, UKIP 7%

MORI has Labour 38%, Tory 35%, Liberal 12%

ComRes (you?) have Labour 43%, Tory 33%, Liberal 11%

In the past British opinion polls have often tended to slightly over-estimate Labour votes and underestimate Tory and Liberal.

Specifically in London Johnson is still slightly ahead in opinion polls about the election for Mayor, with everyone else no-where.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016