homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » 103rd Bishop of Chichester (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: 103rd Bishop of Chichester
+Chrism
Apprentice
# 17032

- Posted      Profile for +Chrism   Email +Chrism   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wonderful farwell service for Rt Revd John Hind as he prepares to retire as Bishop of Chichester as of tomorrow - Monday 30th April 2012.

Now in 3 weeks time the next Bishop of Chichester will be announced. From a source close to the whole process it is set to be a decent appointment which I'm quite excited about even though I'm not part of that Diocese.

Have any of your heard any other names going round?

--------------------
+In Nomine Patris Et Filio Sancti

Posts: 38 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Charles Read
Shipmate
# 3963

- Posted      Profile for Charles Read   Author's homepage   Email Charles Read   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Decent for whom?

And have you ever met any indecent bishops?

--------------------
"I am a sinful human being - why do you expect me to be consistent?" George Bebawi

"This is just unfocussed wittering." Ian McIntosh

Posts: 701 | From: Norwich | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Read:

Now that would make for an interesting thread....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Read:

Only on reflection...

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or perhaps in reflection? [Devil]
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
Or perhaps in reflection? [Devil]

Precisely.

That Narcissus
Should take a missus
Was a notion he rejected
After he'd reflected.

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
+Chrism
Apprentice
# 17032

- Posted      Profile for +Chrism   Email +Chrism   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations to Bishop Martin Warner who has just been announced as the next Bishop of Chichester
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Collectors of really obscure trivia will be pleased to know that Queen Elizabeth II has now appointed as many bishops of Chichester as did her predecessors Victoria & Elizabeth I. One more, and she'll hold the record.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
+Chrism
Apprentice
# 17032

Although this is still to be announced by Number 10 Downing Street but a clergy within Chichester who was close to the process announced this to me earlier today
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by +Chrism:
Congratulations to Bishop Martin Warner who has just been announced as the next Bishop of Chichester

Another FiF? [Disappointed]
Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
+Chrism
Apprentice
# 17032

quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
quote:

I knew this was gonna happen as it even said in the Statements of Needs that there is sufficient reason why the next Bishop of Chichester should be someone who does not ordain women but they should have a suffragan who does.

I'm glad they've kept to the long tradition of Traditional Catholics such a Eric Kemp, John Hind now Martin Warner [Smile]

FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

More of a leak than an announcement...
Berwickshire
Shipmate
# 15761

- Posted      Profile for Berwickshire   Email Berwickshire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spare a thought for the disappointed Diocese of Europe who were all hoping (albeit for their different reasons) that Dr Rowell might get it: he is resident there after all and might, but for his age, have been the man to take over from his own predecessor here.
Posts: 57 | From: Eastern Europe | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I knew this was gonna happen as it even said in the Statements of Needs that there is sufficient reason why the next Bishop of Chichester should be someone who does not ordain women but they should have a suffragan
And do they have a suffragen who does? Horsham doesn't.

+Martin Warner used to write in the Church Times, as far as I can recall I usually found what he had to say interesting and helpful. Unfortunately, he looks very much like someone I loathe and it's hard not to project that person's unpleasant attributes onto him.

[ 01. May 2012, 18:30: Message edited by: justlooking ]

+Chrism
Apprentice
# 17032

quote:
quote:
I knew this was gonna happen as it even said in the Statements of Needs that there is sufficient reason why the next Bishop of Chichester should be someone who does not ordain women but they should have a suffragan
And do they have a suffragen who does? Horsham doesn't.

+Martin Warner used to write in the Church Times, as far as I can recall I usually found what he had to say interesting and helpful. Unfortunately, he looks very much like someone I loathe and it's hard not to project that person's unpleasant attributes onto him.

No Wallace Benn doesn't ordain women but hopefully they'll appoint a new Bishop of Lewes who does
StarlightUK
Shipmate
# 4592

- Posted      Profile for StarlightUK   Email StarlightUK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

As one who is in the Diocese of Chichester I think it appropriate to wait until it is formally announced rather than rely on leaks from clergy who don't seem able to maintain such basic confidentiality. It isn't even on the diocesan website yet!
Posts: 76 | From: Brighton | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

Bit late now.
+Chrism
Apprentice
# 17032

quote:
Originally posted by just looking:
Bit late now.

The announcement is due within the next few days so I hear most probably Thursday. Now the search for Whitby starts it's all too much
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

We've gone and spoilt if for them haven't we? [Snigger]

So when's Wally Benn going? I thought he'd already gone. Any whispers about possible non-FiF replacements?

I went to a Midnight Mass in Brighton some years ago and the presiding priest was a woman - Mother Judith. I get the impression that many in Chichester are tired of FiF dominance.

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I went to a Midnight Mass in Brighton some years ago and the presiding priest was a woman - Mother Judith. I get the impression that many in Chichester are tired of FiF dominance.
Anywhere with a priest of that name is by definition going to be out of sympathy with FiF, justlooking.

But wherever you go, the boss is always a bastard. It's the British way. The number of bishops from the liberal catholic and modern church parties is disproportionately higher than numbers of such parishes and there is a parallel resentment to that, often focused on those bishops personally.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
The number of bishops from the liberal catholic and modern church parties is disproportionately higher than numbers of such parishes and there is a parallel resentment to that, often focused on those bishops personally.

I query that. Of course for a long time there were few evangelical bishops, because the evangelical revival took a long time to filter through to the ranks of those eligible. But there seems to be a good balance now. And outside Brighton, parts of London and a few other places there are not many (compared to the noise they make) 'traditional' anglo-catholic parishes: I can't do the maths but I'd be surprised if they were more than 10% of the total. Apart from the 'flying bishops' there are several more who would represent these.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think 10% sounds about right, Angloid, though for that I think they only have one diocesan, don't they? Con Evo's don't have any, and only 2 suffragans (if memory serves).

I am going by memory, so am open to correction with more recent statistics, but the number of pew-squatters self identifying as liberal catholics in the last wide-ranging survey I saw - around 4 years ago - was actually less than trad catholics, whereas the number of diocesans (don't know about suffragans) was more than any of the above.

Just for the record I personally disapprove of the whole partisan thing, of every flavour, and that extends to attitudes towards bishops based on partisan considerations. But I am hardly the first to remark on the numbers imbalance.

Your point about a time-lag in numbers of evangelicals is well-made.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chances of a non-fif bishop in Chichester pre women bishops vote=slim. Anorexic even. Simple politics.

Don't want to scare the waverers.

AtB, Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think 10% sounds about right, Angloid, though for that I think they only have one diocesan, don't they? Con Evo's don't have any, and only 2 suffragans (if memory serves).

I think part of the argument why there aren't more ConEvo bishops is that they're seen, rightly or wrongly, as not being good at team games. If evangelicals get appointed, they're more more likely to hail from the Open/Charismatic streams.

I understand that things are kicking off in Southwark because the bishop is making appointments that are all liberal/catholic, and none from the sizeable evangelical community.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the con-evos in Southwark shot themselves in the foot many years ago by refusing to co-operate with diocesan structures and keeping themselves isolated. Much as anglo-catholics did in many places in the past. Certainly the deanery I used to belong to operated perfectly happily despite (or perhaps because of) the absence of a couple of the evangelical clergy from most meetings. Whether that was our fault or theirs I don't know.

I suspect the vast majority of ordinary laity would not identify with any 'party' in the church. Partly because they have not undergone the particular theological formation that all priests from any part of the spectrum will have had. This has often led to narrowness of course, but more often simply clarifies views about where one stands on the sacramental/scriptural axis. The clerical equivalent of a MOTR layperson is more likely to be open evangelical or liberal catholic. Now that a majority of theological colleges are of the former flavour that will probably eventually be expressed in the relative proportions of bishops.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Brilliant - he is a lovely man, by all accounts. Though he opposes the OOW, he doesn't seem so vociferous about it and keeps to the mainstream.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

Brilliant - he is a lovely man, by all accounts. Though he opposes the OOW, he doesn't seem so vociferous about it and keeps to the mainstream.
He is indeed a lovely man and has a fine intellect.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

quote:
quote:
Anywhere with a priest of that name is by definition going to be out of sympathy with FiF, justlooking.......

I don't think she was the parish priest there - I think she'd been invited to preach and preside. I'd been there before and it's high AC. I had the impression a point was being made by the parish clergy.
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Though he opposes the OOW, he doesn't seem so vociferous about it and keeps to the mainstream.

Presumably part of the reason for a St Paul's canonry, a mitre, and a diocesan bishopric? They think he's tame.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

quote:
I don't think she was the parish priest there - I think she'd been invited to preach and preside. I'd been there before and it's high AC. I had the impression a point was being made by the parish clergy.
OK justlooking, understood - but I guess the point stands even at one remove.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

Most of Chichester diocese seems to be out of sympathy with FiF. In 2008 the Telegraph reported:Bishop faces rebellion over women clergy.
quote:
Out of its 393 parishes, only 65 have stated that they would not accept a woman as their incumbent ......

Many priests and worshippers believed that the resignation of one of the two junior bishops - the Rt Rev Lindsay Urwin, the Bishop of Horsham - presents an opportunity for a shift in policy.

Yet despite promising to conduct a consultation on who should succeed Bishop Urwin, Bishop Hind told a recent meeting of key officials that he would maintain the status quo by appointing someone who will not ordain women.

If most of the laity and most of the clergy in Chichester are in favour of women priests why is it a FiF stronghold?
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

quote:
If most of the laity and most of the clergy in Chichester are in favour of women priests why is it a FiF stronghold?

Well, as I said earlier I don't believe there should be any reasons for any such thing. But my original interjection related to the rise and rise of partisanship and bishops who identify with such parties. That's the way it's getting played, and if lib. cath. types have played it more successfully than the other parties, then you can expect the others to start squeaking. I deplore it personally, but this is the sort of thing you should have expected when the game kicked off. It's not my game at all.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

So +John Hind is running the diocese to suit his personal agenda.
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

If you replace "personal" with "party", then I suppose yes - and presumably that's what is happening in Southwark also. My point being that Chichester is part of a bigger problem. If you want to turn a blind eye to that, it's your choice. Anyway, not to gild the lily, I've made my point I'm sure.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

The Man with a Stick
Shipmate
# 12664

- Posted      Profile for The Man with a Stick   Email The Man with a Stick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Most of Chichester diocese seems to be out of sympathy with FiF. In 2008 the Telegraph reported:Bishop faces rebellion over women clergy.
quote:
Out of its 393 parishes, only 65 have stated that they would not accept a woman as their incumbent ......

Many priests and worshippers believed that the resignation of one of the two junior bishops - the Rt Rev Lindsay Urwin, the Bishop of Horsham - presents an opportunity for a shift in policy.

Yet despite promising to conduct a consultation on who should succeed Bishop Urwin, Bishop Hind told a recent meeting of key officials that he would maintain the status quo by appointing someone who will not ordain women.

When I was in the Diocese (some time ago now), there was a feeling that you "didn't need" to pass the Resolutions, as the Bishop would not put a woman incumbent in, in any case. If that still holds (and it's really stupid reasoning, incidentally) those figures might be misleading.

If a liberal diocese has appointed a Trad-Cath bishop recently, then I might view things differently - but it's no surprise that the constituency is doing all it can to hold onto what it's got.

Posts: 335 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Fifi
Shipmate
# 8151

- Posted      Profile for Fifi   Email Fifi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And the 104th is announced here
Posts: 591 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fascinating bit around 7.30 when the Archbishop of York tries to remember the prayer of St Richard of Chichester.

Good news that the new bishop is a 'people person' and has a passion for the arts.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

- Posted      Profile for lowlands_boy   Email lowlands_boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
Fascinating bit around 7.30 when the Archbishop of York tries to remember the prayer of St Richard of Chichester.

Good news that the new bishop is a 'people person' and has a passion for the arts.

I'm a Methodist and we're still bishop free, but why is it good for a bishop to have a passion for the arts?

--------------------
I thought I should update my signature line....

Posts: 836 | From: North West UK | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Because it suggests he's at ease with nuance and subtlety?

[ 03. May 2012, 10:46: Message edited by: Angloid ]

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
Because it suggests he's at ease with nuance and subtlety?

Absolutely!
And because of the legacy of George Bell.
I'm sure there are other reasons too.

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
[
And because of the legacy of George Bell.

and Dean Hussey of course.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
quote:
Though he opposes the OOW, he doesn't seem so vociferous about it and keeps to the mainstream.

Presumably part of the reason for a St Paul's canonry, a mitre, and a diocesan bishopric? They think he's tame.

Thurible

I think he is humble - and holy.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

I think his ideas about gender are completely dotty. But I know a fairly large number of young, male, CofE clergy who think he's a sweetie.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm. Is that necessarily a good thing?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
I think his ideas about gender are completely dotty. But I know a fairly large number of young, male, CofE clergy who think he's a sweetie.

I am old, male and not clergy. What are these views about gender that he is supposed to hold?

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

I thought you were acquainted with him, leo. Don't you know?

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know Martin Warner's views on gender. I think I saw him receive communion from a woman priest once, but I may have been mistaken.

It's really good news, to my mind.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lord Pontivillian
Shipmate
# 14308

- Posted      Profile for Lord Pontivillian   Author's homepage   Email Lord Pontivillian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
I don't know Martin Warner's views on gender. I think I saw him receive communion from a woman priest once, but I may have been mistaken.

It's really good news, to my mind.

I wonder if it's such good news for the female clergy in my parish? It's good that he's willing to accept communion from Women but is it helpful that he won't ordain them?

[ 03. May 2012, 20:04: Message edited by: Lord Pontivillian ]

--------------------
The Church in Wales is Ancient, Catholic and Deformed - Typo found in old catechism.

Posts: 665 | From: Horsham | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:

I'd've thought it unlikely that Bp Martin Warner, SSC, did so but I suppose one should never rule anything out.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I thought you were acquainted with him, leo. Don't you know?

No, come on, don't drop these coy little hints. Are you suggesting that he is gay? (The bit about being thought a sweety, not the bit about dotty views on gender as such.)

[ 03. May 2012, 20:58: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016