homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Nature and Authority of Holy Tradition (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Nature and Authority of Holy Tradition
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
It doesn't matter how you phrase it, Mark, it still makes "he clearly wants us to think these things through for ourselves" a big fat lie.

I'm sure you are right, but is there anyone who writes anything with the completely unbiassed intention that their readers simply think for themselves.

Richard Dawkins says he wants people to think for themselves, but he sure as heck doesn't want people to end up doing just this, and coming to the conclusion that the Great Richard Dawkins might be wrong.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
1 Cor 11v13: Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered?

Advanced logic-choppers can have a meal with both, of course, but it is clear that the intent was "no need to bother!".

[Big Grin] I'd love to convince my bunch that I should always pray with my head covered - preferably with the duvet, in bed, at home. But I just know someone will complain.......
Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
I'm sure you are right, but is there anyone who writes anything with the completely unbiassed intention that their readers simply think for themselves.

Probably not, but most people at least have the good grace not to tell filthy stinking lies about trying to set people free while at the same time adding more padlocks to the same people's prison doors.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Probably not, but most people at least have the good grace not to tell filthy stinking lies about trying to set people free while at the same time adding more padlocks to the same people's prison doors.

OK - before we go any further I don't think the Pope ever actually said "to make people think for themselves". If I remember, it was more to do with engaging people in talking about the things of Christ. He did not write the book under any papal "magisterium", so people were always free to disagree with him.

Anyway, volume II "Holy Week" is out now, so I hope you don't beat me in the queue, to buy the last copy before they are sold out! [Frown]

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Holy Smoke
Shipmate
# 14866

- Posted      Profile for Holy Smoke     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:

You might not believe it, Marvin, but the Pope does not normally tell filthy stinking lies. Rather, he believes that orthodox Catholic doctrine represents the truth about God and Jesus, therefore he presumably feels that the reader, if he were to think carefully and deeply about it, would come to the same conclusion. Presumably, he didn't have you in mind. [Big Grin]
Posts: 335 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016