homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » I Won't Dance, Don't Ask Me (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: I Won't Dance, Don't Ask Me
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any ecclesiastical hoofers out there?

Focussing on another irregular, unscriptable, unliturgical and potentially corybantic form of worship, this is a follow-on from the thread on glossolalia.

I love the idea of dancing in worship, and if it is legitimate to compile wish-lists for Heaven, I would like to put in a request for the grace, co-ordination and lack of self-consciousness to…..”dance like David danced”, as a praise song puts it?

Well, maybe just a little more circumspectly, though his particular failings as a dancer might not be a problem in Heaven.

The trouble with worship dance as a performance on a platform is that there are, I suspect, a number of insensitive and unspiritual Christians like me, for whom the response to a young woman writhing in a leotard is not, “What a stunning evocation of the spirit striving after the ineffable!”, but, “What great legs!”

The trouble with dance in congregational worship is that try as we might to mind our own business, concentrate on our own experience and let others do what they like, the physical antics of our fellow-worshippers can be unavoidably distracting and even rebarbative.

I was once in a meeting in which a woman bowled over a small child while swanning around in a terpsichorean trance without even noticing what she had done.

This raises again the issue of differences between what is appropriate for private and corporate worship, and also Paul’s words that everything be done “decently and in order” which, no matter how the admonition is relativised in terms of personal taste and cultural contextualisation, must mean something.

Is Lewis’s famous decription of “a Greek Orthodox mass” at all helpful here?: “Some stood, some knelt, some sat, some walked; one crawled about the floor like a caterpillar [prostration?]. And the beauty of it was that nobody took the slightest knowledge of what anyone else was doing”.

Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm one of very small number of ship dancers. There was an article in the Church Times a couple of months ago which describes some of the dance forms that you might come across in church. It mentions my dance form which is circle dance.

I find dance as a performance a real problem as it is usually done very, very badly by people who have no dance training, musicality or knowledge of choreography. They may be responding to the spirit but until they get the training to allow the spirit to get past the ego please will they do it in private [Mad] .

Dance, for me is embodied prayer. When I have led dance in a congregational setting it has been with the whole congregation taking part. Not everyone will be on their feet moving; I adapt the dance for those who want to sit and take part as well.

Simple choregraphies of perhaps only 4 or 8 steps, which are repeated through a piece of music are a bit like the Jesus Prayer but in steps rather than words.

So participation rather than performance for me.

[ 07. June 2012, 06:20: Message edited by: Poppy ]

--------------------
At the still point of the turning world - there the dance is...

Posts: 1406 | From: mostly on the edge | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Kaplan Corday: I love the idea of dancing in worship, and if it is legitimate to compile wish-lists for Heaven, I would like to put in a request for the grace, co-ordination and lack of self-consciousness to…..”dance like David danced”, as a praise song puts it?
I found that a couple of pints normally does that for me [Biased]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
Any ecclesiastical hoofers out there?

Yes, I love to dance in worship but I only do it when I'm alone.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never seen it in the UK but when I was a VSO in Uganda, Mass at the village church used to last at least two and a half hours. It included amazing drumming and all the congregation dancing. It was certainly not a performance, but everyone from small children to the very old joined in. I was far too inhibited, but my students told me not to worry, they knew I was English and I was therefore excused. And anyway, they said, I could not dance properly as my bottom was too small.

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
catthefat
Shipmate
# 8586

- Posted      Profile for catthefat   Email catthefat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you are distracted by beautiful dancers you are lucky.
The only ones I have ever seen were grossly overweight, with unshaven legs and armpits,out of time and swathed in sheets. Or maybe it was shrouds.

Posts: 143 | From: nottingham uk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess you could always close your eyes in deep prayer and devotion if you don't like what you see.

There appear to be different types of dancers discussed here - those who wish to break out into spontaneous dance, rather like those who raise their hands in the air and wave them about. But there are also dancers who practise their moves to dance to pre-ordered choreography, dancing a set piece rather like a choir who regularly practise their anthems. I guess some people prefer one over the other, but it does help to know which sort we are talking about.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mockingale
Shipmate
# 16599

- Posted      Profile for Mockingale   Email Mockingale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I respect people with their different tastes and modes of expression of God's love, but the moment I see interpretive dance at a Eucharist, I'm out.
Posts: 679 | From: Connectilando | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
lycra, ahhhrrrgh my eyes

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I need to confess that I am a modern dance aficionado and attend between 10 and 20 performances a year. I am accustomed to experimental techniques built on hundreds of hours of rehearsal. This cripples me in terms of being able to bear most liturgical dance, the choreography of which usually shares the double disadvantage of being not-yet-classical but still dreadfully out of date. I have seen some exceptions to the rule, such as the labyrinth-focussed compline at Vancouver's Christ Church Cathedral and the back-and-forth shuffle of Ethiopian Orthodox services, but I count these as exceptions and will now generally strive to avoid liturgical dance.

Sometimes I wonder if there be a cultural divide here, as I know many people who are great fans of liturgical dance, and perhaps we're at a transitional period in being able to appreciate such things. I'm willing to tune in again in a few years to see if things have changed.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I just chip in here that the use of coloured flags in worship is an abomination?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The trouble with worship dance as a performance on a platform is that there are, I suspect, a number of insensitive and unspiritual Christians like me, for whom the response to a young woman writhing in a leotard is not, “What a stunning evocation of the spirit striving after the ineffable!”, but, “What great legs!”

Yes. For perfectly natural phsyiological reasons I have only two possible reactions to watching other people dance. If they are attractive women its sexual arousal, if not its a mixture of boredom and mild embarrasment. Neither is very helpful in worship.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is 'wanking before the Lord' or 'liturgical wanking' permitted?

I'll get me coat...

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the answer to your question is "yes", then your coat may come in handy.
Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Every Church in South Bristol displays one of these.

--------------------

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
Every Church in South Bristol displays one of these.

Oh good, I'm in the right place! (I live in Bristol).

Would rather (thinks of an extreme scenario then stops exaggerating)... okay, let me just say I'd really rather not watch or participate in dance in church (no, not even seated). The whole thing would just set off my ick meter.

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The closest we got was one of our curates handing out a leaflet saying that they were thinking of setting up a 'liturgical dance' group, and that anyone interested was to come to a meeting in the parish hall. My response at the time was 'Blimey!, Blimey!, BLIMEY!' which raised a laugh - but I guess nobody turned up because nothing ever came of it.

--------------------

Shiprat
Shipmate
# 12808

- Posted      Profile for Shiprat   Email Shiprat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Can I just chip in here that the use of coloured flags in worship is an abomination?

AMEN!

Those few occasions when I enjoy liturgical dance I can guarantee it is for all the wrong reasons.

--------------------
O. .O
(>.<)
"---"

Posts: 274 | From: Upon the My Oh My | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Wondering when Hugal will turn up?

Also wondering whether people who like Liturgical Dance are the same as those who like ballet?

Also wondering whether anyone likes Liturgical Dance apart from those who perform it?

--------------------

tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is 'litugical dance' the same as 'shuffling about a bit when there is a really uptempo hymn or modern worship song'?
Because if it is, then guilty as charged.

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Codepoet

Best Bear On Board
# 5964

- Posted      Profile for Codepoet   Email Codepoet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"tapping my foot like David tapped his foot" is as far as I ever go.

--------------------
It's more important to be kind than to be right.

Posts: 1156 | From: Southampton | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hugal and I are on holiday with very little internet access.

However, let me just set off the QI klaxons re King David. He was fully clothed. The scandal was because he was dressed like a priest, rather than a king.

Hugal doesn't dance in an ephod, but with an iPod instead. Badoom-tish!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by catthefat:
If you are distracted by beautiful dancers you are lucky.
The only ones I have ever seen were grossly overweight, with unshaven legs and armpits,out of time and swathed in sheets. Or maybe it was shrouds.

Not true

A bishop of my acquaintance went to seminary with a woman who would become one of the first women ordained in TEC. The woman in question liked to do liturgical dance. She was apparently very buxom in her youth. Her liturgical dancing very much distracted her male classmates. Did I mention she was also a nun? 40 years later, I could still hear a tinge of guilt in his voice.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the US Comedy Central has the Steven Colbert (pronounced the French way). Steven is a comedian that actually mocks the Republican party's position as if he were conservative himself. Steven is an active Roman Catholic--he appeared with ash on his forehead on Ash Wednesday. He also teaches in his parish's DCC program. A couple of years ago he did the King of Glory liturgical dance. \

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oASYa-Wkroc.

I have to say it is not all that good. However, many years ago I remember watching a short film called the Dancing Prophet. It was the story of a African American Ballet Dancer who went to to the inner city of New York to teach young kids how to dance. He did a liturgical dance at the end of the film that was very stunning. Wish I could find a copy of it somewhere.

People forget David danced before the altar of God and was not struck down.

I am not a good dancer myself, but I have no objection to someone offering his/her talent to the Lord in worship--assuming they are good dancers--that is.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Colbert's case, it was at least intentionally not-good. And therefore hilarious. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Is 'wanking before the Lord' or 'liturgical wanking' permitted?

I'll get me coat...

Or Puppetry of the Penis?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Doubly so when they are national flags - which have all sorts of unhelpful connotations.

On the topic of dancing; both the large australian church and the flagship Elim church in London regularly feature dancers who dance for the entire time of worship on either side of the stage. They tend to deliberately pick fairly attractive young women - and watching them gyrate is definitely not conducive to any sort of spiritual moment.

It reminds me about something I heard an Episcopalian priest who worked with addicts say; about how as humans we have a tendancy to confuse our appetites. Actively encouraging that process seems to be a very bad thing.

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
quote:

Doubly so when they are national flags - which have all sorts of unhelpful connotations.

On the topic of dancing; both the large australian church and the flagship Elim church in London regularly feature dancers who dance for the entire time of worship on either side of the stage. They tend to deliberately pick fairly attractive young women - and watching them gyrate is definitely not conducive to any sort of spiritual moment.

It reminds me about something I heard an Episcopalian priest who worked with addicts say; about how as humans we have a tendancy to confuse our appetites. Actively encouraging that process seems to be a very bad thing.

While I do not know the circumstances of Elim's selection process, the training and practice (and muscle and joint damage) required of serious dancers tends to restrict it to the young (a friend of mine, at 40, is one of the oldest professionals in the modern dance world in Canada). Fit young people (and dancers are very very fit indeed) usually fall into the attractive category. And, as any student of dance will tell you, movement and particularly gyrating movement, as its biological associations. As art of all sorts can touch these keys in individuals, this in itself is not exceptional but anyone planning to use liturgical dance needs to keep it in mind.

Still, I find that it is usually so very poorly done that, as a part of public liturgy, I think it best that we put it to the side.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
On the topic of dancing; both the large australian church and the flagship Elim church in London regularly feature dancers who dance for the entire time of worship on either side of the stage.

I would probably be sick to my stomach. Any movement at the edge of my vision (animated ads on the internet!) make me nauseous.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
nauseous.

Pedantry alert.

Nauseated.

A gastroenterologist (so it is straight from the horse's mouth) once told me that nauseous means causing nausea and nauseated means experiencinging nausea.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I havr been present at one of those times when the whole congregation is expected to dance - and been the only one who didn't. I felt very uncomfortable.

The only dancing I have seen in church that moved me was a small chorister spontaneously dancing down the aisle of the Cathedral at the end of a Eucharist many years ago.

And yes, his name was David [Big Grin]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

quote:
quote:
nauseous.

Pedantry alert.

Nauseated.

A gastroenterologist (so it is straight from the horse's mouth) once told me that nauseous means causing nausea and nauseated means experiencinging nausea.

But, but but ....

"make me Nauseated."

is not right?

LOL at me getting involved in grammar.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

quote:

LOL at me getting involved in grammar.

Be afraid, you are one step away from becoming a boring old fart, spending your lonely years rattling off 'Disgusted of Pixieland' letters to the Times. Be very afraid.

The activities I don't like, which are far more likely to occur in normal Anglican churches, are when the young enthusiastic priest demands that the whole congregation stand up and sit down when certain words (or words beginning with a certain letter) are sung in the next jolly Christian song. (Not quite dancing, more like bobbing.) I am amazed how many people join in, sometimes I seem to be the only one who doesn't.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
nauseous.

Pedantry alert.

Nauseated.

According to Merriam Webster

quote:
NAUSEA 1. causing nausea or disgust : nauseating
2. affected with nausea or disgust.
Those who insist that nauseous can properly be used only in sense 1 and that in sense 2 it is an error for nauseated are mistaken...

I'll listen to your gastroenterologist on medical matters, but use a dictionary for common usage.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AND they pronounce it "NORshus"

--------------------
Ken

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Really? How shocking. Tell me, can you point me to any videos of these appalling practices, so that I can see for myself just how, ahem, unconducive to spiritual moments they are?

Certainly sounds like it beats the kind of liturgical dance to which I was exposed in the 80s, and which put me off the whole idea forever (except when practiced by Dervishes, whose dancing is rather wonderful). Ladies of a certain age in leotards and leggings, wafting long scarves in approximate time to a bad rendition* of Pachelbel's Canon.... [Disappointed]

(*and most renditions of poor old Pachelbel's Canon are bad)

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Finally got to a place with a good connection. Firstly let's get this out of the way. I am a director of the Christian Dance Fellowship of Britain and the ballroom network coordinator for the International Christian Dance Fellowship.
At my church we encourage free dance worship at the back of the church where there is room. Everyone knows this is happening and takes it into account. We only dance when the kids are out to avoid accidents. People can choose to watch or not. I encourage anyone to dance at the back. The level of skill is not relevent. We encourage everyone to sing even if they have a very distant relationship with the tune. Anyone up front is there to perform and has to be of a similar level to a member of the worship band or choir.
Flags I see as an extension of my hand and movement. The colours have meaning if you want to see it.
I teach ballroom dance. I also lead workshops in worship dance and using ballroom dance in worship. I like to explore different types of dance as well and recently organised and co-choreographed a Flashmob for the Pentecost Arts Festival here in London.
I do agree that we, as dancers, need to do it well. This does not mean you have to be Nijinsky but at least know what you are doing.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

quote:
quote:
quote:
nauseous.

Pedantry alert.

Nauseated.

quote:
Those who insist that nauseous can properly be used only in sense 1 and that in sense 2 it is an error for nauseated are mistaken...

I'll listen to your gastroenterologist on medical matters, but use a dictionary for common usage.

Feck me.

Do I win a prize?

I've never been right on a grammar question before, the END may be about to happen. Can I apply for my stage one grammar nazi badge?

AtB, Pyx_e.

meh I was only taking a punt.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

quote:
Originally posted by Hugal:
I encourage anyone to dance at the back. The level of skill is not relevent. We encourage everyone to sing even if they have a very distant relationship with the tune. Anyone up front is there to perform and has to be of a similar level to a member of the worship band or choir.

Thanks for the explanation, Hugal. It makes more sense to me now you have likened it to how we approach the singing.

--------------------

Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
nauseous.

Pedantry alert.

Nauseated.

quote:

Feck me.

Do I win a prize?

I've never been right on a grammar question before, the END may be about to happen. Can I apply for my stage one grammar nazi badge?

AtB, Pyx_e.

meh I was only taking a punt.

Well, that's the last time I let that illiterate look up my bum!

Actually, according to the Oxford Pocket Fowler, the gastroenterologist's distinction used to apply in America until recently, but has become blurred.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But I really wish y'all would hold the line... Otherwise it's a waste of two (formerly) useful distinctions.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...I would like to put in a request for the grace, co-ordination and lack of self-consciousness to…..”dance like David danced”, as a praise song puts it?

To "dance as David danced" - if one uses a certain hermeneutic applied to other aspects of church tradition [Biased] - means that all liturgical dancers must be:
  • Male
  • More than thirty years old
  • Either lightly dressed in linen, or not at all (thanks to Chorister for the felicitous mention of "bobbing")

This ought to solve some problems for those who have eye-custody issues with liturgical dancers, although perhaps it would create others. If you dance thusly and you're married, your wife might not think much of the entire display and chew you out.

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
If you dance thusly and you're married, your wife might not think much of the entire display and chew you out.

I'll just follow the Davidian precedent by imprisoning her, never touching her again, and acquiring replacements.

That's right, she doesnt read SoF.

Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

Davidian? What was I thinking?

Davidic, though the Shorter Oxford also has Davidical.

Actually, I would forgive her anything, even mocking my dancing, because she has just arrived home and presented me with the Holy Grail of coeliacs - gluten-free black jellybeans which she discovered in a supermarket!

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was brought up in South Africa and dancing was normal during most hymns. 99% of services ended with a procession round the outside of the building, which was actually a dance round the building.

It was wonderful.

I must dig out the photos.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently tried out the Zimbabwean custom of everybody shaking hands with everyody else whilst singing a hymn after the service.

Not outside the building but inside due to prevailing weather conditions.

It was gloriously chaotic. But everyone enjoyed it.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Ghana, dancing and drumming were associated with paganism, and the traditional missionary churches banned both in worship. The post-independent indigenous pentecostal churches incorporated such ethnic forms, which proved attractive to the young, especially. Eventually the established churches had to yield, although older members deliberately crossed their arms when coming forward with their offering to protest against such syncretic practices. (Dancing is usually associated with collections).
Recently the pagans have been protesting that Christians have been drumming in their churches when the traditional religion demands they be silent.
As far as the UK is concerned, it seems to me that the natives find it difficult to dance unselfconsciously in church and is better consigned to the category of No Sex Please, We're British!

Posts: 1641 | From: South Ofankor | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a burst of that sort of thing about thirty years ago. It seemed to do something important for those that did it, but was embarrassing for everyone else. Best done in private or at the back.

Maybe it's just the circles I move in, but it seems to have more or less died out again. But then, I don't get coloured flags either.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't get smoking handbags and the like either. But I'm glad my type of church, which has traditionally been extremely verbally oriented, has access to the ideas of using visual cues, colours and movement in worship - which, of course, certain styles have had all along.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I was brought up in South Africa and dancing was normal during most hymns. 99% of services ended with a procession round the outside of the building, which was actually a dance round the building.

That happens in our church from time to time. It' very different from the idea of "litirgical dance" as some sort of artistic self-expression done by a special team of leotard-wearing-persons waving coloured thingies that everyone else has to sit down and watch and pretend to find Deeply Meaningful and Truly Spirtual.

--------------------
Ken

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016