homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What comes to mind when you think about God? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What comes to mind when you think about God?
Ramarius
Shipmate
# 16551

- Posted      Profile for Ramarius         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AW Tozer apparently said:

"The most important thing about you is what comes to mind when you think about God."

So what comes to mind?

--------------------
'

Posts: 950 | From: Virtually anywhere | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Peace, beauty, stillness.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mary LA
Shipmate
# 17040

- Posted      Profile for Mary LA   Author's homepage   Email Mary LA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been reading articles about and selected writings from Hildegard of Bingen and she describes herself as 'a feather on the breath of God' which makes me think of a very gentle and powerful soft movement of Spirit.

--------------------
“I often wonder if we were all characters in one of God's dreams.”
― Muriel Spark

Posts: 499 | From: Africa | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure I have the words to describe God - but I 'see' a vast, enormous, tremendous power that encompasses everything, from the galaxies (just think Andromeda) to the microscopic beauty of any sort of life on earth (think bacteria or viruses)

Its the vastness that gets me!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Struck by a tremendous Holy Awe which raises me out of myself to a place where I feel deeply loved; nourished and protected where I know it all makes sense and that difficulties and tribulations are nothing in themselves but a test. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find it quite hard to think about God, to be honest, at least in any abstract sense. I find it a lot easier to think about Jesus, which is where the Incarnation and, indeed iconography, helps.

'The Word became flesh and dwelt among us ...'

That said, I insist on the strictest Trinitarian formularies.

There have been times when I've had a strong sense of the numinous but I'm not sure I actually consciously 'think' about God as such in any deliberate 'let's-sit-down-and-think-about-God' way.

Some of the Orthodox mystics, of course, taught that we need to clear our minds of any physical or imaginative construct if we really wanted to get to grips with the reality of God.

I'm not sure it's completely possible to rid ourselves of anthropomorphic or physical concepts - and I'm conscious of what J I Packer was getting at when he wrote that it's idolatrous to have any kind of physical image when we think of God. I can see what he was getting at but I'm not sure that such a thing is entirely possible.

We are not Buddhists. We believe in a physical Incarnation. What our hands have touched, our eyes seen, concerning the Word of Life.

There's not a void nor an ineffable stillness and silence. There is a presence.

How we apprehend and realise that is the interesting issue, though.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If thinking about God is about summarising who or what God is to us, then it does say a lot about who we are.

If thinking about God is about exploration, discovering more of the vastness of who God is, it may be one of the ways in which we worship God.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unlike Gamaliel, I find it very hard to think about Jesus and much easier to think about God: a powerful force for good, in everything and through everything. And with very strong arms to hold it all up.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ramarius:

"The most important thing about you is what comes to mind when you think about God."

So what comes to mind?

How lousy he is at keeping his alleged promises. How he seems to be utterly averse to plain speech, since his alleged words have to be reinterpreted, redefined and qualified before they match real-life experience. How (as I've said here before) if He and I are supposed to have some sort of "relationship", it wouldn't kill him to pick up the phone once in a while. And what a bloody awful employer he is.

Does Tozer mean that I'm bad at all those things too, then?

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing. Anything else for me would be dangerous.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So what comes to mind?

Kneeling.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How apophatic ...

Mind you, I found it very difficult to answer Ramarius's question. I've gone from a quite goo-ey 'hwyl' pietism mixed with a very propositional and 'modernist' form of quasi-Calvinism towards a position where I find it difficult to articulate anything 'concrete' about God other than that he is and that he is a rewarder of those who earnestly seek him ... even if, as per Adeodatus, he doesn't always seem to answer his phone or his emails ...

--------------------

EJ.
Shipmate
# 9063

- Posted      Profile for EJ.   Email EJ.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing. And I don't mean to imply I don't believe in God, I do; I just can't imagine anything that'd be enough, so to speak.
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amen EJ.

Since I became Orthodox I have ceased to meditate for precisely this reason. Shared meditation in a group is even more fraught with difficulty. It is desperately easy UNWITTINGLY to manipulate peoples' feelings with perfectly straight forward biblical meditations, (of the affective sort I mean). The Cloud of Unknowing and St. John of the Cross (in the west) and St. Dionysios and St. Symeon the New Theologian (in the east) offer a safer path I think.

[ 21. June 2012, 11:23: Message edited by: Father Gregory ]

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fuff
Apprentice
# 14655

- Posted      Profile for Fuff   Email Fuff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Light and Love in that order.
Posts: 22 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The ground of all being.

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think about God as a friend. The greatest Friend I will ever have. A Friend who happened to create me in Her/His own image and loves me so much that I can't even wrap my mind around it. And, like Father Andrew M. Greeley, I now see God as my Lover. It's scary to admit that here because I open myself up to charges of blaspheme or some such rot but that is the way I think about my God.

Certainly, it's not all peaceful warm feelings. I also feel awe/wonder/some healthy fear bumping up against the magnitude of God but I also feel Her humor, Her mercy, grace, tenderness, and sometimes Her anger when I do something to hurt Her, i.e. hurt another creature or myself.

I go back and forth about whether Jesus is God. Most of the time I think of him as my much older, infinitely wiser brother. I don't think he minds this at all. Jesus and I have an understanding. He knows I struggle with the concept of him as fully human and fully God.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
quote:

So what comes to mind?

How lousy he is at keeping his alleged promises. How he seems to be utterly averse to plain speech, since his alleged words have to be reinterpreted, redefined and qualified before they match real-life experience. How (as I've said here before) if He and I are supposed to have some sort of "relationship", it wouldn't kill him to pick up the phone once in a while. And what a bloody awful employer he is.

Does Tozer mean that I'm bad at all those things too, then?

Give him a break. He has to deal with humans all day.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
what comes to mind when you think about God[?]

That we had to invent Him because He didn’t exist.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The word God

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick
That we had to invent Him because He didn’t exist.

An "invention" that is part of the evolutionary process then. And of no different status to any other idea, given that all ideas originate through this process (according to the philosophy of naturalism). Therefore this idea is as valid as any other idea.

Which shows how self-contradictory naturalistic epistemology really is, in which all ideas derive their validity through their utilitarian function, and yet this same theory declares that some of these ideas are not actually valid, because they are not "true" (whatever that means). So how can an idea be both valid and invalid at the same time?

More evidence that these smug "new atheist" declarations are incoherent and irrational.

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ambivalence
Apprentice
# 16165

- Posted      Profile for Ambivalence   Email Ambivalence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Creation, observation, morality, a potential afterlife, and how these can be reconciled with each other. A scientist's approach, I suppose.
Posts: 22 | From: Peterlee | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Judge. Always watching. Always knowing. Who demands perfection as a minimum standard. For whom nothing we do can ever be good enough.

The sort of Father whose first words, when we come home on a Sunday evening full of the joys of having scored our first ever half-century on the cricket field, are "so why wasn't it a century then?"

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One huge big contradiction.
Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Singularity
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
The word God

Yep, that's what I get.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:
More evidence that these smug "new atheist" declarations are incoherent and irrational.

[Snore]

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

The question may tell us more about A W Tozer than it tells us about ourselves - although, in fairness, he was of a rather mystical bent. But I'm a bit suspicious about the question as it seems to have an inbuilt judgementalism about it - as if to separate the sheep from the goats - which is God's prerogative and not ours.

But that might be a judgemental perspective on my own part ...

[Biased]

--------------------

Felafool
Shipmate
# 270

- Posted      Profile for Felafool         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alien - totally different and 'other', yet the essence of goodness and unconditional love. Slow to anger, swift to bless.

--------------------
I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty - I ordered a cheeseburger.

PerkyEars

slightly distracted
# 9577

- Posted      Profile for PerkyEars   Email PerkyEars   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Big and multicoloured. A sort of friendly presence that lurks almost out of sight because if we saw too much right now we'd be scared shitless.

I have trouble with letting go of concepts of God and thinking 'nothing', since God to me is a definate entity. I can admit I don't know everything about my mate, but I can't empty my mind of notions about them.

Posts: 532 | From: Bristol | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That He's thinking us from autonomy to glory.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
The Judge. Always watching. Always knowing. Who demands perfection as a minimum standard. For whom nothing we do can ever be good enough.

The sort of Father whose first words, when we come home on a Sunday evening full of the joys of having scored our first ever half-century on the cricket field, are "so why wasn't it a century then?"

That sounds like my cat.

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian

I remember a "God" like that. He was a projection of a particular church leader I once had some dealings with.

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I remember a "God" like that. He was a projection of a particular church leader I once had some dealings with.

Wasn't that AW Tozer's point when s/he said -

That we are all projecting - thus what we think of God says more about us than it does about God?

[ 21. June 2012, 17:56: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Parent.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie
That we are all projecting - thus what we think of God says more about us than it does about God?

Not necessarily.

God is not just an empty canvas on which we paint our own picture (which is really just a form of practical atheism). He does actually have a character, as revealed in the Bible, and especially through Jesus. And this true character is revealed through the witness of the Holy Spirit.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone who 'loves' me but doesn't like me very much.

Indifferent. Someone who has a different idea of what suffering means than I do.

Inaffable. Distant. Seeming careless with the world except for a few lucky people here and there. Careless of the suffering of the innocent and powerless, and thus must enjoy us more when we are dead than alive.

You didn't ask about Jesus....

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I rather think that it was still Tozer's point, though, EE.

I suspect his judgement on someone's position viz-a-viz God, salvation etc etc would depend on their answer. Which may or may not be the case. How do we know?

If we are Christians then of course what we know of God is revealed in scripture. But it's how we interpret scripture that's the point.

No, God isn't a blank or empty canvas but neither do we 'look' upon him in scripture or elsewhere save through the lenses of our own particular tradition or viewpoint.

I submit that we all anthropomorphise to a certain extent and that with all of us our view or image of God is going to be partial and is going to be flawed. How can it be otherwise?

Sure there's the witness of scripture (and tradition?) and there's the witness of the Holy Spirit but we still 'see through a glass darkly' and only 'know in part'.

I'm now going to sit back and wait for you to accuse me of practical atheism ...

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
quote:

Not necessarily.

God is not just an empty canvas on which we paint our own picture (which is really just a form of practical atheism). He does actually have a character, as revealed in the Bible, and especially through Jesus. And this true character is revealed through the witness of the Holy Spirit.

I was asking if Tozer was hinting at this in the quote, not saying I believe it myself.

I suspect there is a lot of truth in it though. We can't but project (Even when looking at the words and revealed character of of Jesus)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The word God

So the word 'God' itself has no meaning to you?

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
We can't but project (Even when looking at the words and revealed character of of Jesus)

I disagree.

I find that I can only comprehend the character of God through the revelation given by the Holy Spirit. If I try to "work God out" by natural means simply from the events recorded in the Bible or in the news, I am often left in a state of confusion. It's hard to imagine a God of compassion when meditating on, for example, the punishment of stoning prescribed in the Old Testament or trying to comprehend God's character and purposes when thinking about the experience of the Haitian child dying a slow death in the rubble of her house after the earthquake.

So in the light of this, why is it that I am convinced that "God is love"? This revelation cannot have come by natural means, because nature (and even the Bible) often defies this conclusion. It has come via the inner witness of the Holy Spirit, which is not a matter of my projection.

Certainly if God is nothing more than what we project about him, then the atheists (or at least the deists - i.e. practical atheists) are right.

--------------------

WhateverTheySay
Shipmate
# 16598

- Posted      Profile for WhateverTheySay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loving creator of everything. But too big to imagine.

--------------------
I'm not lost, I just don't know where I am going

Posts: 872 | From: Lost in Space, without a map | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

Sounds like one of my school teachers.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Sounds like my Grandma!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Mockingale
Shipmate
# 16599

- Posted      Profile for Mockingale   Email Mockingale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Timelessness. Beauty. Justice.
Posts: 679 | From: Connectilando | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Father Gregory:

Since I became Orthodox I have ceased to meditate for precisely this reason. Shared meditation in a group is even more fraught with difficulty. It is desperately easy UNWITTINGLY to manipulate peoples' feelings with perfectly straight forward biblical meditations, (of the affective sort I mean). The Cloud of Unknowing and St. John of the Cross (in the west) and St. Dionysios and St. Symeon the New Theologian (in the east) offer a safer path I think.

Amen, Father Gregory.

I think there is much cheap watered down "mysticism" available in books, groups etc.

Christian mysticism - the genuine inner path - requires competent guidance lest the would-be "mystic" gets totally lost and possibly gravely psychologically damaged as well.

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

EE, I think you are putting 2 and 2 together and making 5 again. I can't speak for Boogie but I'm certainly not saying that God is nothing more than what we project upon him.

Whenever we have this kind of discussion it tends to get all binary and either/or.

All I was saying was that our apprehension of God can only ever be partial at best. How can it be otherwise? And yes, let us praise God that He gives us His Holy Spirit of truth to lead us into all Truth - otherwise we wouldn't have any apprehension of God to begin with. 'He has set eternity in the heart of man ...' etc.

We see in part and we know in part, but one day we will see clearly and fully, as indeed we are 'fully known'.

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the moment this.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
angelfish
Shipmate
# 8884

- Posted      Profile for angelfish   Email angelfish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think of a person wearing a big cloak, with it spread out wide, ready to wrap me up with him when I get there. In a word, Abba.

--------------------
"As God is my witness, I WILL kick Bishop Brennan up the arse!"

Posts: 1017 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
quote:
The word God

So the word 'God' itself has no meaning to you?
Course it does. I can pick it apart.

It's just the word that seems to occur to me first.

p.s. Care to explain why God is a massive contradiction? Are we speaking Theodicy?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016