homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Which bits of the Bible MUST be included and which left out? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Which bits of the Bible MUST be included and which left out?
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Raeding this article in the Chattanooga Times Free Press about a Baptist preacher and his gay son, I was struck by the question the preacher is described as asking (fourth question in the quote):
quote:
But here Matt was, swallowed by questions.

How was a man supposed to read Scripture? What else did the church get wrong? Can you toss out certain parts of the Bible and not others? Why were divorce and premarital sex and greed -- all condemned in the Bible -- overlooked but not homosexuality?

He had watched Stephen die, holding on to God with one hand and the hand of his partner with the other -- unapologetic to the end.

How does one decide to choose the proof-texts that dominate your life? Does one have to choose those that damage other people?

And, subsidiary to that, why are so many of the proof-texts chosen from the OT - which tend to stretch if not actually oppose Jesus' teaching - rather than the teachings of Jesus? (I'm speaking of North American evangelicalism, including the fundies of the Harper government, and also RC bishops as the most public of these choosers)

Why are heavier jail sentences, however unproductive, the desire of the fundies? Why is capital punishment so delightful to the Christians of the US? Why is divorce OK, despite being repudiated by Jesus, while marriage is not allowed for those fornicatin' gays (who wouldn't fornicate if they were allowed to become paertners)? Why are gluttons and greed merchants so popular in churches (see: prosperity gospel)?

At the risk of making this a "gay" thread, I'll link to a favorite post of Josephine's from seven years ago, posing the same question. Thanks to Slacktivist for the main link, and to Josephine for the other.

[Removed stray capital I in Bible. It was annoying me - Tubbs]

[ 27. June 2012, 15:52: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interpretation and how one chooses to 'wield' passages is just as important as the actual text.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mary LA
Shipmate
# 17040

- Posted      Profile for Mary LA   Author's homepage   Email Mary LA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Orfeo says -- and more and more biblical scholars are now including the insights of reader reception theory, that we read any literary or religious text through the prism of our cultural background and context. There may be more awareness of the prejudices and expectations we bring to that text and the memory of how we have been taught within our church or academic context to approach the text.

In many traditions we may have been taught how to read the Bible against ourselves, not how to appropriate biblical texts to affirm a particular struggle, how to apply a hermeneutic of suspicion to texts traditionally used to exclude or vilify particular groups or minorities. This requires another kind of exegesis informed by experiences of oppression or exclusion.

And key texts may be viewed as battlegrounds for competing interpretations -- Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus is largely only quoted in the context of gender debates or by LGBT scholars as a defence against sexist or homophobic arguments.

One of the most popular texts used in South African churches throughout the 19th century was the infamous Romans 13 Slaves, be obedient to those who are your masters, only ever used by slave-owners, never by those who were slaves. The slaves themselves preferred Galatians 3:28, as recorded in the writings of Louis Leipoldt travelling through farms of the Cape Colony.

--------------------
“I often wonder if we were all characters in one of God's dreams.”
― Muriel Spark

Posts: 499 | From: Africa | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing should be left out, but it's possible that some bits have no direct relevance to the here and now. Everything in the Bible should be taken in the context of everything else that's in the Bible, so jumping to conclusions on the basis of a single passage is generally unwise.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Read the lot. But dont always add "This is the word of the Lord" when you have read it.

Some bits are very clearly not the word of the Lord.

[ 27. June 2012, 12:12: Message edited by: shamwari ]

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
Read the lot. But dont always add "This is the word of the Lord" when you have read it.

I can't agree with you, but I appreciate what you mean. If you hold the Bible as a whole to be the Word of God, that's OK by me. I would never describe a few words or phrases as being the words of God, because you cannot take any verse, book or even testament separately from all the others. You can, legimately, treat a verse as a starting point when preaching or leading a study, but you must do so fully aware of the whole of scripture.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:

Some bits are very clearly the words of Darius, or Herod, or the Sons of Korah, or the fool who said in their heart "there is no God". But it is the word of the Lord that those are words of Darius, or Herod, or the Sons of Korah, or the fool.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Some bits are very clearly the words of Darius, or Herod, or the Sons of Korah, or the fool who said in their heart "there is no God". But it is the word of the Lord that those are words of Darius, or Herod, or the Sons of Korah, or the fool.

So you would say that it is the Word of the Lord that Christ is the Word of the Lord, not scripture?

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
So you would say that it is the Word of the Lord that Christ is the Word of the Lord, not scripture?

I would say that you are using the word "word" in two different ways in that sentence.

--------------------
Ken

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Old Covenant is dead, fulfilled. So NONE of it applies to Christians APART from that which is redeemed, transcendent, amplified, deconstructed, distilled to its spirit essence in the New.

Not that the New invalidates the Old retrospectively in any way. Time travel doesn't work that way.

We can only go forward. Only reach out from the New.

With open arms on the narrow way between the extremes of modernist left and right, which are natural responses to our desperate brokenness.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I meant ( and thought was obvious,) was that you dont read "The Lord said to Samuel 'Now go and smite Amalek.....' and then follow it by "This is the word of the Lord"

As the meerkat would say 'Simple'.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree that it's not about "leaving bits out," but rather reading all the texts in a contextual way. The "all or nothing" fundamentalist mentality is, IMHO, either just lazy thinking or else a developmental limitation of people who have difficulty with anything other than concrete thinking.

I'd encourage the individual being quoted to actually read biblical commentaries by real biblical scholars in order to develop a more contextual understanding of Scripture. And to follow what they taught us in class about engaging with Scripture: What does the text say? What does the text mean? What does the text mean for me/my faith community at this time? That methodology keeps Scripture alive and dynamic, not a dead letter "book of regs."

Oh -- and I'd also encourage that person to study Scripture from a Jewish perspective -- a far more fluid and lively/less angsty engagement than many Christians can manage with our own canon.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
...link to a favorite post of Josephine's from seven years ago...

That post of Josephine's, seven years on, remains one of the best things I've read on SoF.

Perhaps this is annoyingly pedantic, but in the 1979 BCP the readers says, "The Word of the Lord" at the end of the lesson, not "This is the Word of the Lord."

And, the meerkat would be simple and wrong.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
Perhaps this is annoyingly pedantic, but in the 1979 BCP the readers says, "The Word of the Lord" at the end of the lesson, not "This is the Word of the Lord."

But there is a pond difference here, I think. On this side of the Atlantic, where the 1979 BCP is not officially used, Anglicans, and those Methodists who use a liturgical response to the reading would normally use "This is the Word of the Lord."
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bax
Shipmate
# 16572

- Posted      Profile for Bax   Email Bax   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pass.

I think I've got Marcion's mobile phone number somewhere if that would help...

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given the amount of tacit support for slavery in the bible, start with the idea that you need to repudiate parts of it or you need to support slavery.

Then follow Jesus' advice. "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" Use that as the lens to read the bible through.

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just quickly:

I don't think you have to repudiate parts of the Scriptures because of "tacit support for slavery", the writers (particularly NT) weren't addressing the justice of it, but the Christianity of the slave so held, or even the slave holder. 'Twas a different world.

I like Josephine's legendary post as well, but would like to add that love requires us to confront the sin of another, while ever mindful of our own; both Christ and the writers of the epistles command it and talk about how to do it. It requires a relationship of trust, and of willingness to receive correction. Active love is always looking for a way to make solid, trusting, loving relationships in which the "building up of one another" can take place in an atmosphere of support and accountability - not feeling like you are someone's "mission field", but are actually, fully loved in SPITE of your sin, however minor or major, venial or mortal...!

That the church is lax in confronting some behaviors doesn't excuse others. Further, condemning a person's sin is not condemning the person, though often it feels that way or is done indelicately and actually IS that way... the old saw, "if you find a perfect church, don't join it, you'll ruin it" applies here.

And, when it comes to the church Gossip, when s/he attempts to pass along a juicy tidbit, a gently loving correction is often just to ask, "Why are you telling me this?"

Blessings,

Tom

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TomOfTarsus:
And, when it comes to the church Gossip, when s/he attempts to pass along a juicy tidbit, a gently loving correction is often just to ask, "Why are you telling me this?"

I believe "purely for prayer" is the accepted response (sometimes delivered pre-emptively).
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always like to remember that the sequence is:
Jesus => disciples => followers => community => bible written down. (You can reorder it a bit or insert more things in the sequence, but it does start with Jesus always.) Nothing of this is original with me, and if I've strayed with how I'm writing this, someone can please set it to rights.

Where the catholic positions (small c here, inclusive of RC but not exclusive of lots of others) have it right is that we must consider the person of Christ in all ways transmitted to us: book, tradition, wise teachings over time. None of these necessarily get precedence, and nothing is ahead of Jesus in the understanding. Thus, persuasive ideas with proof texting and textual criticism must not be jumped into as factual or something to follow no matter how appealing to either intellect or feeling. Thus, I see myself as potentially open to consider everything, but thinking about something and even enjoying the ideas does not mean accepting them.

Thus, there are possibilities of interpreting stories within the bible as contrary to what we know of the person of Jesus, and we must be careful not to take Jesus out of our minds for even an instant when reading and deciding what is true.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
If you hold the Bible as a whole to be the Word of God, that's OK by me. I would never describe a few words or phrases as being the words of God, because you cannot take any verse, book or even testament separately from all the others. You can, legimately, treat a verse as a starting point when preaching or leading a study, but you must do so fully aware of the whole of scripture.

This sounds a lot more reasonable than it seems to be in practice. For example, it provides the basis for those foul interpretations of the two competing nativity stories in Matthew and Luke as really being one story -- "we must take the scriptures as a whole, so Luke just failed to mention that the Holy family fled to Egypt to avoid the uninteresting detail of the slaughter of the innocents." ISTM that insisting on taking the collection of views that scripture represents "as a whole" forces one into a wildly distorted view of what each of the Biblical writers is actually saying.

--Tom Clune

--------------------

TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:
quote:
Originally posted by TomOfTarsus:

I believe "purely for prayer" is the accepted response (sometimes delivered pre-emptively).
HA! Yeah, I can sure understand you there. So next step would be a little more pointed, such as "How do you think "X" would feel about me knowing this?" Ya gotta make'em squirm a bit; love isn't always easy...!

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
If you hold the Bible as a whole to be the Word of God, that's OK by me. I would never describe a few words or phrases as being the words of God, because you cannot take any verse, book or even testament separately from all the others. You can, legimately, treat a verse as a starting point when preaching or leading a study, but you must do so fully aware of the whole of scripture.

This sounds a lot more reasonable than it seems to be in practice. For example, it provides the basis for those foul interpretations of the two competing nativity stories in Matthew and Luke as really being one story -- "we must take the scriptures as a whole, so Luke just failed to mention that the Holy family fled to Egypt to avoid the uninteresting detail of the slaughter of the innocents." ISTM that insisting on taking the collection of views that scripture represents "as a whole" forces one into a wildly distorted view of what each of the Biblical writers is actually saying.

--Tom Clune

If people want to put a spin on scripture to suit their nefarious purposes we can't do much about that. In history we regularly handle multiple sources and we should do the same with scripture. Moreover, when considering the scriptures that appear to directly contradict each other, usually by omission, we still need to be aware of the rest of scripture.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@ Tom Clune,

I'm not sure why you think that the interpretation you describe is "foul". I'm no inerrantist, but the accounts read to me like those of two different "witnesses" (or probably reportage of two different witnesses) of the same events. Any two witnesses of that same event will recall those details that stood out at the time, or those to which subsequent events have given added significance. That's what human memory does; we shouldn't be surprised.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only problem in this instance is the only first hand witness to the nativity left (that we know of) was his mom. How would she put aside from her memory either the visit from the shepherds or the flight to Egypt? Okay, maybe while she was recovering from the birth, the shepherd's visit was a blur, but surely it became one of those family legends since Joseph was there, too.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
@ Tom Clune,

I'm not sure why you think that the interpretation you describe is "foul".

Well, it was the one I was raised on, and I believe that it blinded me to the meaning of much of scripture before it finally dawned on me that there was nothing sacred in that hermeneutic. If the church were to recognize that there are many ways to open up the scriptures, and present alternative hermeneutics, it would do a great service to the people in the pews. I am not opposed to the "unified theory of scripture" any more than I am opposed to inerrantism. What I do find a serious stumbling block is the way that an arbitrary hermeneutic is lifted up as the way, the truth, and the life.

--Tom Clune

[ 27. June 2012, 17:52: Message edited by: tclune ]

--------------------

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday's Morning Prayer reading was about the story of the sons of Korah being swallowed alive by the earth, along with their wives and their little ones.

What exactly pray tell, is the lesson? To not question the religious leadership, i.e. Moses? I hardly think that that lesson is edifying in today's context where we have many religious leaders engulfed in scandal.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Crśsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crśsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
Yesterday's Morning Prayer reading was about the story of the sons of Korah being swallowed alive by the earth, along with their wives and their little ones.

What exactly pray tell, is the lesson? To not question the religious leadership, i.e. Moses? I hardly think that that lesson is edifying in today's context where we have many religious leaders engulfed in scandal.

It's all a matter of perspective. Whether that lesson is regarded as "edifying" depends a great deal on whether you're behind the pulpit or in front of it.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
The Old Covenant is dead, fulfilled.

Hmm. Are those last two words synonyms?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
quote:

--Tom Clune

If people want to put a spin on scripture to suit their nefarious purposes we can't do much about that. In history we regularly handle multiple sources and we should do the same with scripture. Moreover, when considering the scriptures that appear to directly contradict each other, usually by omission, we still need to be aware of the rest of scripture.
Sorry, I don't see how omission can result in direct contradiction (and I didn't when tclune suggested it before you, either). If a passage says B, another passage can only contradict it by actually saying 'not B', not by failing to mention B at all.

If one gospel says the Holy Family fled to Egypt, then a second gospel failing to mention Egypt isn't a contradiction, without more. The second gospel has to say "they never left the country", or provide a chronology that has no gap large enough in it for a flight to Egypt.

It's a basic point of logic that doesn't seem to get much traction these days, and I don't just mean with the Bible. The media CONSTANTLY bombards us with juicy stories where 2 different sources said different things, and pitches it as some kind of disagreement or contradiction (X said this... BUT Y said this... OMG WE HAVE A STORY!) when in fact the 2 different statements are entirely capable of both being true.

--------------------

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
If one gospel says the Holy Family fled to Egypt, then a second gospel failing to mention Egypt isn't a contradiction, without more. The second gospel has to say "they never left the country", or provide a chronology that has no gap large enough in it for a flight to Egypt.

You mean like saying that Jesus was presented at the temple after His birth and then the family went back home to Nazareth? If only we could find an account like that...

--Tom Clune

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

I was intending to point out the principle of logic, not argue the specific event. Whether the particular example passes or fails the test isn't what I was focusing on.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, Tom, still don't see the contradiction. As I said, I'm not an inerrantist, but it seems to me that the most likely timeline is that, after the birth, Jesus is presented at the Temple on the way back to Nazereth, they lived there for a year or so, (the visit of the Magi probably takes place during this period; they visit Jesus in a house, not an inn), a bit later the Family flee to Egypt. There must have been a considerable passage of time here, else why would Herod order the death of toddlers, not newborns, according to the time he (Herod) had learned from the Magi (Matthew 2:16 .

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Referring back to the OP, this is an example of how we (as lay-people), or even clergy, cannot be trusted to interpret the Bible as individuals.

IMO we have to trust the interpretation of the Church (eg. the Church Fathers), otherwise we could end up swinging towards one of two extremes:

1. Bigotry ŕ la Westboro Baptist Church, where we pick on particular sins and blow them out of all proportion, whilst minimising other sins.
  2. Extreme liberalism, where we pick-and-mix from the Bible and other sources, ending up with nothing remotely like the Faith Once Delivered to the Saints.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

^ Yes, true. I've certainly heard it pointed out a number of times that it's highly unlikely the Magi were actually turning up at the manger, regardless of the nativity plays you might have seen. The text clearly indicates that Herod is killing 2-year-olds, which simply doesn't fit with the 'Three Wise Men' rocking up shortly after the shepherds.

[X-post. Dammit Mark Betts, how did you get in there?! [Biased] ]

[ 28. June 2012, 07:22: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tom, JJ & Orfeo

During the second year of my Chemistry degree I managed to persuade the Dean of the Science Faculty to let me read Theology as my subsidiary for the year. (Long story and it seems a long time ago now. I doubt if you could get away with it today.)

Anyway, doing a year of theology in a secular university was fascinating for a young evangelical such as myself. It was a small course mostly consisting of history and english students who were vaguely curious. The majority would not have called themselves Christians but were there purely out of academic interest. There were only two of us on the course who would identify as evangelical. I really enjoyed it and learnt a lot.

One seminar on the differences between the Lord's Prayer in Matthew and Luke is lodged in my memory. Our lecturer lost his temper with us (kept calling us Quakers which he seemed to think was some kind of insult) because we did not accept his premise that the differences must prove that the two gospels directly contradicted themselves.

Very few of the class were inerrantists (if any). There was certainly no great support for any evangelical reading. It was just that the students had a healthy scepticism of the Professor's scepticism. I'd say the same about the birth narratives.

Tom, I think JJ and Orfeo are simply asking you to apply the same level of scepticism to your own reconstruction.

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
[X-post. Dammit Mark Betts, how did you get in there?! [Biased] ]

No no, not at all! I'm quite enjoying the Nativity tangent!

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
None of it should be discarded; as Mark Betts has said, 'the foaming fundagelical' and the 'Godless librul' are alike guilty of their own particular pick'n'mix'n'discard approach to Scripture. But sound exegesis and hermeneutics must be applied to all Scripture too. [Biased] (=of course, there let the debate as to what constitutes sound exegesis and hermeneutics begin...!)

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

I think one of the fundamental principles in interpreting scripture is to understand that it is not a "manual for Godly living", nor a theology textbook, or any other modernist ideal, but rather a place where the living God chooses to meet with us. We wrestle with the text, not so much that we might understand it (though that is a part), but that, in the process, we might get to know Him, the living word. It is in the process of engaging with the text that God reveals himself. As the scripture says, "All scripture is inspired....", that is, it is inspired in the reading as much as in the writing.

This is not to say that we can't derive theology or ethics, for example, from the Bible, only that if that is all we do, we miss the central truth that the main purpose of the written word is to bear witness to the Living Word.

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Sorry, Tom, still don't see the contradiction. As I said, I'm not an inerrantist, but it seems to me that the most likely timeline is that, after the birth, Jesus is presented at the Temple on the way back to Nazereth, they lived there for a year or so, (the visit of the Magi probably takes place during this period; they visit Jesus in a house, not an inn), a bit later the Family flee to Egypt. There must have been a considerable passage of time here, else why would Herod order the death of toddlers, not newborns, according to the time he (Herod) had learned from the Magi (Matthew 2:16 .

Anyway, back to Nativity theology, I rather like this view and it makes perfect sense to me. To my knowledge, Luke's and Matthew's accounts have always been understood by the Church to comprise of One Nativity story.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

My own suspicion - not my own original idea of course but one that I find persuasive from the text - is that the two nativity stories are written round each other, the author of one already knew the other and deliberately filled in the gaps. Like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead [Biased]

Of course if that's true one must have come first. Everybody's always assumed that Matthew is the older Gospel but it could just as well have been the Luke story.

--------------------
Ken

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
I agree that it's not about "leaving bits out," but rather reading all the texts in a contextual way. The "all or nothing" fundamentalist mentality is, IMHO, either just lazy thinking or else a developmental limitation of people who have difficulty with anything other than concrete thinking.

I think this is a bit unfair. Fundamentalists and literalists and inerrantists and evangelicals don't believe the things they believe because they are stupid or have some sort of mental disability.

Anyway, preachers and commentators and scholars from that side of the fence often stress the importance of reading the whole of a text rather than snippets, and of reading different kinds of writing - poetry, prophecy, history and so on - in the appropriate way, and warning against proof-texting (not that everyone takes heed of the last one) Its part of their cultural tradition of reading the Bible.

--------------------
Ken

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

Another point to note is that the Matthean account comes from the perspective of Joseph (presumably by way of James, the Lord's brother), whereas the Lucan account traces Mary's story, presumably via either herself or John the evangelist.

--------------------

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
Sorry, Tom, still don't see the contradiction.

And that's exactly the point -- if it were anything other than Holy scripture and anyone read these two separate accounts and said that they were so much as talking about the same thing, they would be placed on medication.

The real point isn't that one or the other of the Gospels "got it wrong," but that the notion that they were relaying history is indefensible. ANY examination of the plausibility of EITHER version demonstrates that there is overwhelming eveidence that neither story could possibly be accurate. But the Church seems to demand that we swallow this crap as proof that we are "faithful," which seems to be a synomym for "stupid."

Instead, we can look for other ways of reading these accounts. It makes perfect sense to me to see both Gospel accounts as "overtures" to their respective Gospels -- Matthew is arguing exactly what the hymn says: that Christ is "king and priest and sacrifice," and foreshadows that with his birth narrative. Luke sees a totally different Christ, and has Him come from humble origins (poor Mary & Joseph who can only afford the pigeon scarifice, only the scum of society show up to His birth, etc.)

The violence done to what the GOSPEL WRITERS are trying to say by demanding the stupidest posssible distorting of their narratives is not faithful -- at least not faithful to the Gospels -- it is an act of blind obedience to a willful and often evil institution. If people actually come to believe that inerrancy or uniformity are the principles that best suit their appreciation of the scriptrues, fine. But these hermeneutics don't grow organically out of the Gospels -- they grow organically out of the fetid soil of Church politics. Or so ISTM.

--Tom Clune

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

@Tom Clune
Sorry, but you do seem to be saying that anyone who doesn't subscribe to this newfangled interpretation is stupid. No-one is saying that you are not allowed to hold these views, but they are certainly not suddenly the only acceptable intelligent interpretation in this day.

I would not call you stupid for believing you are right, but I would beg to differ.

--------------------

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And that's exactly the point -- if it were anything other than Holy scripture and anyone read these two separate accounts and said that they were so much as talking about the same thing, they would be placed on medication.

The real point isn't that one or the other of the Gospels "got it wrong," but that the notion that they were relaying history is indefensible. ANY examination of the plausibility of EITHER version demonstrates that there is overwhelming eveidence that neither story could possibly be accurate. But the Church seems to demand that we swallow this crap as proof that we are "faithful," which seems to be a synomym for "stupid."

[Paranoid] I don't remember my theology Professor having a 'merican accent, but it was a long time ago.

So you moved and changed your name. What else is new?

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
How does one decide to choose the proof-texts that dominate your life? Does one have to choose those that damage other people?

Short answer: you don't. The use of proof texts is one short step away from bibliomancy. But if you're asking the very different question you asked in the thread title:
quote:
Which bits of the Bible MUST be included and which left out?
My answer is you must include the whole thing in your thinking. The good and the bad. The stuff that makes your heart soar and the stuff that makes your stomach heave. You include every bloody dot and every bastard tittle. And then you wrestle with it. Wrestle with it like Jacob wrestled with the angel, and as if your life depended on it. Because it does.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
I would not call you stupid for believing you are right, but I would beg to differ.

FWIW, I don't have any opinion on your intelligence whatsoever. But you might enjoy reading each Gospel account through individually all at one sitting, and see what you think. It isn't easy to step back and let the text speak without the overlay of interpretation we have all received, but it can be an intriguing exercise.

One of the great disservices the Church does to the nativity story is insist on retelling the story by merging the two accounts into one "lessons and carols" mish-mash. We have been fed on this for so long we actually don't usually know what story came from which Gospel -- and the stories are stunningly different, even if you ultimately decide that they are in some way really saying the same thing.

--Tom Clune

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Adeodatus [Overused]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aye Orfeo, they're synonyms - dead, fulfilled, obsolete, null and void, settled, the decree is absolute, it's over.

Which raises the question, assuming one doesn't just Enlightenedly, liberally, modernly, rationalize it all away, as to the nature of the killer God who ruled Israel with a rod of iron and who surrendered to the culture He had forged to transcend it by letting it kill Him on our behalf all ways.

What's the metanarrative ? That DOESN'T merely rationalize and take an evolutionary view, explaining away the horrors as our projection and leads to liberal projection, typified by the great Tutu, now.

As the OC is dead, it cannot be used paradoxically legalistically by liberals to rebel against the narrow way of Christ. We cannot justify sexual liberalism biblically by saying that the Jews couldn't eat shellfish or wear mixed fibres.

Modern, selective, incomplete, legalistic interpretations of divorce aren't shared by postmodern conservative believers either and can't be used to say that because Christians are 'liberal' on divorce they must be about sexual expression.

We have to work this out anew.

And you're spot on about the unnumbered Magi, there may have been 2 or 15 of them: they didn't show up at the manger but much later, after six weeks and less than two years.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
originally posted by Tom Clune

No they wouldn't. They'd be thought to have read them as two separate accounts of the birth of a Child called Jesus to parents called Mary and Joseph in a town called Bethlehem. You'd pretty much be prescribed meds if you suggested that they did not refer to the same event, however accurately or inaccurately.

Now I understand your main point about not forcing the facts to fit the theology, but to try to cite two eminently complementary accounts in the service of making that point seems to me to be somewhat forced.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016