homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Life? I prefer reading. (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Life? I prefer reading.
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
People say that life's the thing, but I prefer reading (Langdon Smith).

So what's enlarging your grey matter in twenty twelve, and why?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
the pile next to the bed is epic.

Awkward Bitch: my life with MS - a good first person account. she describes what has always felt indescribable to me. if you know someone with MS and want an idea of some of the weird shit they deal with, it's a good book for that.

I've been reading The Primal Blueprint. not very sexy but very educational.

I got a new Stella Rimington for Christmas. Can't remember the title and I'm not near my book pile. But so far it's great. love me some espionage.

Carpe Diem - a book on learning latin. the teen and I are tackling it together this spring.

Game of Thrones is sitting there looking at me. a friend insisted. I'll get to it.

I have three scripts I'm in the midst of, particular Agnes of God which we're producing this spring. That's what I keep diving into when I lay down. I'm intimidated by the part.

I thin there's more, but those are the main ones.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just finished two: Prachett's newest, Snuff, and Carl Hiaasin's Hoot.

Snuff was absolutely worth a read, but not IMO, one of Prachett's better efforts. Some good funny bits, and lots of Sam Vimes being Sam Vimes but a little too heavy handed for my taste.

Hoot was Hiaasin's first foray into the teen market and he managed to tell a neat story, complete with all the weird quirky Florida characters you expect from him, without the sex and violence of his adult books.

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

- Posted      Profile for Pure Sunshine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:

Glad it's not just me then. I buy books (mostly from second-hand sales for 50p each) more quickly than I read them.

At the moment, it's The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky - someone recommended it to me in the year 2000, I promptly bought it, and only began it this year (it's still 2011 here ...). First time I've ever read any Russian literature, I think.

I confess I'm getting confused about who a lot of the minor characters are, but it's pretty absorbing - I think I'm finding the theological chapters to be easier to follow than the plot itself!

Posts: 472 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Peppone
Marine
# 3855

- Posted      Profile for Peppone   Email Peppone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm reading Elmore Leonard's Cuba Libre via kindle app; plus a mixed bag of running and cycling books. Looking forward to the next instalment of Game of Thrones (I think I am up to A Feast for Crows.)

--------------------
I looked at the wa's o' Glasgow Cathedral, where vandals and angels painted their names,
I was clutching at straws and wrote your initials, while parish officials were safe in their hames.

Posts: 3020 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not sure I agree with the title of this thread - reading IS part of life - you engage with real people and their ideas. In real life, a lot of our conversations are superficial. With a book, you can ponder rather than respond rapidly.

In common with another shipmate, I have just finished a slow, lingering read of At Home with God – P. Roker

A DIY retreat book with some thought-provoking pen-portraits of people who met Jesus.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just finished Mr Golightly's Holiday by Salley Vickers. I'm always moved and amused by her, but I'll have to work out the take on God here.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was given Bluestockings by Jane Robinson for Christmas and I've finished it already. As the subtitle says, it's the story of the first women to gain a university education and is really well-written. Any woman who didn't think twice about getting a degree should read it and give thanks that they were born in this age. [Smile]

--------------------
Never stand behind satan in a Post Office queue: the devil takes many forms.

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Illuminated Page, by Janet Backhouse, who is Curator of Illuminated Manuscripts at the British Library. I was given this book a few years ago and am looking through it again. This covers the best of 10 centuries of illuminated manuscripts, and what a rich, sumptuous visual feast it is. You have to go slowly - the illustrations are exquisite and so beautifully detailed that it takes quite a while to go through the book but if you like this sort of thing you couldn't ask for a better book.

What is particularly striking is the level of craftsmanship - there are some pleasingly uneven illustrations, but not one example of something done the modern way with Photoshop or Illustrator, everything is a unique, one-off hand-drawn original.

Bernard Mahler
Shipmate
# 10852

- Posted      Profile for Bernard Mahler   Email Bernard Mahler   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Barbara Pym and Robertson Davies. Both new to me. Trying omnia opera.

--------------------
"What does it matter? All is grace" Georges Bernanos

Posts: 622 | From: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've done rather well out of Christmas. Not only did I buy some holiday reading (Game of Thrones (but as an ebook, so not sure about that one yet), Hare with the Amber Eyes and First Among Sequels), I've been given The Invention of Hugo Cabret and City of Bones and found a real bookshop whilst at the beach and have The Short History of Christianity too.

Shame I have to go back to work on Tuesday. [Waterworks]

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I got Alice Hoffman's The Dovekeepers for Christmas. I haven't started it yet, and I admit to feeling a little nervous about it, since it seems like such a departure for her (it's a historical novel about Masada). But next week...

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have been reading a wide variety of things, including:

--Reread "Six Of One", by Rita Mae Brown. It will be the January Heaven book group selection.

--"Walls Within Walls", a children's mystery.

--Reread various of Terry Pratchett's Disc World books.

--Read Rita Mae Brown's "Christmas Clawed" mystery.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now that I have a lovely new color Kindle to play with, I'm planning on cracking into my library of classics (when I got my first machine I went through Great Books lists to compile a list of classic works I should/would like to read before I kick off this mortal coil, then downloaded all the free/cheap copies of same) and amusing genre literature, namely mysteries. (I enjoy the Nevada Barr mysteries featuring a female National Park Service ranger with extraordinary sleuthing skills/derring-do whose ranger job sends her all around the country to various nationally protected lands.) I also like Julia Spencer-Fleming's crime novels featuring a female Marine-turned-Episcopal-priest who, despite serving in a bucolic New England small town, is constantly stumbling upon heinous crimes and solving them, with the assistance of a local sheriff who is also kind of an on-again/off-again romantic interest.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pure Sunshine:
quote:

Glad it's not just me then. I buy books (mostly from second-hand sales for 50p each) more quickly than I read them.

At the moment, it's The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky - someone recommended it to me in the year 2000, I promptly bought it, and only began it this year (it's still 2011 here ...). First time I've ever read any Russian literature, I think.

I confess I'm getting confused about who a lot of the minor characters are, but it's pretty absorbing - I think I'm finding the theological chapters to be easier to follow than the plot itself!

Hugely demanding, and as you say especially the minor characters, with their incomprehensible and unpronounceble patrynomics, but with Crime and Punishment, Les Miserables, and Ullyses (ye gods I'm a pretentious git!) it is in my absolute inner sanctum of the highest moments of human literature.

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

It's thirty years since I read The Idea of the Holy ... perhaps I'll take it in this time

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Holey moley ... 65 pages in already, and I can't put it down. That didn't happen thirty years ago!

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had a Kindle for Christmas [Big Grin] and as well as getting a couple of (free) Dickens onto it, I yesterday got Penelope Lively's "Moon Tiger" which I've had in the back of my mind to read for ages but never managed it.

I was also given "A Short History of England" by Simon Jenkins but haven't felt able to tackle it quite yet.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I decided to re-read Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond books a few weeks back, on the grounds that I probably over-looked things when I read them first and I'm an inveterate re-reader anyway. I finished The Disorderly Knights at my parents over Christmas and was unable to track down their copy of Pawn in Frankincense so bought a second-hand copy from eBay. It arrived yesterday, so I am about to reach 16th century Algiers with Francis Crawford, Philippa Somerville and the other characters.

Real life can go away for a bit, I'm busy...

Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fear and Trust: God-centred Leadership – D. Runcorn

‘Leadership’ is all the vogue in churches these days, usually borrowing outmoded models from business and industry. The author uses the first and second books of Samuel to consider styles of servant leadership, contrasted with the secular model which people wanted when they demanded a king.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Finishing up Simon Sebag-Montifiore's "Jerusalem: The Biography". Highly recommend it.

Next in line is Terry Pratchett's "Snuff" and Umberto Eco's "The Prague Cemetery".

I tend to flip back and forth between non-fiction and fiction. Indeed, I usually have at least one of each going at the same time.

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kyzyl:
... Umberto Eco's "The Prague Cemetery" ...

Ooh, let us know! It's ages since I've read any Eco. I think I was one of the four people who liked Foucault's Pendulum.

I've been having a bit of innocent fun over the hols, re-reading some Sherlock Holmes stories. Amazing how many I'd completely forgotten about. I was going to have a Christmassy read of some M R James ghost stories, but I was in the house on my own so I had to stop ... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a conference coming up which means lots of air travel. The Eco is going to be my travel book, so I'll do my report pretty soon!

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Finishing up Simon Sebag-Montifiore's "Jerusalem: The Biography". Highly recommend it.

Next in line is Terry Pratchett's "Snuff" and Umberto Eco's "The Prague Cemetery".

I tend to flip back and forth between non-fiction and fiction. Indeed, I usually have at least one of each going at the same time.

The Jerusalem book is brilliant and treats the Arabs well (given that the author is Jewish). I am hoping to read Eco's book soon (not least because i have been top the cemetery in question).

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I want this - I put in a pre-order on Amazon but the paperback isn't due out until March. The TV programme has been pretty good, though.
Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Reading Plan B - the fourth of the Liaden universe novels. Striking in that the authors only intended to write three novels, in which they left lots of lovely hanging threads that they never intended to sort out. The fourth novel was the result of pressure from fans on the internet, giving the authors the headache of trying to bring all those threads together. Doing pretty well so far (about half way through) but I should have re-read the other three books first.

Looking forward to Jasper Fforde's Shades of Grey on the 11 hour flight to San Francisco in three weeks time.

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another person with a new Kindle, so my fiction reading will probably be fairly classic for a bit. At the moment, I am reading Conrad's Secret Agent. I have never read anything by him before and I am surprised by how much I am enjoying it. Any recommendations for what else of his I should read will be welcome!

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

- Posted      Profile for Pure Sunshine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

The Jerusalem book is brilliant and treats the Arabs well (given that the author is Jewish).
Good to have the recommendations! I saw the documentary and was glued to the screen. I'm starting to read a lot of travel literature, especially related to the Mediterranean countries, so I'd love to have a clearer idea of the history of Jerusalem (which the programme certainly gave, though a book would be even better).

Dal Segno - let us know if you think Shades of Grey is any good - I love Fforde's Thursday Next series (I'm about to start the latest instalment), so I might see if that's worth reading too.

Posts: 472 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just finished re-reading Sarum and now on to London by Edward Rutherfurd for the umpteenth time.

[ 02. January 2012, 03:10: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:
Originally posted by Pure Sunshine:
quote:

Hugely demanding, and as you say especially the minor characters, with their incomprehensible and unpronounceble patrynomics, but with Crime and Punishment, Les Miserables, and Ullyses (ye gods I'm a pretentious git!) it is in my absolute inner sanctum of the highest moments of human literature.
There's a "Peanuts" cartoon from the the 1960s in which Linus tells Charlie Brown that he's reading The Brothers Karamazov. Charlie Brown says, "But don't you get confused by all those long Russian names?" Linus says, "Oh, when I come to one I can't pronounce, I just bleep over it."

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
[QB] Ooh, let us know! It's ages since I've read any Eco. I think I was one of the four people who liked Foucault's Pendulum.

Besides you and me, who were the other two?

--------------------
  - C. P. Snow

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well I'm person three who liked Focault's Pendulum!

At the moment though I'm just finishing up my who-knows-how-many-times reread of The Lord of the Rings.

And waiting after that is Explosive 18 by Janet Evanovich, and Mastiff by Tamera Pierce. Neither I suppose high in intellectuality but both should be fun as all get-out. Janet Evanovich is just crazy surrealistic fun, and Tamera Pierce is good young adult fantasy.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Just finished re-reading Sarum and now on to London by Edward Rutherfurd for the umpteenth time.

I love his books. Wasn't so keen, however, on Russka.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemrw:
Well I'm person three who liked Focault's Pendulum!

And I'm person four.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On book three of the Game of Thrones series. Not enough romance but otherwise quite gripping.

And a penguin classic Reader on Nietzsche for my non-fiction component.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
quote:
[QB] Ooh, let us know! It's ages since I've read any Eco. I think I was one of the four people who liked Foucault's Pendulum.

... and Nicolemrw, and leo ...

Well, who'd have thought we'd all end up on the Ship? Seriously, I got the impression Pendulum was very badly liked. It seems to get called 'pretentious postmodern nonsense' and that sort of thing. Personally, I thought it was funny, clever, and a cracking good adventure story.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

(By the way, is it only a matter of time before someone plagiarises this thread as "Life? I prefer Reading"? I lived there for a while in the 80s. It was mostly nicer than Slough.)

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I liked Foucault's Pendulum too - but I did get a bit bogged down with some of his later stuff. Was it The Island of the Day Before?

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have to get in my 'for fun' reading during breaks as once the semester starts, I'll have too much reading to do for class for reading to be a relaxation option.

I'm currently reading Twelfth Night for my fiction (not my original plan, but I have tickets for a production later this month and thought a read might be worthwhile).

As we enter the liturgical year of Mark, I realized I'd never read a Mark commentary cover-to-cover, so I'm reading through Donahue & Harrington.

I'm also trying to learn some Kreyol as I'll be in Haiti for a while this coming summer.

I reckon three books are enough for one time, but if I finish one, I've got Bob Barron's Catholicism book to read.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Carpe Diem - a book on learning latin. the teen and I are tackling it together this spring.

I don't know quite why... but this brings me great joy! Feel free to pm with questions, or maybe start a thread.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Meet my favourite new solution to slow days in the office.

Currently ploughing through Great Expectations. Can't believe people told me Dickens was turgid.

I also have Richard Fortey's Dry Store Room n° 1 for the metro (about the natural history museum), and for Christmas I got a book about Bach's cello suites and Julius Norwich's history of the Papacy. Haven't started yet, though - I'm usually more a one-book-at-a-time kind of girl.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Reading "Men are Stupid, Women are Crazy", collected articles by the late Australian/American columnist Peter Reuhl. Lots of fun and memories havingread his work over the years, but will need to take a break from it I think, to avoid overloading.

Just reread The Invention of Hugo Cabret in preparation for seeing the film, Hugo.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Got a lovely lot of books for Christmas...

Over the holidays I've finished a rather odd German children's book, Conditions of Faith by Alex Miller, and The Herring in the Library by L.C. Tyler.

Conditions of Faith was very good - it's about a young Australian woman living in Paris at the turn of the Twentieth century and her struggle to maintain an intellectual life when society expects her to settle down into a conventional marriage. I really didn't know what to expect when I started it, but really would recommend it.

The Herring in the Library was suitably silly for light Christmas reading - the third in a series of comic crime stories, spoofing the Golden Age authors, esp Christie.

[ 02. January 2012, 20:36: Message edited by: Keren-Happuch ]

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm reading Unseen Academicals by my hero, Terry Pratchett. A brill satire on the game of football.

(On my Kindle - of course [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

The graphic novel V is for Vendetta - A. Moore & D. Lloyd because I enjoyed the film - about a modern day Guy Fawkes blowing up the Houses of Parliament in a totalitarian Britain.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, who'd have thought we'd all end up on the Ship? Seriously, I got the impression Pendulum was very badly liked. It seems to get called 'pretentious postmodern nonsense' and that sort of thing. Personally, I thought it was funny, clever, and a cracking good adventure story.

Actually, make that five. Like Pynchon, Eco sometimes (okay, often) uses the slew of semiotic nonsense to make a point, to deliberately force you to slog through piles of minutia and seeming triviality. Yes, the plot summary would be the same with or without the strange Brazilian voodoo scene, but the atmosphere of impending and developing insanity would be gone. If you're following around characters who look for connections between everything, seeing things through their eyes, you'd better look at things as they do—which is going to involve a lot of slogging.

The same thing makes sense in Name of the Rose, since the whole "everyone's a sign" thing is very late medieval/Scholastic (cf. Isadore of Seville's whole book of folk etymologies that gets constantly cited by Aquinas, etc.) It also makes more sense if you've read some of Eco's philosophical work, especially "Intentio Lecoris: the State of the Art." I'm still meaning to read Prague Cemetery, but, while it was a medievalist's cameo fest, Baudilano just didn't have the sort of semiotic nuttiness needed to pull of Eco's habit of adding lots of philosophical debates and details. Yes, Umberto take a certain tolerance for pointless denseness as a literary device; yes, he does sometimes forget that, like all literary devices, it only works in some circumstances. When he turns into St. Dickens the Needlessly Turgid,* I stop forgiving him.

*Okay, Dickens needed the cash from being paid by the word, but still—it doesn't forgive the multitude of sins in Great Expectations. Sorry, lver.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I'm reading Unseen Academicals by my hero, Terry Pratchett. A brill satire on the game of football.

(On my Kindle - of course [Big Grin] )

Me too, only not for a kindle.

My family took a long hard look at my Amazon wish list this Christmas. The result being three Pratchetts - Wintersmith and Snuff to add to Unseen Academicals, The Annotated Turing and the SCM Study Guide on Theological Reflection.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by AristonAstuanax:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Actually, make that five.

And make that six. I thought Pendulum was wonderful--although not quite as good as The Name of the Rose. Eigon, I have to agree that The Island Of The Day Before was dire. That is what is keeping me from picking up Prague Cemetery--I seem to like each subsequent Eco book less than the one before it.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
maleveque
Shipmate
# 132

- Posted      Profile for maleveque   Email maleveque   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I got P.D. James's Jane Austen fan fiction, Death Comes to Pemberley for Christmas (by request - I love anything by Baroness James). I'm most of the way through. It's not particularly gripping, but it's good all the same. Mr Darcy *is* Adam Dalgliesh, I think.
- Anne L.

--------------------
Life isn't all fricasseed frogs and eel pie.

Posts: 1496 | From: Washington, DC or thereabouts | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm mid-essay reading, so for-fun reading has to be lighter than lighter than light. Just finished Adrian Mole: the Cappucino Years, which was rather good. Next stop may be something by Sarah Dunant, who's never let me down yet. Or maybe re-reading some Lindsey Davis, I need to give my Falco books away but I just can't bear to part with them...

[ 03. January 2012, 21:25: Message edited by: Jemima the 9th ]

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016