homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Inappropriate hold music

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Inappropriate hold music
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A furniture store here has Jim Noir's "Step on my patch", the entire (and oft-repeated) lyrics of which are:
quote:
If you ever step on my patch / I'll bring you down / I'll bring you down.
Nothing like a nice warm welcome to encourage you to buy things there...

I'm sure Shipmates must have some more examples.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few days ago I spent many half hours on hold with our local Symphony -- listening to scratchy recordings of pop and show tunes. Why not good recordings of classical music?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Because, dear little Pig (channelling Ron Weasley there), they cater to the masses, and everyone knows that masses are stupid.

My frequently called number has jazz ( I think). Music, no words, for which I am grateful,

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm deeply weary of Vivaldi's Four Seasons used as hold music. Especially Winter, with its drip, drip, drip theme.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am Tempted to say that ANY music is inappropriate - answer the bloody phone as i am too self-important to be left hanging around.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, ALL hold music is inappropriate, as are little mini-lectures on how often to change my oil or on filing a claim, etc. BECAUSE I AM TRYING TO GET SOME W*RK DONE WHILE I WAIT FOR YOU TO PICK UP YOUR %$&! PHONE.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the most annoying is when there is music, that I might just listen too mindlessly - not too offensive, or obtrusive - and they keep interrupting it at odd times with "thank you for continuing to hold. Your call is very important to us". I would rather just listen to the music, TBH.

Many years ago, I occasionally had to call Computer Associates (large software company). Their hold music was their own composition. I suppose it was appropriate, but it was also excruciating.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to invent an answering system that gives you a choice.

Press 1 for classical
Press 2 for classic rock
Press 3 for elevator music
Press 4 for annoying announcements over and over ("Your call is very important to us...")
Press 5 for blessed silence.

(ETA - cross-posted with the cool cat.)

[ 08. September 2012, 18:59: Message edited by: Pigwidgeon ]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
Yes, ALL hold music is inappropriate, as are little mini-lectures on how often to change my oil or on filing a claim, etc. BECAUSE I AM TRYING TO GET SOME W*RK DONE WHILE I WAIT FOR YOU TO PICK UP YOUR %$&! PHONE.

Yes, especially when the annoyingly cheerful voice is telling you to look on their website which might have the information you need... (deep breath)... when I've checked the blessed website and the thing I need can only be got via the phone!!!!

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or when you're calling because your internet is out and they keep telling you to check the website.

I agree, the interruptions are stupid - and counterproductive. They play music in the first place so you'll lose track of how long you're kept waiting on the phone. Regular interruptions remind you how long you've been waiting, they don't reassure you that you're still on hold. The music lets you know you're still on hold and haven't been cut off. Are they trying to make us grouchy so we'll be rude to their rep when they do finally take the call?

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Legend has it that some wonderful companies have an option "if you would prefer to hold without music, press the £ key".

My bank has
quote:
The moment I wake up, I put on my makeup and say a little prayer for you
[Paranoid]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thread reminds me of the church service where the background music to taking up the offering was 'I hear the sound of rustling.....'

[Razz]

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:

Press 1 for classical
Press 2 for classic rock
Press 4 for annoying announcements over and over ("Your call is very important to us...")

It's been done. I won't mention the name but a company I phone occasionally at work already has this. I do wonder to myself whether they answer one choice quicker than another.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr Image and I were having lunch in a Chinese restaurant and there was German band music playing over the sound system. When we asked our waiter about the music he was surprised to hear it was German and not just American music. Trust me fried rice does not taste the same with German band music in the background. [Disappointed]
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
Or when you're calling because your internet is out and they keep telling you to check the website.

I agree, the interruptions are stupid - and counterproductive. They play music in the first place so you'll lose track of how long you're kept waiting on the phone. Regular interruptions remind you how long you've been waiting, they don't reassure you that you're still on hold. The music lets you know you're still on hold and haven't been cut off. Are they trying to make us grouchy so we'll be rude to their rep when they do finally take the call?

No, it's a a result of research that showed people were less likely to ring off if they heard a human voice every so often. Apparently they failed to note you hang on because the voice is an indicator your call is about to be answered. A pre-recorded message doesn't give that impression.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I think the most annoying is when there is music, that I might just listen to mindlessly - not too offensive, or obtrusive - and they keep interrupting it at odd times with "thank you for continuing to hold. Your call is very important to us". I would rather just listen to the music, TBH.

I usually find myself thinking "If it's that important to you, why don't you answer it?"

I did once ring some organization some years ago now that told you "Your call is in a queue. There are X number of calls before you" which was actually quite useful, because you could then make a decision on whether to ring back later, or waste a chunk of your life. I don't think they do it any more though.

[ 09. September 2012, 07:37: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some years ago when working for a large German car chain, I had to create one of these.

This is when I found out that there are people who, for a living, record without trace of irony that 'your call is important to us', making themselves sound vaguely like someone you heard of who has authority of some kind, but being much cheaper than the real thing.

Also that there are a number of orchestras - let's call them the Outer Mongolian European Youth Ensemble - who record royalty-free versions of the Four Seasons etc for just such a purpose. If edited correctly, 'Why not have a pre-ski tyre check this season for only £500?' would cut in over some of the more glaring musical aberrations.

My excuse is that a) it was a long time ago b) it was the 80s and c)I needed the money.

Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Long ago, I worked as the service coordinator for a local computer company. There were times I could walk into the shop and hear the hold music for three or four computer manufacturers, all happily chirping away from various speakerphones. Luckily, they all played the same sort of bland, vaguely orchestral nonsense so it wasn't too bad.

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am with those who want no music. I am paying for this call all I want is help with my problem. I too have come across companies that tell you where you are on the queue and as you move up the they provide a ding sound y
to tell you.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once worked in an animation company and had to make calls to lots of TV stations in various countries that we were trying to sell the series to.

I rather enjoyed the Indian one (big blousy Bollywood type thing) and the music they play you in South Korea (I imagine it's traditional music but admit to thorough ignorance on this point) is flipping awesome. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Then there was --

'Suicide Hot Line - Can you hold please?' [Eek!]

Yes, of course, I'm sorry. I just couldn't resist. [Devil]

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Press 1 for classical
Press 2 for classic rock

Gateway Computers help had this in the 1990s. I recall the choices included progressive jazz, country, top 40, classical. They may have been more, but 'blessed silence' wasn't one of them. I generally chose progressive jazz, though might go for bangra if available these days.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
quote:

Press 1 for classical
Press 2 for classic rock

Gateway Computers help had this in the 1990s. I recall the choices included progressive jazz, country, top 40, classical. They may have been more, but 'blessed silence' wasn't one of them. I generally chose progressive jazz, though might go for bangra if available these days.
I spent many hours on hold with Gateway in the late 90s -- I never had a choice. The worst was when they had Gateway employees singing (badly). I thought it might be more productive to have their employees actually answer the phone rather than waste their time singing hold music.

--------------------
~Tortuf

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I spent many hours on hold with Gateway in the late 90s -- I never had a choice. The worst was when they had Gateway employees singing (badly). I thought it might be more productive to have their employees actually answer the phone rather than waste their time singing hold music.

I wonder where your call centre was. My call went to somewhere in the USA. We had bought several Gateway computers for the office at the time.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

It was in the U.S., but I don't remember where.

I got rid of my Gateway internet "service" and didn't have to deal with them again. I was happy with that computer and never had reason to call about that.

So maybe it was just the internet phone system that gave me no choice but to listen to them trying to sing.

(For nice classical music, call the Internal Revenue Service.)

--------------------
~Tortuf

PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Press 1 for classical
Press 2 for classic rock

More use than Press #1 for English, because I know that about 7 times out of 10 I will be failing to communicate with someone else who has a funny accent....

Such joy!

PD

[ 10. September 2012, 03:16: Message edited by: PD ]

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish holding patterns on the phone were hard funk, such as Brick House by the Commodores: I worked for them once, building a drum kit and that is my favourite song from that genre. The driving beat definitely keeps you awake!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once got someone playing Unchained Melody at me. It was only the music, but I was filling in the words: "and time ... goes by ... so slowly ..."
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:
I once got someone playing Unchained Melody at me. It was only the music, but I was filling in the words: "and time ... goes by ... so slowly ..."

[Killing me]

--------------------
~Tortuf

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Slightly tangentially, a cafe I was in in Criccieth, North Wales had background music which appeared to be a crude home-mix of some rugby crowd doing the whole 'bread of heaven' thing, blending into someone like Aled Jones...doing the whole 'bread of heaven' thing...in a different key. This lasted about 3 minutes, and was on a loop.

On its 18th repetition (in our presence), the waitress was suprised when I asked her to change it or turn it off. The owner was surprised, offended, and downright huffy.

It was like being in that Flan O'Brien novel...or perhaps like being on hold with, I don't know, a Welsh franchise of Weight Watchers. I haven't been back.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

MrSponge2U

Ship’s scrub
# 3076

- Posted      Profile for MrSponge2U   Author's homepage   Email MrSponge2U   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sparks has a song called "Your Call is Very Important to Us, Please Hold", which is about the telephone hold experience. So using this song as telephone hold music would be very meta-, and I would have to appreciate the honesty.

--------------------
sig? what sig?

Posts: 3558 | From: where two big rivers meet | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I think the most annoying is when there is music, that I might just listen to mindlessly - not too offensive, or obtrusive - and they keep interrupting it at odd times with "thank you for continuing to hold. Your call is very important to us". I would rather just listen to the music, TBH.

I usually find myself thinking "If it's that important to you, why don't you answer it?"
You misunderstand the 'importance' your call has to the company. Most of them are making money out of having people on the line to them, and the longer each person is on the line the more money they make. One company I used to work for even had a deliberate policy of making each caller wait at least a minute before being put through to an operator (even if every single operator was free at the time) so that they would get some extra income. It may only have been an extra 50p or so per call, but over the course of a year it really added up.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why not good recordings of classical music?

A few months ago I rang some agency of Welsh government and got what sounded like a perpetual grand finale to a grand opera.

It made business development grants seem something of an anticlimax when they finally came through ...

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm confused. How do you make money out of keeping people on hold, unless you're the phone company? I know that my work has a call center that intentionally keeps the time as low as possible for fear of pissed off customers (who take their money elsewhere).

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

- Posted      Profile for Higgs Bosun   Email Higgs Bosun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
I'm confused. How do you make money out of keeping people on hold, unless you're the phone company? I know that my work has a call center that intentionally keeps the time as low as possible for fear of pissed off customers (who take their money elsewhere).

In the UK, for some telephone numbers, the owner of the line gets part of the charge to the caller. This is particularly true of so-called 'premium' numbers, often used by chat-lines etc. But I think it is true even for 0870 numbers, which cost significantly more than a normal land-line call.
Posts: 313 | From: Near the Tidal Thames | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, there are famous spam scams that just try to get you to phone a number.

Also even legitimate companies minimise their wages by maximising the time their call centre workers spend actually talking to customers. As the customers aren't going to conveniently phone them the moment the previous call ends, that means some of them have to wait.

Exactly the same reason as why you wait to see the doctor, the doctor doesn't wait to see you. The people making the decisions pay the doctor's wages, they don't pay yours.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

In France some companies seem to indicate (as quietly as they can) that they can be called on a cheaper number than the premium one - and supply it. I can only think this is the result of some uncannily sensible legislation. I still wonder whether you get through faster on the premium line or not.

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's sort of true in the UK too - this website will find alternatives to 0870 numbers.

I believe it's often possible to avoid 0870 charges by calling the 'calling from abroad?' option, which is basically an ordinary 010/020 number with the international code +44 stuck on the front.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cardiff Council's housing repairs hotline has a woodwind quartet arrangement of the Beatles' "I wanna hold your hand".
People who ring the number usually have a list of things they'd like the council to do, but hand-holding isn't generally one of them...

Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016