homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Death preferable to dependency (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Death preferable to dependency
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
b) knowing very well that at some point someone will make a decision regarding us, or our loved ones, that we violently disagree with--on the basis of cost.

Isn't that what insurance companies do right now?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WhateverTheySay:

For me personally, my independence is my strongest characteristic. No way would I be willing to lose that.

This is one of my biggest struggles at the moment. I've been disabled all my life and in my younger years was extraordinarily stubborn and fiercely independent. I functioned in the non disabled world at a time when the disabled weren't thought capable of independence. I did just about everything anyone else did, including some stuff I now look back at wonder how the hell I did it. I'm now of an age where the disability is catching up with me, along with illness, and little by little I'm losing that very independence. It's one of the reasons I don't see most of my friends from my younger years, as I've had judgmental comments about the "old me, who could do anything" being gone and when will I be back to normal? It ain't gonna happen and I don't like the judgment. The friends from those days that I do see still see I'm the same person and accept the loss of abilities of the past. But to be honest, I'd rather be gone than totally dependent, but still having an alert mind. I value life, but I've seen to much of what happens in convalescents and how many seem to be forgotten once there

I have a family who cares about me, but just to give an example of what can happen when you have family who don't care, I once did Russian language translation for an elderly woman who spoke no English and the staff spoke no Russian. She was dumped by her son who lived in another state and NEVER visited. [Mad]

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
b) knowing very well that at some point someone will make a decision regarding us, or our loved ones, that we violently disagree with--on the basis of cost.

You got that right. Having worked in hospitals I've seen more than my share of denials of needed medications, treatments, surgeries, etc. And even if we keep our present system exactly as is in place, like it or not rationing is coming. There aren't enough resources to meet demand and there are too many people treated in the only place they can be: the ER because they don't have insurance and can't pay the bills. It really doesn't take much to wind up there. Everyone without insurance is one major catastrophe away from it and even those with insurance will have a cap on lifetime benefits if Obamacare is repealed. I've known people who have maxed out their insurance and desperately need medication and/or treatment, but can't afford it.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

They do; but at least in theory we still have the option to find another torturer (oops, insurance company) or to pay out of pocket (if we can afford it, haha) for the treatment we believe we need. From the stories I've heard on Ship this seems to be more difficult to do with a national health system (though not impossible).

But it's a crap situation either way.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl2:
This is one of my biggest struggles at the moment. I've been disabled all my life and in my younger years was extraordinarily stubborn and fiercely independent. I functioned in the non disabled world at a time when the disabled weren't thought capable of independence. I did just about everything anyone else did, including some stuff I now look back at wonder how the hell I did it. I'm now of an age where the disability is catching up with me, along with illness, and little by little I'm losing that very independence. It's one of the reasons I don't see most of my friends from my younger years, as I've had judgmental comments about the "old me, who could do anything" being gone and when will I be back to normal? It ain't gonna happen and I don't like the judgment. The friends from those days that I do see still see I'm the same person and accept the loss of abilities of the past. But to be honest, I'd rather be gone than totally dependent, but still having an alert mind. I value life, but I've seen to much of what happens in convalescents and how many seem to be forgotten once there

I have a family who cares about me, but just to give an example of what can happen when you have family who don't care, I once did Russian language translation for an elderly woman who spoke no English and the staff spoke no Russian. She was dumped by her son who lived in another state and NEVER visited. [Mad]

Thank you for this. There's nothing easy about having to accept help from other people. ISTM that if those people treat us well and kindly and we're able to graciously accept their help, it might not be so bad.

Your story makes me mad too [Mad] and I agree that many feel abandoned. Very few people seem to visit relatives or friends frequently if they're not recognised and responded to, and if they think that the visit will be forgotten in any case. The lady I visit shows her awareness of it in her language and behaviour if for any reason I fail to visit with the usual frequency.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016