homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Christianity and compassion

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Christianity and compassion
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What happened to compassion in this man's case?

Is there a link between this and a 'secular' society which has abandoned Christian values?

If brought up as Christians, how likely is it that the nurses would have behaved differently?

Might 'training' encourage too much detachment?

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What makes you think the nurses were not brought up as Christians?

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've read through that article carefully (for which you owe me an apology given it's the Daily Mail) and can see no suggestion that secular society had any role to play, or that the nurses were not brought up as Christians. Or vice versa if it comes to that. So basically you're standing on an unsupported soapbox waving around a strawman.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I apologise for my wording. Please replace the second question with:

How likely is it that the nurses' upbringing, whether Christian or not, affected their behaviour?

I'm not waving a soapbox, simply wondering why the lack of compassion, and wondering whether there's any connection with a lack of Christian input.

--------------------

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Certainly, a proper Muslim would not have treated the boy that way...

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
I apologise for my wording. Please replace the second question with:

How likely is it that the nurses' upbringing, whether Christian or not, affected their behaviour?

I'm not waving a soapbox, simply wondering why the lack of compassion, and wondering whether there's any connection with a lack of Christian input.

Was there a "lack of Christian input"? You're just begging the same question again on the basis of what seems like no evidence and a load of prejudices.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

Don't you agree that there was a lack of compassion shown here? Why do you think it happened?

--------------------

Not

Ship's Quack
# 2166

- Posted      Profile for Not   Email Not   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Poor training, leadership and team communication, and chronic understaffing are far more likely contributing factors to poor care than speculation about upbringing. I've worked with Christian nurses who are compassionate and professional and also some who were utterly useless, lazy and self serving. Same for atheist nurses. But most of the time I don't know their religious backgrounds and wouldn't ask. None of my, or the patients' business. What is is skills and attitude. Mostly those are good but I've worked on wards where the culture is poor and that can become a vicious circle; it takes a lot of work and strong leadership to change ward culture. Really don't see that religious upbringing has anything to do with it.

(edited to add: not picking on nurses, just responding to the case raised. All the above goes for doctors, physios, radiographers...)

[ 03. July 2012, 18:45: Message edited by: CJ ]

--------------------
Was CJ; now Not

Posts: 600 | From: the far, far West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Don't you agree that there was a lack of compassion shown here? Why do you think it happened?

Certainly a lack of competence. But what I'm questioning is your automatic equation of Christianity with compassion. A lot of very compassioniate people are non-Christians, and a lot of Christians are total assholes. My personal experience is that Christians tend to talk a good game about compassion.

--------------------

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

While I agree that Christians are not perfect and don't always manage to put it into practice, there's surely a strong correlation between Christianity and compassion: Jesus was moved with compassion, Christians follow the example of Jesus.

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Except when they don't. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Not

Ship's Quack
# 2166

- Posted      Profile for Not   Email Not   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe in theory, but I see very little evidence of correlation day to day in hospitals or anywhere else. Not that there aren't many very compassionate (actively so) Christians. But completely unconvinced that they are proportionally more so than their atheist, agnostic, Muslim, Hindu , or indeed Jedi colleagues.

--------------------
Was CJ; now Not

Posts: 600 | From: the far, far West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's an horrendous story. A lack of competence certainly, and also compassion: particularly with the grieving relatives. Surely all medical staff are trained for dealing with grieving relatives? But in an understaffed, underfunded, overcrowded hospital - conjecture I admit - mistakes are going to be made, and compounded. Sadly this won't have been the first time something like this has happened, and it won't be the last.

But as to Christian upbringing and all that, really not so sure. I would say that the more important thing is not to run our NHS hospitals like businesses, but like hospitals.

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Buddhist would also be strongly motivated by compassion. Why does non-Christian equal secular?

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We get what we vote for.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It sounds like a desperately sad story and an utterly inexcusable tragic end to a young man's life.

That said we have only heard half the story, that of the family, we have little understanding as to what if anything led to such an awful chain of events. That isn't an excuse it's just an observation.

I get really tired of people getting on the 'trained nurses are all lacking in compassion' high horse. Compassion and academic competence are not a valid dichotomy.

I am not sure what happened here but I refuse to believe that an entire ward full of nurses would deliberately neglect someone to the point of death and conspire to make sure it remained that way. You might find one who wouldn't care but not a ward full, no way.

No doubt there were serious failings in communication and understanding and this was probably fuelled by overwork and lack of understanding of the behaviour the patient displayed. The other likely contributory factor is that the ward culture was rotten or corrupted in some way as to not provide a supportive working culture.

Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you are probably right Macrina. It seems most likely that something went wrong with the write up of his medication - generally in a hospital medication is dispensed under supervision and then locked up so there shouldn't have been a packet of it about.

I wonder if he hadn't been written up for the medication to manage his pituitary condition (first error) and so mother brought in the medication he had at home and asked them to give it. Which they would have refused to do and/or would have meant that the medication chart remained uncorrected (second error). Poor handover might have meant they attributed his disturbed behaviour to the brain tumour and thought his mother was being officious (third error).

Somewhere along the line he seems to have lost his ability to do things for himself - in a way that is not clear from the article. Why could he not get out of bed, and why was he supposed to be on a drip ? Did this mean he was supposed to be nil by mouth ? If so is this why they weren't giving him water ?

The BBC covered this a couple of years ago http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8553343.stm

I wonder if the locum doctors are also a key part of the story.

[ 03. July 2012, 22:23: Message edited by: Think² ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
While I agree that Christians are not perfect and don't always manage to put it into practice, there's surely a strong correlation between Christianity and compassion: Jesus was moved with compassion, Christians follow the example of Jesus.

Which as Croesos points out, totally fails to demonstrate that ONLY Christians are moved with compassion. Even if Christianity, properly observed, leads to compassion, you cannot reason backwards to say that a person who demonstrates compassion must be a Christian.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not a faith issue at all. There is a good deal of anecdotal evidence of what a medical friend has characterised as "hands off" nursing. Her concerns (and research) have been trying to get to the bottom of the selection, training and management practices which may be contributing to this behaviour.

And of course getting at the facts is by no means easy given the "politicisation" of performance targets both by governments and managements. Plus anti-litigation defences.

FWIW, I think the fragmentation of traditional nursing roles has led to some loss of awareness that the primary personal responsibility is to care for the patient. In this particular case, the lack of care seems to have been related to a lack of awareness of the specific caring needs. I've heard other similar stories.

My own experiences of care in NHS hospitals (two relatively minor ops under general anaesthetic, two spells of monitoring because of severe heart irregularities) has been very good. In all four cases, the condition being treated were well known and subject to well established routines. "By rote" was what was required, and was done very well. Plus they told me I was a "model patient" (whatever that meant).

But based on my own limited hearing of the stories of others, the problems can arise when your condition is less well known, or requiring unusual support. I've certainly heard, for example, of mix-ups over the administration of drugs for pre-existing conditions). And cases where there seemed to have been some breakdown between specific information provided in advance about a patient's pre-existing condition and the awareness levels of the staff.

In general, if responsibility gets fragmented, you get confusion over what any particular care provider "needs to know". If you only have a bit of the responsibility, do you need to know the whole story? The more fragmented the responsibility, the greater the need for effective communications and handovers.

All of this can fall by the wayside when cost pressures have significant effects on staffing levels. Folks lose some awareness of the inherent risks. Plus everyone who has ever worked anywhere knows that they have off days.

Put that all together, and tragedies, like this one, can and do happen.

Commenting on Martin not PC's observation, I think it is more a case of getting what we are prepared to pay for. This whole fragmenting process was triggered by cost-cutting and efficiency considerations. "Do we really need fully trained nurses to do that?" Etc. Something got lost on the way. And there is no easy way back, either. Not that "back" was perfect, either.

[ 04. July 2012, 08:58: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aggie
Ship's cat
# 4385

- Posted      Profile for Aggie   Email Aggie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As per Think2's post, this tragedy could have been prevented through better communication between the medical staff. We do not know the exact facts, and the Daily Mail typically puts its own "spin" on events.

--------------------
“I see his blood upon the rose
And in the stars the glory of his eyes,
His body gleams amid eternal snows,
His tears fall from the skies.”
(Joseph Mary Plunkett 1887-1917)

Posts: 581 | From: A crazy, crazy world | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the OP is asking a valid question but illustrating it with an irrelevant story. To answer the question, I imagine Christians are more likely to demonstrate compassion for others than non-Christians, caeteris paribus.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yorick: I imagine Christians are more likely to demonstrate compassion for others than non-Christians, caeteris paribus.
I certainly hope so, but I'm not sure if it's true.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my very limited experience, it is.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yorick: In my very limited experience, it is.
I'm glad to hear that.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

Well don't get too pleased about it. It is my feeling that Christians- all else being equal- are more likely to demonstrate their compassion, but this is only based on my very limited experience of the behaviour of Christians and non-Christians, and I haven’t met all of them yet!

The other important thing is the word ‘demonstrate’. I very carefully did not say I think atheists are less compassionate than Christians, just that Christians are more likely to demonstrate that compassion. The reasons for their doing so are perhaps a matter for interesting conjecture, but not all of it is to do with their being better people in any sense.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Yorick: I very carefully did not say I think atheists are less compassionate than Christians, just that Christians are more likely to demonstrate that compassion.
I'm not completely sure what the difference would be between being compassionate and demonstrating compassion.

I mean, suppose I fall off my bycicle, and someone helps me up again. Does it really make a difference to me if this person is compassionate or if (s)he only demonstrates compassion?

I guess there is an exception when people only demonstrate compassion to brag about it later. In fact, Jesus had a lot to say about that.

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
...I fall off my bycicle, and someone helps me up again. Does it really make a difference to me if this person is compassionate or if (s)he only demonstrates compassion?

I would say they're demonstrating their compassion by helping you up again. They're walking the walk, as it were, and I reckon Christians are better at doing that than non-Christians.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a tabloid newspaper. Are you naive enough to expect facts?

A lot of non theists have compassion of course but when we look at Christians are you adding the westborough baptists and right wingers into the equation? Doesn't their blatant lack of compassion bring down the "score" on the Christian side?

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What happened to compassion in this man's case?

Is there a link between this and a 'secular' society which has abandoned Christian values?

If brought up as Christians, how likely is it that the nurses would have behaved differently?

Might 'training' encourage too much detachment?

I think I'll keep this in Purgatory. But it's close.

Why on earth do you think the nurses weren't brought up as Christians?

What on earth makes you think that the good functioning of the NHS and the level of compassion we expect of it is Christian in origin? Nye Bevan, the man most responsible for the NHS appears to have had faith in Socialism but none in Christianity. So yes, there's a link between this incident and secular society. Secular society set up the NHS and occasionally fails. Christian society, in its many centuries, didn't even come close to setting up the NHS. It wouldn't have been an issue with Christian society because good medical care was not expected in Christian society.

As for compassion deriving from Jesus Christ, Jesus wept! There is a strong injection of compassion into the biblical narrative. But the direction of compassion isn't with the compassion coming from the bastard who created the Plague on the Firstborn and who drowned the whole world in a flood. The compassion injection comes because the formerly untouchable God is now man and can therefore weep. The compassionate side of the Incarnate Deity is the man, not the God.

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick (replying to whether it is more likely that Christians would show compassion):
In my very limited experience, it is.

How limited? I've met compassionate Christains, atheists, Buddhists and Jews. But that just reflects the people I know. I only know two Buddhists for example - maybe they are unusual and all this stuff about "compassion for all sentient beings" is just words. Maybe I need to get out more. Is there a word (maybe 'creedism'?) for stereotyping people with different belief systems?

It might be pertinent to point out that the reported case reached national headlines because it was so contrary to our usual experience of medical staff. And that the people mentioned have probably shown compassion many times before whilst, especially in the case of ancilliary staff, nurses and junior doctors, being overworked, under-paid and often getting abuse from patients.

Looking at cases where things go wrong is rather pointless. It's always possible to find cases where it didn't (though they don't make it into the papers so often). Perhaps more significantly surveys of people's attitude to the NHS usually find satisfaction with their own tratment but a sense that it's failing over all. Surely that suggests one sided reporting.

In case you think I'm too pro-NHS, I've been waiting over a month for test results which I've been told were available the day the tests were done. Things don't always work out right is all - especially in big bureaucracies.

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The compassionate side of the Incarnate Deity is the man, not the God.
Would make an interesting discussion in itself.

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Yorick: I would say they're demonstrating their compassion by helping you up again. They're walking the walk, as it were, and I reckon Christians are better at doing that than non-Christians.
But he did help me up my bicycle. Why would I complain?

What would be the difference to me between someone helping me up my bicicle but who didn't really feel compassion, and someone who helped me who did? The result is the same.

I don't think I would stop ask: "Could you tell me please if you really felt compassion when you helped me? Because if not, I'm going to lie down on the ground again with all my groceries around me." On the contrary, I'd just give them a heartily "Thank you very much!"

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

I’m sorry, I didn’t put it very clearly. You asked what is the difference between being compassionate, and demonstrating compassion. I replied that anyone who helps you up from a fall is demonstrating compassion, with the implication that their simply feeling sorry for you on the floor (and not helping you up) is being compassionate. The perhaps controversial point is that (I reckon) Christians are more likely to demonstrate their compassion by doing something to help. They are more likely to give to charitable causes, for example, than others who may also feel compassion for those causes.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Yorick: I replied that anyone who helps you up from a fall is demonstrating compassion, with the implication that their simply feeling sorry for you on the floor (and not helping you up) is being compassionate.
Ah, I understand you better now. And I guess Jesus told a parable about this [Biased]

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

Oh, yes. (Damn and blast the insidious effect of childhood inculcation on one's authentically creative thinking!)

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

Thank you for your thoughts. Must do better [Hot and Hormonal] I won't post in a hurry in the future, and I'll find a better source.

I didn't say that only Christians have compassion, but I do expect to see compassion demonstrated by Christians. I would try to seek out a Christian hospice, for example, if I or a relative needed one. Christians founded many of the hospitals in Britain, and provided whatever health care they could to the poor.

While I can appreciate the pressures of work and lack of funding, these don't excuse the uncaring attitude which comes across in the report. I declare a bias in that I too was given short shrift from nurses when I kept asking for water in hospital. It turned out that there was a problem with the drip.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

If Christians are more compassionate than non-Christians, particularly in the medical profession, we shouldn't expect to find explicitly Christian hospitals engaging in a decades-long child theft conspiracy, at first in collusion with a fascist government punishing its enemies and other undesirables and then later on a purely for-profit basis.

Of course in reality, we get those involved in that conspiracy trading on the cheap stereotypes RE is endorsing to deflect suspicion.

quote:
Nine interminable hours passed. "Then, a nun, who was also a nurse, coldly informed me that my baby had died," she says.

They would not let her have her son's body, nor would they tell her when the funeral would be.

Did she not think to question the hospital staff?

"Doctors, nuns?" she says, almost in horror. "I couldn't accuse them of lying. This was Franco's Spain. A dictatorship. Even now we Spaniards tend not to question authority."

Compassion!

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016