homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » If the Yellowstone Caldera erupts... (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: If the Yellowstone Caldera erupts...
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The other consequence of volcano ash would have is a year without a summer as ellowis thought to have happened in 1816 due to volcanic eruptions.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
Did anyone see the TV programme on Yellowstone? It was very thorough and real scary, and Doc Tor has given a good summary of the likely consequences.

There was a programme fairly recently, wasn't there? The one I saw was 20 or more years ago I think and it said much of what Doc Tor said, but I remember also that it talked of two scientists, each studying different subjects, who happened to meet at a conference and realised they had two theories which fitted together well. One had been studying the ash layers etc and the other a huge pit with the bones of many thousands of animals of different species. The bones showed that they must have had lungs filled with that volcanic dust. If I remember correctly, this jumble of bones had been a cause of much puzzlement because predators and prey were together. Does anyone know any more about this?

Our

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"IF" the Yellowstone Caldera erupts ?
We're in the realms of denial here . All the science tells us "when" is the word, not "if" .

What will it do to faith ? I suspect some of us Fundies will be running around waving our arms about, going on on about the Tribulation , God's Wrath, etc.
The Secular masses will be getting on with clearing up the mess and referring to the irrepressible human spirit.
And some years after the whole demography of world Faith will have tipped in favour of Islam .

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
The US would resemble the world of Judge Dread, with two cities on opposite coasts...

For shame. Dredd.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
The US would resemble the world of Judge Dread, with two cities on opposite coasts...

For shame. Dredd.
Gah. I shall hand in my geek credentials and take the Long Walk.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Faux:
Not to sound goody-two-shoes, orfeo, but those were real people who died by the hundred-thousands.
Of course, any disaster involves real people, but joking about that Boxing Day tragedy has an "ick factor" IMO

I wasn't joking, in that this was actually what the Phelps folks claimed. The claim is utterly bizarre, but it's not, in the humour sense, a joke.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe the Phelps family could moonlight as guides at Yellowstone, then?

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And in related news, Mt Tongariro erupted yesterday, sending ash over the eastern North Island. Its one of the central North Island volcanoes, which take turns at showing themselves to be dormant rather than extinct.

Having just been on holiday in the area, and looked at lots of info on volcanoes, NZ would be toast if there was a really big eruption again.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Totally agree Arabella, as Rolyn said about Yellowstone - it's when, rather than if, for those volcanoes, and possibly Taranaki too.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those of you wishing to spice up your Sunday morning PowerPoint by scaring Hell out of everyone, here is a slide show gallery of volcanic lightning; just click on each square in turn to see the way the world as we know it ends!

--------------------

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Volcano killed thousands of British people in the 13th century

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by George Spigot:
Volcano killed thousands of British people in the 13th century

Quote from cited link
quote:
The really interesting bit: Nobody is sure yet where that volcanic eruption actually happened.
Sometime in the last few months I read that a scientist has a theory about exactly where that volcano was. The deposits which were scattered world-wide have the same proportion of components as a certain volcanic site in Indonesia.

Unfortunately, I don't know where I read this and I can't find it on Google.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Yellowstone areas, Montana, Wyoming, and further afield to Glacier are some of my favorite places on earth. If the employment situation were better I'd even consider relocating. I figure if the volcano blows I'd go with it.

Buffet

Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my professional capacity as a geologist, you may stop worrying about this, effective immediately.

You may NOT stop worrying about Global Climate Change, however. THAT is happening NOW, and it's gonna suck for a LOT of people. Already has. The U.S. is frying.

[Biased]

--------------------
Diax's Rake - "Never believe a thing simply because you want it to be true"

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about the major quake in SoCal? I've eaten all the peanut butter and chocolate that were in my emergency supplies. Do I need to replenish?
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
How about the major quake in SoCal? I've eaten all the peanut butter and chocolate that were in my emergency supplies. Do I need to replenish?

Hm, yes? Though a 4.4 isn't major.

The eruption of 1258 (or possibly 1257) seems still to be under wraps though likely to be an Indonesian volcano
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/341497/title/13th_century_volcano_mystery_may_be_solved

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

Have you ever visited Yellowstone, Mad Geo? I was there about three weeks ago. Stared directly into boiling mudpots along the walking trails.
I took several hundred pictures, and loaded them to a 10.4" digital picture frame, to run as a scrolling presentation.
By the way, not all geologists would agree with you; in 2009, one of them tried to get the government to evacuate everyone within a 500-mile radius of Yellowstone. You can Google that if you like, it has great pictures attached to the article.

[ 09. August 2012, 01:50: Message edited by: Silver Faux ]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

By the way, not all geologists would agree with you; in 2009, one of them tried to get the government to evacuate everyone within a 500-mile radius of Yellowstone. You can Google that if you like, it has great pictures attached to the article.

Wow!

(The wolves would be happy about that!)

It must feel odd to live there - sitting on top of SUCH a big time bomb
[Eek!]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't there a BBC drama about this very possibility? (checks Wikipedia) Made in 2005, broadcast on BBC1 and the Discovery Channel. I would post a link but the URL option here won't allow URLs containing parentheses. It was called 'Supervolcano'.

I remembered it for the moment of black comedy when the Mexican government closes their border with the US because they can't cope with any more refugees... [Devil]

[ 09. August 2012, 08:09: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RuthW:

I would absolutely keep that chocolate and peanut butter stocked up. Car too. (Not the chocolate though, in this heat) Californians almost cannot have good enough earthquake kits.

I couldn't help wondering if the little quakes we've had recently weren't foreshocks....
(probably not)

Silver Faux

Yes, been to Yellowstone, but it's been decades.

I'm being slightly tongue-in-cheek here, as it is a possibility at any point that Yellowstone will blow all to hell, but as risks go, there are things we can prepare for, and there are things we really can't do all that much about. This is one of those things. We have to hope that there will be a ramp up of seismicity, like St Helens, but then, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't...

By contrast, there are all kinds of things we should do to prepare for Global Climate Change. Some things we should do to DEAL with it.

--------------------

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

quote:
...By the way, not all geologists would agree with you...

If you put 10 geologists in a room, you'll get 12 different opinions on almost anything.

When people say there's a conspiracy of scientists to agree on Global Climate Change, that is a real knee slapper to us. Herding cats, doesn't begin to describe it...

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Geo:
quote:

If you put 10 geologists in a room, you'll get 12 different opinions on almost anything.

When people say there's a conspiracy of scientists to agree on Global Climate Change, that is a real knee slapper to us. Herding cats, doesn't begin to describe it...

There are known knowns, known unknowns and unknown unknowns (which may be the only true thing that man ever said).

Personally, I think living on a tectonically quiet corner of a continent, on top of a hill, covers quite a few geotechnical hazards, though a really big meteorite strike in the North Sea might do for me.

Building a house where the ground might kill me seems... unwise.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Love it. Mad Geo, when it comes to these issues, you are my role model. More sense in three sentences than your average New Scientist article.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

That went into the quote file. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

Wow, thanks! [Smile]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I would absolutely keep that chocolate and peanut butter stocked up. Car too. (Not the chocolate though, in this heat) Californians almost cannot have good enough earthquake kits.

not really necessary to say this to californians, I know - but don't count on the car. earthquakes are hell on the road system. especially if you get liquefaction and flooding.

our family "Apocalyptic Doom" kit (named by the kids) can be fit in the car but also on a sled that can be harnessed onto one of us or the dogs. If the S hits the F in the summer and we have to go cross country, we have frame packs. That will be a pain in the ass, but there you go.

quote:
Building a house where the ground might kill me seems... unwise.

eh. it's all perspective. I think living in a place where you can have street crime and riots is effing nuts, gimme earthquake and volcano country any day of the week.

No place on earth is 100% safe. if that place existed, it would also be the most boring place on the planet.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

Grand Falls, Iowa probably comes close, comet.
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RE: Spiffy's comment, "... Hurricanes, however, scare the ever-loving crap out of me. You have to sit there for DAYS watching it come at you, bro."

Yeah, earthquakes don't scare me as much as these freaking killer thunderstorms and tornadoes down here in the South. Hurricanes aren't fun, either but at least if you know one is on the way, you hopefully have time to pack up and get out--tornadoes just come down and rip shit all to hell. Dreadful.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

three words.

Tore. Nay. Doze.

no frickin' thank you.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There are known knowns, known unknowns and unknown unknowns (which may be the only true thing that man ever said).

He sure had fun working the 'Media' though.
Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
quote:

three words.

Tore. Nay. Doze.

no frickin' thank you.

It's always amazing that what we live with doesn't scare us while what other people live with can send us into panic attacks. Earthquakes don't bother me at all. I've been at work in a multi-story office building during a major earthquake watching walls and windows bow in and out with nary a care (maybe that's a mental defect on my part), but the thought of going through a tornado or hurricane gives me thoughts of not living in states that have them. I've talked with friends who say they'd NEVER, EVER live in California because of the earthquakes. I refer to quakes as a natural Disney ride. [Biased] (I told a friend of mine who moved here from Canada that and he told me later that my statement on the "natural Disney ride" is what kept him from panicking during his first ever earthquake)

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Personally, I think living on a tectonically quiet corner of a continent, on top of a hill, covers quite a few geotechnical hazards

MadGeo can certainly correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Australia is one of the most tectonically quiet places in the world.

Of course, in Australia, you get these.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
quote:
Personally, I think living on a tectonically quiet corner of a continent, on top of a hill, covers quite a few geotechnical hazards

MadGeo can certainly correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Australia is one of the most tectonically quiet places in the world.

For most of those if you stay out of the water you should be fine. For the rest....

One on the list reminded me of the old Dr. Demento radio show and the song "There Was A Redback on Toilet Seat When I Was There Last Night".

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That list is just for starters. And they have left out the world's most venomous snake.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

quote:
quote:

not really necessary to say this to californians, I know - but don't count on the car. earthquakes are hell on the road system. especially if you get liquefaction and flooding.

our family "Apocalyptic Doom" kit (named by the kids) can be fit in the car but also on a sled that can be harnessed onto one of us or the dogs. If the S hits the F in the summer and we have to go cross country, we have frame packs. That will be a pain in the ass, but there you go.

I would point out that the car "Apocalyptic Doom" kit is actually more about if you are stranded in your car away from your home, so you do not have access to your real kit.

During the Northridge earthquake, one of my staff was on his way to a job site when the freeway literally dropped out from under him and he was launched 4-feet vertically and landed on a lower section at 60 MPH. He actually worked his way around and off the freeway system and past the notorious collapsed interchange where the CHP officer died, using surface streets to get to the jobsite. Granted that wasn't the Big One, but I think it was a good example that it can be done even when the freeways are toast.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For some odd reason my mother attempted to get me Very Concerned™ about a series of 4 pointers in SoCal this week. I think she forgets I grew up there. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I would point out that the car "Apocalyptic Doom" kit is actually more about if you are stranded in your car away from your home, so you do not have access to your real kit.

Exactly. The most important things in my car kit are the sneakers and the water, so I can hoof it if I have to.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
quote:

Australia is good. The central craton of Canada is also good. Siberia likewise.

I have been to Oz once, and the first day, I went to the zoo. Know your enemy.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
For some odd reason my mother attempted to get me Very Concerned™ about a series of 4 pointers in SoCal this week. I think she forgets I grew up there. [Disappointed]

One So. Cal. board I used to be on looked with utter disdain upon anyone who even bothered to report anything less than a 5.0. We've had so many 4 pointers in the Yorba Linda area over the past several months it's almost routine.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes indeed! I have dark suspicions that she is trying to reconcile me to the idea of never being able to afford to move back. [Waterworks]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have been to Oz once, and the first day, I went to the zoo. Know your enemy.

Okay for snakes, but I'm trying to think of any zoo that's shown me spiders.

Also, Australia's a big place. It's highly unlikely, for instance, that I've been within 1000 km of an Irkandji jellyfish, or a crocodile unless it's been behind a fence. If I went into the Australian tropics I'd probably be just as clueless and worried as any foreign tourist when it came to those sorts of things.

EDIT: But I did find two redback webs on the outside of my house the first year I was there. I showed zero mercy.

[ 13. August 2012, 03:00: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. Australia is a really big place. People who live in the Northern Hemisphere tend to think of it as smaller than it is because of the maps we usually see, Mercator Projections. In a Mercator projection, Australia looks kinda small. Whereas, in reality Australia is about the same size as the continental US and bigger than Europe.
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

Those who believe that Ontario and Quebec are free from volcanic threats should perhaps be aware of the Blake River Megacaldera Complex which spans the Ontario/Quebec border, meaning that area is susceptible to tornadoes, ice storms, the occasional hurrican, ittybitty earthquakes, and a super volcano capable of changing weather patterns and even creating a small ice age.
On the other hand, it is a great area to fish for yellow perch.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We got a hurricane here in Boston last year and it was the biggest let-down ever. [Waterworks]

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016