homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Church of England Theological colleges-how do they rank in terms of evangelical ? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Church of England Theological colleges-how do they rank in terms of evangelical ?
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
A friend of mine was a charismatic anglo-catholic before he joined the ordinariate. He regularly did a solemn mass in the morning and a charismatic service concluding with benediction in the evening.

You are also making Oxonian's point for him. Just as a choral office is not "high mass", however many robed choir members and candles there are, and a died-in-the-wool anglo-catholic would not be able to accept it as a regular church diet; so a "charismatic service concluding with benediction" is not the same as a charismatic-evangelical service.

As for the altar call, you are confusing "evangelical" with "evangelist".

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Exactly. I can't understand why so many people confuse 'elaborate' worship with Catholic and 'simple' with Evangelical. Few things are more elaborate than a high-tech praise-band-and-video Evangelical service, and you can't get much simpler (well, apart from a Quaker meeting) than a contemplative said mass.

It's quite possible (even common) to be an anglo-catholic and prefer simple liturgy. Indeed, apart from the mega-shrines and places with cathedral-like resources, most churches of that tradition celebrate the liturgy in modern RC style which is little different from standard MOTR C of E. And besides the powerpoint stuff, many evangelicals no longer have hang-ups about wearing vestments or even burning incense.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

But i thought that one of the key stresses within evangelicalism was a personal relationship with Jesus, in one's heart.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

But i thought that one of the key stresses within evangelicalism was a personal relationship with Jesus, in one's heart.
Whilst Catholics have a personal relationship with Mary? [Devil] Couldn't resist...

--------------------
Test everything. Hold on to the good.

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

Posts: 5018 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it's fairly normal to be friends with your mate's mum.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Moreover, while it would obviously be silly for a traditional catholic to serve his or her title in a conservative evangelical parish (for example),

But why exactly? And vice versa? Might it not be a good idea to give training curates a year or so in a parish that's very different from their home parish or their training college?
This makes some sense, but not, I think, "a year or so". Asking someone to do a job that they are not equipped or comfortable to do is a recipe for stressed and depressed clergy.

And, furthermore, I think it's a mistake to think X has grown up in a catholic/evangelical parish, therefore she/he doesn't need any training to minister in that context."

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Oxonian Ecclesiastic:
Most Eucharists at S. Stephen's House are celebrated facing East. Their vestments are Latin-shaped, and the principal wears his biretta. The albs are of lace. Here is a picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamesbradley/3619188400/in/set-72157619631142802

If this is 'modern catholic', I must needs be deluded.

That saddens and surprises me. I have been to many masses there, albeit a long time ago. It was modern Roman, facing the people. Then again, the RCC, who they copy, is going backwards, liturgically.
I don't think one should necessarily see this as going backwards. I suppose that St Stephen's House also has modern masses, and probably even slightly experimental ones. Maybe it should be seen as part of the whole panoply of tradition - variety is healthy. Why not charismatic, Coffee table pottery chalice style, missa normativa, 1662, CW with childrens' eucharistic prayers and overhead projectors, AND Trendentine masses?

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All of the above have, indeed, been seen at the House in recent years.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The assessment of Queen's Foundation as 'ecumenical, central, fairly liberal' was fairly true of the place as I remember it. Though another poster suggests that there have been a few changes.

Of course there has been a lot of turnover of staff since my time, but it seemed a good mixture of liberal, con/open-evo, and a few high church-ish types, in terms of tutors.

I do have a memory of a number of the Methodist evangelicals complaining about having been sent to a liberal college, resenting the implication that the authorities thought their ideas needed broadening. It was quite possible the Anglican evos thought this too to a certain extent.

But, for the most part, I enjoyed the mixture and the ecumenical element. As each student took on the job of putting together services for the college chapel, it provided great variety, not just in worship custom but in theology.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
All of the above have, indeed, been seen at the House in recent years.

Thurible

That reassures me.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016