homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » charitable conservatives (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: charitable conservatives
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's common knowledge that conservatives give more than liberals.

Apparently that's because conservatives give more to their churches. According to this discussion of a new survey by The Chronicle of Philanthropy:

quote:
But Utah is a bit of an outlier. The rest of the more generous states are dominated by the South – the country’s most Christian region and another faith that regularly emphasizes tithing 10%. Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee and South Carolina round out the top five.

Take away churches as charities, however, and red states no longer dominate the world of donations. Instead, New England – a region that leans Democratic, with far fewer religiously affiliated Americans but with more affluent residents – catapults toward the top.

The Chronicle of Philanthropy found that the South gives roughly 5.2% of its discretionary income to charity– including both religious and non-religious groups – while New England only gives 4%. But if churches are excluded, the South’s percentage drops to 0.9% and New England’s only drops to 1.4%. New York state would be second in the country in giving if religion was removed from the equation, while Pennsylvania would jump from No. 40 into the top 5.

So ... is it fair to say that conservatives are more charitable than liberals if the bulk of the conservative's charity is directed toward the church that they attend? Would it be appropriate to regard donations to your own church in the same way you'd regard dues and donations to your local golf club or other favorite activity? (I'm not saying that churches don't provide services to the poor. But the bulk of our parish budget involves mortgage payments, power bills, insurance, salaries, and the like. I'm sure that's true of most other churches as well.)

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As Fred Clark of Slacktivist puts it "Study reveals church-goers give more to churches than people who don’t go to church give to those churches". This is not a particularly surprising result.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
It's common knowledge that conservatives give more than liberals.

That's probably false. Whose more charitable, liberals or conservatives?

The article indicates, among other things, that it depends on how you decide to analyse things, what you include or exclude, and how you adjust for disposable income or wealth. My take is that such a statement is utterly meaningless and another one of those ridiculous polarizations that tries to divide people into sheep and goats when many are birds or fish, and far too many are insects and fungi.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
tomsk
Shipmate
# 15370

- Posted      Profile for tomsk   Email tomsk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a theory that if you give money to the Church you might as well stick it up your arse for all the good it does. But that is based on the premise that church is a pointless exercise. Giving money o churches is charitable, as churches are normally charities, with spiritual as well as practical objectives. A the same time, conflating giving to the Church with, say, giving to the poor is not completely accurate.
Posts: 372 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... is it fair to say that conservatives are more charitable than liberals if the bulk of the conservative's charity is directed toward the church that they attend? Would it be appropriate to regard donations to your own church in the same way you'd regard dues and donations to your local golf club or other favorite activity?

Good point. I suppose to get a true picture you'd need to do some factoring calculation based on how much of the typical church budget is spent on social / charitable work and how much goes on the 'internal' church stuff. I imagine one could have a go at this calculation but it would be full of approximations.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, but the charitable sector also includes things such as art, PBS, museums and historic buildings which are as subject to the same critique of being self serving.

--------------------
Test everything. Hold on to the good.

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

Posts: 5018 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So ... is it fair to say that conservatives are more charitable than liberals if the bulk of the conservative's charity is directed toward the church that they attend?

No, I don't think giving that will be spent in Church upkeep should be counted as charity at all. It is necessary, of course, but it isn't charity giving imo.

An analogy would be income into our home - the money we spend on rates, food, upkeep of buildings etc etc is not giving - it's simply expenses.

When we have fundraisers at our Church we do half/half. Half goes to Church funds and half to proper charities. The punters seem very happy with this arrangement.

Keeping the club going can't possible be called a charitable act, in my view.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But give to any organisation and the major part of your donation is liable to go on keeping the show on the road.

Personally, I'm dubious that churches should be counted as charities. Given that they are, however, giving to a church is giving to a charity and the fact that most of your donation goes on repairing the roof doesn't stop it being giving to a charity.

Whether giving to that charity is a good way to spend money is another question, but not everyone would regard giving money to Battersea Dog's Home as a good use of money...

Might also be worth pointing out that some organisations that do (arguably) good work to which one might be inclined to give are not, in the technical sense, charities and so presumably wouldn't count in measures of charitable giving...

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But give to any organisation and the major part of your donation is liable to go on keeping the show on the road.
This does not apply to a charity whose accounts are open for all to see, at least to see the proportion of donations spent on actual help, administrations, fund-raising, etc. I would never give to a charity which spent more than they used to help or aid in internal costs.

When I first became a Christian I was taught that tithing was required. I dutifully tithed for years. But now I give a very much smaller proportion to my church (not the one where I was told to tithe!) and a very much greater proportion to charities which I can choose, and whose accounts tell me clearly where my money goes.

Not sure whether that puts me in the conservative or liberal camp! [Biased]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
quote:
......Would it be appropriate to regard donations to your own church in the same way you'd regard dues and donations to your local golf club or other favorite activity?

Good point. I suppose to get a true picture you'd need to do some factoring calculation based on how much of the typical church budget is spent on social / charitable work and how much goes on the 'internal' church stuff. I imagine one could have a go at this calculation but it would be full of approximations.
Going the other way, all being equal the church needs to use 30% of it's income in a charitable way, less favours the liberals, more the conservatives. It's possibly easier to think how unlikely that is/loose a definition of charity.
However ES's & Boogies points are interesting, and rather spoil my attempt to get round.

Giving to the church is spent on humanitarian work (akin to-and often via Oxfam), society work (akin to symphony), political work (akin to BNP/Greens*), clubby work (akin to golf club) and expenses.
If we include 'lower' giving in the 1.4/0.9, then we need to include it in the church. Which makes 30% quite likely.
If we don't then the 1.4,0.9 will shrink, and it is quite plausible that some of the difference will be clawed back (e.g. if cons give and play at the churches football team while libs give and play in the secular football team).

In short we could instead try factoring for the non-church budget...but I'm not sure we're gaining much.

Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I propose an exchange; an end of the charitable status of churches - along with orchestras (including all government funding of the arts and sports), youth and sport organisations and art galleries. Oh, and the government would have to take over the cost of maintaining all listed religious buildings.

The secularists have found a new front: we need to turn the logic back on them.

--------------------

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you want to know how a non profit spends its money look at this site.

On the question of whether giving to a church is like club dues, in many ways that is true. Having been on budget committees, a major part of offerings goes to fixed costs. A church is an expensive place to run.

In another sense, it is not like club dues. We were challenged by Jesus to gather in His name. Perhaps that could be outside in the cold, or the heat, or the rain, or the snow. I mean after all, if we weren't wimps we would do that. But then, the frail and the sick might have a problem or two getting to service.

Church charitable activities is a factor. Programs like Room At The Inn, food banks, etc., are regularly sponsored by churches here in the Sovereign South. I dunno, something about being reminded weekly that all humans are your brothers and sisters in Christ might have something to do with it.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
In another sense, it is not like club dues. We were challenged by Jesus to gather in His name. Perhaps that could be outside in the cold, or the heat, or the rain, or the snow.

Or in someone's house. Without paid staff or expensive equipment. If we all did church like this, without the big buildings and staff teams, think of all the money we could instead give to social and / or missionary programmes!

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

quote:
quote:
In another sense, it is not like club dues. We were challenged by Jesus to gather in His name. Perhaps that could be outside in the cold, or the heat, or the rain, or the snow.

Or in someone's house. Without paid staff or expensive equipment. If we all did church like this, without the big buildings and staff teams, think of all the money we could instead give to social and / or missionary programmes!
Indeed, as Frank Viola strongly argues for. It's the usual problem; you wouldn't start from here if you had a totally clean sheet with which to work. The hard question is how radical / destructive of tradition / philistine you want to be...

--------------------

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ender's Shadow:
I propose an exchange; an end of the charitable status of churches - along with orchestras (including all government funding of the arts and sports), youth and sport organisations and art galleries. Oh, and the government would have to take over the cost of maintaining all listed religious buildings.

So you think orchestras and art galleries are to secularists what churches are to believers?

Good luck with that logic thing!

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
quote:

So you think orchestras and art galleries are to secularists what churches are to believers?

Good luck with that logic thing!

I would argue that in terms of what they offer - aesthetic experiences as a source of entertainment - the equivalence is quite reasonable [Big Grin]

--------------------

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

So, no pay for the preacher. Meaning no one has incentive to go to school for a while to learn theology.

OK. No problem. We can all just read our favorite passages in the Bible and never have to deal with an uncomfortable interpretation. Cool.

Oh, wait a minute. With all this extra money you will be sending to charity, who will sort out where it goes and make sure it is actually delivered? Because, you know, all those NGO's ought to dismantle too so charities can be handled in someone's house to save money as well.

Who is going to pay the missionaries then?

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would say that paying someone to work fulltime for the cure of souls in my local area is an extremely worthy charitable aim (and I hope the new converts thank me for my hard giving once they're in heaven [Biased] ) Seriously, one thing that has stopped me giving more to churches is when I've felt they've become too much of a social club and I've felt like my tithe could be better spent elsewhere.

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

So, no pay for the preacher. Meaning no one has incentive to go to school for a while to learn theology.

Are you saying that the only reason why ministers study theology is so that they can make a good living out of it??

Well, if so, then that's an indictment of the system in itself!! The atheists would have a field day with that one!

quote:

We can all just read our favorite passages in the Bible and never have to deal with an uncomfortable interpretation. Cool.

One of the problems we have today is that many laypeople feel that they don't have to deal with the uncomfortable elements in the Bible, because they feel that they're paying a clergyman or woman to do all that hard work for them. Perhaps they might get more involved if it wasn't something hived off for the attention of specialists.

As for general giving to charity, I suppose that if you're an evangelical who gives a large amount to church, then you might have less money to give to humanitarian-type charities. But this assumes that money given to churches never reaches the poor/sick/abused, etc. This is untrue. In fact, I imagine that the richest evangelical churches probably have more money to devote to those things, after paying their bills, than many more liberal, smaller congregations, who are struggling to keep their doors open. But of course, taking our cue from the widow's mite, it's not the amount but the percentage that matters, and from this perspective, the smaller church might win.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where does the information that fuels these surveys come from? Surely people are not boasting about the extent of their generosity?

In any event, the tax breaks available make everyone a giver, as the rebates have to be funded from somewhere within the budget, either through lower spending or higher taxation, and if you can afford a good accountant then your personal giving can be made very efficient indeed!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rather than worrying about whether church giving "counts," I would suggest we worry more about engaging in community. Anything that lifts our eyes above our own selfish interests should be encouraged ISTM. I say "good on them" for the conservatives to be actively engaged in the life of their church.

If you are liberal and feel that you are being out-given by conservatives, embrace the burn of your shame and dig deep, instead of trying to pony up some reason why those better souls who don't share your political slant are somehow every bit as foul as you are.

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
Are you saying that the only reason why ministers study theology is so that they can make a good living out of it??

Well, if so, then that's an indictment of the system in itself!! The atheists would have a field day with that one!

As a matter of fact, the Episcopal church has what any businesslike analysis would call a clergy surplus. Yet people go to expensive and time-consuming seminaries to join their ranks, with a parochial "living" more and more a dream like winning the lottery. I'd call this a minor miracle, not to be taken for granted.

Of course, it depends on what you mean by a good living. A clergyman should not expect a mcmansion with a Mercedes and a powerboat in the garage, but is anything wrong with wanting a roof over your head? Show me an atheist who (a) is devoted to obtaining a degree, or the equivalent amount of knowledge, in philosophy; and (b) content to live in the gutter; and I will grant you a point. Truly would he or she be a successor of Chaucer's delightful Oxford scholar. But that's not the way things work anymore in the West and you know it. The Oxford scholar had very few possessions, but he had a bed, some books, and a shelf above the bed to keep them on. Nowadays he might find himself homeless, with neither a bed nor any place to keep whatever books he might be able to shelter from the rain and snow.

Who is prepared to live like that? There are plenty of homeless people today. It doesn't seem to be a particularly bizarre fate anymore. Even the standard of living of the Oxford scholar these days requires employability at more than minimum wage, which more and more requires a college education in a subject needed by the economy. Students who are in college only for the piece of paper that will offer them a decent living at the other end of the tunnel are the bane of every professor, but who can blame them for being there?

Now you're suggesting that it is cringeworthy if a vocation to the ministry doesn't inspire one to go and get a graduate degree on top of that for holy poverty? Where does a secularist conjure up the standard giving him the right to make any such demand?

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alogon

I wasn't suggesting that they should live in poverty - although the concept of the homeless holy man isn't exactly untried! I was simply responding to the idea that the noone would study theology unless they were in line for a job and a pension. What this tells the laity is that theology isn't for them, but for specialists. But maybe theology is worth studying even if you have to get a job doing something else?

And as South Coast Kevin implies, churches have become institutions that are increasingly expensive to maintain, whilst at the same time seemingly becoming less effective in their mission (depending on how they define their mission, I suppose) and less relevant to the surrounding culture. If we didn't have to spend so much money maintaining a monstrous infrastructure there might be more flexibility, more agility, a quicker response to local and national conditions, etc.

I accept that this is unlikely to happen, though, because it would signify a loss of status for churches and for religious professionals.

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What an oxymoronic thread title!

'Charity' is a euphemism for 'only giving to those causes of which I approve/ from which I will benefit, allowing me to complain about high levels of taxation.' We ought to be campaigning for a system which supports all basic human needs and redistributes the unjust allocation of wealth in our society, which means the rich paying more tax.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, but the charitable sector also includes things such as art, PBS, museums and historic buildings which are as subject to the same critique of being self serving.

In what way? Did I miss somewhere an announcement that these corporations now distribute dividends to investors?

--------------------

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

quote:
Would it be appropriate to regard donations to your own church in the same way you'd regard dues and donations to your local golf club or other favorite activity?

I wouldn't mind in the least if in principle (the devil, of course, being in the details), this distinction were enshrined in law: To qualify as something other than a club, a church must (1) have all regular services open to the public; (2) have membership open to all applicants.

Every church should comply with enthusiasm. It's right there in the Nicene Creed: I believe in one holy Catholic and apostolic church. If a religious organization does not fulfil the implications of that word Catholic, meaning universal, then it is not part of the church described in this 1700-year-old statement, and it has no right to be considered such.

I'm not suggesting that most churches in fact fail to fulfil these conditions nowadays, unless they exclude or expel gays and the like. Churches make as big a point of being inviting and inclusive as clubs do of being exclusive. The difference ought to be vivid enough to answer critics. But any preferential treatment in tax terms should be contingent upon it. Therefore we/they had better make certain of staying away from the borderline.

quote:
Sioni sez:
In any event, the tax breaks available make everyone a giver, as the rebates have to be funded from somewhere within the budget,

Ebenezer Scrooge said something like that, too.

quote:
Jay-Emm:
Giving to the church is spent on humanitarian work (akin to-and often via Oxfam), society work (akin to symphony), political work (akin to BNP/Greens*), clubby work (akin to golf club) and expenses...

Ahh, so simple. Subsidizing poor kids so that they can attend school is clearly humanitarian work, and paying soloists in the choir is clearly society work. But what if one of those paid soloists is one of those poor kids in school (as is rather often, in fact the case)? Suddenly telling the two endeavors apart doesn't look like such a no-brainer, does it?

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I don't think we ought to all do church alike. Without a semi-comfortable and accessible building to meet in, a lot of people (such as the disabled or the very shy) are never ever going to come. If you have no equipment, you're probably going to be excluding the deaf--and probably the visually impaired as well, who need larger print stuff. And if you have no paid staff, chances are there'll be nobody there to do emergency pastoral care during "normal working hours"--so be sure to schedule suicide attempts, accidents, family breakups and etc. for evenings and Saturdays. Oh, and forget the food pantry, you've got nowhere to keep it, and people in need won't be able to tell where to ask for help anyway (many of them only knowing the church from the outside of the building). Seriously, the bare bones house church idea is great for the young and able-bodied whose life is on a fairly even course. It doesn't work too well for people who are breaking down in any of a dozen was.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:

quote:
Sioni sez:
In any event, the tax breaks available make everyone a giver, as the rebates have to be funded from somewhere within the budget,

Ebenezer Scrooge said something like that, too.

He may have done, but to me it looks more like something Mr Micawber would say. Sadly Micawber couldn't manage his accounts, despite being able to calculate to the nearest farthing, as he wasn't willing to face up to the underlying problems, which IIRC was mostly Mrs Micawber, but in the context of my post is the inequalities caused by tax-breaks for non-profits.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

You seem to assume that the Micawbers do not benefit from any of these charities given tax breaks. The premise is that, as members of society, they do. And I don't think you need to look far to verify that. For starters, all they need these days is a $30 radio, and their minds can be nourished hours daily with various edification that they aren't likely to find on any commercial station. And it will be free of the ceaseless barrage of propaganda tempting them to go further into debt. Obviously the American corporocracy detests the existence of any such end run around its reach into our pockets. That's why they have pressed their legislative minions into cutting federal support below $1 per year per capita, unlike most other first-world (or even third-world) nations.

This being the case, yes, it's a blessing at least that contributions from the altruistic can more efficiently make up for our governments' refusal to fulfill this fiscally minor responsibility, as it did unstintingly in those awful socialist 1950s when I was a kid.

[ 24. August 2012, 03:56: Message edited by: Alogon ]

--------------------

Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

quote:
quote:

In what way? Did I miss somewhere an announcement that these corporations now distribute dividends to investors?
Let's try again: if I give money to my local Catholic or especially Orthodox church, I will paying to enable people in funny clothes to say things from a script on a regular basis. The same description applies to the theatre. Yet relatively few people argue that that shouldn't be eligible for charitable status. (Protestant churches probably constitute performance art [Big Grin] )

If I give money to my favourite cathedral, I am enabling them to maintain the fabric of an ancient monument. It's the same if I give money to the National Trust.

If I give money to some churches endowed with glorious art, I'm ensuring that those pictures are available to the public to be seen. The same is true of an art gallery.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Angloid said.

Why is it assumed that charity is a good thing?

I think it is a bad thing because it enables people to feel good when they have put a sticking plaster on a festering wound instead of getting to the root of the problem - what caused the would in the first place and how can we change just political structures so that people don't get wounded in the first place?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@Ender's Shadow

In the UK at least, charitable status is given to churches on the basis that they " advance religion", rather than that they preserve ancient monuments.

If you want the preservation of churches, start a charity for it. Why burden the church with that task?

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
angelfish
Shipmate
# 8884

- Posted      Profile for angelfish   Email angelfish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
What Angloid said.

Why is it assumed that charity is a good thing?

I think it is a bad thing because it enables people to feel good when they have put a sticking plaster on a festering wound instead of getting to the root of the problem - what caused the would in the first place and how can we change just political structures so that people don't get wounded in the first place?

Well put, but sadly "the poor you will always have with you". What you are striving for will not exist while humans are in charge, So we'd better get on with helping the ones who suffer as best we can, rather than shouting "it's the system that's broken!" with our wallets all the while clamped firmly shut. Charity may not be the ideal, but it certainly isn't a bad thing.

--------------------
"As God is my witness, I WILL kick Bishop Brennan up the arse!"

Posts: 1017 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Both/and. It's got to be.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

quote:
Originally posted by Garasu:
@Ender's Shadow

In the UK at least, charitable status is given to churches on the basis that they " advance religion", rather than that they preserve ancient monuments.

If you want the preservation of churches, start a charity for it. Why burden the church with that task?

Because in practice it seems that most churches own and meet in buildings that are at least local landmarks, if not actually listed. This has the result that large amounts of money and effort does get spent on maintaining them, however much we would like it to be otherwise. IF push comes to shove, it's an important burden that the churches ARE carrying, which any move to deprive us of charitable status should address. I suspect the pressure will be on to remove 'advance religion' as a charitable objective; what I'm seeking to offer is reasons to oppose such a move on secular grounds.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by angelfish:
rather than shouting "it's the system that's broken!" with our wallets all the while clamped firmly shut. Charity may not be the ideal, but it certainly isn't a bad thing.

NOT with closed wallets - use the money to support political parties and pressure groups that work to change the system.

Charity is harmful because seduces people into thinking that a little tinkering with corruption will make it OK

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting. I've seen several debates between famous atheists and thiests recently when the theist side produced data showing that Christians gave more to charity than non thiests. I didn't think they would have included church tithes. That's quite sneaky.

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by George Spigot:
I didn't think they would have included church tithes. That's quite sneaky.

?????? The list should include only George Spigot-approved charities? How strange.

--Tom Clune

--------------------

George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
quote:
I didn't think they would have included church tithes. That's quite sneaky.

?????? The list should include only George Spigot-approved charities? How strange.

--Tom Clune

Oh well I'm sure all that money goes to feed the poor and house the homeless.

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard

George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

I've just never seen churches as charity's. A lot of them give to charity I'm sure but that's not the same thing.

--------------------
Philip Purser Hallard

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
I've just never seen churches as charity's. A lot of them give to charity I'm sure but that's not the same thing.

Apparently this is a pond difference. On this side of the Atlantic, "charity" is a tax designation. Some things that do not count as charities do good work, and some things that do count as charities may do work that you see as less than helpful. It has absolutely nothing to do with how you may feel about the group.

--Tom Clune

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Canada, the tax authorities do recognise that some of the stuff churches do is not "charitable" in the sense of giving stuff/money to someone else.

Expenses for the worship space, for instance, get a rebate of the HST (sales tax), while expenses on the hall/kitchen/whatever are not considered to be for "worship"

The salaries of ministers and other workers are taxed just like anyone else's, while the outright gifts are not.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
quote:
rather than shouting "it's the system that's broken!" with our wallets all the while clamped firmly shut. Charity may not be the ideal, but it certainly isn't a bad thing.

NOT with closed wallets - use the money to support political parties and pressure groups that work to change the system.

Charity is harmful because seduces people into thinking that a little tinkering with corruption will make it OK

leo.

Can you please tell us what changes are needed so we can direct our efforts in that direction? Or could you possibly STFU and let such decisions be made through the ballot-box and if people want to give to charity, let them do so.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

@tclune

It must as you say be a pond difference. When I think of charity's the sort of things that come to mind are oxfam, the NSPCC and famin relief efforts.

--------------------
Philip Purser Hallard

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
quote:

Apparently this is a pond difference. On this side of the Atlantic, "charity" is a tax designation. Some things that do not count as charities do good work, and some things that do count as charities may do work that you see as less than helpful. It has absolutely nothing to do with how you may feel about the group.

--Tom Clune

True. Qualification as a charity under US law is governed by the Internal Revenue Code. Once qualified, the charity has special tax treatment allowing donors to take a credit on their taxes for their donations. Additionally, charities do not have to count passive income, among other things.

Churches qualify as a charity unless they do something to mess with that status, like try to influence politics - unless they are conservative and support Republican candidates.* Here. Section 501(c)(3), is what governs what can be a charity and what can't be a charity. The rules have tightened lately.

That being said, giving something of value to some community (goods, services, money) is definitional for a charity.

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
@tclune

It must as you say be a pond difference. When I think of charity's the sort of things that come to mind are oxfam, the NSPCC and famin relief efforts.

Like other charities, churches are non-profit making organisations. If they had to pay tax, as things stand, most of them would have to close. (I'm talking about the UK.) Lots of people would be happy with this outcome, of course.

[ 25. August 2012, 15:28: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
@tclune

This is quite a useful guide to what constitutes charitable purposes this side of the pond. Our charity law (like the US's) has its origin in Queen Elizabeth I's Statute of Charitable Uses of 1601.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
quote:

leo.

Can you please tell us what changes are needed so we can direct our efforts in that direction? Or could you possibly STFU and let such decisions be made through the ballot-box and if people want to give to charity, let them do so.

The OP suggested that conservatives give more to charity than so-called liberals.

My responses were on the lines that conservatives have a vested interest in charity - they can feel good and rest in the knowledge that nothing will really change - the world will continue to have its unjust structures - what tomorrow's epistle calls 'the principalities and powers.'

Those at the top can throw a few crumbs to those down below, wile staying at the top.

What needs to be done? To take our lady seriously in her liberation song, the magnificat - about casting down the rich from their thrones.

The nearest we have got to this ion the UK is the welfare state. The conservatives are busy dismantling this.

Charity aids and abets this dismantling - the more people give charity to local hospitals, the less pressure there is on the state (that's us, the taxpayers) to fund them. That is why i think charity is dangerous and why i believe that Christians should not give to 'charity'.

--------------------

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

quote:
use the money to support political parties and pressure groups that work to change the system.

[Projectile] In the footsteps of Christ, I suppose.

No, thanks. I do some of that (ACLU etc.), but by and large would rather devote my disposable income to something better than a tug of war. Your opponents will only contribute more to lobbying on the other side of the issue and it's a stalemate again. The only winners in that game are profit-making ad agencies, commerical media, and corrupt politicians.

[ 25. August 2012, 17:25: Message edited by: Alogon ]

--------------------

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
use the money to support political parties and pressure groups that work to change the system.

[Projectile] In the footsteps of Christ, I suppose.

No, thanks. I do some of that (ACLU etc.), but by and large would rather devote my disposable income to something better than a tug of war. Your opponents will only contribute more to lobbying on the other side of the issue and it's a stalemate again. The only winners in that game are profit-making ad agencies, commerical media, and corrupt politicians.

I'm not so sure. Changes have occurred in the last century because people campaigned and donated and joined political parties. Britain has a national health service because the population demanded it. Apartheid no longer exists, largely because of political activism, even when governments were busy sucking up to the regime and right wing students were walking around with "hang Mandela" badges. The Jubilee debt campaign got wealthy nations to write off billions in debt. It's not perfect but it is progress. If you refuse to engage in political action then you cede the field to those who will and, to put it bluntly, the Nazis and their fellow travellers are just waiting for the opportunity.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016