homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Prince Harry (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Prince Harry
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
I'm not aware of any carefully cultivated image of Harry's. I am British and live in Britain so have I had my eyes closed for the last few years?

Thank you for that, I thought I was going buggy for a sec.

And anyway, what is the implication of "think of the role model", only saintly perfect people can speak up for kids? As someone in the kid field, I want everyone who has vocal chords speaking up for kids.

No - but with someone who works with children and/or vulnerable people, you might appreciate the safeguarding/child protection aspects of someone who behaves like that.

Evidence of that kind of behaviour would be automatic disqualifier for most school posts even if no offence was committed. You'd question decision making skills, maturity, response to peer pressure to name a few.

Yes it was private but made photographically public. At the very least it demonstrates a lack of maturity that isn't becoming for a children's role model.

You might like to try and turn it round and use it as an example of someone who done something they regret and now apologises for -- we'll just have to wait for H to do it won't we. I'm not holding my breath though.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
This is the issue: a lack of wisdom, control and poor decision making. Not the kind of stuff we want in our officers is it.

If we sacked every officer who let his hair down a bit too much at a party, I suspect that we'd have to disband the army.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

- Posted      Profile for (S)pike couchant     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
quote:
This is the issue: a lack of wisdom, control and poor decision making. Not the kind of stuff we want in our officers is it.

If we sacked every officer who let his hair down a bit too much at a party, I suspect that we'd have to disband the army.
And certainly the entire navy!

--------------------
'Still the towers of Trebizond, the fabled city, shimmer on the far horizon, gated and walled' but Bize her yer Trabzon.

Posts: 308 | From: West of Eden, East of England | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
quote:

How many of them do it in front of a photographer? The "hair down" bit isn't the issue - it's the circumstances and the lack of observation.
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In this day and age of mobile phones, everybody who lets their hair down, is doing it in front of a camera.

And while I'm not standing up for what Harry did - I don't see it as any different to any other person doing something daft on holiday.

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
In this day and age of mobile phones, everybody who lets their hair down, is doing it in front of a camera.

And while I'm not standing up for what Harry did - I don't see it as any different to any other person doing something daft on holiday.

We're not all in the public eye and we're not all tagged by the media. A lot of people don't do daft stuff but still get pilloried - I'm helping a lot of them everyday.

As I've said up post is's not so much the action as the unseemingly bias and partiality in harry's favour that sticks. Money and position talks - but it shouldn't.

Take the example Duke of Edinburgh - he gets a very quick entree for treatment, I've been with people waiting weeks for the same thing. Wrong and sickening.

Mary Archer has an op for bladder cancer, she is seen and has the op in a week on the NHS. Great -she talks about it to the Times. Trouble is other people wait 3 months for the same treatment from the same surgeon.

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
I think what he used as a cue stick matters a great deal.

That, and whether or not he chalked the tip before shooting.

See? That's the kind of thing he's going to hear for the next five or six weeks...
Hey. Some things just have to be said.
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr Tambourine Man
Shipmate
# 15361

- Posted      Profile for Mr Tambourine Man         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've little time for the monarchy but it sickens me that for all people's criticism of the press for their harassment of Diana, they lap up the same intrusiveness when it comes to her sons.

Interestingly enough, when I first heard the story on the radio it was immediately after a story about Jordanian athletes being charged with voyeurism...

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only feeling this affair (snigger) provokes in me is intense gratitude that we can get all het up about it instead of something horrible that could've happened to drown it out, but didn't. Slow news days are always a cause for rejoicing.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by angelfish:
I think it is so sad that he should behave in this way, after all that his sainted mother, Diana Princess of Wales and Queen of hearts(PBUH) sacrificed to ensure he was brought up correctly. She must be turning in her flower-strewn island grave.

I seem to recall that Diana was no prude and liked to party.

--------------------
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. St-Exupery

my blog

Posts: 538 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No - but with someone who works with children and/or vulnerable people, you might appreciate the safeguarding/child protection aspects of someone who behaves like that.

Evidence of that kind of behaviour would be automatic disqualifier for most school posts even if no offence was committed.

Really? 3/4 of the people in my state would never get a teaching job, if that were the case. Since the behavior in question is simply having fairly vanilla sex with other consenting adults.

I don't know how to break this to you, but I can think of several people of both genders, who I have worked with, who are very likely candidates for a nekkid billiard party. (Big Ups to M. And C, at ___ ___ Preschool) With other adults.And I can't think of one I would have had a problem with babysitting my nephew.

quote:
Originally posted by (S)pike couchant:
[/QUOTE]And certainly the entire navy! [/QUOTE]

Heard that. [Overused]

[ 23. August 2012, 22:52: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
Harry has never to my knowledge claimed to be a saint, nor has anyone else claimed it for him. How would prancing around naked prevent you caring about orphans anyway?

And he was not misbehaving in a public place.

[X-posted with The Rogue]

No he hasn't made the claim but his "publicity" has implied as much. We had been fed a diet of "nice young man" to counterbalance the nazi uniform debacle.

No he wasn't misbehaving in a public place but it has become public and made him (and by extendion his family and his nation) a laughing stock. For goodness sake who wants to be ruled by a dynasty who can put their crown jewels into ONE cupped hand?

EM - you have just got yourself another hell-call.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, yes, "a lack of wisdom, control and poor decision making," in places where strangers are around and cameras are likely to be. All while people rush to the defense siting youth, naivity, and kindness to orphans, in spite of the fact that it's is a full grown adult whose main role in life is to represent the country well.

He's just like his mum then, isn't he?

Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I miss Princess Margaret.

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too. She was a class act who used her own hands to cover the nakedness of her male friends. [Votive]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Before the Victorian era and the promotion of the Royal Family as the ideal example of good British Christian values, few people expected the Royals to be paragons of moral virtue. Good Charles II was well known for his multiple affairs and we all know Henry VIII's luck with women.

Harry's recent incident is tame compared to the incident where he was photographed wearing a Nazi uniform. I'm more amazed by his chutzpah at thinking he could outswim American gold medalist Ryan Lochte in Las Vegas than the photos of him in his birthday suit.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely this offsets the Nazi uniform incident though -- getting snapped with a communist star stuck to his bum?

[ 24. August 2012, 01:11: Message edited by: kankucho ]

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He's having fun and enjoying life. If you're not the heir but the spare why not say wtf? He probably had more fun than most of us that night.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matariki
Shipmate
# 14380

- Posted      Profile for Matariki   Author's homepage   Email Matariki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Big deal! What is particularly craven is the British press towing the line; not that it would have made me buy a paper anyway. There is no such thing as privacy anymore and I would have thought he would know this all too well.

One argument I always give for my republicanism is that monarchy is cruel on the royals. I fear we might re-visit the old question; "What is Princess Margaret for?" Apparantly getting pissed a lot, being for ever on holiday and the odd dodgy shag. That's a Club 18-30 fortnight in Ibiza; not a life.

--------------------
"Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accompanied alone; therefore we are saved by love." Reinhold Niebuhr.

Posts: 298 | From: Just across the Shire from Hobbiton | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At least he's attractive enough to get away with it. Rather cute, in fact. [Big Grin]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Young man gets nekkid, in private, in company of other adults consenting to the activity, in Vegas.

Bonus: young man has a form worthy of admiration [Big Grin] .

I wouldn't have done it in my own youth (much less now), but I am so not seeing what the fuss is about. That's Vegas, baby.

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
So what do Shipmates think?

Is is behaviour acceptable, excusable or immoral?

Whatever the answer is, it ought to have precisely zero to do with the individual case. The answer is exactly the same for Prince Harry as it is for you, me, our neighbours, the local supermarket manager and the postman.

Frankly, only asking this question when a high profile person is involved gives credence to the notion that somehow it's more important to answer this question for that person than it is for the general populace. A notion I emphatically disagree with. "Man naked in hotel room" is simply not news. And it doesn't become news just because (1) cameras are now ubiquitous and sitting in everybody's pocket 24/7 and (2) someone without a conscience realised they could make a lot of money just because of who the man in the hotel room happened to be.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Ah, yes, "a lack of wisdom, control and poor decision making," in places where strangers are around and cameras are likely to be.

Exactly how many strangers with cameras do you expect to be in a hotel room with you, Twilight? Suddenly it feels like your behaviour on vacation might be a good deal more interesting than the prince's.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps the more apt question is, Is taking a photo of a naked well-known person in a private hotel bedroom and selling it to the press acceptable, excusable or immoral?

Answer: No, no and yes.

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Suddenly it feels like your behaviour on vacation might be a good deal more interesting than the prince's.

I should certainly hope so.
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Left at the Altar:
Perhaps the more apt question is, Is taking a photo of a naked well-known person in a private hotel bedroom and selling it to the press acceptable, excusable or immoral?

Answer: No, no and yes.

Indeed. Whoever is responsible can reasonably expect to be taken off the Christmas card list this year.

Mind you, it's possible that the person who gave the photo to the media is NOT the person who originally took the photo. There is at least one precedent here in Australia involving a photo of a footballer, and the photo was effectively copied/stolen from the original phone by an opportunist. That is, someone who wasn't actually a friend of the photo's subject and therefore didn't have any ties of friendship to break.

--------------------

Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
True, but I'd have thought that taking a photo of a person playing nudie billiards and passing that photo to anyone else is rather to the wrong side of acceptable.

Even the taking of the photo is dodgy.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[...] Harry's friends are bound to ride him [...]

Or he them.

But as some say, at least he wasn't wearing a Nazi uniform. Seems he is learning.

[ 24. August 2012, 03:48: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As teachers used to say "You've let me down, you've let the school down, you've let the head down and you've let yourself down."

And here I was thinking that letting the head down would mitigate the offence somewhat.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Nice Bod

2. He is really a redhead

3. He is more of a sinner than a saint, here.

4. He needs to grow up.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It seems that his antics are being excused as "letting off steam" befoe a new posting.

There's a whiff of hypocrisy in the reaction: picture a single mother from a run down estate in the same circumstances - the approbrium from the Daily Toilet papers would be along the lines of "Feckless chavs scum etc."

Most employment contracts now have a clause of "conduct" which, if any behaviour is deemed demaning or disrespectful to the employer, renders the individual liable to discipline for misconduct or gross misconduct. Picture a teacher from Markland High School caught in the same way wearing the school tie and plastered over facebook. Good bye career.

Why is Harry Battenburg treated differently? He's not exactly a good advert for the armed forces.

Bollocks. Can you imagine a single mother from a run-down estate holidaying in Las Vegas?

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a wider issue here regarding error of judgement. Is it really wise for a person in his position (potential leader of men kin the military, member of the royal family ect etc) to get so drunk that this should appear like acceptable behaviour.

It shows a certain level of naïveté to think that if you are who he is and behave in that way, then people will not take photographs and sell them for not insignificant amounts of money. AFAIK, anyone else behaving in at way doesn't have his behaviour and genitals plastered all over the press in quite the same way.

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
I've never been a huge fan of Harry's but

You missed the final 't'.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

Meh, it's no one's business. So he gets down and gets dirty with the gals. Big deal.

It would be bad enough having cameras dog you all day in public, and much worse to have your buddies snap you tackle-out over a harmless game of nude pool.

The problem is everyone thinking that he ought to be completely different from your average 20 something bloke.

The royals have bedroom romps, wee, poo, fart, pick their noses and do all the other stuff that their loyal and disloyal subjects do in private (and "in private" can mean "with a few close friends"). It may come as a surprise to learn that, when a Prince and a Princess love each other very much and want to have a little baby, they do what everyone else does - take off their Nazi uniforms and shag on the billiard table. The only difference is, everyone seems to want to watch.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
So what do Shipmates think?

Is is behaviour acceptable, excusable or immoral?

Whatever the answer is, it ought to have precisely zero to do with the individual case. The answer is exactly the same for Prince Harry as it is for you, me, our neighbours, the local supermarket manager and the postman.

Frankly, only asking this question when a high profile person is involved gives credence to the notion that somehow it's more important to answer this question for that person than it is for the general populace. A notion I emphatically disagree with. "Man naked in hotel room" is simply not news. And it doesn't become news just because (1) cameras are now ubiquitous and sitting in everybody's pocket 24/7 and (2) someone without a conscience realised they could make a lot of money just because of who the man in the hotel room happened to be.

Exactly my point. The inexcusable behaviour is from those who took the photos and especially those who sold and distributed them.

The Sun has now printed them - shame on them. "In the public interest"?

Utter nonsense.

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
angelfish
Shipmate
# 8884

- Posted      Profile for angelfish   Email angelfish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothiriel:
quote:
I think it is so sad that he should behave in this way, after all that his sainted mother, Diana Princess of Wales and Queen of hearts(PBUH) sacrificed to ensure he was brought up correctly. She must be turning in her flower-strewn island grave.

I seem to recall that Diana was no prude and liked to party.
Yeees. Keep up.

This morning The Sun have printed one of the photos, citing freedom of the press. I love the way they try to justify smut with their high-sounding ideals. Opportunistic money-grubbing scumbags.

--------------------
"As God is my witness, I WILL kick Bishop Brennan up the arse!"

Posts: 1017 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone way up the thread said William was a 30 going on 60. I think that is a critical point. If it had been William, even before his marriage, it would have been more of a problem. William is expected to maintain the dignity of his position as the family.

Harry, OTOH, is not. He is in the impossible position of being a spare, having no real life plan, unless some disaster happens. If things go according to plan, he has to find his own role in life, while having most possibilities denied him.

And, for those who have forgotten our history, Edward VIII was a party creature not unlike Harry. He caused chaos because he was in line, and George VI had to take on the challenge. That was a difficult situation, but if they had been the other way round, it would not have caused any real constitutional problems.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This morning The Sun have printed one of the photos, citing freedom of the press. I love the way they try to justify smut with their high-sounding ideals. Opportunistic money-grubbing scumbags.

Yes, well, News International thought the "freedom of the press" meant that they could tap into the mobile phones of anyone they pleased, even murder victims.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QB

Nowhere have I seen or heard any comment on the morality of what he did.

[/QB]

Moralality? To quote a former tennis star 'are you serious?' Perhaps we should cover our piano legs as it is only 2012.

To bring in 'morality', perhaps we ought to have the identity of the person who decided to sell the photographs and earn about £10,000 out of them. Publish a photo of the person(s). Let's see.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:
Originally posted by Cod:
[QUOTE]1. Bollocks.

2. Can you imagine a single mother from a run-down estate holidaying in Las Vegas?

1. Quite right - that's what he appeared to be grasping.

2. Location and actual behaviour are immaterial. it's the differential response that is the worst part about the whole thing. Perhaps one person's high jinks and skinny dipping really is another's feckless behaviour, bad example and obnoxious nudity.

The other point - that few people have picked up on - is that Prince Charles allegedly asked for the pictures not to be reported. They weren't, at least until the Sun broke ranks. I'm surprised that the Express hasn't run a Diana story on the back of it.

What gives him the right to make those kind of demands - no "ordinary" UK citizen has that opportunity or even that power. That has made the whole sad issue even sadder.

[ 24. August 2012, 08:32: Message edited by: ExclamationMark ]

Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

If someone handed photos of me starkers to the press, I think I'd ask for them not to be published too.

Demand and ask are not quite the same.

I think every person has the right to ask that nude photos of them are kept off the front page.

--------------------

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's publish a photo of the person who SOLD the pictures to the press. And publish their address.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What gives him the right to make those kind of demands?

**NEWSFLASH**
Charles is Harry's dad in case anyone was unaware!

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

- Posted      Profile for (S)pike couchant     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's probably worth pointing out that HRH never wore a 'Nazi uniform', i.e. a uniform that was ever at any point in history associated with membership of the NSDP. What he did wear was an Afrika Korps uniform. It's an important distinction, because the Afrika Korps was a regular army unit and its commander was never a member of the Nazi Party and was indeed no great fan of Adolf Hitler. Indeed, the Afrika Korps was perhaps the only major unit of the German armed forces during the Second World War that has been treated largely sympathetically by Anglo-American popular culture, and not wholly undeservedly so. Rommel's claim that the North African campaign was 'Krieg ohne Hass [war without hatred]' was, of course, not true — there has never been a war without hatred — but efforts were made to ensure that it was fought with greater respect for humanitarian conventions than was normal during the Second World War.

Rommel is widely admired amongst professional soldiers, as he was admired by his contemporary enemies, so an officer cadet like Henry Wales would certainly know all of this.

As a choice of costume, it didn't show great judgement, but it is emphatically not the case that he went around dressed as a Concentration Camp guard or something like that.

--------------------
'Still the towers of Trebizond, the fabled city, shimmer on the far horizon, gated and walled' but Bize her yer Trabzon.

Posts: 308 | From: West of Eden, East of England | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...Prince Charles allegedly asked for the pictures not to be reported. They weren't, at least until the Sun broke ranks. ... What gives him the right to make those kind of demands - no "ordinary" UK citizen has that opportunity or even that power. That has made the whole sad issue even sadder.

To ask is one thing, to demand is another and to have the power to force people to comply is yet another. He was entitled to ask; he did not have the power to insist.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Evidence of that kind of behaviour would be automatic disqualifier for most school posts even if no offence was committed. You'd question decision making skills, maturity, response to peer pressure to name a few.

IWell, It shouldn't be.

But I'm just grumpy that I have to go to a lot of pains to make sure that no photos are taken of me when I'm cavorting naked in hotel rooms. (Step 1 generally involves not cavorting with random girls picked up in the hotel bar)

[ 24. August 2012, 10:05: Message edited by: ecumaniac ]

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
I'm not aware of any carefully cultivated image of Harry's. I am British and live in Britain so have I had my eyes closed for the last few years?

Thank you for that, I thought I was going buggy for a sec.

And anyway, what is the implication of "think of the role model", only saintly perfect people can speak up for kids? As someone in the kid field, I want everyone who has vocal chords speaking up for kids.

It might well disqualify for school posts these days - as such a view is such neo-Victorian bollocks.

I didn't need to do anything more than a quick scan of the post to know that the phrases 'vulnerable' and 'safe-guarding' would appear somewhere in quick and breathless succession.

--------------------
sebhyatt

beatmenace
Shipmate
# 16955

- Posted      Profile for beatmenace   Email beatmenace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was wondering if the Royal Bodyguards were doing during this. Where i work you can't get into some parts of the organisation without handing over your phones to security, so wouldnt it have made sense for HRH's goons to confiscate any phones - preumably they are Special Branch and would have had a good idea of what was happening - they are picked for being smart. They should certainly have done so afterwards if it was known that photographs were actually taken. (Doesnt exclude the possibility of MMS being sent out though).
Although its quite possible they were not aware of it which is even more of a glitch. Now its known you can get to this member of the Royals with a simple 'Honey Trap', potential kidnappers will no doubt have taken note carefully.

--------------------
"I'm the village idiot , aspiring to great things." (The Icicle Works)

Posts: 297 | From: Whitley Bay | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Harry is fast-becoming this generation of Royals' Randy Andy.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Harry is a very silly young man who has made too many bad choices. I think it is time the Family pulled him into line.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016