homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Café now testing (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Café now testing
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

- Posted      Profile for Melon   Author's homepage   Email Melon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seems to be working at present.

I think there are three main categories of problem here:
  1. The software crashes. It happens, when it happens it throws everyone out and sends us an email, and it restarts itself 30 minutes or so later. We have rewritten all the code at least once since the version currently running the café, so we don't anticipate trying to fix the current version - we hope to do a wholesale upgrade in the next few months.
  2. Individuals can't get in because of firewall issues, java issues, ISP issues or r-in-month issues. We can only try to fix those problems one case at a time, and, in any case, the problem isn't something we can control
  3. Sometimes Internet connections blip, and chat-type connections are much more sensitive to that than website browsing. That's just life.

So unless the café goes down for everyone and doesn't come back up, as happened last week, or unless it starts going down for everyone several times a day, there isn't a lot to say, which is why I haven't been following this thread that closely.

--------------------
French Whine

Posts: 4177 | From: Cavaillon, France | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
rebekah
Shipmate
# 2748

- Posted      Profile for rebekah   Email rebekah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't get into the cafe either. My computer seems to be treating it as a file (a file of which is it quite suspicious too!) and asks me, if I really want to open it, what programme I want to open it with, and I don't know what to reply.

Any suggestions?

--------------------
grow in grace

Posts: 117 | From: rural Western Australia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

- Posted      Profile for Melon   Author's homepage   Email Melon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's an easy one. You need to upgrade java. Google 'download sun java' and follow your nose.

--------------------
French Whine

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rebekah:
I can't get into the cafe either. My computer seems to be treating it as a file (a file of which is it quite suspicious too!) and asks me, if I really want to open it, what programme I want to open it with, and I don't know what to reply.

Any suggestions?

Rebekah - what operating system are you running on your PC... and what version of Sun Java?
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in, but no one else is (they must see me coming).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I understanding correctly? You mentioned to Sir Kevin that Mac OS 10.4.11 is too old to use the cafe? So we need to pay for some kind of sprocket or something from Apple? I sure didn't expect to have this kind of trouble before the thing was even 2 years old! I guess we will have to see how much it costs....apparently we didn't get the latest OS when we bought the computer in the first place. At least this is one of the first situations in which it's actually been a disadvantage to have a Mac.

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zeke:
Am I understanding correctly? You mentioned to Sir Kevin that Mac OS 10.4.11 is too old to use the cafe? So we need to pay for some kind of sprocket or something from Apple? I sure didn't expect to have this kind of trouble before the thing was even 2 years old! I guess we will have to see how much it costs....apparently we didn't get the latest OS when we bought the computer in the first place. At least this is one of the first situations in which it's actually been a disadvantage to have a Mac.

Yup.

You'll have to buy a service pack from Apple (actually, going from 10.4 to 10.5 is like going from XP to Vista).

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB576?mco=MTcwNDk1Mw

Will cost you 85 quid.

rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did we capsize, or did I just fall?
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Option a), m'dear. [Frown]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's back on. As if we didn't have anything else to do... [Disappointed] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I spoke to a person at Apple about Leopard--it costs $129.00, but she says I may get a discount on it if I complain enough about getting an outdated OSX when I bought it.

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Emma-Jean
Shipmate
# 7165

- Posted      Profile for Emma-Jean   Author's homepage   Email Emma-Jean   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just get "Unknown Error: User attribute is of the wrong type", I used to be able to get on though... what's that about?

--------------------
"It is important to remember that for every oxidation there must be a corresponding reduction, and vice versa. When 4 electrons are formally removed from ethanol... they do not simply vanish" - Dr. Hultin

Posts: 422 | From: Winter-peg | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

'User attribute is of the wrong type' usually means that there's some exotic character in your user name (which is what you should be using to log on, not your screen name).

OS 10.4 should be able to cope with the café. But...

... my wife failed to get into our French St Pixels service on Saturday and, on my return, it looks like java has broken on my (OS 10.4) Mac. This is probably good news, because, with Gwaelod's help, I might work out what the problem is and how to fix it.

--------------------
French Whine

Emma-Jean
Shipmate
# 7165

- Posted      Profile for Emma-Jean   Author's homepage   Email Emma-Jean   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it the hyphen then? Is there a way to work around it?

--------------------
"It is important to remember that for every oxidation there must be a corresponding reduction, and vice versa. When 4 electrons are formally removed from ethanol... they do not simply vanish" - Dr. Hultin

Posts: 422 | From: Winter-peg | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

PM me your user name and I'll look into it.

--------------------
French Whine

Gwaelod
Shipmate
# 6140

- Posted      Profile for Gwaelod   Email Gwaelod   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just made a few changes to counteract the bugs Apple introduced in their latest Java 5.0 version, and the Cafe now works with Mac OS 10.4 again.
Posts: 230 | From: Cardiff | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

I think the café should now work for those with hypens in their user names.

--------------------
French Whine

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Monsieur Le Melon/M Le Pease: Rufiki's posted over here about another Java problem which affects the Cafe. Can you help? Thank you. [Smile]

--------------------

rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I managed to get into the cafe! The problem appeared to be with the shortcut I had set up. Have now got in using the Java control panel, which is less convenient but at least I know the problem is my end.
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No big deal but just a bit puzzled as to why I can receive *private conversatio*n messages but not initiate them - double clicking an avatar does absolutely nothing.

I have:

Java SE 6 version 1.6.0_07
Mac OS X (10.5.5)

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have the same issue, on Linux, but with the same version of Java.

Just adding a datapoint. I rarely want to PM someone anyhow.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

I cannot replicate that error (Linux with java 6).

--------------------
French Whine

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

AAAGGGGGGHHHHH! Just got dumped!
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Indeedy. Rough seas, eh? [Disappointed]

[ETA: Ok again.]

[ 19. November 2008, 22:25: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How come the cafe just blows up in my face and gives error messages instead of opening as it did earlier this week?

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

It is protecting the other users? [Devil]

Apart from the Russian Roulette that is Apple Java support, we've identified an occasional issue on St Pixels where users have ended up running several copies of the software at once. Rebooting your machine (if you don't usually switch it off) would fix that (and switching off your computer would help save the planet, or something, too).

--------------------
French Whine

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It isn't Melon. Sir Kevin has been into the café several times today.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there a problem? I was in earlier today on wi-fi, but couldn't get in with a mobile connection. Now wi-fi has stopped working.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You haven't logged out on the other computer

You are still showing as there.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I cant download the cafe on my computer... but I have done in the past!! It went to computer hospital to be stripped and had new things put in it.

When I click on the cafe bit I get asked;

"do you want to save this file or find a program online to open it?" with options of find/save/cancel.

If I save it it then tells me its an "unknown file type" and "cannot open this file" with the option of looking online for the right programme....ARGG

I've tried it in IE and in firefox, same problem...

What should i do?!

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My WinXP PC wants to upgrade its Java to 6.10. Any known issues between the Cafe and this version of Java?

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ship cafe won't let me login [Frown] Says I am unregistered.

Specifically, it says:

Socket thread started
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<contexts>
<user_context xmlns:xcr="http://xcruciate.co.uk" id="a2731" name="reception"/>
</contexts>'
Context changed event fired
<commands/>

Round trip = 0 milliseconds
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<abilities>
<user_ability xmlns:xcr="http://xcruciate.co.uk" id="a2732" name="visitor"/>
</abilities>'
No consumer for nodes with name of 'abilities'
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<xcr:available_commands>
<xcr:command name="commands"/>
<xcr:command name="describe_commands"/>
<xcr:command name="describe_command"/>
<xcr:command name="registered"/>
<xcr:command name="unregistered"/>
</xcr:available_commands>'
New commands incoming
Command list complete for current context
New commands event fired
<registered pass="x" user="y"/>

Round trip = 328 milliseconds
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<xcr:message category="term" message_id="registered_login_failed">Login attempt failed</xcr:message>'
Disconnected

(Where x is my password and y my username.)

I am using Java 6, only thing that has changed since last time I used the cafe is that I updated my email address in profile and therefore had to change my password back from the auto-generated one once I logged in again.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You don't log in with the username as it appears on the boards, you use the one you registered with.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yup, didn't use Doublethink, used the other one.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Melon:
Apart from the Russian Roulette that is Apple Java support, we've identified an occasional issue on St Pixels where users have ended up running several copies of the software at once. Rebooting your machine (if you don't usually switch it off) would fix that (and switching off your computer would help save the planet, or something, too).

I must do that more often at home. At school, I always shut down the computer for the weekend. I really do try to be green! My house is green and so is the roof and one of the cars.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
When I click on the cafe bit I get asked;

"do you want to save this file or find a program online to open it?"

What should i do?!

Install Sun Java.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I'm still unable to get into the cafe - and this thread seems to ahve eaten the post I put up saying that [Confused]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Resaved my profile and password, cafe now working. Not sure why it worked, but it worked.

--------------------

Gwaelod
Shipmate
# 6140

- Posted      Profile for Gwaelod   Email Gwaelod   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:
My WinXP PC wants to upgrade its Java to 6.10. Any known issues between the Cafe and this version of Java?

We're now onto Java 6.11 which I've tested without issues.
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's interesting to know that other Mac users have cafe trouble. The pace of most cafe conversation is uncomfortably fast for me, in any case, but I'm happy to know why I was never able to get to this one.
Gwaelod
Shipmate
# 6140

quote:
Originally posted by Jahlove:
No big deal but just a bit puzzled as to why I can receive *private conversatio*n messages but not initiate them - double clicking an avatar does absolutely nothing.

I have:

Java SE 6 version 1.6.0_07
Mac OS X (10.5.5)

I've just been trying this with OS X (10.5.6) with the latest Java update and all seems to work fine. Remember you can't have a private conversation with yourself, not in the Cafe anyway.
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We were both in the cafe, on Sunday, I think it was, and she had to type in the main chat window to ask me to initiate a private conversation with her. She couldn't begin one with me from her computer. I had no trouble. As I understand it, this is an ongoing thing.

(edited because "was" and "is" are two different things and both words are not required)

[ 23. December 2008, 18:59: Message edited by: lily pad ]

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

Just crashed out... and can't get back in.
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwaelod:
Remember you can't have a private conversation with yourself, not in the Cafe anyway.

Shame [Big Grin]

(srsly tho', that function don't function for me - but, as mentioned, no big deal)

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The cafe just crashed on me, and won't let me log back in. The error console gives the following message when I try to reconnect:
code:
Socket thread started
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<contexts>
<user_context xmlns:xcr="http://xcruciate.co.uk" id="a189" name="reception"/>
</contexts>'
Context changed event fired
<commands/>

Round trip = 812 milliseconds
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<abilities>
<user_ability xmlns:xcr="http://xcruciate.co.uk" id="a190" name="visitor"/>
</abilities>'
No consumer for nodes with name of 'abilities'
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<xcr:available_commands>
<xcr:command name="commands"/>
<xcr:command name="describe_commands"/>
<xcr:command name="describe_command"/>
<xcr:command name="registered"/>
<xcr:command name="unregistered"/>
</xcr:available_commands>'
New commands incoming
Command list complete for current context
New commands event fired
<registered pass="*****" user="davelarge"/>

Round trip = 1188 milliseconds
Buffer position = 0
Received XML = '<xcr:message category="term" message_id="registered_login_failed">Login attempt failed</xcr:message>'
Disconnected

(Note that I've blanked out the password field, but what was written there was correct.)

Any thoughts?

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry you crashed. We are still in. Maybe try again after rebooting?

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

dave - you were showing as still in the café until very recently - you're now showing as left, so you should be able to get back in now.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, I tried again just now and it was working fine. No one else there though [Frown]

Sorry about that, one and all. Nothing personal, I promise.

[Edited to add: Also, sorry for borking the thread width with the code in my previous post. [Hot and Hormonal] ]

[ 24. December 2008, 22:10: Message edited by: davelarge ]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Crashed currently.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Oh no, it's not!

You're still showing as present though Wes

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016