homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Ship's Liberal Consensus (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Ship's Liberal Consensus
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Isn't 'charismatic Anglican' a contradiction in terms?

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
The Ship has such a wide variety of views, from people I would avoid in real life - it keeps me grounded.

How do you mean grounded?
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:

With a lower case C, yes.

[ 27. August 2012, 20:13: Message edited by: mdijon ]

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
leo:
quote:
The Ship has such a wide variety of views, from people I would avoid in real life - it keeps me grounded.

This reminds me of a really liberal friend I was talking with the other day. She was rhapsodizing about the liberal utopia (in the US!) that was just around the corner. I told her that she didn't talk to enough conservatives. She was horrified- she'd never talk to conservatives! I told her that she only saw a sunny, liberal future because she only talked to liberals.

She wasn't convinced. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
Given that the list of active members includes Orthodox, RC, Baptist, Methodist (and its cousin, UCoC), Anglican, atheist, agnostic, ...(several others) and those "wandering in the rubble of faith", all spread over at least three continents

Six, by my count.

And, don't forget the Quakers, the Buddhists, the Zen-turned-Catholics, and the odd Pagan. The infrequent Muslim doesn't seem to stay for long—more's the pity. I guess I'm playing diversity bingo, but have we any Hindus or Animists?
quote:
Originally posted by Yerevan:
vacant see of Buggery-on-the-Wold

Yerevan, is that the sister see to the American Diocese of East Bumfuck?
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
...Just a request that they follow board rules and acknowledge they're going to get asked to defend their line in the sand with facts, reason, and logic.

This is the thing - "facts, reason, and logic" mean different things to different people.
No, I'm pretty sure they mean the same thing to everyone. Just because we form different opinions based on facts, reason, and logic doesn't mean they are altered at their core.

Of course, when you start to confuse your own opinion with facts, reason, and logic-- that way lies madness and political office.

quote:
[QUOTE]In the same way, people sometimes say they have "proved" they are right and the other (non-liberal) view wrong. Who says so?

This is a contest? We're getting points now? There's a judge handing out awards? Why does someone have to be right and someone else have to be wrong? Why can't we all lay our opinions out, try and poke holes in them, and then at the end of the day, go out for a beer (or cup of tea, as your wont)?

Frankly, Mark, you're reminding me a lot of this classic xkcd comic.

[ 27. August 2012, 20:52: Message edited by: Spiffy ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I do know of at least one person, possibly two, who are members, but never post on the boards for much the same reasons I have stated.

Could it be that some long term members (10 yrs +) are "respected" in such a way that they put off new mambers or less frequent visitors from getting involved in the discussions?

Personally, I wouldn't think it could be that. I lurked for a while before picking up the courage to post here. Frankly, I'm embarrassed to remember how confrontative I was, at times, especially to some of the founding members of the Ship.

Now, I'm here about ten years and have never found any lack of people disagreeing with my views or telling me when, in their opinion, I've got it wrong or am being deluded. There are many posters here whom I'm sure would rather stick forks in their eyes than agree with a single sentiment I post. Sometimes I can even understand why!

Here's how I see it working. If someone has a decent argument to contribute to a debate they'll find others who agree backing them up, so long as they don't make total pricks of themselves in the process. Nobody wants to be allied with a prick. They'll also find other people who disagree with them, disagreeing with them. If that all seems like too much for particular dispositions to deal with, I can understand why engaging with debate is stressful for them. Though the variety and sometimes strength of opinion can be disconcerting.

It's much easier to concentrate on the issues rather than the egos - especially one's own.

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
..but middle-class charismatic Anglicans (the HTB set, if you will) are certainly not underrepresented!
Really? I can't actually think of any obvious HTB types on the Ship. In fact HTB and Alpha seem to get thoroughly slated on here. Seriously, the obvious bias is towards Anglicanism. Hence all those 'Whether the Anglican Communion?' and 'Lets discuss candidates for the vacant see of Buggery-on-the-Wold' threads.
But I think one of the great dynamics of the Ship is we all have different perceptions. When I think of SOF I think of Orthodox and Catholic Shipmates, I think of Freddy and Mudfrog, the Buddhists, and quakers. I think of the American Episcopalians who seem so different to my understanding of Anglicanism in many ways; the high church set who think that wearing a cassock on the street and calling their minister 'Father' is normal. And the no-church lot who gave up on religion but still want to know God. And of course the atheists who are part and parcel of the Ship - and I hope will always be so.

The predominance of Anglicans, or Middle of the Road/liberal ideas, when it exists, is not an object or goal of the Ship.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I do know of at least one person, possibly two, who are members, but never post on the boards for much the same reasons I have stated.

That reminds me of a song.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
It is next to impossible to have a meaningful discussion of whether you are being subject to prejudice / discrimination if you are not willing to give specific examples.

We try to host even handedly - but without specific examples of the decisions you wish to query it is not possible to give you an explanation of a given decision nor - if appropriate - an apology.

One example is this Purgatory thread where I got a hostly warning where other more "respected" posters making personal insults against me received nothing. Maybe I was out of order at times, but I would also argue that some of them crossed the line. But it seemed to me that because they went with the Ship's liberal consensus they had nothing to fear.

Anyway, I thought I'd turn it into a more general discussion, rather than for it to be just about me, because I've noticed it for others who don't adhere to (what seems to me to be) the liberal consensus.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Anyway, I thought I'd turn it into a more general discussion, rather than for it to be just about me, because I've noticed it for others who don't adhere to (what seems to me to be) the liberal consensus.

Did you also notice that they didn't start Styx threads about it?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
It is next to impossible to have a meaningful discussion of whether you are being subject to prejudice / discrimination if you are not willing to give specific examples.

We try to host even handedly - but without specific examples of the decisions you wish to query it is not possible to give you an explanation of a given decision nor - if appropriate - an apology.

One example is this Purgatory thread where I got a hostly warning where other more "respected" posters making personal insults against me received nothing. Maybe I was out of order at times, but I would also argue that some of them crossed the line. But it seemed to me that because they went with the Ship's liberal consensus they had nothing to fear.

You are still going on about this being a 'ship's issue' without providing examples. Please link to a few actual posts, not a thread of many pages.

Ta muchly.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I'm so "respected" I recently got banned for 2 years.

It hasn't come to that yet - I haven't even been on the Ship that long!

quote:
...And very definitely more 'Guardian reader', to use a UK specific reference.

Aha... THAT'S what I was trying to get at - Guardianistas, although it won't mean much to those across the pond.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

OK, give some specific examples of that, then. Without them you are still just making unsupported claims.

Don't believe me? Acquaint yourself with the basics of making a coherent argument.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

My hostly decision on this was as follows: You have started a few threads on the same topic, and every time anyone disagrees with you on them, you attack them instead of addressing the content of their disagreement. I tried to address this concern privately to no avail. Therefore, I felt that the good order of Purgatory required that you be warned about the way that you were conducting your posts.

I agree that there were some folks willing to join in on the personal attack festivities, but the source of the disturbance in the force was you in my hostly judgment and so I intervened accordingly. I have also issued other warnings to stay on topic to the rest of the group. While I recognize that you do not share my view on this, that was the basis for my hostly intervention.

--Tom Clune, Purgatory Host

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You mean this post ?

[Crosspost]

[ 27. August 2012, 22:04: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

quote:
quote:

Well, that should be very easy to prove then. What were these personal insults against you? They should be there in that thread in black and white.

I recall you saying that I had personally insulted you because I labelled your OP as - in part - childishly narrow-minded. I replied to your post, which I trust was satisfactory. I certainly set it out very clearly! But maybe you think that when someone dislikes your views or objects to your style of posting this is some form of ad hominem attack?

I was also, incidentally, one of those whom T Clune reminded in a hostly admonishment to stick to the point! Which naturally I observed.

So let's hear the personal insults you've suffered on that thread which the Purgatory Hosts chose to overlook, in your opinion.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
BTW & FWIW I firmly and vehemently deny that I am theologically liberal.

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
Well, that should be very easy to prove then. What were these personal insults against you? They should be there in that thread in black and white.

I recall you saying that I had personally insulted you because I labelled your OP as - in part - childishly narrow-minded. I replied to your post, which I trust was satisfactory. I certainly set it out very clearly! But maybe you think that when someone dislikes your views or objects to your style of posting this is some form of ad hominem attack?

I was also, incidentally, one of those whom T Clune reminded in a hostly admonishment to stick to the point! Which naturally I observed.

So let's hear the personal insults you've suffered on that thread which the Purgatory Hosts chose to overlook, in your opinion.

I think we're done with this particular incident now - I only referred to it because people insisted I give an example. The topic was supposed to be more of a general discussion, but on reflection maybe I did misunderstand the purpose of Styx threads.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:

Not according to the church I attended during much of the 1990s. We were certainly unusual, but I hope we weren't a contradiction.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The topic was supposed to be more of a general discussion, but on reflection maybe I did misunderstand the purpose of Styx threads.

Yeah, maybe. Styx is impersonal, Hell is personal, Purg is civil. This has all been reasonably civil, maybe you could ask for a kindly H&A relocation.
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

Yeah, but you are nice to gay people and even believe them if they say they are Christian. Ergo, you are a liberal.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
StevHep
Shipmate
# 17198

- Posted      Profile for StevHep   Author's homepage   Email StevHep   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Aha... THAT'S what I was trying to get at - Guardianistas, although it won't mean much to those across the pond.

I post quite a lot on the Guardian site and it has a very different feel from this one. My limited experience here makes me think this is more liberal in a BBC way than in a Guardianista one. Which in US terms probably means more like NPR or PBS than New York Times.

--------------------
My Blog Catholic Scot
http://catholicscot.blogspot.co.uk/
@stevhep on Twitter

Posts: 241 | From: Exeter | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

Yeah, but you are nice to gay people and even believe them if they say they are Christian. Ergo, you are a liberal.
Busted.

--------------------

Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is an important distinction between saying a post is childish or an idea is asinine, and saying that the person posting is an ass. It is perfectly acceptable on the Ship, and even expected, to attack ideas, statements, or claimed facts that you don't agree with - that is part of discussion. But it is not permitted (outside of Hell) to attack the person.

Some Shipmates take a while to understand the distinction, and in the meantime may feel that they are being personally attacked, when it is really their ideas and statements that the other comments are aimed at.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

People who never change their minds may come to identify so closely with their beliefs that they cannot distinguish themselves from their words.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just noticed this thread. One poster suggested that the ship is populated by those who would have had coffee at the university chaplaincy and perhaps that is a fairly accurate description of its feel (to me). I would have described it as thoughtful rather than liberal, although the occasional student of my posts will note that I am perpetually kicking at "liberal" liturgics and find myself drifting more and more to an agreeably and humanely mediaeval Anglicanism, but I am more politically located in Liberal (Canadian version) circles. Either way, I like the gentle challenges to my positions and, with perhaps two exceptions, have tried to respond accordingly. I come here for different perspectives which somehow manage not to be hostile ones.

The consensus which exists is social, that we can have a common meeting ground. Such places are rare in real life, and rare in Cyberia. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Too right, AtA.

As a meta-note, "You should know what I'm talking about" or "You should guess what I mean", especially when combined with an inability to or a refusal to provide specific examples, are strong, strong, strong poison in individual and group relationships. It's toxic in work relationships, it's toxic in personal relationships, it will screw up any organizational relationships.

Use. Your. Words.

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
maybe I did misunderstand the purpose of Styx threads.

Let's upgrade that "maybe" to a "probably", and end this thread before I start inflicting my more specific opinions on everyone and make the baby jeebus cry.

If a specific concern/complaint/question/comment about a particular Crew action comes to mind, start a new thread in The Styx. If the liberal progressivati's tracheal clutch on The Ship is sufficiently interesting to falsify, try Purgatory. I suggest everything else be conducted in Hell, because mostly you all suck.

-RooK
Styx Host

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016