homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Shipmates who blog (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Shipmates who blog
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I started my first blog yesterday - but not as myself. I write as a fictional character called Sylvie Thredds, living in a fictional rural community (The Wolds).
This was started by a few of the many people who had joined the BBC Archers blog to complain about the incident that marked the programme's 60th anniversary. It was decided that it would be much more fun to create our own stories. It has been a matter of trial and error, as we are all inexperienced bloggers and we are undergoing our second reorganisation at the moment. There are a couple of communal blogs, in which we can all write posts, and several written by individual characters, on which we can all comment. Until yesterday I had just posted on the communal blogs, but have decided that it will be more enjoyable to make a proper contribution with Sylvie's own blog.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is Much Going on in the Wolds anywhere near Much Binding in the Marsh?

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
Is Much Going on in the Wolds anywhere near Much Binding in the Marsh?

I think they may be twinned.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
Basically, I am going to be incredibly short of money this year. So I decided to make penury more fun by making a one-year project out of it. I'm intending to include various money-saving tips and recipes, but mainly just to do some lighthearted blogging on the various discomforts, social embarrassments, and the general lack of chocolate!

Oh boy, am I going to be following that! Going from full-time to part-time work has its drawbacks, and I need all the helpful ideas I can get!

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:

[removed extraneous comma so the link would work]

Thanks, jedijudy.
You're welcome! [Smile] I live to serve!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For years I've thought about blogging (stroking my own ego, and giving me a motivation to get back into writing Stuff) but have fought shy because most of what I could write about entertainingly could easily be extremely hurtful or destructive to the people that provoke the writing. Not intentionally, and not even if they were to read it and read it in the right way; but the opportunity for mis-interpretation and sensitivity is such that it wasn't really worth the risk.

However, I've just dipped my toe in the water shortly before this thread popped up. I'm hoping it will help me order my thoughts a bit more, possibly inspire me to find the time to write poetry again, and generally foster a bit more creativity. Unfortunately it's liable to be a bit higgledy piggledy, and cover a bizarre mix of techy ranting (work-based) and worship/church ranting (personal).

When there's actually some content up there I'll add it to the sig ...

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Snags, if it's poetry you're interested in writing, I've found that a good writers' group helps - I'm fortunate that there are several around here - and of a very high standard indeed.

If you've not done that already, I'd recommend it. The blog can fit in with that but there's no substitute, I find, to 'workshopping' your work with other poets.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Gamaliel, it's not something I've ever done, so I shall give that some thought. Not sure what would go to make way for it, though!

I used to write a reasonable amount of awful teen angst stuff when I was a student (hey, I was studying English, it was almost compulsory) and had both the time and the hubris to indulge my mawkishness and consider it to be insightful. In the last few years I've written, very hurriedly, companion pieces for specific projects, and it reminded me how much I enjoy doing it, but it's something I really need both space and focus to achieve - and currently have neither.

My problem is I'm a dilletante without the independent wealth to allow me to be one!

--------------------

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I work 28 hours a week, I am doing a thesis as well and I find time to write poetry. The secret is exactly what Gamaliel says, finding a writing group. A good one will provide both the incentive to write and the support to become a better writer.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The start of my blogging coincided with the arrival of a digital camera, so the first few years were just plain fun

I've found that blogging kinda comes and goes....both the posting on it ....and the reading of it

Havin friends all around the place, means that we don't always meet up but it's good to see what's going on in each others lives.And family as well, my kids are all flown the nest, some of them like to peek into my life every now and then and see what's going on. Then there is stuff that maybe i wouldn't be talking about on the phone calls.... or that wouldn't reach facebook... nor yet even an email...or a text.

In an ideal world I would run one blog and that would be that. My world is not ideal and I havn't yet found a way for that to work. So there are two and i should throw 'em up here.

I think that main aim is to be just as friendly as you want to be ( no more and no less), leave comments on others blogs, be interested...and interest-ing........and Have Fun:)

Snags
# 15351

Jengie, thanks for the encouragement, but trust me, I really, really don't have the capacity to take on a writing group right now, unfortunately. Which doesn't mean I won't in the future; it's an intriguing idea.

Howver, right now I'm burning the candle at both ends just keeping on top of my existing work, domestic and 'by choice' commitments, and that's after cutting some of them out. The process of addressing this is on-going, so it's probably a case of watch this space, rather than "Yeah, right".

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Note to self - posting an art review on the blog is really scary. Someone might read it who - [Eek!] - knows what they're talking about!

--------------------

birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Too right. I posted a review of that big Gormley exhibition a few years ago and veered between apologising for talking arty nonsense and panicking that someone who knew better than me would read it.

Turned out fine in the end.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once made a mistake on my blog by attributing a piece of music to the wrong composer (similar names) - one of the comments was from him correcting me. I cannot believe he reads my blog normally, so guess he was googling himself after the concert to see how popular he was!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:

So, what do others blog?

Yours looks very swish Adeodatus. I like the bookshelves motif. [Smile]

I blog a theological scrapbook.

Bits and pieces I have found that I like/love/strike me.

I then use it as a reference url when discussing certain things with people on the ship or the net.

Works well.

Still haven't worked out how to reply properly to posts tho or delete certain links or add widgets or add this that and the other etc ad naseum.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Caty S.

I read, therefore I am.
# 11996

- Posted      Profile for Caty S.   Email Caty S.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always worry whenever I post reviews of books by living authors, especially if I didn't like the book. I keep expecting them to turn up and argue with me - although it's only ever happened once, and the author in question was very nice about it. It doesn't help that I always feel horribly guilty about saying anything negative about anything or anyone in the first place.

And I dare not post sermons, although I have occasionally posted very short, very vague musings on Bible readings. I am always worried that someone better qualified will come along and point out to me why what I have said is wrong and heretical.

My blog subtitle probably ought to be either 'Can't we all just get along?', 'Professional fence-sitter', or 'But I might be wrong about this'.

Posts: 2119 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
Yours looks very swish Adeodatus. I like the bookshelves motif. [Smile]

It's just one of the standard background that Blogger offers. Good, though.

(I'm meaning to read David Bentley Hart's book soon by the way - I've heard very good things about it.)

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually write reviews on Amazon after I've either loved or hated a book. I was very surprised after I panned Chris Bojalian's Double Bind, when he came along and argued with me about it. I rather thought he lowered himself to care what the likes of me might think. Besides he had hundreds of rave reviews to focus on.

I blogged a short book a few years ago and might do another one. It's slightly more fun than just writing one in a spiral notebook. Someone might actually be reading it! Then again, maybe not. I know I almost never read other people's blogs.

Do those of you who write blogs, read very many?

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I blog but I think I'm all blogged out. (blog is on my profile). Between all my tweets, facebook, e-mails and now having a boyfriend, I don't seem to have the desire to blog as much. So it stays there...maybe I'll blog tonight quickly.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
do i Read blogs?

well yes
[Smile]

why?
because it's encouraging... mostly.

I do have a stash of blogs which are guarenteed to make me smile, it's cheaper than chocolate, more healthy than resorting to wine and less time consuming than therapy

Caty S.

I read, therefore I am.
# 11996

- Posted      Profile for Caty S.   Email Caty S.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read blogs. Some are personal, including blogs of several shipmates and people I know elsewhere on line. Some are blogs about religion, politics, books, history etc. Some are cartoons.

There are a few - maybe a couple of dozen - I read regularly. That is, I am subscribed to the feed and keep (more or less) up to date. Although since I got talked into joining Twitter recently, these are currently a bit neglected unless the authors are also on Twitter and posting links to new blog posts.

I also have a large number (about 150, I think) bookmarked, and look them up periodically. Not in strict rotation, but most of them get looked at three or four times a year. Sometimes they get promoted to regular reading; sometimes the regular ones get relegated. I'm fickle.

Posts: 2119 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:

(I'm meaning to read David Bentley Hart's book soon by the way - I've heard very good things about it.)

Intro was great. Then the first hundred odd pages were slow. HUGE amounts of early Christian history (he's arguing we didn't suppress science).
[Snore]

But now it's getting much better.

And thanks to this thread, I've been a good girl and cleaned the place up a bit.

Got my link to the Ship looking all nice and snazzy down the bottom. [Smile]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd been thinking about blogging, it was on my "to do" list, and this has prompted me to get it onto my "ta da" list. It's simply so that anyone curious can see how preparations are going for a project I'm going on later this year, and maybe I'll be able to do some "on the spot" blogs too.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've written a blog since I moved to Texas a few years ago. I don't think I would have done one if I hadn't gone to a different country, because I mostly just write about everyday activities. The "English person abroad" slant gives it the interest. I fairly regularly have people tell me they enjoy it, which gives me the impetus to keep going, and also it's nice to have a record of what we've seen and done. Since Little Man was born it's also a good way to share photos. It's mostly just for friends and family so I haven't actively promoted it, but I do link to the posts on FB so people know when I've updated.

blog

[ 06. July 2011, 20:50: Message edited by: Martha ]

Posts: 388 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OhSimone:
I go through phases with my blogs - my usual approach to any new interest I have in life is to start a blog about it... The one I've kept up most consistently is this one, which basically details my and my wife's visits to all sorts of random little towns, on the basis of what we can get from the charity shops there.

That's you?? I read that. Love it.

I've been blogging for a few years. Pretty erratic, thought I've just started it up again. I really like blogs that have a focus: religion, food, style, music. So thought originally I'd blog around food and faith. But it expands.....

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A wee note for Adeodatus: I wanted to comment on your blog (to say I love your painting), but couldn't as with Blogger blogs I need the Name/URL option enabled (although wibsite blogs are powered by wordpress, the OpenID option doesn't recognise them as they don't have wordpress in the address). Wondering if you're able to enable the Name/URL option, as I'm enjoying seeing your work but can't comment [Smile]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
OhSimone
Shipmate
# 16414

- Posted      Profile for OhSimone   Author's homepage   Email OhSimone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
quote:
Originally posted by OhSimone:
I go through phases with my blogs - my usual approach to any new interest I have in life is to start a blog about it... The one I've kept up most consistently is this one, which basically details my and my wife's visits to all sorts of random little towns, on the basis of what we can get from the charity shops there.

That's you?? I read that. Love it.

[Hot and Hormonal]
Posts: 198 | From: The Black Country | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, this thread's certainly given me some new blogs for my reader. I'll be needing to build an extension before too long!

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
A wee note for Adeodatus: I wanted to comment on your blog (to say I love your painting), but couldn't as with Blogger blogs I need the Name/URL option enabled (although wibsite blogs are powered by wordpress, the OpenID option doesn't recognise them as they don't have wordpress in the address). Wondering if you're able to enable the Name/URL option, as I'm enjoying seeing your work but can't comment [Smile]

Thanks, Jack the Lass. Umm ... I think I've done what needs doing. In the settings menu I've set "Anyone" to be able to comment.

... and there's another painting up now. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
I started my first blog yesterday - but not as myself. I write as a fictional character called Sylvie Thredds, living in a fictional rural community (The Wolds).
This was started by a few of the many people who had joined the BBC Archers blog to complain about the incident that marked the programme's 60th anniversary. It was decided that it would be much more fun to create our own stories. It has been a matter of trial and error, as we are all inexperienced bloggers and we are undergoing our second reorganisation at the moment. There are a couple of communal blogs, in which we can all write posts, and several written by individual characters, on which we can all comment. Until yesterday I had just posted on the communal blogs, but have decided that it will be more enjoyable to make a proper contribution with Sylvie's own blog.

Roseofsharon - another blog I've been enjoying lately which is similar to yours is The Beaker Folk of Husborne Crawley Does anybody else here follow this one? It's a sort of mixture of shipoffools meets The Archers with an ecclesiastical sprinkling.

I'm wondering whether it's sometimes easier to maintain a blog's input and bring out what you want to say by taking on a fictional persona (ae) like this.

Any thoughts?

p.s Thanks to you hosts for dredging this thread back up from the depths of Oblivion.

Please, keep posting here on all things bloggery or this will be sent plunging back down into the bog.

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm glad it's back too - I was busy bookmarking all the blogs when it sunk.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Erleuchte
Apprentice
# 16533

- Posted      Profile for Erleuchte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Call this a cynical attempt to by a new Ship deck-swab to drive new traffic to his blog if you will. You probly right! [Two face]

I'm blogging my vocation discernment process here:

http://erleuchte.wordpress.com/

...now off to the "Whom shall we send?" thread to do the same!

E

Posts: 12 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

quote:
Originally posted by Erleuchte:
Call this a cynical attempt to by a new Ship deck-swab to drive new traffic to his blog if you will. You probly right! [Two face]

E

Good idea. They're a very supportive lot over there.

Now, I just know I'm going to show myself up as a complete ignoramus, but what
does your blog title mean?

--------------------
Growing Greenpatches

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by Miffy:
Roseofsharon - another blog I've been enjoying lately which is similar to yours is The Beaker Folk of Husborne Crawley Does anybody else here follow this one? It's a sort of mixture of shipoffools meets The Archers with an ecclesiastical sprinkling.

Interesting.
Although I don't know how The Beaker Folk got the idea that Much of the Goings on in The Wolds are church-based. There is a church, St Sebastian's, (see the reference back to The Archers [Biased] ?) in the village of Much Muttering in the Midden, but it doesn't play a huge part in the lives of many of the blogging set.

quote:
I'm wondering whether it's sometimes easier to maintain a blog's input and bring out what you want to say by taking on a fictional persona (ae) like this.

I find that fictional characters need to have thoughts and ideas of their own. Otherwise they would just be the blog owner using a pseudonym - which is what many bloggers do anyway.
Not all of the Wolds bloggers find it easy to make the separation between their fictional and RL personas, but as I 'run' two separate characters I have to try and make them recognisably different from each other, and not necessarily much like me.

--------------------

Archdruid Eileen
Apprentice
# 14046

- Posted      Profile for Archdruid Eileen   Author's homepage   Email Archdruid Eileen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Interesting.
Although I don't know how The Beaker Folk got the idea that Much of the Goings on in The Wolds are church-based. There is a church, St Sebastian's, (see the reference back to The Archers ?) in the village of Much Muttering in the Midden, but it doesn't play a huge part in the lives of many of the blogging set.

RoseofSharon You are quite right. It was the combination of references to coffee, interesting characters and a village/parish setting that did it. I have corrected immediately. But I still think you've an interesting blog and concept.

And I still don't see what the Beaker Folk have to do with the Archers..... (I know it wasn't you said that!)

--------------------
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

Posts: 1 | From: Husborne Crawley | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

Aw, it's back! How lovely.

I've just checked out the Beaker Folk blog and it looks superb. One of those "I wish I could write like that" moments.

I'm currently blogging about a painting I'm doing. Scary at first, submitting the whole process to the public gaze. But I'm now rather enjoying it, and finding that the blogging is actually helping the painting. And I'm nearly finished!

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Archdruid Eileen, welcome aboard ... travel well, avoid the hellions, become addicted like the rest of us ... [Biased]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Archdruid Eileen, welcome aboard ... travel well, avoid the hellions, become addicted like the rest of us ... [Biased]

...and the same to Erleuchte! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by Archdruid Eileen:
It was the combination of references to coffee, interesting characters and a village/parish setting that did it.

You didn't find mention of our standing stones, then?
That was probably too far back - they only get the occasional visit from passing hippies. I can see that the spiritual life of the village needs enlivening.

--------------------

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:

As long as it doesn't distract you from your blog, of course!

It was me wot likened the Beaker Folk to the Archers - mea culpa and all that - on account of the drama, the tension, the suspense, the larger than life daftness, the lure of the tealights...
[Biased]

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
quote:

Interesting.
Although I don't know how The Beaker Folk got the idea that Much of the Goings on in The Wolds are church-based. There is a church, St Sebastian's, (see the reference back to The Archers [Biased] ?) in the village of Much Muttering in the Midden, but it doesn't play a huge part in the lives of many of the blogging set.

quote:

I find that fictional characters need to have thoughts and ideas of their own. Otherwise they would just be the blog owner using a pseudonym - which is what many bloggers do anyway.
Not all of the Wolds bloggers find it easy to make the separation between their fictional and RL personas, but as I 'run' two separate characters I have to try and make them recognisably different from each other, and not necessarily much like me.

You say your characters have thoughts and ideas of their own. I wonder - do they ever run amok and say or do something totally different to what you'd originally intended?

--------------------
Growing Greenpatches

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
You say your characters have thoughts and ideas of their own. I wonder - do they ever run amok and say or do something totally different to what you'd originally intended?

They do often wander down conversational side-roads that were not planned when I started typing. At the moment (this blog is still very young and small)I have trouble remembering which 'voice' I am posting in, and trying to give them thoughts that aren't mine.
Maybe one day one of them will take off on her own and surprise me. That would be fun!

--------------------

jordan32404
Shipmate
# 15833

- Posted      Profile for jordan32404   Author's homepage   Email jordan32404   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I blog at: http://solideogloria10.blogspot.com/
Posts: 268 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Erleuchte
Apprentice
# 16533

- Posted      Profile for Erleuchte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Erleuchte:

E

Good idea. They're a very supportive lot over there.

Now, I just know I'm going to show myself up as a complete ignoramus, but what
does your blog title mean?

"O, Come and enlighten" see the About page. E
Posts: 12 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

Thank you. That's enlightening. [Biased]

Have you discovered our Benedictine Oblates support thread? Currently lurking on page 2 or 3 of All Saints. Would post a link - only my pc is suffering from one of its intermittent attacks of UBB allergy.

And welcome to the thread, Jordan 32424.

--------------------
Growing Greenpatches

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually have two blogs, but only one is worth mentioning: The Barefoot Friar. I do a daily prayer guide for the church bulletin that I post on my blog. The idea for that came about when I had a list of people I was trying to remember to email the guide to every week and mostly failing. Now I can post it up, add pictures and videos if I want, and it's easier for me to remember than a list of emails. I also write articles about liturgy and worship and whatever else strikes my fancy.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One point which bloggers might like to consider is style and accessibility - anyone with dyslexia or visual stress (And many people have one or other of these without knowing it) will really struggle with a white font on black background. They are then likely to click away from your blog without reading it at all.

The best colours (usually) for people with these difficulties are the Ship's colours.

I know we can change it on our computers - but then the background becomes all one colour - which is also harder to read.

Text on various background 'blocks' is really helpful (Once again like that excellent site called the Ship of Fools uses)

[Smile]

[ 14. August 2011, 13:55: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

That's a good point, Boogie and one that applies to other media as well. You can experience problems reading as part of the natural ageing process. My eyesight is not as keen as once it was. I struggle to read white against a coloured background. Magazines like The Big Issue are the worst culprits, and until recently, Greenbelt. Though I notice this year's Essential Info leaflet is dark grey on a white background; a vast improvement on their usual white or black on orange or turquoise shades.
Ferdzy
Shipmate
# 8702

- Posted      Profile for Ferdzy   Author's homepage   Email Ferdzy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Missed this thread first time round!

My blog is pretty exclusively on the topic of local food and can be found here:

http://seasonalontariofood.blogspot.com/

Posts: 252 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by Ferdzy:
Missed this thread first time round!

My blog is pretty exclusively on the topic of local food and can be found here:

http://seasonalontariofood.blogspot.com/

Some nice recipes there!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016