homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Shipmates who blog (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Shipmates who blog
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Um ... am I allowed a bit of own-trumpet-blowing? It's just that today's blog entry contains a significant bit of information about a competitive arts exhibition I've submitted work to. Information that has had me looking like this - [Big Grin] - all weekend.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's great news Adeodatus! I don't live far from Sale and will go and see it.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OOOOOOOOOh, get you, you proper artist! Well done!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
birdsoftheair
Shipmate
# 15219

- Posted      Profile for birdsoftheair     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fantastic and glad you are blogging again!
Posts: 1069 | From: under 180 degrees of sky | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do any of you seasoned bloggers have advice for an absolute beginner?
I'm going to start a blog with a view to keeping a travel diary, starting with my upcoming trip down under.
So I'll be using my shiny new ipad (other tablets are available!)
Does anyone have experience of using a blogging app?

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think quite a lot of us use the Wibsite. I found the people there helpful and it was easy to set up too. But equally I have a blog with blogspot which was ridiculously easy to set up.

I can't offer much more advice, but I'm sure others will be able to. Can you download photos easily to your i-pod might be a relevant question. But equally, it might not be.

What's great is that you can plan your holiday now!

--------------------
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, Dormouse, it's a great feeling. I'm certainly going to appreciate this holiday even more than I would have done had I not had the health scare.
I've bought the piece of kit that enables me to put photos on my ipad from my camera so that shouldn't be a problem.
Maybe I should look into the wibsite...

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Little Miss Methodist

Ship's Diplomat
# 1000

- Posted      Profile for Little Miss Methodist   Author's homepage   Email Little Miss Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tree Bee, I blog with Wordpress and i've found it excellent. It's easy to use and has lots of options and inserting a picture couldn't be easier. Previously I used Livejournal and it was incredibly clunky in comparison.

--------------------
Tell me where you learned the magic,
The spell you used the day you made me fall....

Posts: 1628 | From: Caretaker of the Overlook Hotel | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got a guest post on somebody else's blog today which I'm quite excited about as hers is higher-profile than mine... [Big Grin] You can see it here: Domestication vs. Foreignisation via Red Rage

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Forty blogs of Lent is me taking something on rather than giving something up.

Anyone care to join me in Lenten blogging?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam:
The Forty blogs of Lent is me taking something on rather than giving something up.

Nice idea. Not this time, but I might do something special next year. Is the idea to blog about something special, just to post every day, or what?

I keep meaning to go through this thread properly and get a list of blogs to follow, rather than picking them up haphazardly, but something always comes up to distract me.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Nice one, Balaam. I like the idea of taking something on for Lent, rather than (or as well as) giving something up. I've been trying to blog more frequently since the turn of the year, though I won't be managing one post a day!

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Please excuse my greenness...
I now have my blog thanks to the wibsite, and I've been playing around with it.
Two problems:
1. The text I filled in when setting up my page for the 'about' section hasn't appeared.
How can I enter text here now I've dismissed the Word Press set up page?
2. I attempted to include a photo that I'd put on my pc from my camera. It couldn't be added as the file was too big.
How can I easily add a photo? These will be an important part of my blog.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi TreeBee

Re Q1): if you go into your dashboard and go down the left hand column to 'Pages', and click on that, you will then get a list of pages of which 'About' is one (probably the only one). If you then click on that it will take you to the edit box, write what you want and then click on 'Update' over on the right.

Can't help with the photos (though I did just send a comment to your blog, it's being held in a moderation queue). How big are your photos? Were you posting it from flickr or other such site, or using upload/insert at the top of the text box to add a photo from your computer? I mention in my comments it might be a feature/bug of your chosen blog template, that might make a difference.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Umm..hate to confess ignorance and total technical ineptitude, but how do I put a link to my blog in my sig?

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like it's there to me, but if anyone else wants to do it, I use the UBB thread in the Styx, then copy and paste to the sig from there. Two tabs or windows open in the browser helps.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
Hi TreeBee

Re Q1): if you go into your dashboard and go down the left hand column to 'Pages', and click on that, you will then get a list of pages of which 'About' is one (probably the only one). If you then click on that it will take you to the edit box, write what you want and then click on 'Update' over on the right.

Can't help with the photos (though I did just send a comment to your blog, it's being held in a moderation queue). How big are your photos? Were you posting it from flickr or other such site, or using upload/insert at the top of the text box to add a photo from your computer? I mention in my comments it might be a feature/bug of your chosen blog template, that might make a difference.

Thanks Jack.
In 'pages' there's only 'All Pages', in which no pages are found, and 'Add new'. Daughter Erin uses Word Press and has been trying to help me this morning but there appear to be many fewer features available on my blog than on hers.
We could find no way to add text to the 'about' section.
By adding the Word Press app to my ipad we found that altering the size of a photo is an easy option there. So that's what I've done.
A third question - I'd like a 'follow this blog' area, but once again this doesn't appear to be an available option.Anyone know how I can add this?
We browsed other templates to see if it would be more straightforward elsewhere with no joy.

I'm wondering if I'm on probation as a newbie and new features will be added later?

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Dormouse

# 5954

So where do we find your blog, TreeBee?

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

I've found it:

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

I've found it, and I am so inept that I failed to link to it [brick wall]
treebee.wibsite.com
Try that.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
quote:

Nice idea. Not this time, but I might do something special next year. Is the idea to blog about something special, just to post every day, or what?
Just to post something about faith, church or God, ranging from deep theological stuff to testimony to frivolous things like why cats are Anglicans. As it is 40 blogs in Lent you get Sundays off.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Looks like it's there to me, but if anyone else wants to do it, I use the UBB thread in the Styx, then copy and paste to the sig from there. Two tabs or windows open in the browser helps.

Sorted! Thanks.

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Me! I'm re-entering the world of blogging to write about one thing I am thankful for each day in Lent.

Lent Positivity

Jen

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This might be the best place to mention that I've just had an unfeasibly good week for hits on my blog, thanks to some unintended SEO. I posted something early in the week about the forthcoming Dawkins-Williams debate, and subsequently got a large number of hits, mainly on Thursday afternoon, from related search terms.

My hit rate's been steadily increasing, but now my daily hitcount history looks like a more or less flat line with one huge skyscraper. It's quite depressing in a way.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

I keep getting the same comment in a foreign language from the same email address.
There have been 5 in the last 24 hours.
I mark them as spam but they keep coming. Anything I can do?

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

As you're on wibsite, yes.

Go to the wibsite home page under "This just in" you'll see "Getting spam?"

Follow the links. (Make sure you are logged into wibsite first though.)

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Brilliant, thanks Balaam.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by Jenny Ann:
quote:

Me! Lent Positivity
That's very .... um .... pink.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't update my blog much... Whenever I have something short to say, my desire to say it can be satisfied by a Facebook post, usually.

I'll post longer things on it, though, from time to time.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
This might be the best place to mention that I've just had an unfeasibly good week for hits on my blog, thanks to some unintended SEO. I posted something early in the week about the forthcoming Dawkins-Williams debate, and subsequently got a large number of hits, mainly on Thursday afternoon, from related search terms.

My hit rate's been steadily increasing, but now my daily hitcount history looks like a more or less flat line with one huge skyscraper. It's quite depressing in a way.

I had a skyscraper when someone linked to an atheist poster on my blog.

Looking at my stats recently I've been interested to note two posts that are regularly hit are:

1) an excerpt from Bonhoeffer on community
2) Martin Luther's views on depression.

They don't get nearly as much traffic as the atheism posts but they get hit very regularly.

Interesting.

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I drivel happily on, largely undisturbed by hits ...

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ophelia's Opera Therapist
Shipmate
# 4081

- Posted      Profile for Ophelia's Opera Therapist   Author's homepage   Email Ophelia's Opera Therapist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Every so often my blog takes on a bit of a Ship flavour. I've been here a bit the last week or so trying to work out what I think about the redefining marriage issue, and grateful for the range of views. But other times my blog is more about music or films or what have you.

HeartenSoul blog

My sister always gets more hits than me. But I'm not bitter [Biased]

OOT

--------------------
Though the bleak sky is burdened I'll pray anyway,
And though irony's drained me I'll now try sincere,
And whoever it was that brought me here
Will have to take me home.
Martyn Joseph

Posts: 979 | From: Birmingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

One of the joys of taking my custom over to blogger has been the discovery of what I've nicknamed the rolling bogroll.; you know, the one that continuously updates with snippet views of your favourite blogs. Such fun! For some reason I'm finding myself far more drawn to 'visit' other bloggers than before and to explore their blogrolls in turn.

So far it's working in a similar way to my membership of a bookgroup; I'm pulled outside of my comfort zone to read stuff I'd not have selected off my own bat. Whether or not this is beginning to be reflected in my posts is another matter. Time will tell.

--------------------
Growing Greenpatches

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heh, I was ill last weekend and that fuelled a bile-filled rant about gay marriage (with an associated slightly provocative Facebook link) - that day my blog got more than twice as many hits as it had on any previous single day!

I'm now wondering what to write about next as it feels like the only way from here is down... [Big Grin]

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

It was good, though. [Smile]

Anyway, it could be worse - my best daily total is still 3x my next best. Worst of all, I know that my "big day" had nothing to do with me or my writing, and everything to do with people searching for the Dawkins-Williams debate, so even if I wanted to, I couldn't attempt to replicate it.

--------------------

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
Heh, I was ill last weekend and that fuelled a bile-filled rant about gay marriage (with an associated slightly provocative Facebook link) - that day my blog got more than twice as many hits as it had on any previous single day!

I'm now wondering what to write about next as it feels like the only way from here is down... [Big Grin]

Yes. I can imagine that'd be a hard act to follow!
[Smile] Looks as if you're managing fine so far IMHO.

I'm finding simplicity - well...relative simplicity - is helping me become more focussed with the new blogging adventure. Whilst not exactly all bells and whistles, the old Greenpatches was beginning to get cluttered with all sorts of widgets, buttons and goodness knows whatsits, at the expense of the actual content. I find stilling the monkey mind in prayer to be tricky enough without extending the chaos into the blogosphere!

Treated myself to three teeny tiny moleskin notebooks last week: one for blog ideas, one for arty bits n bobs, the third as a mini- journal and general distraction catcher. They fit nicely into a handbag and I'm hoping they'll help me catch those pesky critters and harness them for a more positive purpose.

--------------------
Growing Greenpatches

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Finding things to blog about is difficult. I decided to do forty blogs in Lent (I get Sundays off from posting) and now I'm over half way through finding something new to say is getting harder.

I've made it easier on myself by using some of the days to re-post some of the things I'd previously posted on the no longer existing St Pixels site and Monday's blog is about something that happened at church on Sunday.

At least I have tomorrow's, which is about the spiritual significance of eating badger.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Miffy:

I'm now wondering what to write about next as it feels like the only way from here is down...

Yeah I've had that problem - i launched an attack on the Archbishop of Sydney because he was being a supercillious dickhead - I've never had as many hits before or since ... (but mine on the other hand is dry and boring anyway)

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:

I'm now wondering what to write about next as it feels like the only way from here is down...

Yeah I've had that problem - i launched an attack on the Archbishop of Sydney because he was being a supercillious dickhead - I've never had as many hits before or since ... (but mine on the other hand is dry and boring anyway)
Zappa - touched though I am to have you attribute the above to me, it's actually South Coast Kevin's quote.

I don't have the courage to launch bile-filled attacks on my blog, tempted though I am at times...
[Big Grin]

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

quote:
Treated myself to three teeny tiny moleskin notebooks last week: one for blog ideas, one for arty bits n bobs, the third as a mini- journal and general distraction catcher. They fit nicely into a handbag and I'm hoping they'll help me catch those pesky critters and harness them for a more positive purpose.

Thanks for your kind words, Miffy. 'Distraction catcher' - great phrase! May it be so with your lovely new notebook.
quote:
Finding things to blog about is difficult... I've made it easier on myself by using some of the days to re-post some of the things I'd previously posted on the no longer existing St Pixels site and Monday's blog is about something that happened at church on Sunday.

I read some advice from a veteran blogger that it's partly just about the discipline of blogging regularly, even if you don't feel you have inspiration at that particular time. I'm not sure how I feel about the idea of posting something that I think is, frankly, rubbish just for the sake of posting something, but the discipline is important, I guess. If you think you have a gift (or just a desire) to write, then get on and write!

And good idea about re-posting stuff from elsewhere, I think. Fresh inspiration might strike you and it's perfectly possible that someone else could read it and be greatly encouraged, challenged, stirred up...

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's my blog's birthday this month: I've been consistently blogging now for exactly 9 years, always on the same topic. Bet you can't guess what that is. [Biased]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
It's my blog's birthday this month: I've been consistently blogging now for exactly 9 years, always on the same topic. Bet you can't guess what that is. [Biased]

Weeellll....Let me see now... [Biased]
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I started blogging, I worried about not having anything to say - I write about local gossip and what it's like to live in the Town of Books. I occasionally went three days without finding anything new to talk about, but very rarely more than that, and these days I tend to have a list of three or four subjects ready to go (especially as I'm involved in a couple of local campaigns now, which require updates).

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Perkin
Apprentice
# 16928

- Posted      Profile for Perkin   Email Perkin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thats an interesting point about having things to say but waiting - having a bit of a waiting list.

Whats a good frequency for blogging do you think?

Posts: 40 | From: Plumstead Episcopi | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

quote:
Originally posted by Perkin:
Thats an interesting point about having things to say but waiting - having a bit of a waiting list.

I suppose if you're purely blogging for your own benefit or to share news / events with a defined group of people, then just blog when you feel the urge. But if you feel you have something to share with a wider audience then, apparently, the more frequently you post something, the more likely it is that your blog will get picked up by search engines.

Personally, I try and write something at least twice a week and I also have a bit of a waiting list, or at least an ideas bank. I've got 3-4 ideas at the moment and intend to put one up tonight - I've not had time since the weekend.

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
quote:
Originally posted by Perkin:

I suppose if you're purely blogging for your own benefit or to share news / events with a defined group of people, then just blog when you feel the urge. But if you feel you have something to share with a wider audience then, apparently, the more frequently you post something, the more likely it is that your blog will get picked up by search engines.

Personally, I try and write something at least twice a week and I also have a bit of a waiting list, or at least an ideas bank. I've got 3-4 ideas at the moment and intend to put one up tonight - I've not had time since the weekend.

That sounds about right. I didn't know that about search engines, but in general terms, I aim for about 2 a week and try to make sure I don't let it drift for more than a week between posts in any case.

And I agree entirely about the waiting list - I often think of things I could write about. I started with a couple of things I thought I might want to write about at some point, and that's now risen to more like 30! Some are mostly finished and just need a bit of polish, some are ideas which still need to be written up, and some are vague itches that I want to explore, but I'm not sure where to start.

If I want to write about a current event, I either get it out quickly, while the story's live (probably within 48 hours of the news breaking), or else try to find an angle that's been missed or neglected. I can't always react as fast as I'd like, but I don't see much point in posting late to repeat things which have already been done to death.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Psst! Gumby! Your PM box is full.)

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
(Psst! Gumby! Your PM box is full.)

Oops! [Hot and Hormonal]

Clear now.

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great Gumby, I totally agree about current events. There's no point in me doing a re-hash of the local paper; I have to find something a bit different to say about the event, or choose things that the local paper wouldn't be interested in.
At the moment, I'm doing a long term project I'm calling Small Business Saturday, taking a photo of every small business in town that I can find and posting one every Saturday with a brief description. There are an awful lot more small businesses here than I thought there were when I started! I haven't even got near the main shopping streets yet.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

As a travel diary my blog has been serving its purpose well, I'm pleased with it.

I decided once I'd got home I'd tackle again the problems I've been having in adding content to the area on the right that is always there.
(This probably has a name I'm unaware of.)

But it's like banging my head against a brick wall, I can't figure out how to do it.

I've asked for help from one of the hosts but the answer is vague and I'm still lost.

I'd like to amend the 'about' section, add an avatar, have a 'follow' tab, have a list of blogs I follow etc.

I may have to abandon it and start afresh.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016