homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » JULY BOOK GROUP: T. Pratchett's "Thief of Time" (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: JULY BOOK GROUP: T. Pratchett's "Thief of Time"
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome, everyone! [Smile]

This month's book is Terry Pratchett's "Thief of Time". It's one of my favorite books, and IMHO has some of TP's best plotting.

Please post on this thread if you plan to participate, just so I have an idea of how many to expect. Anyone may join, and people are free to drop in after we start, too.

We generally start around the 20th of the month. If that doesn't work for you, let me know.

On the 20th, I'll post a list of questions, just to get the conversation going. (This is not a test, and you don't have to answer them!)

Please don't discuss the book before then--don't want to give spoilers, and it's more fun if we start together.

Ready, set, READ!
[Yipee]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moved from shelves to bedside. Looking forward to rereading.

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay !

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in.

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll have to hunt in the non-sorted part of my book store. I know I've got it somewhere. One of those I particularly like, too.
(Moved in to new home with no shelves, books packed according to size not subject. Books from father's house as well. Put up some but not all shelves and unloaded books. Collected and shelved history books in chronological order, putting displaced books in gaps created by removal of hostory books. Ditto with weird, mythology and women's ditto. Thus any other themed books will have been condensed together, but not in any order. Some are behind things. Ho hum.)

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I can find it, I'll join in. The bookcase in the bathroom seems a good place to start...Pratchett himself suggests that all the really good books end up in the "smallest room".

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Diomedes
Shipmate
# 13482

- Posted      Profile for Diomedes   Email Diomedes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just dug out my copy, haven't re-read it recently,so I'm in too!

--------------------
Distrust simple answers to complicated questions

Posts: 129 | From: Essex England | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I re-read this several times a year - it's one of the books I can open at any point and start reading. In the middle of a house move so it's boxed up somewhere (I suspect a friend's garage) but I could always splash out on the kindle version, or just participate from memory.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LOVE this book!

I'm in.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me, too! [Yipee]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Found it. After a confusing moment when I found Tony Hillerman's book with a similar title. And read half of it last night. And the small hours of the morning. It is amazing how much time was absorbed by the search and the reading. Thief of Time indeed.
Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it was constipation was the thief of time.

I'll get me coat ...

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Just Me
Shipmate
# 14937

- Posted      Profile for Just Me     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't know if I'll actually make it to discussing the book - but reckon I'll re-read it.

J

Posts: 104 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So many intelligent, interesting people love Terry Pratchett that I thought I would like his books. I tried to read The Colour of Magic and just couldn't get through it--didn't like it at all. Am I reading the wrong book? Is there some other Pratchett novel I should start with? I really feel that I am missing out on something.

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Colour of Magic is an early one in the series, when Pratchett was still feeling his way with the Diskworld. It might be worthwhile trying one of the later books - if you are reasonably clued in to Rock and Roll, you might find Soul Music makes a good read.

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lord Pontivillian
Shipmate
# 14308

- Posted      Profile for Lord Pontivillian   Author's homepage   Email Lord Pontivillian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
If I can find it, I'll join in. The bookcase in the bathroom seems a good place to start...Pratchett himself suggests that all the really good books end up in the "smallest room".

Last time I saw it, I think, it was on the wall shelves in the middle room.

--------------------
The Church in Wales is Ancient, Catholic and Deformed - Typo found in old catechism.

Posts: 665 | From: Horsham | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Darllenwr:
The Colour of Magic is an early one in the series, when Pratchett was still feeling his way with the Diskworld. It might be worthwhile trying one of the later books - if you are reasonably clued in to Rock and Roll, you might find Soul Music makes a good read.

I am about as un-clued-in to Rock and Roll as anyone I know. Would "Thief of Time" be a good one to start with? I don't know how much prior knowledge of the discworld universe is necessary in order to get what's going on in the later books.

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some people have to try different Disc World books before they can find the right gateway. I sure did.

"Wyrd Sisters" finally worked for me. It's to do with magic and royalty in the rural kingdom of Lancre.

"Witches Abroad" is another good one with the Lancre witches, out on a mission.

"Carpe Jugulum" has witches and vampires and living your faith. Oh, my!

"Mort" has Death hiring an apprentice.

"The Truth" has the wild city of Ankh-Morpork getting its first newspaper. Think Randolph Hearst. You also get Commander Sam Vimes of the Nightwatch police; and Lord Vetinari, the Patrician and ruler of A-M.

"Moving Pictures" is about A-M's alchemists inventing movies!

That should give you a start. The book we're reading this month could also be a great starter.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll second Thief of Time as one of the Discworld books that's a good 'way in'. As with most Discworld books it helps if you are at least a bit au fait with the concepts that are being played with, in this case martial arts movies and time manipulation. It was the first Discworld book that my flatmate (a decidedly un-prolific shipmate) read and helped her get into them.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are four (or five) series of Discworld books, plus a few one-offs.

Series One: Rincewind. Starts with the very first Discworld book, the Colour of Magic. It was ok at the time. But while the quality of Pratchett's other novels went up, I don't think the quality of the Rincewind series went up with it. I wouldn't bother with any apart from Unseen Academicals, the most recent, in which Rincewind is only a minor character anyway.

Series Two: The Witches. Technically starts with Equal Rites, but really gets going with Wyrd Sisters. I think Wyrd Sisters was Pratchett's masterpiece - his first novel to be a complete success. My favourite series, although it's now been taken over by a young adult series.

Series Three: Death. Starts with Mort. I personally don't think it becomes successful until Hogfather and Thief of Time, but a lot of people like Soul Music.

Series Four: The Watch. Has now largely taken over the Discworld - I think every second Discworld book that isn't a young adult is now a Watch book if not more. Starts with Guards! Guards! and has been pretty successful all along. Although much as I like Sam Vines as a character, I'd also like to see Granny Weatherwax as a lead in an adult book.

Series (five): Moist. Moist appeared comparatively recently but is the lead in two books: Going Postal and Making Money.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you like opera, theatre or musicals then Maskerade is a hoot. Particularly if you know Phantom of the Opera.

Wyrd Sisters is a good one for Shakespeare lovers.

The only two I have never wanted to re-read are the first two (Colour of Magic/Light Fantastic) - after that, things get good!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Dafyd--

Have you read "Carpe Jugulum"? Granny W. most definitely has the lead in that.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Have you read "Carpe Jugulum"? Granny W. most definitely has the lead in that.

Carpe Jugulum was long enough ago to have a Josh Kirby cover. That must be more than five years ago. (Checks what the date actually was - [Ultra confused] [Ultra confused] )

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

Thanks for the advice, y'all. I have just ordered "Thief of Time" from Amazon and should get it Friday or Monday. So I'll be (I hope) reading along with the rest of you.

--------------------

Save a Siamese!

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I quite like the Witches books for younger readers in the Pratchett oeuvre. They seem to be to be about becoming who you are called to be, and are deeply vocational in its truest sense.

And I love Tiffany Aching...go girl!

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

...and just got "Wyrd Sisters" for my kindle. Don't know anything about martial arts movies, not heavily into musicals (though I do like opera and some theatre), but I love Shakespeare, so I'll probably read that one first.

Thank so much for helping me.

--------------------

Save a Siamese!

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in! (I think I signed up for May but didn't join in as I failed to read the book, but I know I will roar through a Pratchett, and I don't think I have read this one!) [Yipee]

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fuff
Apprentice
# 14655

- Posted      Profile for Fuff   Email Fuff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read "Small Gods" first then every other one didn't seem as good.

I've started Thief of Time today though. [Biased]

Posts: 22 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Re "Thief of Time" and martial arts, etc.:

IMHO, you DON'T have to know anything about them. They've been a minor interest of mine for a long time, and I was a big fan of the old "Kung Fu" TV series (with David Carradine). I almost mentioned in the OP that KF fans might especially like the book, but I was afraid of putting other folks off.

You'll pick up everything you need to know in the book, I think.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll check the local branch library in a few hours: I don't have the budget to buy new books right now and Zeke does not need it for her Nook (e-reader) at the prices they are asking...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Thief Of Time is about martial arts? How on earth did I miss that when I read it ?

Time to unearth it from the bookshelf, dust it off and open it again, obviously.....

I would also recommend Wyrd Sisters as one of the best starting points into Discworld. The first two books can be ignored quite safely for a good long while, IMO.

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh, the Pratchetts are one of the few sets of books that are a) together and b) findable since our move! Have pulled this one off the shelf and started re-reading it. I normally read very quickly and miss alot, so am trying to take it a bit slower and take more in. I've already noticed one pun that I'd skipped over on my several earlier readings... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I shall have a go at this discussion. I've read Thief of Time in the past, and have downloaded the audiobook.

Cattyish, off to the garden with the Thief.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Darllenwr:

When I was teaching, back in the early 1980s, several children in my year 6 class wanted to know if I'd read 'Truckers' and were quite shocked to know that I hadn't heard of TP! I took it on a train and thought what a weird book, but since I had nothing else to read, I carried on. By the time I got to the middle, I was creased up with laughter! So then I started to read straight through the Disc World series but didn't really 'get it' until I'd reached about book 6. Just recently I have read 'Colour of Magic' and 'Light Fantastic' for the first time since then, and realise just how clever they were. I'm not going to participate here, but will definitely be reading the discussion.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I shall have a go at this discussion. I've read Thief of Time in the past, and have downloaded the audiobook.

Cattyish, off to the garden with the Thief.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Off topic, but just a week ago I learnt that Wincanton is twinned with Ankh-Morpork, and that there is an online Disc World Monthly!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still think that Witches Abroad has the best ever quote - to the effect that vampires may rise from the grave or the crypt, but never, ever from the cat. (Sorry, I haven't got the book to hand)

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
PriestWifeMum
Apprentice
# 17200

- Posted      Profile for PriestWifeMum   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love this book. I even managed to wangle writing an essay on it at college, thank you for making me read it again. [Smile]

--------------------
http://priestwifemum.wordpress.com/

Posts: 13 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to the Ship, PriestWifeMum! We're glad you have made your first post here in Heaven!

For more greetings, you may want to check out the welcome thread in All Saints.

jedijudy
One of the Friendly Heaven Hosts

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To my mind Night Watch is the best ever Pratchett - it seemed to me so complete, and to round out Sam Vimes so well, that nothing before or since has touched it. Having said that, I wouldn't start with that - I'd go for Pyramids which is the one I first read, as everyone knows about Ancient Egypt. Once I realised that the handmaiden's name was Ptraci, I was hooked [Killing me]

Sadly the latest books are becoming very formulaic*, and Snuff was very much 'going through the motions', in more ways than one.

*and yes, I do understand why that should be so

Mrs. S, proud owner of every Pratchett book, some of them signed [Overused]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apologies for the double post but
quote:
I've read Thief of Time in the past, and have downloaded the audiobook.
As well as owning all the books, I have them as audiobooks too. In the context of this thread, they are wonderful for making you pay attention - I read fast and find myself missing bits. The audiobooks put paid to that.

And as I am a notoriously bad sleeper, they are fantastic for sending me back to sleep in the middle of the night. And if I don't get back to sleep, then I have something great to listen to while I lie awake [Smile]

Mrs. S, reaching for the iPod (oh no, I'm supposed to be at work [Eek!]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks to this thread I've decided to re-read Thief. I may even join in with the Q&A at the end of the month....

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Collecting the book at local lending library tomorrow: city cutbacks mean it is closed today!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

I have bought "Thief of Time" and am reading "Wyrd Sisters" on my kindle now. I am liking "Wyrd Sisters," so thanks to all who gave me advice on which discworld novel to start with!

--------------------

Save a Siamese!

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
...I have them as audiobooks too. In the context of this thread, they are wonderful for making you pay attention - I read fast and find myself missing bits. The audiobooks put paid to that.

I would be interested to know who the reader is on your audio books. I've never been one for readin things twice, but having been, like you, a fast reader, I have, thank goodness, discovered the pleasure of starting again, but this time in braille, rather than audio. I use audio books a lot as well, of course.

--------------------

Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Started this last night. Thought I was going to be re-reading it, but turns out I've not actually read it before!

12% in so far, excellent.

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
I would be interested to know who the reader is on your audio books.
It can be either Nigel Planer (remember him from The Young Ones ?) or Stephen Briggs, who I believe has also created stage works from some of the books. My preference is for Planer, although perhaps Briggs does the voices better, because to my ears Briggs tends to make.the.endings.of.the.words.a.bit.too.clipped. IYSWIM. And he can't pronounce 'Artificers' for toffee! [Ultra confused]

Mrs. S, very picky about the voices of her audiobooks

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Meanwhile, on Radio Four Extra, at 6pm and midnight, starting yesterday, you can hear "Guards! Guards!", and next week, "Wyrd Sisters".

And "The World of Poo" - see "Snuff" - is out.

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Originally posted by Jenny Ann:
Started this last night...

Me too! I have the day off, so I expect to read a good part of it.

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beethoven:
. I've already noticed one pun that I'd skipped over on my several earlier readings... [Roll Eyes]

Just finished re-reading and, silly me, for the first time noticed the major pun involving the title!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016