homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » JULY BOOK GROUP: T. Pratchett's "Thief of Time" (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: JULY BOOK GROUP: T. Pratchett's "Thief of Time"
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love so much about this book! I think it’s some of TP’s best plotting. I love the monks, monastery, and the “Kung Fu” series allusions. There’s an Igor! And Death! And I’ve grown to love Susan.

It’s also fun that the story ranges all over the Unnamed Continent of Disc World.

--Do you wish you’d had Susan as a teacher?

Yes! Though I’d probably team her up with the one from “Chasing Vermeer”.

--Does the book affect the way you see the book of Revelation, and other end of the world scenarios?

Revelation is in my “don’t know” stack…but I loved it when Death said that the horsemen had to ride out—but nothing said against whom
[Killing me]

--If you’re a fan of the old “Kung Fu” TV series, did you catch the various references?

Yes, Grasshopper.

--How important is Chaos in our reality?

Hmmm...if we're talking KAOS, then consult Maxwell Smart. (In the old "Get Smart" series, Max was a spy who fought against the group called KAOS.)

Otherwise, we'll just have to wait and see what emerges.
[Biased]

--What did you think of Myria/Unity?

Love her. Brave being.

One odd thing: in one of the other books (“The Fifth Elephant”, IIRC), there’s a vampire named Unity—one of the reformed ones, I think. She’s just mentioned in passing; but I hope that, after all she went through, Myria/Unity didn’t wind up as a vampire!

--Could we use some History Monks in our world? (Are they already here? ) Would you like to be one?

We probably could use them, at least in the sense of nudging things in the right direction. I think it would be fun to be a History Nun—or a Voyager, from the old “Voyagers!” TV series. “We travel through time to help history along.”

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
quote:
Originally posted by Beethoven:
. I've already noticed one pun that I'd skipped over on my several earlier readings... [Roll Eyes]

Just finished re-reading and, silly me, for the first time noticed the major pun involving the title!
Ok, will someone please enlighten me about the title pun? Don't think I caught it.

Thanks! [Smile]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It took me a bit of thought - try googling thief of time proverb - at least, I assume that's what they're on about.

[ 01. August 2012, 07:34: Message edited by: Penny S ]

snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do they mean "Procrastination is the thief of time"?

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry for the double post, but I do know that isn't a pun, just a proverb, so if there is something else anyone knows of, I would love to know too. Some of Pratchett's references are not clear to a lot of Americans (like me).

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a folk song about letting no man steal a girl's thyme, but it doesn't seem relevant. I don't remember any thyme, or what it stands for (see also cherry - definitely a red herring with regard to Lu Tse, as sometimes a cherry is only a cherry, and very nice too). I suppose Wen could be said to have stolen Time's thyme, but it seems to have been less of theft, more a gift.

Please explain - I sense I am pushing the boundaries of sense far too far here. Some of Pratchett's references aren't too clear this side of the pond either, like stuff in the Olympic Opening Ceremony. One needs to have read all he has read, seen all he has seen, and heard all he has heard to pick it all up.

The procrastinators steal time. Unity procrastinates about her mission, which is to abduct and imprison Time. Puns need words which sound the same - thief has none, time only one. I'm stuck on this.

[ 02. August 2012, 09:16: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snowgoose:

While 'just' is a worrying word with Prachett, the pun spotted may just have been related to Ludd's former profession and kleptomania.
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay-Emm:
quote:

While 'just' is a worrying word with Prachett, the pun spotted may just have been related to Ludd's former profession and kleptomania.
Yes that was what I meant anyway. To my shame it took several readings before the double meaning of the Procrastinators dawned on me.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Ok, thx. [Smile] So no big secret then. Whew!

(Sparrow, you can ignore the PM I sent you. Your post took care of it. I just hadn't seen it yet!)

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Did anyone get a chance to look at any of this? There's some cool stuff, IMHO.

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
A couple of resources:

-- The Mandala Project. Basic info and pics, and a ton of links to related websites.

-- Wikipedia's Mandala page. Basic info and pics. If you check out the Kalachakra link in the "See Also" section towards the bottom, you'll find out about one very special mandala.

The name means "time wheel"...
[Big Grin]

From the Kalachakra page:

quote:
The Kalachakra tradition revolves around the concept of time (kāla) and cycles (chakra): from the cycles of the planets[citation needed], to the cycles of human breathing, it teaches the practice of working with the most subtle energies within one's body on the path to enlightenment.

The Kalachakra deity represents a Buddha and thus omniscience. Since Kalachakra is time and everything is under the influence of time, Kalachakra knows all. Whereas Kalachakri or Kalichakra, his spiritual consort and complement, is aware of everything that is timeless, untimebound or out of the realm of time. In Yab-yum, they are temporality and atemporality conjoined. Similarly, the wheel is without beginning or end.[1]

--I mentioned that there are references to the old "Kung-Fu" series. Kungfu-Guide is a fan site, with tons of quotes from the show.

-- IMDB site for "Kung Fu".

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A facebook friend of mine has just sent me this link: makes me think someone has been reading Thief of Time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3FDw3rp1cE&feature=youtu.be

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favourite character has to be Death of Rats - wish i could find a Halloween costume of him. Igor is also well-drawn, smarter than you'd think! Still not done reading, but thought I'd contribute my tuppence....

[ 06. August 2012, 17:56: Message edited by: Sir Kevin ]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Death Of Rats is one of my favourites, too. SQUEAK!

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
My favourite character has to be Death of Rats - wish i could find a Halloween costume of him. Igor is also well-drawn, smarter than you'd think! Still not done reading, but thought I'd contribute my tuppence....

Take a look here, Sir Kevin. The mask I wish to point out is toward the bottom of the page labeled "Viking Skull". But it sure looks like a rat skull to me. Just add a robe and scythe and you are good to go!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jay-Emm:
quote:

Yes that was what I meant anyway. To my shame it took several readings before the double meaning of the Procrastinators dawned on me.
I also wonder if the title is also a warning, that once you pick up the book it will steal your time from you - especially if you aren't used to Pratchett's no-chapter-breaks style.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Thanks to everyone for a great discussion!
[Overused]

Feel free to continue, if you like. And if anyone missed the main discussion, please jump in!
[Smile]

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Finally finished the book a few days ago: it was fascinating in places but a bit difficult to get through. That said, I never did finish the previous book club book: methinks I prefer short stories!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Finally finished the book a few days ago: it was fascinating in places but a bit difficult to get through. That said, I never did finish the previous book club book: methinks I prefer short stories!

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Beethoven:
. I've already noticed one pun that I'd skipped over on my several earlier readings... [Roll Eyes]

Just finished re-reading and, silly me, for the first time noticed the major pun involving the title!
Ok, will someone please enlighten me about the title pun? Don't think I caught it.

Thanks! [Smile]

Talking about puns in Discworld titles ... I've just been tidying my bookcase and reached down Thief of Time, and right next to it was "Witches Abroad" - and the penny dropped for the first time with that one too!

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Do you wish you’d had Susan as a teacher?
No. Whilst the field trips would be fun I struggle with the fact she always so sure she's right, and that being sensible and matter of fact is the answer to everything. I was glad that later in the book the downsides of her personality were shown and that softened her a lot.

quote:
Does the book affect the way you see the book of Revelation, and other end of the world scenarios?
Not really. I smiled at a couple of the references though.

quote:
If you’re a fan of the old “Kung Fu” TV series, did you catch the various references?
I caught quite a few. As always with Pratchett there are plenty of references to spare, if you miss one there'll be another along in a minute.

quote:
How important is Chaos in our reality?
Not sure how to answer that. I think Chaos Theory is describing a real phenomena. It's important in that it's one of those things that limits how much control we have over our environment.

quote:
What did you think of Myria/Unity?
I liked her.

quote:
Could we use some History Monks/Nuns in our world? (Are they already here? )
I think they're already here in the sense that what they supposedly do is all about the subjective impression of how fast time passes.

quote:
Would you like to be one?
Too much power, too much responsibility and frankly, too much work!
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016