homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Celebrities in church (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Celebrities in church
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone famous shown up at your church for a service?

We had a baptism at our church some time back where I'm almost sure one of the relatives of the person baptized was Morton Kondracke (a conservative TV pundit here in the US). At my brother's church in Oregon, Tonya Harding showed up a couple times. I guess she's more accurately described as infamous.

Any better ones than those?

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
cotdd
Apprentice
# 17350

- Posted      Profile for cotdd   Author's homepage   Email cotdd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I dunno about 'better', but...

On the Sunday after Team GB won the team equestrian gold medal, we had two members of staff from the team show up for the morning eucharist, dressed in team garb. They got mobbed at the end of the service!

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rowan Atkinson has attended our church at family funerals.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our local MP (and her dog)
Posts: 1351 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At a former church (wealthier, more prestigious) the Governor, a former Presidential candidate, a Supreme Court Justice, and the wife of the then Vice President. Oh, and a former Archbishop of Canterbury.

At this church our former Congressman (and former Mayor of this city) came to a funeral recently.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
Rowan Atkinson has attended our church at family funerals.

I hope someone requested "Lasst Uns Er­freu­en" for a funeral hymn- I would have to excuse myself to avoid laughing.

Bill Clinton, while President, attended mass at the Episcopal Cathedral here one Sunday. We happened to bring my grandmother to church that Sunday, and all waited to shake his hand at the end of the service. She attempted to say something pleasant to him as she shook his hand, but he was busy speaking with a dignitary next to him, and (probably inadvertently) ignored her. She wasn't a fan to begin with, but I don't think she ever forgave him for that one.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
About 20 years ago, I played the organ at church only if the regular organist was away.

After one Sunday Eucharist, where there had been a Baptism of one of our regular couple's elder child, I remarked that the singing had been rather better than usual, (for a congregation with no regular choir, it was pretty good) and it had sent my playing up a notch or two, as I responded to it.

I'd been asked for a particular voluntary, which I played and had been very grateful for someone who came and page turned for me.

Several people laughed, and said "You do know that most of the visitors were members of The Sixteen. Your pager-turner being one of them!"

I am rather glad, in retrospect, I didn't know! I'd've got serious stage fright!!! As it was, I had enjoyed it all thoroughly, and it still makes me smile.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stephen Hawking at a previous church. Various professors at the current one, including a winner of the Templeton Prize and a past president of the International Society for Science and Religion. I see Don Cupitt occasionally, but not in church [Smile]

[ 26. September 2012, 20:32: Message edited by: Dal Segno ]

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grew up in Washington D.C where we had a number of cabinet officers, and senators as members over the years. Then Senator John and Jacqueline Kennedy lived just around the corner from the church and although they went to the Catholic church we often saw them in the neighborhood. We felt all was well in the world if the Secy. of State Cyrus Vance was at home to show up for church on Sunday morning. President Ronald Reagan dropped by one Sunday for a visit, as did the British Ambassador David Ormsby-Gore My personal claim to fame was having Dean Atchison's grandson in my Sunday School Class. Alas living in California for the last 45 years, I have not seen a movie star in church.

[ 26. September 2012, 21:49: Message edited by: Graven Image ]

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back home I remember seeing a local celebrity in church, one of the news anchors in town. I think she's technically a member (?) but I only saw her once - it was Easter, I think.

Where I am now, it's kinda not fair, 'cause we're a high-profile place. Here I go anyway:

Saw Garrison Keillor once. Apparently if he's in town he visits our place. He wrote about it later - it was a baptismal service that moved him. George Schultz (former Secretary of State of the US) sometimes shows up; he lives in town.

Other than that, the only "celebrities" I'm aware of have been invited guests who preached or something. We get a lot of those. Also performers at concerts.

As a verger, I've verged Katharine Jefferts Schori, Frank Griswold, George Carey, Desmond Tutu, Njongonkulu Ndungane, Jim Wallis (who, like me, is from Detroit), and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few luminaries. I didn't get to verge Jane Goodall when she was here to preach one St. Francis' Day, and technically I didn't even get to meet her, though she was seated a couple stalls away. I've also met Matthew Fox and Huston Smith. At concert events we've hosted, I've met kd lang, Bonnie Rait, Martha Reeves (of the Supremes), and Carlos Santana - I might be forgetting some. And then there was our resident artist, Anna Deveare Smith.

Somewhat altering the definition of "celebrity," we've had noted organists Gerre Hancock (RIP), and Dorothy Papadakos has been playing accompaniments to silent films on New Years Eve for a number of years now.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
Alas living in California for the last 45 years, I have not seen a movie star in church.

I'm shocked! [Eek!]

[Razz]

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
Alas living in California for the last 45 years, I have not seen a movie star in church.

I'm shocked! [Eek!]

[Razz]

Actually, I go to a church here in L.A. that is pretty much of an "industry" church. Most of our members are the working class members of the industry-- studio musicians, carpenters, extras, etc. But we have our fair share of "movie stars" (actually mostly TV actors)-- of the A-, B-, and D- list variety.

Mostly they, of course, are just like us and blend in just fine. The only minor exception I can remember is when my small group Bible study leader had a role on a prime-time soap opera playing a particularly evil villainess. She was, of course, in real life a lovely person and great group leader, but I had to keep reminding myself of that after seeing her engage in all these nasty shenanigans the night before!

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mark Steel has shown up in our shack from time to time

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blair and wife turned up once. Their minders turned some of the regulars away [Projectile]

[ 27. September 2012, 00:02: Message edited by: Jahlove ]

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many years ago when I was a stroppy teenage wee free, Ian Paisley turned up at my church. As he was leaving he said, 'we don't use the NIV at my church' in a horribly snidey fashion and then got the huff when I replied with, 'and we don't condone terrorism at ours.'

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
The only minor exception I can remember is when my small group Bible study leader had a role on a prime-time soap opera playing a particularly evil villainess. She was, of course, in real life a lovely person and great group leader, but I had to keep reminding myself of that after seeing her engage in all these nasty shenanigans the night before!

That reminds me - they filmed a couple scenes of MILK in our place. For one they built a set in the gym, so you'd never know it was shot there, but the other is the baptism scene, in one of our side chapels (supposed to be a different church in the city). There was some problem with the actor they had to play the priest, so one of our priests stepped in (and was credited with the other actors). It was really weird in the theater, because I'm so used to hearing his voice say the same words IRL as he was saying in the movie. It jolted me a bit!

[ 27. September 2012, 00:56: Message edited by: churchgeek ]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cotdd:
Well, I dunno about 'better', but...

On the Sunday after Team GB won the team equestrian gold medal, we had two members of staff from the team show up for the morning eucharist, dressed in team garb. They got mobbed at the end of the service!

And welcome aboard with a nice first post!

Take a wander around and enjoy the cruise - you can introduce yourself up this a-way if you like ... . They don't bite in All Saints.

Zappa
Heaven Host

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I exchanged the peace with Mister Rogers once at Sixth Presbyterian in Pittsburgh. Found out later it was his home church.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last Sunday we had Horseman's Sunday, and St John's has pictures of that and all sorts of happenings. But no picture of the Bishop of London who will be there this week (next Sunday) for confirmation for adults and youngsters.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
Last Sunday we had Horseman's Sunday, and St John's has pictures of that and all sorts of happenings. But no picture of the Bishop of London who will be there this week (next Sunday) for confirmation for adults and youngsters.

But were there any celebrities there?

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if he's ever been to one of our services, but Matthew Kelly, the actor, is from our neck of the woods and pops into the cafe we run on market days with his mum when he's around. Apparently, one of his first acting roles when he was a lad was in the pantomime which the Congregational Church (which now forms half of our Baptist/Congregational church) used to run.

Which, erm, just goes to show.

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chive:
Many years ago when I was a stroppy teenage wee free, Ian Paisley turned up at my church. As he was leaving he said, 'we don't use the NIV at my church' in a horribly snidey fashion and then got the huff when I replied with, 'and we don't condone terrorism at ours.'

Brilliant!

I worked at York Minster when we had Richard Whiteley's funeral there. So we had lots of celebs turn up - Carol Vorderman, Giles Brandreth, Katherine Jenkins (she's tiny!).

We also had a carol service once where Dame Tanni Grey-Thompson was doing a reading. Being no fan of althletics I had no idea how famous she is!

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
quote:

Brilliant!
Yes, it's the sort of riposte I'd only have come up with hours after the event. Nicely done.

I've always inhabited small churches, so the odds are against me, but I did once find myself in a little village church in Somerset, sitting directly behind Paddy Ashdown.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Charles Hazelwood turns up when he's home visiting mum. His grandfather and father were priests in our church for many years.

Charles Kennedy was a guest at a wedding while he was leader of the LibDems. So he's heard us sing (and he hasn't come back!)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
P. D. James is fairly regular at our church.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:

How interesting. To ordinary services?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had King Charles I in ours once (not that I was there), but I've yet to recover from discovering that Mickey Dolenz married in my parent's home parish... [Eek!]

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:

How interesting. To ordinary services?
Remembrance Sunday usually and occasionally other Scout Church Parade services as one of his kids in in the Scouts

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No celebs for me personally, but a friend of mine used to go to church with Alice Cooper, and has fond memories of him making faces (possibly not the same ones he makes on stage) over the pew to amuse her small daughter during the service.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christopher Biggins sat in front of me at my parish church for a large funeral - as former theatre manager - the place was full of luvvies.

I think Biggins is as vacuous as people say he is because he spent the whole time texting on his mobile.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, and Peter Hitchens comes for Maundy Thursday.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:

But were there any celebrities there?
Yes, the people in charge of the Council of London, dressed formally, the people who run the horses, and speak about that when they are here, and the extra musicians and singers etc etc.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Queen Beatrix sat in front of me at our church once. I could have reached out and patted her on the back (but I managed to restrain myself).
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonah the Whale:
Queen Beatrix sat in front of me at our church once. I could have reached out and patted her on the back (but I managed to restrain myself).

That reminded me of another one at the Cathedral. One of the Royals (Princess Ann maybe?) visited one Sunday. I was not there, but her visit became the stuff of Denver legend, because one of the regular members of Cathedral at that time, a mentally disabled man named Clarence, was. Clarence was rather famous around town, having managed to push his way to the front of important events for years. Naturally, while everyone else tried to give her space, he walked right to where the Princess was sitting, and plopped down in the seat next to her. I believe she handled the situation with grace.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of the mentions of ecclesiastical celebrities reminded me of my two run-ins with Desmond Tutu. The first was when he preached at the Episcopal cathedral here in 1984; I chatted with him briefly afterward. Two or three years ago I was standing at the baggage claim at the airport when he walked right in front of my and my family. He was in a sport jacket and Greek fisherman's cap! Startled, I said "Hello!" He replied "Hi" and continued out the door!

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
No celebs for me personally, but a friend of mine used to go to church with Alice Cooper, and has fond memories of him making faces (possibly not the same ones he makes on stage) over the pew to amuse her small daughter during the service.

I used to live in his neighborhood, but he apparently goes to a more evangelical church. I saw his van many times (you can't miss it!), but never saw him. We did have a Shipmeet in his restaurant.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was chicken on the menu? (Okay, no doubt that's been said before [Roll Eyes] )

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been to a celebrities church, and heard a singer, famous in the 80s start the first verse in the wrong key.

I could not possibly say who it was [Biased]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
I've been to a celebrities church, and heard a singer, famous in the 80s start the first verse in the wrong key.

Deliberately? And did they stick to that key!
quote:

At first I thought that ws mean, but it would be unfair as there were dozens of dodgy singers, only some of whom could stay in a key, right or wrong.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Was chicken on the menu? (Okay, no doubt that's been said before [Roll Eyes] )

IIRC, you were the one who asked about that when we were planning the meet.

--------------------
~Tortuf

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
At first I thought that ws mean, but it would be unfair as there were dozens of dodgy singers, only some of whom could stay in a key, right or wrong.
She can stay in key OK,she had the largest selling single in the UK one year, she just came in a perfect 4th above the melody line, if it had been a 3rd or 5th it could have been disguised by singing a harmony line. Being behind a mic at the front of the church leading worship makes it even worse.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

- Posted      Profile for Cryptic   Email Cryptic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being a city church,we get the odd politician turning up for Christmas or Easter. A few years back, Kevin Rudd (then Pry Mincer of Oz) and his wife turned up a few times unannounced to worship, several of the Sunday School kids got to meet them, and a one particular Sunday was the last week before one of our UK families returned home - they took home a happy snap of themselves with the PM.

At my previous parish, another city church, Hayley Mills turned up before Evensong one Sunday night, she was in Sydney doing a play and dropped in for a look.

Another time I remember telling my Mum on the way home from church that there was a bloke in the congregation that looked just like Michael Crawford. I felt a bit of a dill when Mum told me that Michael Crawford was in Sydney doing concerts... She was really angry with me because she wanted to meet him!

quote:

[Overused]

--------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 225 | From: Sydney | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Living as I do in Canada's capital, I frequently used to see politicians and such when I attended a Lowertown parish.

I remember with especial fondness the one (and only) time that the Governor-General, the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition all showed up one Sunday during the run-up to First Communion (They all had kids of that age). I also remember the stunned looks on the Arsey MP minders who had no idea that the others were there, and who spent the entire service muttering into their lapel microphones (or whatever they used back then). Never happened again, if IIRC.

Also when I was a young boy and still a GLE Anglican, Vincent Massey, the first Canadian Governor General, was a faithful member of our parish. He frequently trotted many of the Royal Family to Morning Prayer (and, at the end of his tenure, even Brenda and Her Husband.)

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the backwaters of western Canada, no-one famous ever shows up. Feeling quite chastened and provincial just now.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jahlove:
Blair and wife turned up once. Their minders turned some of the regulars away ...

I don't approve of turning people away from churches, but for that odious pair I think I'd make an exception. [Devil]

I've been involved in services attended by members of the Royal Family in all the cathedrals I've sung in; at St. Magnus we had on various occasions the Queen, the Queen Mother and King Olav of Norway. We used to get the Duke of York quite often at Belfast because he's the Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Irish Regiment; we also got the Duke of Edinburgh, Mrs. Thatcher and John Major (separately!) while we were there. The Princess Royal attended a service here in St. John's a couple of years ago.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cryptic:
At my previous parish, another city church, Hayley Mills turned up before Evensong one Sunday night, she was in Sydney doing a play and dropped in for a look.

At last, a way in for me on this thread: I used to deliver milk to her door when helping our local milkman during school holidays [Yipee]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In 1992 William Carey turned up at the Baptist church of which I was then a member.

At least, that's whom he claimed to be, and he was dressed appropriately.

Perhaps I should have posted this on the recent Ghosts thread.

Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many years ago (when I worshipped at a small AC church in S London), Rev (now Archbishop) Desmond Tutu came to one of our morning services and planted a tree near the church. He wasn't a celebrity then, so I'm not sure that counts.
I think he was doing an attachment at a nearby parish.

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
Reuben
Shipmate
# 11361

- Posted      Profile for Reuben   Email Reuben   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not my church but....

The former Australian PM (John Howard) was known to visit a little Anglican church on the north shore when he was in office and in Sydney (not sure if he still goes there).

One Sunday a colleague of mine was sitting two rows beind the PM and during prayers saw the side door about to slam shut in the wind. He jumped up from his pew to grab the door before it slammed and as he did saw from the corner of his eye the PM's bodyguard at the back of the church leap up and reach inside his jacket.

Fortunately the door didn't slam and nobody got shot.

--------------------
"I got nothing." Barrie Unsworth

Posts: 227 | From: New South Wales | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Forgot to mention last time I posted: the late Princess Margaret used to go to the 8am mass at St. Aidan's Leeds when I was a server there - her confessor was an ex-Mirfield Monk whose new-ish partner worshipped there, so she stayed with them occasionally.

Although i am anti-monarchy, I found her to be very engaging company on the few occasions I got to speak with her.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016