homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Twitter (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Twitter
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is a Twitter account worth having?

If you have one, what do you think of it - good or bad? Useful, or not that much?

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like Twitter. It's simple, and doesn't have the privacy complications of Facebook.

I don't know how people use Twitter when they are following hundreds of people, though - too much information going past too quickly for me. I also find it difficult to keep track of convoluted conversations (especially if I'm not following all the participants), although I know some people do so quite happily. For keeping up to date and exchanging brief greetings with friends, though, it works very well.

I found it invaluable during the floods and bad weather a few weeks ago, and I get news and weather updates at the earliest possible moment. The BBC tweets news updates before they even put them on their own website.

I think you need to be very discerning about who you follow (although it's easy enough to 'unfollow' accounts). I don't add anyone unless:
  • I care about the person
  • The person is entertaining, informative or interesting, or
  • The person (organisation) will give me useful information

I have made some great new acquaintances who often brighten my day.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another Twitter person here. I love it, but use it for very set things, although i do use it sometime to keep up with friends, I mainly use it to follow cycling, as what I want to know isn't often on the T.V/ main stream media. It means I can follow a race as it is happening, and be signposted to articles that are of interest.

I guess it depends what you want to use it for.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm new to twitter - what is the difference between @ and # before the name?
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
I'm new to twitter - what is the difference between @ and # before the name?

@and a name means that you are actually linking to a person. # means it's a theme, i guess is the best way of describing it. You can search for # then whatever words to find other people who are talking about the same thing. For example #Wimbledon would mean especially when Wimbledon tennis was on, you could find other peoples opinion on it.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love twitter. It is like chatting, much less formal than here.

@s_cat, if you want to follow me. I talk utter drivel, but then you already know that.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curious
Shipmate
# 93

- Posted      Profile for Curious   Email Curious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another Twitter fan here - but I'm very selective as to who I follow. And I stand amazed at the utter drivel some people post (um - guess I'm guilty there) and the 'bigging themselves up' of some who can't resist telling you how popular/important/well connected they are.

But it can also be a huge time gobbler!

Curious

--------------------
Erin - you are missed more than you could know. Rest in peace and rise in glory - to provide unrest in the heavenly realms.

Posts: 1372 | From: Betwixt and between | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The best way to use twitter is to keep the number of people you follow low. Following too many and things just whiz past and it's difficult to follow.

Watching a TV show whilst watching the #tag is interesting too.

But Twitter for chatting, Facebook for longer stuff and a blog for anything more wordy is a way to communicate.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
The best way to use twitter is to keep the number of people you follow low. Following too many and things just whiz past and it's difficult to follow.

Yes and no. I'm not convinced there's a best or worst way, just different people with different needs. I prefer to follow various different people as I like, to give my timeline variety. Anyone I particularly care about can be added to lists so that I can quickly get an update on what's been happening recently in any given area.

I used to think Twitter was a waste of time, and only joined so that I could promote my blog. But I've found it very useful and interesting. You just have to decide what you want from it, then set yourself up accordingly. Useful links, comment, breaking news, inside stories, keeping up with friends or just silly jokes can be found easily and are all good reasons for using it.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really like twitter, but use it in quite specific ways. I'm not interested in following celebs (with one or two notable exceptions, such as Clare Balding), and although I follow some friends there generally prefer to interact with friends online via facebook. Mainly I use it in a vaguely professional capacity - I follow people who are working in the fields I research in (and have picked up on all sorts of interesting people and journal papers that way), other early career researchers, accounts related to health and politics, and eastern European media. I currently have just over 500 accounts I'm following, so never keep up with them all, when I log in I will read back a few hours depending on time so I'm sure I miss things all the time, but I see it as something to dip in an out of.

Following a hashtag conversation is interesting, and programmes like TweetChat facilitate that probably better than doing it on your actual timeline. I agree that watching some programmes (and things like TV debates, the Olympics opening ceremony etc) can be much more entertaining when you have people commenting (there are some very funny and very clever people out there amidst the dreck), and I also take part in a few professional chats, about academic writing and also early career research issues.

If I wasn't using it in this quite focused way I think it would do my head in a bit, but for following issues of interest I've found it really great.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interestingly, David Cameron has joined twitter today. He is demonstrating just how much hatred there is of him in the twitterverse.

For me, twitter does a number of things. Firstly, if follow some funny people, who make me laugh. I follow one or two celebrities, but only ones whose views I am genuinely interested in.

But mainly, it gives me an insight into public opinion across a small range of people, but a wide cross section of greens, Christians, lovely concerned people, and ordinary, run of the mill people.

What you do find is that people don't really like tweeters who just promote other things - blogs, sales, activities - but if tweeters fully engage with twitter, but also link to their blogs etc, they are listened to.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mainly use mine for following celebs and other "interesting" people. I find a lot of interesting links that way.

I also, less often, use it to follow something on TV e.g. Olympics ceremony.

I've tried to use it to chat but generally no-one responds to my tweets.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for all the interesting comments! When you're outside Twitter and you look at someone's tweets it's often quite difficult to make much sense out of a conversation as it can be fairly one-sided.

I think you can also make some tweets private, or restrict them to certain people?

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently, not worked out how to do it yet, Twitter is good for networking and job hunting

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Twitter is the straw breaking a camel's back. I haven't a clue what one does it on, where one does it, or if it hurts. And I have decided that the world has passed me by so bugger it.

I am so yesterday.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm an enthusiastic twit, or is it twat? @david_the_c if you want to follow me.

I tweet about my writing, and about things that interest me - cooking, architecture, design, humour. I follow quite a few people, but use closed lists ("Look at every day" for besties, authors, readers, travel) where you can group people under common interest and read their stuff when you want to zone in on that topic.

I also use hootsuite website, so I can set up tweets in advance and across timezones when I'm having a free promotion of one of my books, for example. Helps me appear to be more international than I am. Or appear awake in London when I'm really asleep in Sydney.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

It is a little bit like CB radio in the UK. It is worth just listening for a while before jumping in.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Thanks for all the interesting comments! When you're outside Twitter and you look at someone's tweets it's often quite difficult to make much sense out of a conversation as it can be fairly one-sided.

I think you can also make some tweets private, or restrict them to certain people?

As far as I'm aware (and I would love to be wrong), you can only make all your tweets private or all your tweets public.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use it a little. Someone described it as a Facebook status update without the rest of Facebook. I was hoping Google+ would take over but it really hasn't.

I do enjoy following President Obama (though I'm not sure his tweets are his or some flunky). His tweets have more tha on made up for his performance in the debate last week.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

- Posted      Profile for Horatio Harumph     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love twitter.

For all the reasons as above.

I also, like SC has just said, tweet utter drivel but your welcome to come and follow me. I also like to connect with new people [Smile]

@fragmentz

I think they key to following many people is not being obsessive about having to be up to date on every single tweet.

I focus mostly on my @'s so when people respond to a tweet I have made, I'll interact with that tweet.

I also fly read through when I first log in, and then respond to people/tweets that I see in that time, so sometimes its the last 50/100 that have been tweeted,

There are a few specific people I will sometimes look up, if I haven't seen a tweet from them for a long time: mostly it turns out that they are alive and active and I have just missed them.

I couldn't possibly keep up to date with every single tweet the people I follow tweet.

And I don't expect them to read every single tweet I tweet.

I dont expect Twitter to be the source of all information, though its often there that I hear 'news' first, ie national news.

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Chocolate is proof that God wants us to be happy.

Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

- Posted      Profile for Horatio Harumph     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

As far as I'm aware (and I would love to be wrong), you can only make all your tweets private or all your tweets public.
Thats it. As as I am also aware. Its either all private or non.

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
I really like twitter, but use it in quite specific ways... Mainly I use it in a vaguely professional capacity - I follow people who are working in the fields I research in (and have picked up on all sorts of interesting people and journal papers that way), other early career researchers, accounts related to health and politics, and eastern European media.

I use it in exactly the same way. It's developed in quite an interesting way in the academic community - I come across lots of bits of information and resources (as well as interacting with other researchers) that I might not do otherwise.

I don't use it for interactions with friends at all - I don't really see it as the best medium for that and I don't think that's the strength of the medium.

Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hazey*Jane:
I use it in exactly the same way. It's developed in quite an interesting way in the academic community - I come across lots of bits of information and resources (as well as interacting with other researchers) that I might not do otherwise.

Have you come across #phdchat - that is a very supportive community I think, I was sad that I only found it after I'd finished! Lots of people who'd just finished wished that there was something similar, so #ECRchat has just started up fortnightly, looking at issues for early career researchers which I really like. I also follow #acwri (academic writing) and a monthly journal club too.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well there you are ... I've looked it up. I thought it was something to do with txt-ing on a phone. I might even open an account. Though so far I can't think why. But then I couldn't when I signed up to Facebook, either.

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To follow Queen_UK?

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
To follow Queen_UK?

brilliance.

i'd love to know who was behind it.

bought my housemate the book for christmas. hysterical apparently.

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
Have you come across #phdchat - that is a very supportive community I think, I was sad that I only found it after I'd finished! Lots of people who'd just finished wished that there was something similar, so #ECRchat has just started up fortnightly, looking at issues for early career researchers which I really like. I also follow #acwri (academic writing) and a monthly journal club too.

Yes, the #acwri and #PhDchats are nice. What's also good is that those hashtags have become sufficiently established that people use them at other times for flagging up useful stuff of interest.

Haven't quite taken to Twitter based journal clubs. Nice idea but I'm not motivated enough to read the papers and I'm not sure whether the character limit and cross posting are conducive to discussion of papers. But maybe that's me.

I've also found it good for academic networking. It's enabled me to interact with senior people I wouldn't otherwise get to talk to, as well as getting to know other ECRs who I've subsequently met IRL at conferences/events.

My main problem with Twitter is using it as another procrastination device!

Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just tweeted my first tweet - and its all you lot's fault.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
I have just tweeted my first tweet - and its all you lot's fault.

and it goes downhill from here .... [Biased]

are you as DT?

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ariel, you'll have to let us know if you jump on board the Twitter train. I'd love to follow you. And everyone should follow Honest Toddler.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should say twitter accounts for us are not worth having: we don't even blog and we have dumb phones which we never even use for snaps or texts.

Currently listening to Casino Royale on BBC Radio 4ex...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't use it for interactions with friends at all - I don't really see it as the best medium for that and I don't think that's the strength of the medium.

This.

A lot of people who don't use Twitter assume it's for things like "Lol I'm totally eating a bagel". While there's a little bit of that on there, that's not what Twitter and other microblogging services are good for.

I use* it to keep up with the news in the software development industry (in which I work). I follow other developers, most of whom I haven't met, in order to get snippets of news, and more importantly to get their reactions to the news. I follow enough people to give me something to read on the bus, and I know that if an event happens or a product is released that is relevant to our community, I'll hear about it through Twitter.

quote:
I don't think there's much point doing that. The philosophy of how following works (i.e. it's one-sided, unlike Facebook) doesn't lend itself to trying to post private or personal stuff. Twitter is a way of saying things to the world, and everyone else can choose whether to listen or not — it inverts the model of things like Facebook, where the person posting chooses who to address it to.

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Well there you are ... I've looked it up. I thought it was something to do with txt-ing on a phone. I might even open an account. Though so far I can't think why. But then I couldn't when I signed up to Facebook, either.

Texting used to be one way to post things to Twitter. (Maybe it still is… but everyone has smartphones now so I guess it's not used much any more.) But you can also use Twitter apps (on either your computer or phone), or use the website.

* I put an asterisk here because I'm actually toning down my Twitter use, and switching to app.net instead. App.net is similar to Twitter, but costs $36/year to join. This has a number of advantages: it lowers spam, since every account has to be paid for. It means that you are the customer, rather than a product to be sold to advertisers. But the main reason is that Twitter are currently going on a crusade about protecting the Twitter Experience, and are forcing client developers to display their Sponsored Tweets, put Twitter logos on everything, and limiting the number of users third party Twitter apps can have.

A bunch of us decided enough was enough, and migrated to a new network that had a business model that matched what we, the customers, wanted, rather than being at odds with it.

P.S. I'm @amyruthworrall on Twitter, or @amy on app.net, if anyone is interested [Smile]

[ 08. October 2012, 08:43: Message edited by: Amorya ]

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grits:
Ariel, you'll have to let us know if you jump on board the Twitter train. I'd love to follow you. And everyone should follow Honest Toddler.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! Honest Toddler is probably the single account I enjoy the most.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horatio Harumph:
I couldn't possibly keep up to date with every single tweet the people I follow tweet.

I do. It's a delicate balancing act of ensuring that all my followees say interesting stuff, and say the right amount of stuff to fill up a bus ride. It also helps that my Twitter app (TweetBot) remembers where I've read up to, and synchronises the position across my phone and iPad.

I think many people do read all the tweets in that way, but also many people don't — there isn't really an expectation either way.

If I did mention someone in a tweet, I'd expect them to read that (tweets you're mentioned in show up under a different tab in most clients), but if I just said something I wouldn't assume anyone in particular would see it.

quote:
Originally posted by Mama Thomas:
I was hoping Google+ would take over but it really hasn't.

I've got a couple of theories about why Google+ didn't take off.

A lot of my friends won't use it because of the pushy way Google are tying it in with their other services. When adverts for a social network appeared in people's email interface, that pissed a lot of people off.

There was also the fact that it allowed unlimited length posts. I really didn't like that, since it meant people wrote articles, rather than spending time summarising their opinion on something succinctly. (I do like how app.net allows 256 characters instead of Twitter's 140, but I wouldn't want it to be higher.)

Then there was their not making a decent API, so that third party developers couldn't put together a client app. If I can't read it on the bus, it's no use to me as a social network.

But I reckon that trying to satisfy the Facebook crowd and the Twitter crowd in one network was cut out to fail. Essentially they tried to make an asynchronous 'follower' model interface (as opposed to Facebook friends, where both sides have to agree), and then grafted privacy controls on top using Circles. The problem is, Circles are a geek solution to the problem: they're elegant in concept, but it takes a lot of work to set them up and maintain them, so they're not quick and easy. And more importantly, they aren't fun.

Facebook tries to be a place where you post information you might not want to be shown to everyone. This sometimes causes problems, if they get it wrong. Twitter to me feels a lot safer, since there's just no privacy, so you know what you're getting: if you say something, everyone can see it. There's no worry about "Is this company going to honour my privacy needs correctly?". Google+ tried to be a place where private stuff goes, but we had to trust a company whose main business model is built on reading your emails. It might be OK (after all, we do still use gmail), but they don't sidestep the issue like Twitter does.

All of that wouldn't have mattered if a critical mass of users formed, but it didn't. I had a Google+ account at the beginning, but abandoned it when it became clear it wasn't going to take off.

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
quote:
Originally posted by Grits:

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! Honest Toddler is probably the single account I enjoy the most.
I would second that. Very good, well worth following.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Thanks folks!

"Confronted daddy about skipping pages in my bedtime story. He just kept reading." - The Honest Toddler.

What with that and the Queen, Twitter is looking like more fun than I expected. Will have a good look once I get some more bandwidth.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Amorya:

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:

Texting used to be one way to post things to Twitter. (Maybe it still is… but everyone has smartphones now so I guess it's not used much any more.) But you can also use Twitter apps (on either your computer or phone), or use the website.

Phew ... so I'm not quite as thick as I thought I was [Frown]

--------------------

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We watch the footy on our big screen (projector). In the gap in the entertainment unit where we used to have a TV, we now have a screen driven by a PC for monitoring the Twitter feed relating to that match and any others going on at the same time.

I sit with my iPad so that I can chip into the conversation; it's always nice to be retweeted into the stream. If I'm feeling generous I report a few porn-spammers that have picked up on the hashtag.

If any of you have shared your Twitter handle and are wondering who is now following you, it might be me.

I'll save my rhapsodising about the wonders of Twitter for another post!

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

As above. Any teachers or educators out there #ukedchat is a great resource - Thursday evenings from 8-9pm is the chat time. I love twitter for work related things, and, although I do tweet about other things a lot is education / ICT based.

I like the list function as well, and have split up most of the people I follow into different private lists so that if I am trying to see what friends are doing, I can quickly, if I am going on for work / professional development I also can.

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

- Posted      Profile for Pure Sunshine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've also found it good for academic networking. It's enabled me to interact with senior people I wouldn't otherwise get to talk to, as well as getting to know other ECRs who I've subsequently met IRL at conferences/events.

My main problem with Twitter is using it as another procrastination device!

I was recommended Twitter as a way of finding academic jobs - something to do with connecting to job feeds. I'm not sure I ever quite found these job feeds. If you're finding it a good way to meet people in your field then maybe I should give it more of a go. I do, to some extent, already use academia.edu for that, but using both can't hurt.
Posts: 472 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have a Twitter account, as I'm quite privative on the internet. I do follow a few accounts of family and close friends.

Living outside of my native country, I found that Twitter can be a good way of keeping up with news events that happen quickly in real time. For example, a couple of years ago when someone made an attempt on Queen Beatrix, I really liked being able to follow from minute to minute what was happening.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I don't have a Twitter account, as I'm quite privative on the internet. I do follow a few accounts of family and close friends.

You follow them without a Twitter account? Not sure how or why you'd do that. [Confused]

A better option would be to have a fully private account, so no one can follow you without your permission, not to tweet at all if you don't want to, and when you access your timeline you'll be able to see everything from the people you follow arranged neatly for you in one place. You don't have to tweet or even let anyone follow you to use Twitter meaningfully.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Great Gumby: You follow them without a Twitter account? Not sure how or why you'd do that. [Confused]
Er, they have an account that isn't set to private, so I read that every couple of days. I'm not sure if that's technically called 'following', but at least I can read what they are writing.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
I report a few porn-spammers that have picked up on the hashtag

[Ultra confused]

'twas brillig and the slithy toad ...

Ah well. I fear I've missed another boat. I'll head off to do some gyring and gimbling in the wabe.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I got into Twitter through Ship of Fools, I use it mainly for church stuff - can recommend 'the Church Mouse' for reliable comment on most CofE matters.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

You can direct twitter on Twitter - effectively sends a private message as far as I can see.

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
The Great Gumby: You follow them without a Twitter account? Not sure how or why you'd do that. [Confused]
Er, they have an account that isn't set to private, so I read that every couple of days. I'm not sure if that's technically called 'following', but at least I can read what they are writing.
It's not what I'd call following, but I see what you mean. Like I said, a private account of your own would probably handle that better. Rather than checking each person's timeline individually, you could just bring up your own, which would include all that information in one place.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Every username I've tried to think up is already taken. I can see I'll end up with something in Basque, mis-spelt.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

OK, am in. It's very quiet so far. Am happy to follow people, if they let me know their screen name.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in too - so far I have followed Barak Obama and Nigella Lawson.

[Eek!]

I am Mags Smith

@boogie_mags

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016