homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Music that moves

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Music that moves
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am sure we've had a similar thread but it appears to have disappeared!

I have just listened to Bach's Matthew passion in one sitting - only 2 3/4 hours. Wonderful.

What do others find moving?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If we're in serious music, then Mahler's Resurrection never fails to take me to the heights ...

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Elgar Cello Concerto

Bach Double Violin Concerto

Both very moving. I love cello music because it is such an emotive instrument, tugging at the heartstrings. And Bach's intricate interweaving of the two instruments ties my heartstrings in knots.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rachmaninoff's Vocalise, especially played on the cello. I listened to this a lot when my father was dying, and it always leaves me in tears.
I love Allegri's Miserere, it is really beautiful to listen to, I have on old recording of King's Choir singing it which is pitch perfect.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If we're in serious music then Circumstances by Rush.

Otherwise I Know That My Redeemer Liveth by Handel. (Except for recordings where the Contralto sings "leaveth.)

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For Unto Us A Child Is Born from Handel's Messiah. Or, for an instrumental by the same composer, The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba from Solomon. I love Handel. [Big Grin]

[ 14. October 2012, 19:53: Message edited by: Starbug ]

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

- Posted      Profile for Horatio Harumph     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gabriels Oboe - Ennio Morricone
and
Metamorphosis Series by Philip Glass

I always always wanted to walk down the aisle to Gabriels Oboe, until my Mum chose it as the music for my Grans funeral as she entered the Crem, and as we left. Not sure if I would ever be able to use it now for my wedding, but it is still a piece of music that I absolutely adore, and means a lot to me.

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Chocolate is proof that God wants us to be happy.

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
I have just listened to Bach's Matthew passion in one sitting - only 2 3/4 hours. Wonderful.

Wow. I'd need a little lie down in a darkened room after that.

For me, music has to wear its heart on its sleeve if it's really going to move me. Mahler, Bruckner, Wagner and Bach have the highest ht rate with me (and what is it that makes me put Bach with the other three? - I've no idea). Wagner exults me, Mahler pierces my heart, Bruckner throws me all over the place, and sometimes into a fit of gloom, and Bach scares me because he can do anything he likes with my emotions. I have to be very careful about listening to Bach in the car. At the moment, the opening of the Christmas Oratorio is thrilling me. I have to keep reminding myself to breathe.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The canticles of Hildegard of Bingen, especially Alma Redemptoris Mater and O Tu Suavissima Virga.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

Wow. I'd need a little lie down in a darkened room after that.
That is what I do WHILST listening.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Figbash

The Doubtful Guest
# 9048

- Posted      Profile for Figbash   Author's homepage   Email Figbash   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For sheer exhilaration and generation of positive energy, I wouldn't say you can go much wrong with one of Karl Amadeus Hartmann's crazed allegro fugatos (particularly the 6th and 7th symphonies).

For general encountering the transcendent, I find it hard to beat the finale of Henze's seventh symphony.

Posts: 1209 | From: Gashlycrumb | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
I have to be very careful about listening to Bach in the car. At the moment, the opening of the Christmas Oratorio is thrilling me. I have to keep reminding myself to breathe.

You and me both! [Big Grin] I've been listening to the Christmas Oratorio quite a lot lately (ideas for Christmas music, you know). And you're so right about driving while listening to Bach. Sometimes I find myself directing more than driving. [Hot and Hormonal] Ooops.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Berlioz Grande Messe des Morts and Te Deum both hit me in different ways.

The Britten War Requiem.

Bach as stated before.

Schubert's chamber music.

Jessye Norman singing Strauss's Four Last Songs.

Ella singing Ev'rytime we say goodbye.

...and one for piglet: Weelkes 9th Service.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the moment it's Gabriel Faure. In abundance. I've just bought 4 CDs with his songs and I'm taking the opportunity to go through all of his work that I have, which also includes the piano music and most of the chamber music.

He really is one of my favourite composers. The number of 'ooh' moments is just astounding.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And then there's Eva Cassidy singing ... well she didn't get to sing much [Tear] but anything

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
If we're in serious music then Circumstances by Rush.

Oh, yes. And The Gates of Delirium by Yes.
Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another thought as this song has been a major obsession for the past year: Snowflake by Kate Bush.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the most moving pieces of music I've been listening to lately is This I Love, from Guns 'N' Roses Chinese Democracy album.

The refrain runs:

quote:
So if she's somewhere near me
I hope to God she hears me
There's no one else could ever make me feel I'm so alive
I hoped she'd never leave me
Please God you must believe me
I've searched the universe and found myself within her eyes

Seriously, that last line is just awesome.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leonard Cohen's 'If it be your will'. It's on his Live in London double cd and it is ... well, very moving. If I want the congo to be in bits at my funeral *that's* what I'll ask for! [Devil]

Mrs. S, desperately searching for a tissue

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just doing a bit of admin work, and I have the last movement of Mahler's 3rd symphony on my headphones. I once read a review of it in which the reviewer said it's the sort of music you want never to end. They were right. Profoundly moving.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beethoven's 3rd piano concerto in C minor, especially the second movement.

Also the second movement of his fifth piano concerto.

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

Ella singing Ev'rytime we say goodbye.

Oh yes, definitely. When I was an undergraduate I had a wind-up gramophone. If we were ending the evening on a high we'd put on the Soviet National Anthem: if in a mellower mood we'd put on Ella and sit there quietly and contentedly blubbing for a couple of minutes.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016