homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » 101 things to do before you resurrect

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: 101 things to do before you resurrect
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Life on planet earth is full of surprises, some of which other shipmates may not have thought of yet. What unusual experiences can you recommend that others really should try before the time comes for them to arrive at the pearly gates?

One of the things I've done which gave me so much fun the day I tried it is: cycling underwater

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh... I thought this was going to be a thread about things one wanted to do in heaven...
inasmuch as one does things there... and inasmuch there is a there there...
Do angels write bucket lists too?

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Visit the Grand Canyon - there in nowhere like it.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Before we resurrect? Some smart aleck is going to post: Die.

So I thought I'd take care of it. You're welcome. [Razz]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If St Paul is to be believed it isn't exactly essential we can all be changed in a twinkling of an eye.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Changed? oh, aye. But resurrected? I think you have to be dead first. (Poor Elijah!)

But anyway: Before you die or resurrect, you have to watch the leaves fly in a brisk wind from the tall, tall, TALL autumn colored trees.

We were at camp an hour ago. It was glorious.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This one is for the musicians on the ship (who will appreciate the difficulty level most): at some time in your life you really must sing Tallis' 'Spem in Alium' - in 40 parts, fiendishly difficult to get right, but when it works it's fantastic.

--------------------

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there anyone in North America who has not dreamed of driving up the American west coast, from San Diego to Bellingham, Washington?
I have begun to plan that as my next big trip; according to Google, it is just 1,347 miles, or 22.5 hours of driving, along Highway 1 and 101.
Which means that it would take me twice as long to get from my home to San Diego as it would to get from San Diego to Bellingham. And then I would still have to get back home.
But I'm gonna do it, sometime during 2013, God willing and the Pacific don't rise.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're not going to get to Bellingham on 101.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ruudy
Shipmate
# 3939

- Posted      Profile for Ruudy   Email Ruudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Drive from Jackson Hole Wyoming to Salt Lake City. It is beautiful!!!!

I got stuck in Jackson Hole a couple weeks ago. I couldn't get a flight out in time to make a scheduled meeting so I drove the 6 hours to SLC. I was amazed at the beauty of that drive.

I also agree with the idea of driving from San Diego to Bellingham. I have done portions of that but would love to do the whole thing one day.

--------------------
The shipmate formerly known as Goar.

Posts: 1360 | From: Gatorland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Visit the Grand Canyon - there in nowhere like it.

If you haven't got up before dawn, sat on a rock on the edge of the canyon and waited for the sun to rise, then you haven't seen the canyon at its best.

September, when the sun rises directly down the canyon, is best.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pulsator Organorum Ineptus
Shipmate
# 2515

- Posted      Profile for Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Email Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anything that involves getting up before dawn is to be avoided at all costs!
Posts: 695 | From: Bronteland | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
You're not going to get to Bellingham on 101.

You can't get from a first floor lobby to a fifth floor meeting room by elevator either; you have to walk down a hallway on the fifth floor.
And your point was? [Yipee]

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
This one is for the musicians on the ship (who will appreciate the difficulty level most): at some time in your life you really must sing Tallis' 'Spem in Alium' - in 40 parts, fiendishly difficult to get right, but when it works it's fantastic.

I've heard it live, which is close enough to singing it for me.

I would say: walk up or climb a mountain.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Loquacious beachcomber:
And your point was? [Yipee]

Lost on you.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... you really must sing Tallis' 'Spem in Alium' ...

I'll go along with that. [Smile]

My own recommendation: swim in the Blue Lagoon in Iceland during a hail-shower; I can't tell you how exhilarating it is to swim in a warm lake in December with hail-stones coming down on your head.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Loquacious beachcomber:
Is there anyone in North America who has not dreamed of driving up the American west coast, from San Diego to Bellingham, Washington?
I have begun to plan that as my next big trip; according to Google, it is just 1,347 miles, or 22.5 hours of driving, along Highway 1 and 101.
Which means that it would take me twice as long to get from my home to San Diego as it would to get from San Diego to Bellingham. And then I would still have to get back home.
But I'm gonna do it, sometime during 2013, God willing and the Pacific don't rise.

I suspect you will have to be concerned more with hills sliding though the Devil's Slide tunnel should be finished by then so as to avoid one bad spot.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:

My own recommendation: swim in the Blue Lagoon in Iceland during a hail-shower; I can't tell you how exhilarating it is to swim in a warm lake in December with hail-stones coming down on your head.

On a similar theme, take a shower outdoors on a brisk autumn morning. There's something about having nothing but a film of hot, soapy water between you and and a few thousand square miles of Canadian wilderness.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pulsator Organorum Ineptus:

But staying up 'til dawn is OK.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:

I got close to it on the outdoor river rapid ride at Meadowlands Tavistock, but suspect a hailstorm in Iceland might be a tad more spectacular. [Cool]

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
If you haven't got up before dawn, sat on a rock on the edge of the canyon and waited for the sun to rise, then you haven't seen the canyon at its best.

quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
I would say: walk up or climb a mountain.

If you're pushed for space on your list of 101TTDBYR, you could combine these two and see the sun rise from the top of Mount Sinai [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pulsator Organorum Ineptus:

In that case definitely do not get up before dawn whilst on a beach holiday, hoping to see a spectaular sunrise over the sea...and then realise you are facing West.
No good will come of it. [Frown]

I would suggest looking out of the window on a longhaul night time flight - beautiful; better than the Blackpool illuminations

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

A RL friend has told me that one thing you really should do is take a ride on a camel. Sounds rather lollopy and scary....

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A RL friend has told me that one thing you really should do is take a ride on a camel. Sounds rather lollopy and scary....

I went on a short camel journey on the edge of the Sahara in Tunisia, just an hour or so. They are rather odd to ride, very uncomfortable on the pelvis. Definitely lollopy. And they can be aggressive to each other and start spitting.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Ah, like pre-teens then.

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can see the resemblence between my eldest and a camel, yes [Big Grin]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A RL friend has told me that one thing you really should do is take a ride on a camel.

I've ridden one and it was nothing to write home about, although I guess it's nice to be able to say you've done it.

Not exactly an unusual experience, but I'm longing to go on retreat. I've never been, wanted to and talked about it for years, and life's too full of Stuff to plan anything long at the moment. However, I have a weekend away in November, my first retreat experience, and I can't wait! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Oh no it's not...it's the most graceful swaying movement - I could have stayed on it for days not an hour and a half. Being androgynous anyway I alternated between "being" T.E.Lawrence and Gertrude Bell.
And they are sort of furry and without fat and such an amazing sandy beige colour. And they have lovely eye-lashes.
I had another short ride on one after I finished my chemo and looked out into the desert and felt just At One With It All

[ 17. October 2012, 16:17: Message edited by: Galilit ]

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Flossymole
Apprentice
# 17339

- Posted      Profile for Flossymole   Email Flossymole   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Learn to ring church bells (it'll take quite a few weeks or months) then join a band to ring half-muffled on Remembrance Sunday. It's the ringing equivalent of the bugler's Last Post and it sends the shivers down your spine.
Posts: 43 | From: Derbyshire UK | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

I've tried, oh how I've tried. Ringing rounds now that was OK. But changes - bleurgh.

Being part of a handbell team, now that was fun. [Smile]

--------------------

Flossymole
Apprentice
# 17339

- Posted      Profile for Flossymole   Email Flossymole   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Handbells!!! Chorister, you must be a genius. The blue line for one bell at a time is as much as my brain can cope with. (If not more.) [Smile]
Posts: 43 | From: Derbyshire UK | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016