homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » "Another one bites the dust" and other funeral songs (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: "Another one bites the dust" and other funeral songs
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lennon's Imagine has been banned from funerals on grounds of taste.

Its the line, "Imagine there's no heaven" that they don't like.

From the list I'd ban "My Way" as it glorifies arrogance.

But worse things have been suggested:

Smoke gets in your eyes at a cremation.
If you're happy and you know it clap your hands.
Another one bites the dust.

I'd like to have the military march "Blaze Away" played at my cremation, as the coffin goes through the curtain, but I doubt it would be allowed.

What inapropriate songs have you heard at a funeral, or if your a minister, what tunes have you turned down.

Or what tunes would you like which others may not deem appropriate?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who remembers the BBC programme about an actor called Terry dying of HIV/AIDS complications in the mid 80s? He was carried into the crem to There's no business like show business and then had a friend hide out of sight who, after the curtains had closed, put a gloved hand through to wave goodbye.

Bad taste or a bit of fun?

Your choice.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had joked in my bachelor days that I would have "Another Bites the Dust" played as my wedding recessional.

I am hoping to have at least one U2 song played at my funeral.

Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Caissa:

Me too. I have yet to decide which one.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

- Posted      Profile for Higgs Bosun   Email Higgs Bosun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Who remembers the BBC programme about an actor called Terry dying of HIV/AIDS complications in the mid 80s? He was carried into the crem to There's no business like show business and then had a friend hide out of sight who, after the curtains had closed, put a gloved hand through to wave goodbye.

Bad taste or a bit of fun?

Your choice.

That reminds me of the Dave Allen sketch (70's I guess). At the funeral of an actor, the coffin rolled away, and the curtains closed. Someone started to clap, and others joined in. The coffin reappeared for a curtain call.
Posts: 313 | From: Near the Tidal Thames | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

The Unforgettable Fire?
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

The Unforgettable Fire?
[Big Grin]

Well, I do plan to be cremated. But cremations aren't public here.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where the Streets Have No Names would be my first choice.
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oddly enough, we were talking about this very subject over coffee at work today...

Suggestions included (other than those already mentioned in this thread):

Living in a box

Hey you, get off my cloud

Fire

Great balls of fire...

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Colours of Day always seems inappropriate at crematoria - the chorus begins: "So light up the fire and let the flame burn...."

My first ever funeral - which I celebrated at short-notice for a colleague who was taken ill - ended with "These boots were made for walking". To this day I have no idea why it was chosen or why anyone thought it appropriate.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:

Having been at a funeral where it was played, I can sympathise. It was the funeral of a young man who had committed suicide and I was consoling myself with the thought that he was now free from pain and whatever had been troubling him - and then "Imagine" was played; it just seemed so bleak and devoid of hope in the context.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Knock, knock, knocking on heaven's door" would work.

"And I will always love you" would have the mourners gagging on its snappiness which might be fun.

Want to creep out the congo? How about "I've Got You Undet My Skin?"

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The suggestion of Colours of Day for cremation is what got me hooked on the ship in the first place!

I also remember a thread some years ago when someone had found an online listing of the music available at a crem - with such gems as Hole in the Ground and Wish me Luck as you Wave me Goodbye.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
quote:

Having been at a funeral where it was played, I can sympathise. It was the funeral of a young man who had committed suicide and I was consoling myself with the thought that he was now free from pain and whatever had been troubling him - and then "Imagine" was played; it just seemed so bleak and devoid of hope in the context.
I was at a funeral for a young person who was fond of classic rock, and we ended up hearing "Wish You Were Here" over the slideshow. Another one that should have been calculated to be more depressing than anything.

On a lighter note, I always got a chuckle out of the classmate that suggested that he wanted a setting of "Turn Back oh Man" at his wedding.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
On a lighter note, I always got a chuckle out of the classmate that suggested that he wanted a setting of "Turn Back oh Man" at his wedding.

You were a classmate of my ex-husband? [Eek!]
(He often suggested that. Too bad he didn't turn back before our wedding.)

--------------------
~Tortuf

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mama Thomas:

Played as the second song, of course. Right after "Stairway to Heaven."

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:

Third song, "Mama told me not to come."

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just attended a funeral where they played Kid Rock's Only God Knows Why. The problem was they used the not-radio-safe version so we got treated to the f-bomb being dropped in the local Baptist church. [Devil] I about wet myself trying not to laugh out loud since it was so perfectly in keeping with the personality of the woman who's life we were celebrating.

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jigsaw
Shipmate
# 11433

- Posted      Profile for Jigsaw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend had The Jam's "Going Underground" at his funeral.

--------------------
You are not alone in this.

Posts: 743 | From: Snorbens, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:

I attended a funeral for a recording engineer who had made a recording of all the music he wanted played at his funeral reception. I loved that he included "Stairway to Heaven."

--------------------
~Tortuf

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
D. once had to play for the funeral of someone quite prominent and was specifically asked to play Thank heaven for little girls and I could have danced all night.

He obliged, but said he felt a right berk as the congregation didn't know that they'd been requested and probably wondered what the hell he was playing at.

[Ultra confused]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Laud-able

Ship's Ancient
# 9896

- Posted      Profile for Laud-able   Email Laud-able   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Noël Coward’s ‘I’ll see you again’, which was the postlude at St Paul’s, Covent Garden, for the funeral of a friend.

--------------------
'. . . "Non Angli, sed Angeli" "not Angels, but Anglicans"', Sellar, W C, and Yeatman, R J, 1066 and All That, London, 1930, p. 6.

Posts: 279 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This morning I played for a funeral and the hymn requested was Amazing Grace. 120 people in the church and no one but our Rev sang. At least Igot paid!!!

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Goodbye, Earl [Devil]

Or I used to love her, but I had to kill her

and for a cremation, BOC's Burning for You

i'm planning to have I'm Coming Out played from within my casket. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, Jeez, the title made me laugh out loud.

OK, another one for my SOF Meet/ Wake-- if I do manage to die of cancer, please play

this.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When the patriarch of the garbage truck owners died, I was asked to play "My old man's a dustman". At another funeral as the coffin disappeared behind the curtain, the family requested 'The Happy Wanderer' and everyone sang the valderee, valderah etc. I got the giggles. I've requested 'Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye' to be sung as the coffin leaves the church, as I'd like to go with everyone smiling.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
At another funeral as the coffin disappeared behind the curtain, the family requested 'The Happy Wanderer' and everyone sang the valderee, valderah etc.

[Yipee] OK, I changed my mind...

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laud-able:
Noël Coward’s ‘I’ll see you again’, which was the postlude at St Paul’s, Covent Garden, for the funeral of a friend.

That's rather lovely, and of course Harry Williams said, didn't he, that 'nowadays I find God more and more in the songs of Noel Coward'.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly- clean out your PM box. And yes, i have all sorts of sick humor planned. If I ever get married again, the ceremony will be even worse! [Devil]

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

In this matter at least you're a soul mate of +Peter, Archbishop of Sydney. He made a similar statement just the other week. The tirade against him in the popular press was enormous, along the lines of "They want to tell us how to live, now they even want to tell us how to be buried!"

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:
My first ever funeral - which I celebrated at short-notice for a colleague who was taken ill - ended with "These boots were made for walking". To this day I have no idea why it was chosen or why anyone thought it appropriate.

Because the deceased happened to like it? Playing someone's favourite piece of music at their funeral seems a quite common thing to do. It doesn't necessarily have to be "relevant" to the situation.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will have "Forever Young" (though I'm long passed young now, but for other lyrical reasons) but maybe "Most Likely You'll Go Your Way and I'll Go Mine" might not be so good?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emendator Liturgia:
quote:

In this matter at least you're a soul mate of +Peter, Archbishop of Sydney. He made a similar statement just the other week. The tirade against him in the popular press was enormous, along the lines of "They want to tell us how to live, now they even want to tell us how to be buried!"
I have allowed it at a funeral or two, but regret it, and agree with Jensen. I don't think that happens often.

I vetoed a Casey Chambers song, "we're all gonna die some day" not for its 'ethic' bit for its crescendo final line, kiss your arse goodbye, Lord, cos we're all gonna die some day'. I was nearly run out of town (wankydilla).

"I love to have a beer with Duncan" was a great one at a funeral Kuruman took.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by Emendator Liturgia:
quote:

In this matter at least you're a soul mate of +Peter, Archbishop of Sydney.
[Eek!] That's almost enough to make me change my mind about it.

Almost.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

David Powell
Apprentice
# 5545

- Posted      Profile for David Powell   Email David Powell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When asked what music should be played at their funeral, a friend said "Oh I don't know, surprise me!"
Posts: 41 | From: London UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't it Grand boys to be bloody well dead.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

Actually, speaking of BOC (well i was!) Don't Fear The Reaper is also a good choice.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The Guns 'N' Roses version, of course! [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
and for a cremation, BOC's Burning for You

If we're talking BOC then surely Don't Fear The Reaper has to be the song of choice!

[damn you crossposts!]

[ 16. October 2012, 11:04: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

Beatcha to it!

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

I suppose there is Chris DeBurgh's Don't Pay the Ferryman.
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Powell:
When asked what music should be played at their funeral, a friend said "Oh I don't know, surprise me!"

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Mrs. S, leaving VERY explicit instructions for HER funeral

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seems the fad for Wind Beneath My Wings has gone, thank God.

"My Way"--can't help it, but to me that the most arrogant song ever written. I think of the people who couldn't do it there way.

But if the like Frank, this is sure,y fit for a funeral:

Start spreading the news
I am leaving today
I want to be a part of it
New York, New York
These vagabond shoes
They are longing to stray
Right through the very heart of it

I want to wake up in the city
That doesn't sleep
New York, New York

Works for me.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Before my brother died, he requested that 'Don't worry, be happy' and 'Always look on the bright side of life/death' be played.

As for me, I'm taking you lot with me, with Tom Lehrer's 'We'll all go together when we go' playing defiantly. [Biased]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Working as organist for a small-town mortuary, I was asked to play 'Home on the Range' for a retired (sort of) cowboy. Seemed appropriate.

Another request was 'Sentimental Journey,' which seemed less the thing, although I provided the indicated train-whistle effects.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

A sweet older woman left instructions for "Put on a Happy Face" to be played on the piano as people were leaving her funeral. For her, it was perfect.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Squirrel
Shipmate
# 3040

- Posted      Profile for Squirrel   Email Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Once I attended the funeral of a man who had been a volunteer fireman. They gave him the full treatment: dress uniforms and a piper playing "Amazing Grace." All of a sudden a young man brought out a boom box and, while the piper was still doing his thing, The Hollies' "He Ain't Heavy. He's My Brother" played. The family was shocked.

--------------------
"The moral is to the physical as three is to one."
- Napoleon

"Five to one."
- George S. Patton

Posts: 1014 | From: Gotham City - Brain of the Great Satan | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My father made a CD of music for my grandmother's funeral. A guest inquired of me if it was really appropriate to play a song called Bye, Bye, Baby at such a time.

I had to explain to them that it was an advertising jingle for the San Francisco Giants, of whom my grandmother had been a lifetime fan.

Of course, when I eventually go, I hope I'm buried in my Giants hat-- and Timbers Green.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Not a song , but my idiot friends began quoting Monty Python sketches at my father's funeral(well, the luncheon afterward), and of course at one point they all shouted in unison, "BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!"

How cool would that be in a processional?

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the U2 song for a funeral.

Brilliant song. A masterpiece from "Joshua Tree". If you listen to the intro, you'll get the appropriateness.

I might well have it at mine ..

[ 17. October 2012, 09:33: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
The suggestion of Colours of Day for cremation is what got me hooked on the ship in the first place!

Light up the fire and let the flame burn:
open the door and fill up the urn....? [Big Grin]

Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016