homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Did the earth move for you? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Did the earth move for you?
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We visited a nearby(ish) church last night for their carol service. It had some normal carols but the whole service was quite different with children bringing food up to the altar, and decorating it at various points in the service. Communion took place as part of a "family meal" (ie people invited to a glass of wine, bread and whatever other nibbles they wanted afterwards). The theme was about finding God in busy life and there were regular reflections with some video bits.

It was very well put together and such a welcoming service. The "choir" pieces were a folky iona-style one and something more traditional but all together it felt something put together by the church community with all the "normal" formal bits of recogniseable carols and readings with some really thoughtful moments.

We're hoping to go back Christmas eve for "jazz beer and carols" before the midnight service. (I think a take on "beer n hymns from greenbelt")

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny Lane
Shipmate
# 3086

- Posted      Profile for Penny Lane   Email Penny Lane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hadn't really planned on going to church this morning - I went Christmas Eve, Communion was brought to my convalescing husband (and hence, me) Christmas Day (by my wonderful boss), I went to a wedding last night that included Communion - so I really didn't feel the need. Upon returning from said wedding, however, my husband told me a fellow parishioner had called and needed me to fill in for him as chalicist. The service was Christmas Lessons & Carols with Eucharist. I got to sing/hear all my favorite carols, but what brought tears was the choir singing the First Noel while violin and harp played Pachelbel's Canon (M. Clawson arrangement). I'm so glad I went.

--------------------
~Penny

Posts: 1130 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooh baby, did it what. Even the 'that time of the month' 1662 moved when our magnificent organist leapt into 'Dear Lord and Father'. And the more contemporary eucharist was by the book (hallelujah) and therefore sans electronic gadgetry, and it rocked. 'There's a Wideness in God's Mercy' was an eschatological foretaste.

Well attended, too.

Ah God is good. Sometimes [Biased] !

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rode to church feeling a bit negative about God, the Universe and Everything and rode home with a spark of hope.

I'm not quite sure which bit of the Service did it, but the Minister has a God given gift with words and they broke through my negativity [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I too set out this morning with a load of negativity weighing me down. I went to Christ Church St Laurence to meet some Shipmates.

It's been some years since I was there, I have been attending its slightly lower sister in the city, St James, King Street.

It was very full despite the holiday period and very hot. However I'd forgotten its amazing acoustics. As the kyrie soared forth, something snapped and the weight was gone. Yes the earth did move for me today.

As was remarked later, the sermon was fairly ordinary. Yes it was, but I heard several things in it which I needed to have reinforced, so God can use the ordinary as well as the spectacular.

All followed by a good pub lunch and good conversation at the pub down the road.

[check]

[ 04. January 2009, 17:10: Message edited by: PeteC ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well the earth always moves a little bit for me, but this day was special. The Mass was offered for the repose of the soul of my brother David, but I was very pleased to discover a little baby was at church with his parents to be baptised just at the end of the Mass.

I was reminded of the cycle of life. This is important for me as I grow older, because it sometimes seems that death is predominant.

Prayers for little AJ [Votive] as he enters the Christian life. [Yipee]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Had two earth-movey church services yesterday.

Was away for the weeekend so went to the parish church in the morning. Was far more traditional than I'm generally used to but I got an impression of a minister who genuinely loved God and his congregation and the 'sermon' was just choc-full of scripture and reminders of all the things God has given us as our True Love (based on the Twelve Days of Christmas).

Then in the evening a friend and I went to my sister's church (ours doesn't often have an evening service) and got some belting songs and some testimonies of 2008 that hadn't fitted into their watchnight service. Does a body good to hear of the goodness of God. Was particularly poignant as I'm facing a couple of quite big things right now.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know why exactly, but yet again, Sick Dissenters was one of those little slice of heaven Sundays. It may be because there are so few of us (FD leading, me and, in yesterday's case, one patient visitor) and the chapel is small. It may be because it is a quiet, said service. It might even be that FD's short 'thoughts for the morning' are good (and no, I'm not a biased wife - I'm rough on him sometimes). It might be that this Sunday was my favourite Psalm 139. It may even be because it is a hospital and there is life and death ever present.

But the earth moved.

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Had a fun weekend away with a friend and visited the church she grew up in.

They had a guest preaching because of the week of prayer for Christian Unity and it was a good service. It was good to see a place where a good friend grew up and be introduced to some of the characters there. Good to see another side of my friend. Good to let out another side of me.

I also find myself looking forward to having a normal weekend next weekend - last time I was in my own church I was down in the creche while the baptisms were going on upstairs so I missed out a bit. I love baptisms.

--------------------

Penny Lane
Shipmate
# 3086

- Posted      Profile for Penny Lane   Email Penny Lane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The scripture appointed and the hymns chosen each had a message direct for me. I heard in a way I haven't for some time. It led to a somewhat sleepless night wrestling with God and myself.

--------------------
~Penny

Posts: 1130 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today was probably the last Sunday I'll be at St Five Irons 'officially' (assuming we can sort out the roster). It was the AGM, so the two morning services were rolled into one. Our Rector apologised, half jokingly, that it was a service that probably no-one would like, because it was a mixture of the formal and the informal services.

I was LA, and even though I muffed it at one point, it was one of those services where it nonetheless 'worked'. Wonderful to wrap up on a high, feeling that the time was right to go.

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

Was away visiting again.

A minister just returned from illness and readying for retirement gave a lovely address about being prepared to be astounded by God. The Earth swayed gently.

--------------------

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another gentle swaying here yesterday. I went to the afternoon service, the first time I have been to a church service this year. It was a lovely service and, rather to my surprise, I was able to concentrate fully on the worship. After the service I was warmly greeted by the vicar and had a chat with another friend.

Over the last couple of years I have drawn comfort from the knowledge that the church will be there when I feel ready to return and it was good to have that confirmed.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Serious rocking, ici. It's been an exhausting week, so it was mind-blowing to be caught up in a liturgical journey from Taizé solemnity and invocation of the Spirit, through sermon (though I preached it I knda felt it, felt almost "used" by it) and "our"* sung-through eucharistic setting, to the magnificence of Wesley's "And Can it Be?", voices and organ roaring alike (and men doing the blokey bits). Thanks be to God, it simply rocked.

Ye gods that was a pauline sentence [Roll Eyes]

And now I am apocalyptically buggered.

[*ETA: "the chattaway setting", actually written by an non-Shippie Adelaide priest: kuruman and I have taken it wherever we have been]

[ 28. February 2009, 21:36: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First Sunday in Lent.

Wonderful sermon given by a Melanesian priest on the Saints and Martyrs of Melanesia. Tres moving. Real stuff. No intellectualised tripe.

Also was L/A to Solomon Island Franciscan Brother who officiated at the Eucharist. Serving with him always rocks my socks off. He has a sense of the numinous: Holy Awe. What a wonderful time to be reminded of it!

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had my first service at the hospital today. I had to preach and as of last night had had no inspiration or even Good Thoughts™. I went to bed early and got up early and it just flowed. I do find it hard to write a five minute sermon--and write it I must as it has to be reviewed.

The bit where the service was really moving was the communion. we had about sixteen people there, ten of whom were patients and the rest either staff or volunteers. When we were serving the communion we moved among the people and prayed for each of them as we offered them the sacrament. Just beautiful. I really like hospital chaplaincy! [Angel]

--------------------
"How do you get all those coins?" asked Mort.
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Posts: 3219 | From: Geelong | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

It kinda rocked today ... palms, donkeys, combinations of traditional and vaguely contemporary, the Reading of the Passion in (good) voices, a large congregations (140ish) ... yup. I would have preferred the sung responses, but the spoken ones were spoken with gusto. Hymns ranged from Iona and Robin Mann to Isaac Watts, with our resident singer-songwriter contributing one of his best.

God was there.

I needed it (fighting a mini-migraine at the time, and suffering from something akin to exhaustion after the past few weeks).

God was there. Add H- (or "A-") word according to taste, but silently, for it is Holy Week [Paranoid]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Palm Sunday in the near tropics! Yes it moved for me, and moved me too. The procession of the Palms was the solemn entrance. Out on the edge on the Church property and the public road. The crowd was moved a little bit too when a bus came roaring around the corner. We just scrunched up a little closer, as one does in India. The blessing of the palms and the first Gospel, then a procession in for the Liturgy, everyone, especially kids, waving their frond enthusiastically. A smallish crowd, about 400.

Because the singing and chanting is beyond me, I read the service in English, meditated, and watched for visual cues.

I love Holy Week in India!

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yes!

We went to the Catholic church across the road for the blessing of the palms then came back for the rest of the service. Amongst the hymns was one I didn't know by Alan Gaunt 'The Love That Clothes Itself in Light' which was particularly moving.

On Good Friday the Catholics will join us for the service.

Huia

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Taking a staff position at my parish has changed Sundays for me. It's w*rk, but being with the kids has so many blessings! Today we did a children's stations of the cross. We set up stations in several classrooms with things like a crown fashioned out of branches; vinegar and sponges; a makeshift Gethsemane. And the beautiful thing was how much they *got* it, even the really little ones. I had a great talk with the 9-10-year-olds. Their questions get down to the essentials. "How could Judas do that? Even for all the money in the world?" Indeed. And the hymn at Communion (as my sig. will reveal) was the frosting on the cake.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Palm Sunday. Palm Sunday.

I don't know how other congregations manage it, but for us it's always an adventure.

We did our mini-procession to the other door of the church this morning. The congregation dutifully stopped about 3 yards back from the door, leaving a big gap. I (herder of choristers) motioned them forward. Two of them bounded into the church instead of waiting for the crucifer (and the celebrant, who had a collect to read). We gathered them back and we had a suitably joyous entry into the church.

Just another day in the choir. Jane chanted the Passion Gospel brilliantly. That's all that anyone will remember.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a huge feel-good factor at church on Palm Sunday morning. I loved the way the children -dressed up as biblical characters - were allowed to lead the donkey themselves, without adult help. People poured into church behind them - it felt as full as at Christmas. The children's play went off really well and the choir - we were told later - began to sing in just the right place (we were the Greek - or is that Palestinian - chorus). And the hymn singing was really rousing - I'm sure all the good singers of Creamtealand just decided to turn up in our congregation this week. It's great when you turn up on Sunday for the normal service, and leave feeling so encouraged.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Despite an equipment failure (not, alas, of the Janet Jackson variety [Razz] ) things rocked again this morning. I am simply over the moon at the directions our faith community is taking at the moment, and the growth that is on-going. It's not an ego thing (though I'll spruik about it one day when I have to write a CV! [Frown] ) but a real pride in what my musoes and liturgical contributors, in fact the whole faith community are doing to turn around a church that one resembled Titanic on Mogodon.

Praise be to God - these are heart-warming times.

--------------------

Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having some familiarity with Zappa's community, I'm very happy [Yipee] , not surprised, and sad because I'm not there [Frown] all at once.

A most strange earth-moving moment this morning when I took communion to a barrier nursing patient in isolation. She was intubated, and I was togged up in gown, mask and gloves. "Deddo Dissis Patiend, I'm Doamind, I'm a daplain." "Ah hello daplain, I daw you on de deledision. Can we ding the dong which you had in the chapel?" (Be still my soul, the Lord is on thy side to Finlandia).

I take the morning's chapel Order of Service round to ward communions on Sunday, so that folk feel that they're sharing in the same worship as ambulatory patients and visitors, so we had the words in front of us. And to the astonishment of a consultant cardiologist and several nurses on the other side of the glass, we sang a duet. What they thought was perspiration caused by the mask, getting into my eyes, was really a Niagara of tears as we mumbled a capella
quote:
Be still, my soul; the Lord is on thy side;
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul; thy best, thy heavenly, Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

FD
Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
Having some familiarity with Zappa's community, I'm very happy [Yipee] , not surprised, and sad because I'm not there [Frown] all at once.

A most strange earth-moving moment this morning when I took communion to a barrier nursing patient in isolation. She was intubated, and I was togged up in gown, mask and gloves. "Deddo Dissis Patiend, I'm Doamind, I'm a daplain." "Ah hello daplain, I daw you on de deledision. Can we ding the dong which you had in the chapel?" (Be still my soul, the Lord is on thy side to Finlandia).

I take the morning's chapel Order of Service round to ward communions on Sunday, so that folk feel that they're sharing in the same worship as ambulatory patients and visitors, so we had the words in front of us. And to the astonishment of a consultant cardiologist and several nurses on the other side of the glass, we sang a duet. What they thought was perspiration caused by the mask, getting into my eyes, was really a Niagara of tears as we mumbled a capella
quote:
Be still, my soul; the Lord is on thy side;
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul; thy best, thy heavenly, Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

FD
[Tear]

FD, that is beautiful.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Man ... it rocked. It was the fifth Sunday tikanga rua bi-lingual, or more technically bi-cultural liturgy. The hymns, ranging from nineteenth century Māori to contemporary (ish) Bullock and Bell, were sung with gusto by a large and musical congregation. My concelebrant, who delivered the te reo Māori elements of the liturgy, did so with wondrous mana, and, while I can't speak of the sermon (though I enjoyed delivering it), it seemed to me as speaker that the gathered people were absorbing and mulling it over thoughtfully. I would never ask more.

'twas a God is Good™ gathering befitting the celebration of te Wairua Tapu (the Holy Spirit).

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Similar for me today as well, Zapps. But Pentecost is like that, isn't it? [Big Grin]

I love Pentecost. It is actually my favorite Holy Day. Christmas is so commercialized, Easter is almost as bad with the wretched bunnies and eggs and overloaded "Easter baskets" (Who the hell thought kids needed more "stuff" to celebrate the resurrection of our Lord? [Paranoid] )

But Pentecost! The world at large hasn't noticed it. Did you see any Pentecost Sales in the Sunday paper today? You did not. It is the one Christian holy day that is still ours.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Wow - I'm moving. I've nissed the Maori Eucharist lately.

Having said that, the service at the Presby church where I was made a connction between the numinous and everyday life that lifted me out of the cold glooms.

Huia

--------------------

Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
But Pentecost! The world at large hasn't noticed it. Did you see any Pentecost Sales in the Sunday paper today? You did not. It is the one Christian holy day that is still ours.

We did some shopping after church and as we were dressed in red the check girl made comment to the 'nice clothes' we were wearing.(HWMBO said our clothes made a change from the trakky daks and ugg boots others wore)!! Our reply was we have just been to church and as it was Pentecost almost everyone had worn red. She didn't seem to understand the significance of Pentecost. I feel there is an opportunity to share the God's love next week.

We did however, draw a knowing grin from another shopper wearing a red scarf.

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the "knowing glances," Gay Organ Grinder. I love, love, love Pentecost (liturgical details provided here) , but the best part was when I had all the children back at the font: there was a family of newcomers who bravely brought their daughter back to the font with the other children. And one of our little girls who had an extra red streamer went over and offered share one of hers with the new girl so she had something to wave too. [Tear]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to a wonderful Mass with an excellent homile by the rector. The outgoing associate who had just been ordained two years ago was the co-celebrant. He is moving to a new parish and the outpouring of love for him at the reception following was truly moving. I must visit his new parish at the end of the summer.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

I was 600 kms from home for the weekend, in a heaven-breathed spot called Havelock North, there for a friend's 50th. After drinking the night away I dragged myself off to the early eucharist at the local church, a place I last attended for my then girlfriend's father's funeral 30 years ago.

The early service was simple by-the-book eucharist with hymns. Despite some what I would loftily consider liturgical aberrations (collect read by the congregation [Roll Eyes] , gospel read from the lectern by a mere lay-person [Biased] ) it was a sensitive liturgy with fine presidency, and an outstanding sermon playing with the incomprehensibility, metaphoricality, irrelevance and essentiality of the doctrine of the Trinity.

Unsurprisingly we sang "Holy Holy Holy".

A warm welcome, serendipitous discovery of links to the current whereabouts of the one-time fiancee/girlfriend, but no post-liturgy coffee [Frown] Fortunately I had a massive latte of A+++ quality at a near-by cafe (and steak and blue-vein pie), while waiting for the liturgy to begin. I could see why the cafe had won NZ's top pie award ... phwawwww!

I would have like to have stayed for the later more contemporary-styled liturgy (though I feared a few cringeworthies), but had to head off for the 600 km drive home.

--------------------

Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't do it for me this week, unfortunately. We had a lay person whose sermon was very hard to make head or tail. Then a retired bloke took Communion and he waffled on about nothing in particular. HWMBO wanted yell out 'get on with it'!!!

We did, however, sing Holy Holy Holy...with gusto.

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

The earth definitely moved this weekend. I was tired from staying up to watch the sunrise and walking to and from the beach and I was on creche so I felt like I wasn't going to get to church but I had fun with the kiddies and we all came upstairs in time for three out of the five baptisms. I love baptisms.

I was so aware of God's presence, and even better a friend's brother and another friend who had been at the beach with us came along. We shall see what comes of that.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Heh!

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seeing my son get married.
Pretty darned special. I'll tell you when I descend from the clouds, but it won't be any time yet.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Bugger, bugger, bugger, bugger, bugger, bugger (not related to Chorister's previous).

Just about everything that could go wrong did today. On the first day since we came 30 months ago that we cracked the 100 mark at the main service, everything went belly friggin' up. [Waterworks]

Must be God's humour, kicking me in the gluteous maximus before I get too cocky. Bugger, bugger, bugger, bugger, bugger, bugger.

--------------------

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

Oh Zappa, I feel for you.

The earth were I was shifted gently. Aided by a really nice audio mix. And someone who spent some time with us a few years ago came along - brought a few people to mind who I should be more active in praying for and keeping up with.

--------------------

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What happened Zappa? [Frown]

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Did you spill the wine all over the visitors and drop the wafers on the floor? Tell all. Uncle Pete is listening [Biased]

Actually, many [Votive] s for you. Church has been doing that to me recently too.

[ 19. August 2009, 12:21: Message edited by: PeteC ]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Sorry, I never got back here last week ... I was bitterly disappointed, because I have the 'when it sux I suck' relationship with worship. Basically last week was all about someone who had altered the microphone settings (we have a kind of 'set and leave' mixer), and then a prize jerk who decided that he knew all about levels who buggered them up even more so that my mike was so high you could hear my beard hair growing ....

Even the friggin' incense went out in disgust ...

But ah, this week the angels sang. In particular my singer-songwriter had reworked a verse to the 1980s classic "Hallelujah, My Father", a sort of syncopated harmonic a cappella delivery during the ablutions. I think I saw God weeping with delight.

Oh there is a God. (Sometimes [Biased] )

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
...Oh there is a God...

...and he has a sense of humour, even with worship!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Recently I've been going to Mass out of a sense of duty rather than anything else (all my local churches have drawbacks of one sort or another), but Mass in large church in Bruges with a small congregation on Saturday night reminded me why I go.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our new deacon brought communion to my husband and me this afternoon. It was a truly beautiful little service and I felt the earth moving gently under the sofa. [Smile]

God bless Deacon Jennifer and her ministry. [Angel]

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

I dreaded this Sunday, as it was the 6th and it was the very day 28 years ago my life took a downspin.

Someone must have realised: The hymns were Gather us in, Be not afraid*,Blessed are they, and the Gospel was the bit about Jesus making the lame to walk and the deaf to hear.

I almost went out, but I stuck it out and managed not to cry.

*I first heard this on the 27th of September 1981. I had just been moved from intensive care to a ward, and a church group from my parish came to sing it to me.

God was saying something to me, I think.

V. Open thou mine ears
R. And my tongue shall sing forth your praise.

[Tear]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
((PeteC)) [Votive]

I once new a man who had suffered a spinal injury during WWII - at his funeral he chose to have the ongrgation sing Lord of the Dance. There was something wonderful about that.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

I have planned that to be one of mine, also. People will hate me because I will make them sing all the verses [Snigger]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

One of our newest members of the faith community, a new convert to Christianity (confirmed last week, with eight others, in a stunning ceremony), is a tetraplegic. I haven't yet quizzed him how he feels emotionally when he reads/hears the healing of spinal injury miracles. He has rapidly become a good mate of mine, so soon, after a single malt session, I may quiz him.

He wheels to and sits at the position mid church from where I read the gospel, so I am often only a metre away from him when I read.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Good on you Pete! We had the whole lot at Mum's funeral. She had promised to come back and haunt us if the funeral wasn't to her liking.

Huia

--------------------

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

I had an earth-moving Saturday this week.

I got a bunch of errands out of the way in the morning, phoned my Mum after lunch and had a lovely chat then went out on my bicycle along a local disused railway line.

Just flying along with the wind in my hair and the sun on my face, without a care in the world, passing families, groups and individuals out walking, cycling, horseriding and brambling I got a little taste of joy.

Then I rode home through town and as I passed one of the gardens heard strains of 'Yes Lord, yes Lord, yes yes Lord, Amen' drifting up over the parapet so I went down and sat and enjoyed half an hour or so of the gospel service that was going on. I was glad no-one came to talk to me - I was filled up with all the wonderfulness and would probably just have blubbered about how lovely everything was.

And I topped all that off with a sausage supper from the chipper and a lovely evening with my flatmate.

God is good.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016