homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » "I can do science, me" (World Community Grid) (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: "I can do science, me" (World Community Grid)
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Alan added some extra projects to the list my computer can work on. [Smile]

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And, on the subject of extra projects ... WCG have just launched a new project Drug Search for Leishmaniasis.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And, another new project GO fight against malaria has just been announced.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joined. Used existing package within repositories versus installing from the website using their shell script. Running Linux Mint 11 on a new install on an old confuser that happens to be dual core. I don't get many old castoffs with that!

Will have to see if there is a minimize to taskbar applet available.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Well done team!

The total computational time from the Ship of Fools team has just exceeded 100 years! Here's to the next century.

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alan: thank you for bumping this thread up, so that it came to my attention.

As a semi-retired scientist, now working from home (mainly just writing), I am pleased to contribute to this effort, and have now registered

As my home computer and internet have only modest performance , I have had to decline its services for two of the projects that are most relevant to my 'professional' interests, but I'm sure that all contributions are welcome.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Tukai:
Alan: thank you for bumping this thread up, so that it came to my attention.

I regularly see if I can find some reason to return this thread to near the top of the AS board. Then people who might be interested can see it and think about joining WCG ... even if they don't join the Ship team.

Sometimes I just need to bump it without any particular reason ...

--------------------

ShadoK
Shipmate
# 3264

- Posted      Profile for ShadoK   Email ShadoK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a question that saves you having to bump...

Are there any plans for WCG to work on ARM-based devices, such as the iPad, the Excito B3 or the Raspberry Pi (when I get one!), etc.?

When I tried to install BOINC/World Community Grid on my B3, there was no work available for it. That's a pity as the B3 uses less energy than the PCs so is more likely to be left switched on continuously.

Shadok

Theophania
Shipmate
# 16647

- Posted      Profile for Theophania     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*madly overexcited flailing at the wonders of Science*

I'm just setting up as a member of the SoF team - thank you for bumping the thread so I saw it!

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by ShadoK:
I have a question that saves you having to bump...

Are there any plans for WCG to work on ARM-based devices, such as the iPad, the Excito B3 or the Raspberry Pi (when I get one!), etc.?

When I tried to install BOINC/World Community Grid on my B3, there was no work available for it. That's a pity as the B3 uses less energy than the PCs so is more likely to be left switched on continuously.

Shadok

I've had a very quick trawl through the WG forums, and it appears that there isn't currently a BOINC option for non-Windows ARM devices (it appears that the current Windows versions work OK on ARM devices). But, there's work ongoing that might get such an application in 18-24 months. There is some discussion as to whether it would be practical to run WCG on such devices given their power-saving architecture, running WCG would prevent the almost complete power-down when not in use (because, they would be in use crunching WCG data) and thus significantly increase average power consumption and reduce battery life. Would people really want a very low average power device and then operate it in such a way as to have power consumption not much less than coniderably cheaper x86 devices?

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

A new project has been launched on WCG, Computing for Sustainable Water it's being run by University of Virginia and builds on existing work for Chesapeake Bay, but will hopefully provide information transferable to other areas where sustainability of clean water is of more vital importance.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*slips below thread, tucks in head and then BUMP!*

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

News from the World Community Grid, they have just passed the milestone of 1 billion results returned. The Ship team has contributed 146000 of those, so well done all (and, well done those who also contribute to WCG and other similar projects but aren't members of the Ship team).

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since my latest Windows 7 upgrade I am getting an error message every time I log on about the BOINC manager not being connected. I'm meant to log onto my account to link to a project, but can I remember my password? [Help]

Will keep trying.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

There is a "forgotten password" link on many WCG pages, including the top of the Ships Team Home Page

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

We recently passed the 150,000 results mile stone. Well done all, and keep crunching numbers.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Two of the projects at WCG are nearing completion. You can get information about what your computing power has achieved; Help cure muscular dystrophy phase 2 and Computing for sustainable water.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016