homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Greenbelt 2012 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Greenbelt 2012
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apologies if this is a duplicate thread - I couldn't find any others.

I just learned Bruce Cockburn will perform Friday night - major Woot!

Seriously toying with the idea of attending... will anyone else be there?

TIA.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well of course.
What else does one do on August Bank Holiday?

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. Bruce Cockburn is cool. I will try and be there for him. Probably at the back.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We'll be there. Having to come over from The Rock this year is adding to the cost rather considerably!

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We plan to be there (have bought tickets already).
Haven't camped with 2 small people yet - they will be 3 1/2 and 8 months so it will be interesting. We're hoping to get some practice in in advance!

The last couple of years we've realised we don't really get to go to much but still enjoy the festival.

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have already booked. This year I intend to actually get to some talks.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh...I was planning a year off, but if BC is playing...

(His last time at GB was the first, odd experience at Cheltenham in June or July, IIRC - GB99? For volunteering reasons I was about a mile away...a good definition of frustration.)

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was also my first Greenbelt.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh, Bruce Cockburn! We returned to Greenbelt for the first time last year after a ten year gap. Hubby and I used to be regulars every year BC (Before Children). I still remember Bruce Cockburn as one of the absolute highlights of our Greenbelt going in years past at Deene Park. Haven't booked yet but hoping to be there since we are planning on spending August in the UK.
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just found this on Wikipedia if you scroll down you get a list of who was on at which festival. GB99 was in early August and indeed was the last time Cockburn played. I think I saw him in 1989.

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the Wikipedia link Bruce Cockburn played at Cheltenham Racecource in 1999. My memory is failing me....I could have sworn I saw him at Deene Park.....
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

Well, that was the first Cheltenham Racecourse Greenbelt.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From memory, he also did mainstage at castle ashby...pass me my walking frame...

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can remember Knebworth. By 'eck.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

- Posted      Profile for Horatio Harumph     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i should be there, all being well ...

(does anyone know how camping and having severe adult onset Asthma works? have had real problems the last few months (only very very recently diagnosed and still trying to get stable really, and worried about damp nights/green fields etc - anyone got any advice?)

i'm very excited about GB2012 because for the first year in very many, apart from a small contributor role with www.svox.co.uk I'm NOT volunteering ... so much much more time to be with people [Smile] (and maybe see one or two things)

HH x

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Chocolate is proof that God wants us to be happy.

The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

HH- I know nothing about your medical condition, but can tell you that the Greenbelt medical service is brilliant. From a 5 day old infant shedding her skin to a severe ankle sprain, they were wonderful.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

- Posted      Profile for East Price Road   Email East Price Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Will be there.

Am looking forward to seeing Bellowhead and Imagined Village.

--------------------
"Fishes stop and ask me where I'm bound." (Incredible String Band)

Posts: 739 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been booked. Just to write the talk now. And work out a Proper Title.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
I can remember Knebworth. By 'eck.

I was there in 1981 when U2 played a teeny tiny set. [Big Grin]

[Is the swank value of being there cancelled out by the fact some people reading this are likely not to have been born then!].

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Yes, quite.

I notice the Proclaimers are back. Most excellent.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Teenage daughter has asked if we can go. We've never been, but I'd like to. One snag is that our schools go back after the summer hols before this, so teenage daughter would need to take time off school; I'd need to convince the school to authorise her absence. Hmmmmm....
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

I don't know anything about it - there is always this alternative to Greenbelt in Scotland - this month!

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Er - actually Solas is in June not this month. On that link it mentions a festival auction taking place in April, but the festival itself is 22-24 June this year.

We missed it last year but went for the day in 2010 (the first year), it is much much smaller but also I thought more relaxed - as it's still finding its feet it is less frenetic than GB and there was plenty of time to not charge around from this thing to that. I liked it (midges were a bugger though once the sun started going down), and they managed to get some great acts (it finished that year with Peatbog Faeries, just before them were Scottish hiphop band Stanley Odd who were brilliant and well worth catching if you get the chance).

[how is it possible to misspell 'is'???]

[ 07. April 2012, 18:59: Message edited by: Jack the Lass ]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

There is also the US version that weekend as well - Wild Goose in North Carolina.

--------------------

geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

Peterson Toscano is returning to Greenbelt this year.

--------------------

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
oh and there is a National Express coach service now from London, Oxford, Nottingham and some othr major centres, direct to the Racecourse, it would appear.
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geroff:
Peterson Toscano is returning to Greenbelt this year.

Hurray! I am very happy about that!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

I've just been invited to be part of the coolest panel evar at GB2012.

I could tell you more, but then I'd have to kill you, it's that cool.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thopught everybody was cool at Greenbelt.

And damp.

That's why I've never been - I like my creature comforts.

Mind you, I think you can get there by steam train, which is a bonus.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

- Posted      Profile for East Price Road   Email East Price Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pleased to see that Jackie Oates is now on the line-up. For me, to see her will make up for missing the Unthanks last year.

--------------------

harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is Kate Rusby coming again? [Smile]

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

She's not on this year's line-up so far.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by East Price Road:
Am looking forward to seeing Bellowhead ...

*sigh* My most favouritest band in the whole wide world.

One day, one day. We shall make it. (Major sailing weekend which is the biggest problem).

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Teenage daughter has asked if we can go. We've never been, but I'd like to. One snag is that our schools go back after the summer hols before this, so teenage daughter would need to take time off school; I'd need to convince the school to authorise her absence. Hmmmmm....

Greenbelt is educational. It expands the mind, challenges ones prejudices and makes one think. And you are allowed to take your child on family holidays in school time!

[ 28. April 2012, 21:12: Message edited by: The Weeder ]

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

- Posted      Profile for Horatio Harumph     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After many years of attending GB, and quite a few of them as a volunteer, I decided I was just going to go in 2012 to 'experience' the festival again ...

However because of health related issues mostly, I've decided this year that camping is a no go, and although there are other options obviously such as staying off site, they're not ones i'm comfortable with doing, so, I'm taking a year off GB. Fully.

I'm sad, but all good things need a break sometimes.

i'll miss the random meets, and bumping into folks and shippies, and of course the beer tent conversations!

have a fab 2012 festival, and i'll look forwards to hearing all about it [Smile]

x

(edited to delete various repeated words)

[ 08. May 2012, 22:31: Message edited by: Horatio Harumph ]

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

quote:
Originally posted by Horatio Harumph:
However because of health related issues mostly, I've decided this year that camping is a no go, and although there are other options obviously such as staying off site, they're not ones i'm comfortable with doing, so, I'm taking a year off GB. Fully.

(edited to delete various repeated words)

HH, have you thought of staying at one of the 2 near by Premier Inns? We did this a couple of years ago, because of child health issues, and it worked well. The charge per night is for the room, and breakfast is included. Three adults and 4 children fitted into 2 rooms very comfortably. The staff were helpful, exchanging one bed we were not happy with, and were very friendly.

We made sandwiches and bought food on site, but the food bill was more than it woulld have been if we camped.

I would actually prefer to stay at the Premier Inn, but everyone else prefers camping, and the new tent has a 'wing' for me, so I will be camping this year.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

the weeder, thanks for the advice.

my first thoughts had been that I was going to get a hotel, but to be honest, including travel (to and from Chelts but also to and from site daily) and food, and then a ticket (which i don't usually buy as i have volunteered in several roles plus i get food vouchers) staying in a hotel is all looking like it'd be far too expensive a weekend for me right now ... [Smile]

if my finances suddenly change, i might reconsider (although it'd probably be too late to book anything by then, lol)

[ 20. May 2012, 00:51: Message edited by: Horatio Harumph ]

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

I'm very pleased to see that Karine Polwart has been added to the music line-up.

Greenbelt time's getting close!

--------------------

iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't wait for GB. Not long now!

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eeyore that I am, I'll be watching the weather very closely on St Swithin's Day, 15th July with Greenbelt in mind. [Help]

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm very pleased to see that Karine Polwart has been added to the music line-up.

I only have one song by her on this here i-tune-thingy... so I'll play it now [Smile]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:

I only have one song by her on this here i-tune-thingy... so I'll play it now [Smile]
There are a few performances of hers on youtube. Many fans think that "The Sun's Comin' Over the Hill" is her best song.

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our tickets are bought [Big Grin]

I think this is the strongest music line-up for several years, I can't wait to see so much of it! A couple of recommendations of perhaps less well-known artists: Stanley Odd (Scottish hip-hop band - absolutely brilliant) and Abigail Washburn (singer with banjo, tons better than that sounds!). Don't say I kept them to myself!

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
Our tickets are bought [Big Grin]

Hurray! We are looking forward to seeing you. Our tickets arrived today. They are red this year.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:

There are a few performances of hers on youtube. Many fans think that "The Sun's Comin' Over the Hill" is her best song.
We can but hope.

(And 'yay' Jack!)

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We may have a spare child's (under 18)weekend ticket if anyone's interested - for early bird price of £55 (now £65 I think. Pls PM me if interested!

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

Michael Leunig is coming to the visual arts bit. Wonderful.

--------------------

iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, this is exciting, Rowan Williams is going to be there.

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

I've found out who else is on my amazingly-cool-subject panel. Not only will I be completely outgunned, but it'll be the biggest gig I've ever been part of.

If I don't [Projectile] it'll be a miracle.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
I've found out who else is on my amazingly-cool-subject panel. Not only will I be completely outgunned, but it'll be the biggest gig I've ever been part of.

If I don't [Projectile] it'll be a miracle.

Are you going to tell us then?

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016