homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Greenbelt 2012 (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Greenbelt 2012
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
I've found out who else is on my amazingly-cool-subject panel. Not only will I be completely outgunned, but it'll be the biggest gig I've ever been part of.

If I don't [Projectile] it'll be a miracle.

Are you going to tell us then?

Auntie Doris x

It's only a few days to wait until the programme is published. Suffice to say I'm on stage with Robin Ince in Centaur.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, as always I'm far more excited at the prospect of camping than by any of the lineup. [Smile] Still, I'm curious to see how the ABC comes over in the flesh so to speak....I quite like him even if I need an icepack round the head to be able to begin to understand a word he writes.

And I'll try to check out Jane Mason (promised my son; he has a thing about bread) [Cool] Personally, I think a Nice Cup of Tea is The Answer, but I'm willing to have my horizons widened.

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

- Posted      Profile for East Price Road   Email East Price Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see they've just added Frank Skinner to the line-up.

--------------------
"Fishes stop and ask me where I'm bound." (Incredible String Band)

Posts: 739 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw that from a couple of Facebook statuses!

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Miffy:
Still, I'm curious to see how the ABC comes over in the flesh so to speak....I quite like him even if I need an icepack round the head to be able to begin to understand a word he writes.

Heard him speak on Sunday morning at a service here in the Forest. I would not have bothered to go, but we Readers were 'Three Line Whipped' to attend, in our robes. At the time, I thought he spoke well, but I can not remember anything he said! Last time I heard him speak, I fell asleep. So it was an improvement!

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We put down a deposit on a campervan (hideous modern jobbie, to hire) yesterday. The job of babysitting Baby Spouse during the Proclaimers is hereby put out to tender.

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We suddenly have a spare under 18s ticket as one of our party broke a leg and won't be able to come. Happy to pass it on, if someone else can use it - it was at June deadline prices, so £5 less than onsite prices.

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Badger Lady
Shipmate
# 13453

- Posted      Profile for Badger Lady   Email Badger Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also have a spare adult weekend camping ticket for Greenbelt which I now can't use. I have already received the wrist band so could post it out straight away. I paid June prices for it but will consider all (sensible) offers [Smile]

[ 02. August 2012, 12:02: Message edited by: Badger Lady ]

Posts: 340 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We may have a spare child's (under 18)weekend ticket if anyone's interested - for early bird price of £55 (now £65 I think. Pls PM me if interested!
Still think I've got that spare ticket to pass on (youngest daughter really not keen to come!) and have wristband now so could post on straight away - all reasonable offers considered! [Smile]

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's only a few days to wait until the programme is published. Suffice to say I'm on stage with Robin Ince in Centaur.

Are you going to spill the beans yet for those of us who can't come this year? Go on.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chukovsky:
We put down a deposit on a campervan (hideous modern jobbie, to hire) yesterday. The job of babysitting Baby Spouse during the Proclaimers is hereby put out to tender.

I'd be interested to know how warm it is inside. We hired (ye olde retro) campervan in 2010 and were absolutely freezing! Mind you it was a really cold GB overall that year. I see the 10 day forecast isn't too bad temperature wise this time round, although we're due for rain from Thursday onwards, apparently.
Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:

Are you going to spill the beans yet for those of us who can't come this year? Go on.
Programme's out, so:

"Visions of the Future" Centaur, 11.00am Monday. See a world-famous stand-up comic, and a professional futurologist set out their vision of utopia, circa 2040, and the audience votes on their favourite using a huge human Venn diagram. While all this is going on, some B-list SF author no-one's heard of will be making an idiot of himself on the same stage.

If I'm not hurling into a bucket by Monday morning, it'll be because I've been too nervous to eat anything all weekend.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tractor Girl
Shipmate
# 8863

- Posted      Profile for Tractor Girl   Author's homepage   Email Tractor Girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hope it goes well Doc.

--------------------
Patience, Firmness and Perseverance were my only weapons; and those I resolved to use to the utmost - Anne Bronte

Posts: 1114 | From: The field of life | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is at least one Shipmeet being organised over in another place at the moment. It would seem to be at 7pm Saturday Night at the Tiny Tea Tent.

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just one sleep to go! (For most of us paying punters).

Anyone else getting dangerously over-excited yet?

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Stowaway

Ship's scavenger
# 139

- Posted      Profile for Stowaway   Author's homepage   Email Stowaway   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I am going. Not too sure how that happened.

Looking at the Greenbelt App, which is very useful, I don't think the ABC is there. It is another Rowan Williams.

--------------------
Warning: Mid-life crisis in progress

Posts: 610 | From: Back down North | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Looking at the Greenbelt App, which is very useful, I don't think the ABC is there. It is another Rowan Williams.
Yes, that's right. They originally put up the wrong (ABC's) profile and then changed it when people started to get a bit excited on the facebook groups!

--------------------

geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is this Rowan Williams.
Although as the ABC is a patron of Greenbelt I wouldn't have been surprised if he was there.
There are at least two shipmeets on site - the one that I will be at is at 7pm at the Tiny tea Tent on Saturday as I said further up this thread. Please come and identify yourself.

[fixed coding - WW]

[ 23. August 2012, 14:34: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

Will keep 7pm tiny tea in my mind - I'm in the facebook group so had seen it already.

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From what I understand, some of the acts who play Greenbelt are pretty good. I was wondering - who would we need to lobby about getting a major broadcaster in there to cover the event?

You know - the way the BBC cover Glastonbury?

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Golly, no-one has checked in on this thread yet. Well there was a deluge of biblical proportions on Sat but I've seen a fair few Shippies since so I think we're all still here.

Sorry I missed the Shipmeet, was on shift.

Have been having a blast this GB. Highlights as always are the people but have also enjoyed Lucy Winkett, June Boyce-Tillman on Hildegard of Bingen, 'Beer, Mass & Benediction', Hope & Social and of course a few pints of Jonah & the Ale and Bad Christian in the Jesus Arms.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooooh... first post-GB post [Big Grin]

Well, for what it's worth, here's some thoughts from me;

Worship: Moved, challenged and encouraged by the communion service.
Music: Have never heard Folk On before, but they're great!
Politics: Douglas Alexander MP for Prime Minister (and I think I want to marry Stella Creasy... [Hot and Hormonal] [Smile] )
Talks: I really enjoyed the God is... series; very engaging and interesting. Some more in-depth thoughts here.

What did everyone else like?

Oh and there was a lot of mud - at least it means I've brought part of the festival home with me...

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who knew that so much water could move from up there to down here is so short a time.

Just back. Tired (despite the fact that I was in a hotel room, and slept well. I am still exhausted), but loved it, and feel very energised.

Yesterday I spent 6 hours at the very front of the mainstage, going through Karin Polwart, Seth Lakeman (did any performer have a more apt name?), The Imagined Village and Bellowhead.

My head has not stopped ringing.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

Alex - the BBC are there in lots of guises. Including Question Time on Friday. But although it has lots of good acts it isn't Glastonbury and I don't think it wants to be either.
We came home early on Monday night, like Schrodingers Cat we were in a hotel room but were still worn out. I think that the site coped quite well considering monsoon levels of rain and subsequent lakes of mud.
Highlights for us - well not much really Beer and Benediction followed by procession with the Blessed Sacrament, Richard Coles and The Paper Cinema.

[ 28. August 2012, 11:17: Message edited by: geroff ]

--------------------

The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mud. Lots and lots of mud. We got the small boys home to their Grandmother, and coped with oceans of mud quite happily at first, but eventually gave in and came home.
Really grateful for the Angels Lounge- comfy seats and tea.
The Make and Take was wonderful- Little Weed and I mad a fabulous monkey- well he thought it was wonderful anyway.
I spent a lot of quality time with my God daughters, so it was great. Brief chat with the Alien and Pants.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PaulW and I aren't quite home yet as we are stopping in Bath for a couple of nights.

Yangtze - June Boyce-Tillman was my choir mistress at college in Winchester. She is bonkers and positively scared the living daylights out of me.

Camping was pretty interesting this year. The monsoon conditions on Saturday made it quite challenging to get about at times but we survived.

Doing GB st 6 months pregnant is pretty knackering anyway.

Highlight for me was seeing the lovely Peterson Toscano of course, but also dancing in the puddles with the children to Bellowhead last night. That cheered me up no end.

I just love seeing all my friends there anyway.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stowaway

Ship's scavenger
# 139

- Posted      Profile for Stowaway   Author's homepage   Email Stowaway   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My highlights at the moment: Nitin Sawhney, Seth Lakeman, Bellowhead.

NT Wright, the Greenbelt App that made planning so much simpler (No I didn't write it).

--------------------
Warning: Mid-life crisis in progress

Posts: 610 | From: Back down North | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a truly fantastic time this year. So much on for the children (we went to a "show" each day) and fantastic fun in the mud. We were fortunate to either be in the tiny tea or the performance cafe for the rainy bits.

However we aren't planning on camping next year...

Any recommendations for budget hotels/ B and B/ anything? I've looked at Travellodge but it looks like they only take bookings up until July 2013.

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm back home but my poor little tent isn't. Sprung a leak in the floor on Saturday night/Sunday morning and struggled to stay dry. managed it but I needed a long, hot bath which I just had!

Highlights for me The Imagined Village, the beer tend on the last night (as always), and maybe Peter Tatchell's talk on wealth tax. Which had a strangely serendipitious synchronicity with the talk on poverty by some bloke from Christian Aid, and the contribution to the visions of the future panel (game? talk? show? seminar?) by Doc Tor of this parish. Though that gets a little purgatorial for this thread.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrahamR
Shipmate
# 11299

- Posted      Profile for GrahamR   Author's homepage   Email GrahamR   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Had a great time - despite the mud and rain!
With a 3 year old in tow we mainly went to all-age worship - of which there was quite a lot, and which was (mostly!) good. A highlight again (as it was last year) was the all-age service from Visions on Friday night - shame they didn't get a better slot.

The Roots services were good as well. John Polkinghorne was on good form, and Rend Collective were great!

--------------------
My blog - theology, archaeology, science

Posts: 184 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope all your tents that got so wet will be reasonably able to dry at home and stay water-proof for the next time you camp. I always put the water-proofing stuff on our tents to keep them dry - many are old.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
We had a truly fantastic time this year. So much on for the children (we went to a "show" each day) and fantastic fun in the mud. We were fortunate to either be in the tiny tea or the performance cafe for the rainy bits.

However we aren't planning on camping next year...

Any recommendations for budget hotels/ B and B/ anything? I've looked at Travellodge but it looks like they only take bookings up until July 2013.

I stayed in the Central Hotel, 20 minutes walk straight into town.

Reasonably cheap, but I wouldn't stay there again. It was half to 1 star, but for others it might be ideal. The nearness was useful, as I could walk up to the site each day.

Oh, and they only did B, no breakfast, as I found out when I arrived. But they provided microwave and fridge, so it was not a problem.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

Wonderful Greenbelt as ever. Nothing could be done about the weather and mercifully our tent kept the wind, the rain and the mud out. I thought the stewards and all other volunteers rose to their significantly more arduous task brilliantly.

My highlights were probably Aradhna (worship, although billed as music), John Dear (talks) and Bellowhead (music).

The abiding memory however will be (the mud and) kneeling before the Most Blessed Sacrament singing Journey's "Don't Stop Believing". Where else other than Greenbelt, eh?!

--------------------

GrahamR
Shipmate
# 11299

- Posted      Profile for GrahamR   Author's homepage   Email GrahamR   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iamchristianhearmeroar:
Wonderful Greenbelt as ever. Nothing could be done about the weather and mercifully our tent kept the wind, the rain and the mud out. I thought the stewards and all other volunteers rose to their significantly more arduous task brilliantly.

I think you're quite right about the stewards, etc and I thought that the organisers did a good job in difficult circumstances. I know it was pretty extreme downpours, but I was less impressed with the infrastructure of the racecourse - surely better drainage isn't beyond their capabilities, especially when buildings start flooding! If I were the Greenbelt organisers I think I'd be asking for money back and assurances that improvements would be made...

--------------------
My blog - theology, archaeology, science

Posts: 184 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The racecourse drainage worked perfectly. It took the water away from the track the horses run on. That's not where we were...

--------------------
Ken

frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
PaulW and I aren't quite home yet as we are stopping in Bath for a couple of nights.

I only needed one night in a bath to get rid of the mud - did you fall in a puddle?

My Greenbelt was really different in shape this year - it was the first time I was responsible for a group of children and that massively shaped what I attended, and it felt as though some days were all about cooking and washing up. We also spent Sunday trying to come up with a wet weather back-up plan for our outdoor Cream Tea Communion service on the Monday, fortunately the weather cooperated until after we had cleared the tea things away. Highlights were: The Proclaimers, Grace Petrie, comedian James Acaster, and the only proper talk I got to - Abdul-Rehman Malik on 72 Virgins and Islamic ideas of Paradise. My would be highlight was the Roots stage, which I discovered by accident as we loaded the car with baskets of leftovers after our communion. I saw Ken there, but did anyone else even know it existed?

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I wandered past the Roots stage a couple of times. One time there was a guy singing a funny song about IKEA and later on there was a band doing some lively, well-known worship songs to a small, but appreciative audience. And a nephew of a friend of mine got a slot there to do his slam poetry, but I missed that as I was tending the cooking so they could watch him.

My highlights were the L'Arche service, Rend Collective, the Folk-On gig on mainstage and the play "Call Mr. Robeson". And thankfully my tent kept dry the whole time.

Posts: 903 | From: The Wool Basket | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

Graham R - you can't design for that kind of downpour - buildings flood when they are at the bottom of hills. Money back - why because it rained?
We left early on Monday evening but not before buying our tickets for next year. We thought it was important to encourage GB in difficult times.

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Yesterday I spent 6 hours at the very front of the mainstage, going through Karin Polwart, Seth Lakeman (did any performer have a more apt name?), The Imagined Village and Bellowhead.

Well quite possibly we were bopping around next to each other without realising, as that's where I was as well. At least for Karine and Imagined Village. I had fully intended to be there all the way through, but I realised I really needed food, so missed Seth and then got tempted by Abigail Washburn in Performance Cafe so only made the end of Bellowhead from the back.

Still, funny to think I was probably next to another Shippie without realising. Do you ever do Shipmeets? Would be nice to meet.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
Well quite possibly we were bopping around next to each other without realising, as that's where I was as well. At least for Karine and Imagined Village.

Me too, for Imagined Village. Well,maybe not exactly bopping, but swaying in time to the music. I know I have your image in some photos (or at any rate the shoulder of your waterproof top), perhaps I have the Cat's as well?

--------------------
Ken

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I have done shipmeets, but not for many years. And I assiduously track down all pictures of me and destroy them.....

I did talk to the people next to me, if they seemed friendly. During TIV and Bellowhead, I was next to a youth group, so I don't think you were in that. For Seth Lakeman and Karine, I was next to a lady with two daughters, one called Laura who played double bass. So if that was you, hello.......

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

Well, the Mystery Worshipper hated the Communion service...again...

[edited to add link]

[ 31. August 2012, 23:36: Message edited by: iamchristianhearmeroar ]

--------------------

busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I disliked it more than usual this year.
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I was not impressed with the communion. I think, as so often, that it tries to be a slightly different communion service, for 10-15K people, and it doesn't work - this was my third greenbelt, and I have never known it to really work well.

I would have liked to have seen a far more innovative and challenging event - not service. I would have liked better use of the space, more things happening, an event that reflected the wonderfully weird nature of the people who tend to attend.

Frank Skinner made an interesting comment, that he had avoided coming for many years, because he thought the attendees might be "weird". I understand the feeling, but Greenbelters are actually very normal people. Often weird Christians, but that is the same thing.

The communion was far more "normal Christian" and less "Greenbelt".

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting report - I don't think I agree with the writer. The teenagers in our group said it was one of the better services they had been to and that they enjoyed it. There was a clear lead for the singing, which hasn't always been the case.
I think it is a case of you can't please all the people ...

--------------------
Less is more ...

iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

quote:
I would have liked to have seen a far more innovative and challenging event - not service. I would have liked better use of the space, more things happening, an event that reflected the wonderfully weird nature of the people who tend to attend.
I would love it to be more weird, but I think then even fewer people would like it than currently do! I agree that the diversity of the festival isn't really reflected in the Communion. In the worship pageant, for example, there was Aradhna, Andy Flanagan, Feig, and loads of others all in the presence of the Most Blessed Sacrament, which I and others had processed behind all around the festival site. That's more like it!

I also find it difficult to justify a mark of 1/10. I have been to many dire services, none of which I would give only 1/10. Perhaps I just inexplicably enjoy going to church whatever happens!

--------------------

The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there was enough innovative & challenging forms of worship elsewhere at Greenbelt for those that wanted to find it. For me, the Communion Service is more about celebrating the fact that there are so many of us (compared to the 60 or so at the church I attend), and that on the whole people are just glad to be there. I read enough in Eccles to know that for some people if it isn't done in a certain way, it isn't proper. I'm glad Greenbelt isn't like that!

--------------------
Less is more ...

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Kat in the Hat - I get what you mean. There are other places to experience and learn from very way-out worship. But there is a place, I think, in the main communion, to simply use the space and area better, and to explore things that you might be able to integrate into a more normal worship service.

Or maybe that is what they did, and I just find "normal" worship uninspiring.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

Well I know we don't normally blow bubbles in a church service - so maybe it is that we have different views on what is considered "normal".
I do think they try & do the best they can, given the circumstances. They are open to suggestions, so if you have an idea, why not share it?

--------------------
Less is more ...

busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

Indeed the bubbles were good fun but citing the bit of the service intended to keep small children happy as its best feature is a serious case of damning with faint praise.

I honestly don't mind weird but can't be doing with rewriting the eucharistic prayer using so much environmental imagery as if the sin of causing climate change were all that mattered.

And the Piece for Voices was just plain dull.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016