homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Greenbelt 2012 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Greenbelt 2012
busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I disliked it more than usual this year.
Posts: 903 | From: The Wool Basket | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by busyknitter:
I honestly don't mind weird but can't be doing with rewriting the eucharistic prayer using so much environmental imagery as if the sin of causing climate change were all that mattered.

I was ok with that, and thought it was quite appropriate. It does not mean that this is the only aspect, just one to be remembered.

quote:
And the Piece for Voices was just plain dull.

And that is exactly what could have been done better. More volume, more different voices, and spreading them out across the crowd would have made it work better, I think. As it was, because I couldn't see or hear it very well, it was lost on me.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:
I honestly don't mind weird but can't be doing with rewriting the eucharistic prayer using so much environmental imagery as if the sin of causing climate change were all that mattered.

I was ok with that, and thought it was quite appropriate. It does not mean that this is the only aspect, just one to be remembered.

It wasn't so much the content - I think I agree with what they said - as the form. Little moralising homilies dressed up as fake prayers.

quote:

For so-called intercessions that tell you what you already know and the congregation what to do,

Lord, have mercy.

quote:

quote:
And the Piece for Voices was just plain dull.

And that is exactly what could have been done better. More volume, more different voices, and spreading them out across the crowd would have made it work better, I think. As it was, because I couldn't see or hear it very well, it was lost on me.

I could hear it very well and it was lost on me.

From a purely dramatic point of view you are right, they flubbed it by all standing in the same place and choosing speakers with very similar voices so it often wasn't clear who was speaking. It was if someone was being Jesus and someone being a preacher and someone being a woman sitting in the congregation and someone being a woman at home in London and someone being a poor woman in some place where people are poorer than London and someone being a cat and someone being some domestic object or other and all speaking similar things in similar voices so you couldn't tell them apart.

But there, unlike the prayers, I think the content was lacking, not just the form. If it had been done well it would have been better poetry but I suspect that it would have not been better preaching.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked the Communion Service. Best one in years. Normally I find it tries to be all things to all people so fails to be anything. This time it was coherent rather than bitty. (Though possibly a bit wordy for the location in places.). And unlike the MW I found the different women's voices both distinctive and appropriately dramatic.

So, goes to show they really can't please everyone.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was one of the ones who didn't think it was great - I felt it got better but by that stage the kids were getting restless (it was over 1h 1/2 long) and the bubbles had run out!

Overall I really enjoyed Greenbelt this year. I thought the children's festival was very strong - a lot of good shows and things for the kids to do - we were in the playhouse at least once if not 2 or 3 times a day. The positioning of it was better as well as it felt larger but also safe for the children to be in the play tent while you sat outside with a coffee.

Apart from the children's stuff my main part was the Music. Because I like the folky stuff a lot I thought it was a great lineup this year. The Proclaimers were their usual good fun, The Imagined Village were amazing - I loved the way teh different personalities and the range of different styles intertwined together. Hope and Social were fun until the rain came (and as others had said it really did come down) and Bellowhead made me leave teh festival in a happy mood.

All in all another fun year...

Tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really liked the service.

Interestingly, by nature I am in many ways a boring-conservative-evangelical and it would not be the kind of thing I would choose.

Some of the music I loved, some not so much. But I did think it all engaging.

Yes there were some 'techinical' issues with the voices but for me that was a really strong part of the service; the voices of the hurting and broken in this world of sin. I felt a strong sense of the passion of Jesus. I wrote on my facebook wall that I found the service very moving and "I am convinced that in a world so broken and hurting it is only in Jesus, the broken, hurting and dying God that we find any answers"

YMMV.

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tractor Girl
Shipmate
# 8863

- Posted      Profile for Tractor Girl   Author's homepage   Email Tractor Girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was definately a "marmite" one this year. I was one of those who thought it was one of the best for years although I thought it did get a bit wordy in places.
What made it good for me was the fact it was straightforward without alot of complicated instructions to follow and didn't seem to drag so much as some years. Think the fact it was songs which were known or easy to pick up helped.

--------------------
Patience, Firmness and Perseverance were my only weapons; and those I resolved to use to the utmost - Anne Bronte

Posts: 1114 | From: The field of life | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

- Posted      Profile for East Price Road   Email East Price Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoyed the communion more than I have most of the past few years. I liked the songs, and the speakers all spoke clearly.

I DID NOT enjoy being marked out as the oldest in my group - the grounds for identifying the oldest and youngest in each group to break the bread and pour the wine was never fully explained!

I enjoyed the hilarious typo which meant that at one point we were encouraged to "eat this beard" [Snigger]

--------------------
"Fishes stop and ask me where I'm bound." (Incredible String Band)

Posts: 739 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our group didn't bother with that, nor did they wait until being told before pouring out the wine.

--------------------
Less is more ...

busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our group failed to notice that particular instruction as well.
Posts: 903 | From: The Wool Basket | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Kat in the Hat:
Our group didn't bother with that, nor did they wait until being told before pouring out the wine.

Why does this not surprise me. You had drunk the whole lot before the service I expect.......

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by East Price Road:
I enjoyed the hilarious typo which meant that at one point we were encouraged to "eat this beard" [Snigger]

It doesn't beat the one from our first year, which had us singing about the "fields of the poo".

That still stands out as the most embarrassing published typo ever.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Kat in the Hat:

Why does this not surprise me. You had drunk the whole lot before the service I expect.......
So that's why we enjoyed it [Snigger]

--------------------
Less is more ...

The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We forgot to go.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually enjoyed Greenbelt this time round, [Roll Eyes] mud and all. Volunteering turned out to be A Good Idea.

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think if I didn't volunteer I would find Greenbelt a lonely place. I knew heaps of people who go but increasingly they are all attached and hang out by default with their partner. Seem very happy to see/meet up me when I ask but make far less effort actually to arrange to meet up / go to things together than when we were all unattached at GB.

Totally understandable but arranging to meet for tea or at one thing once in a weekend is different to 'what shall we do now, who's doing what, fancy going to...'

As I said, understandable, but I think if I weren't volunteering I'd be a bit lonely.

As it is I love Greenbelt, love meeting up with people I don't get to see often enough even if it is only for a brief moment in passing these days, and had a fantastic festival.

--------------------

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Yangtze - if you go next year, lets swap phone numbers. I normally end up on my own, and would love to meet up.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
I think if I didn't volunteer I would find Greenbelt a lonely place. I knew heaps of people who go but increasingly they are all attached and hang out by default with their partner. Seem very happy to see/meet up me when I ask but make far less effort actually to arrange to meet up / go to things together than when we were all unattached at GB.

Totally understandable but arranging to meet for tea or at one thing once in a weekend is different to 'what shall we do now, who's doing what, fancy going to...'

As I said, understandable, but I think if I weren't volunteering I'd be a bit lonely.

As it is I love Greenbelt, love meeting up with people I don't get to see often enough even if it is only for a brief moment in passing these days, and had a fantastic festival.

Yup, you've said it. This year's volunteering was a calculated risk for me; if it hadn't worked , I'd decided to take a rest from GB for a few years. Happily the outcome was positive. I'll Be Back.

Agree that the dynamics change when you're not attached - to partner or group. (My other half no longer 'does' Greenbelt). With just one exception that I knew of,
all my team were there either with their church or partner to go back to, although I felt quite sorry for the couples who were working different shifts in different venues and so hardly saw anything of each other all weekend!

I found that not having that ready-made network to fall back on I really needed to push myself forward more than I'd normally do and valued those brief meetings I had all the more because of that. Ironically I went straight on to our annual church pilgrimage soon after GB - four days of enforced togetherness - the two complemented each other quite nicely! [Smile]

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

quote:
Yangtze - if you go next year, lets swap phone numbers. I normally end up on my own, and would love to meet up.

Barring some unforeseen disaster I will be there next year and that would be nice.

I should say that I camp with a few (very few, just four of us this year) folk from my church, which is lovely and we're usually near Auntie Doris and other Shippies so I'm not exactly tented up all on my lonesome. But I did realise that it's really only other people who have come without a partner who are really proactive about arranging to meet up and go to things together.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016