homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » AuntieDoris & PaulW in London - 21 September

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: AuntieDoris & PaulW in London - 21 September
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, PaulW and I will be in London for a couple of nights to go to a gig. We don't get over so much these days as we are now living on a small rock in the middle of the English Channel, but we need to see the big city!

So, we were wondering whether anyone would be around for a shipmeet on Friday 21 September.

I am guessing that food and beer somewhere would be a good options. When and where to be decided but I thought it would be helpful to give a reasonable notice!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't think I'm around then but I'll be in London at the start of September so will start my own thread - hey, Londoners, you don't see any ex-London shippies for ages then they all turn up at once. Just like the Routemasters (bus reference for Spike).

(Actually I'm in London the first half-week of August as well but don't think I'll get the chance to be sociable as it clashes with the Duck Meet and I have lots of other people to catch up with - as well as work, of course).

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're returning from holiday that day, but may be able to make it.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Possibly - no idea what I'm doing then, so all plans are subject to change.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, did anyone manage to meet? Inquiring minds...

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a good few months to go before we meet!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any idea where you want to meet? Pubs in London tend to be packed on Friday evenings.

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Any idea where you want to meet? Pubs in London tend to be packed on Friday evenings.

Have got absolutely no idea yet. I thought we could decide nearer the time. I am open to any suggestions though.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Waterworks] I have tickets for Jesus Christ Superstar that night!

Will you still be in town for brunch on Saturday??

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:
[Waterworks] I have tickets for Jesus Christ Superstar that night!

Will you still be in town for brunch on Saturday??

Not sure yet because we are hoping to meet up The Boys.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Look what I found - a thread about a ship meet hiding away.

I'll be there. Wherever 'there' ends up being.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, seeing as I usually prove to be hopeless and unreliable when it comes to Shipmeets (official ones anyway [Smile] ) I really shouldn't even say a word... but I'd love to see you!
So here's hoping...

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just realised that I should be able to join this London meet [Yipee] because I'm staying there overnight so I can get an early morning train to go Abroad.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Afraid we're in Norwich that night, as BC gets married on 22nd September. Raise a glass to us!

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

Oooo Chelley it would be lovely to see you - it has been far too long!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Macarius and I stand ready to do our duty and attend!

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moth - married???!! Really !! Gosh, that's great! (still thinking of the caterpillars as children)
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

Now Greenbelt is all over with I am resurrecting this thread.

PaulW and I are still going to be in London and would love to see anyone who would like to be around.

Venue is up for negotiation although possibly around London Bridge if anyone has any bright ideas of nice places to go.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Bumping the thread again. Tins & I are away for a week from tomorrow and probably won't have much access to the Ship. Any ideas for venues yet?

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Ship in Borough? I'm not sure yet if I can play - I'll know how broke I am nearer the time.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
The Ship in Borough? I'm not sure yet if I can play - I'll know how broke I am nearer the time.

I was hoping we might do a North of the River fir a change... but then I just realised London Bridge is south as well!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

North of the river, near LOondon Bridge is going to be The City. That will be Hell on earth on a Friday evening.

This Ship sounds good. The Barrowboy and Banker (Wetherspoon) next to the Cathedral I'm told is OK and we've had at least one shipmeet at The Old Thameside Inn in the past.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This Ship sounds good. The Barrowboy and Banker (Wetherspoon) next to the Cathedral I'm told is OK

Though tends to get packed and very noisy.

quote:

and we've had at least one shipmeet at The Old Thameside Inn in the past.

Certainly Thameside but not at all old! A bit plastic.

I prefer the ones in the market myself - the Globe and the Market Porter and the other one whose name I can never remember. Ship is OK. As are a couple of others nearby. My favourite ones are on the other side of Borough High Street - but that might be getting too deep into South East London for those from the posh side of the river!

[ 13. September 2012, 19:04: Message edited by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Trouble with the Market Porter is there's nowhere to sit.

--------------------

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

quote:
Trouble with the Market Porter is there's nowhere to sit.

We definitely need somewhere to sit!

I don't massively mind where we meet as long as the food is good and there is decent beer for PaulW!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I seem to remember us getting seats at the Ship before so that could be good.

I would suggest near Liverpool St for north of the river but I can't think of a pub round there that's not likely to be packed.

--------------------

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

Or, I just remembered the Betsy Trotwood north of the river near Farringon (so good for anyone who can use Thameslink to get south after and handy for various other lines too - not too far from Kings X or Chancery Lane).

Good beer & I think food.

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like.....
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
....not too far from Kings X....

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
Or, I just remembered the Betsy Trotwood north of the river near Farringon (so good for anyone who can use Thameslink to get south after and handy for various other lines too - not too far from Kings X or Chancery Lane).

Actually now that the East London Line has been extended north to Dalston and Highbury, thus connecting Islington with civilisation, the pubs round your way are surprisingly accesible by public transport from South London. [Razz]

Its the north west that's hard to get to!

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

Ken, I did think about suggesting Dalston but I figured it might still be in 'where the hell is that, I'm not going there, too far away' territory for some people.

And also it's full of hipsters these days.

But if anyone's up for coming up this way whether now or in the future then yes, lots of fantastic places to go.

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And what time will it be that we meet? It's going to be work that day for me and it might be late-ish...

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

What time do you finish work? I imagine 7-7.30ish would be about right. I have to admit that I am not doing really late nights these days!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

Could I propose the following: we'll be in the Betsy Trotwood from after work on Friday - after work being around 6ish onwards.

Otherwise there might be a weird gap for some people to have to fill between finishing work and 7pm and it's not generally possible for Londoners to go home in between.

Those who finish work later to join later.

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We'll be there - perhaps not at 6 but sometime soon after.

M.

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

Perfect. Looking forward to seeing everyone [Smile]

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

Betsy Trotwood

--------------------

Maddie
Ship's cartographer
# 11

- Posted      Profile for Maddie   Author's homepage   Email Maddie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Finally managed to get back in after changing computer!

We'll be there and looking forward to it.

Posts: 1304 | From: East of England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

I hope to join you there - most likely after 7:30 but will have more of an idea late Fri afternoon.
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I'm planning to come in, but I won't be travelling until after 7pm, so won't get there until 8ish.

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

Well Auntie Doris has only just finished the Battle of Oxford Street so can't imagine they'll be there much before 7.

I'm on my way now (6.15)

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

Good to see everyone and lovely to see Auntie Doris looking so blooming!

M.

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Great to see everyone ... Either again or for the first time. If only I'd been more organised perhaps I could have arranged a quick Paris meet right now....
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

And you're all in luck, no photos - I decided the light was so awful I wasn't even going to try.

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Sorry we didn't make it. Our journey home took longer than expected (ferry running ˝ hour late and then appalling traffic back on the mainland) so we got back later than expected and were both knackered. Glad you all had a good time.

--------------------

Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry too. Wrong side of river, Friday night and all that... it was on my list of possibilities but I missed it. Hope it was a good one.
Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

Thanks to all who came out on Friday night - it was lovely to see everyone.

Sorry we had to go so early, my back seems to be suffering somewhat!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016