homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » leo (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: leo
Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Actually I believe that was Mitch, not Stanley, however…Karl Malden…leo…you're still right.)

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In fact it was Blanche.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
It's possible that somewhere there is a thread where leo is contributing posts with more than three sentences. It hasn't come up on my screen lately, but I don't read every single thread the way the hosts do.

What I've noticed lately is that he will post one or two sentences on a thread with a very involved subject and seem to expect that to end discussion--everyone should just go "OH! Thanks, leo, we didn't know that--now we understand everything perfectly". Threads don't work that way--if you're going to contribute to a serious thread (beyond asking for clarification) you need to spend some time with your post.

I'm not against one-liners (I've indulged in them myself a few times, and I usually enjoy mousethief's witty ripostes). They should be germane to something in the thread, however, and they really ought to be amusing if they are going to avoid the ire of the hosts. I'm not certain leo has ever tried to be amusing--I'm quite certain he's not succeeding now.

You can add me to the list of those who don't really care if he's a lovely person in the flesh, because it is most unlikely I will ever have the opportunity to interact with him in that manner. When you are on an internet bulletin board, your behaviour on the internet is all that matters.

Every single thing you ever post on the SoF reads like a fucking job application for Host. I'm not sure why I should give a toss, but it annoys me in the same way Chip Watkins did at school by raising his hand whenever a Tutor wanted a volunteer for something. He never was made prefect.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
In fact it was Blanche.

We have miscommunicated but not worth sorting out - it being a frivolous tangent and all.

(I did however meet Mr. Williams when I was in school in New Orleans. He was drunk and I was 20. It was not a happy encounter.)

--------------------

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The difference between us, Yorick, is that I don't want to be a host.

Another difference is that I can state that and most Shipmates will believe me.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
We have miscommunicated but not worth sorting out - it being a frivolous tangent and all.

Ah yes. Right you are <slaps forehead>. I plead allowances for second language (culturally speaking).

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
(I did however meet Mr. Williams when I was in school in New Orleans. He was drunk and I was 20. It was not a happy encounter.)

Wow. And oh well. I would have identified the basic substrates for a happier encounter, but perhaps the catalysts were wrong. Humans are complicated.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
They should be germane to something in the thread, however, and they really ought to be amusing if they are going to avoid the ire of the hosts.

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Every single thing you ever post on the SoF reads like a fucking job application for Host. I'm not sure why I should give a toss, but it annoys me...

You might be confusing saying something constructive with crawling to become a host. On the other hand I suspect;

quote:
When you are on an internet bulletin board, your behaviour on the internet is all that matters.

Is the bit that really pushed your button.

--------------------

Sine Nomine

# 66

quote:
The difference between us, Yorick, is that I don't want to be a host.

Another difference is that I can state that and most Shipmates will believe me.

Yorick is always such an excellent example of "When I point the finger at you I've got three pointing back at me."

(mdijon, among other issues that was back when I thought 35 was 'old'.)

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Crikey, do you children seriously imagine that a) I want/have the time to be a host here, or b) I kid myself I'd ever be permitted to be one? Hahaha. That's cheered me up.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

# 66

Why no. I'd always assumed you wanted to go straight to 'admin'.

--------------------

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think "b" is quite believable.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

True you don't have the time, the inclination, or any likelihood of becoming host Yorick.

But wouldn't it have been great if you had.

(Sine, I can guess that point of view wouldn't have gone down well if expressed. And 20 yr olds can be a bit transparent.)

--------------------

passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Crikey, do you children seriously imagine that a) I want/have the time to be a host here, or b) I kid myself I'd ever be permitted to be one? Hahaha. That's cheered me up.

Been a while since we had a H&A Day. [Devil]
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those who enjoy irony, but have no Bible close at hand, and also no belief that this thread should become all about Yorick, here is a link to 1 Corinthians 13:1-13 stating, among other things, love is gentle, love is kind, love is not envious or boastful or proud.
So, RuthW calls this bullshit, leo sugests RuthW needs to learn to read and interpret the Bible more clearly, I suggest bwa-hah-hah-hah-hah!
(If anyone wants a link to 1 Corinthians 12 or a different translation, Google is your friend, and I fall short of love's ideal description, while seeing RuthW and leo dimly as through a computer screen.)

Most people probably thought 1 Cor. 13 was written as dialogue for the movie 4 Weddings and a Funeral but actually, it is Holy Scripture!

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Obviously, I don't follow all this coded ChristianSpeak*, but that sounds like a version of ITTWACW to me.

*I reserve the right - in the kind of theological dispute that doesn't come my way much these days - to nod wisely and say: I think you'll find the 2nd chapter of Nehemiah answers that point.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That passage of 1 Corinthians is constructively suspended in Hell. Except in the case of Golden Key. [Angel]

[ 10. August 2012, 21:55: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
quote:

Been a while since we had a H&A Day. [Devil]
That would be too weird. Even for H&A day. Besides, I doubt anyone could afford the bribe.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Hell calls mean nothing more than that - they're not some kind of special opprobrium reserved for only the most leotarded fuckwits on the Ship.

I see what you did there. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Divine Outlaw Dwarf:
Look, that Romans 12-3 constitutes a literary unit, and that once this is taken on board the import of Romans 13:1 looks very different is hardly a Leonine invention.

I don't see how their being a literary unit means you can't disagree with one of the chapters and not the other. The lost coin / lost sheep / prodigal son cycle constitutes a literary unit, but that doesn't mean someone couldn't think one of the parables was shite and the other two just dandy.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
He is well read.

And writes almost as well as he reads. In fact, almost identically as well as he reads.
Bazinga!

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

SF, how does RuthW's distaste for Romans 13 translate to thinking I Corinthians 13 is shit?

--------------------

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
SF, how does RuthW's distaste for Romans 13 translate to thinking I Corinthians 13 is shit?

Ummm - because RuthW said on the Purgatory thread that the 1 Cor. 13 passage was the greatest bullshit in all of the Bible, prompting leo's arrogant response, prompting this thread, which I see as embracing irony.
You need to learn how to read the threads better, OB, and find the connecting pieces, if I may kind of plagarize leo while still giving him credit. While doing so in a patient, kind and loving manner which is not arrogant or boastful or rude.

--------------------

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

SF, I don't know what you are drinking but I need to get some.

--------------------

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

Oh. Bugger! Sorry RuthW and others, wrong passage, I mis-spoke.
There is a first time for everything, I suppose.

--------------------

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

I'd still like to know your liquor of choice--it sounds like fun.

(And it was a nice note about I Corinthians 13).

--------------------

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Faux:
quote:

Ummm - because RuthW said on the Purgatory thread that the 1 Cor. 13 passage was the greatest bullshit in all of the Bible, prompting leo's arrogant response, prompting this thread, which I see as embracing irony.
You need to learn how to read the threads better, OB, and find the connecting pieces, if I may kind of plagarize leo while still giving him credit. While doing so in a patient, kind and loving manner which is not arrogant or boastful or rude.

Well Romans 13 is questionable and has been disobyed by countless Christians both right and left, often for good reasons. 1 Corinthians 13 is lovely poetry, somewhat cliched now, and not particularly Christian anyway - Christians do not have the monopoly on the primacy of love.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I don't know why I bother.

Simple: you don't have a life.
[Killing me]

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
1 Corinthians 13 is lovely poetry, somewhat cliched now, and not particularly Christian anyway - Christians do not have the monopoly on the primacy of love.

I don't believe it says they do? [Confused]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stejjie:
quote:
Originally posted by Divine Outlaw Dwarf:
Look, that Romans 12-3 constitutes a literary unit, and that once this is taken on board the import of Romans 13:1 looks very different is hardly a Leonine invention. Look, say, at Borg and Crossan's recent book on Paul for an accessible case to this end by NT scholars. I happen to agree with Leo (and Borg and Crossan). I also don't think he came across as much worse than anyone else on that thread. That's all.

I didn't question any of that and I don't think Ruth did, either. Which is why (to me, at any rate) leo's posts came across as arrogant as they suggested that Ruth's reading was "wrong" because she didn't share the same opinion of the passage as him and that if she'd only read them the right way, she'd change her mind.

The implication seemed to be that if she didn't agree with leo, she was reading it wrong - it couldn't possibly be that her opinion of the passage was different...

Or that she was just being stubbornly resistant to changing her mind--the implication being that this was an emotional reaction that interfered with her reasoning. But then she is female, so what can you expect.... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
1 Corinthians 13 is lovely poetry, somewhat cliched now, and not particularly Christian anyway - Christians do not have the monopoly on the primacy of love.

It's cliched because it's one of those things that people say but don't do, even though we know life would be much more bearable if we did do it. Or at least gave it a jolly good try a little more often. I understand it was one of Gandhi's favourite readings; I sometimes use his version of it in wedding addresses.

And you're right that Christians don't have the monopoly on the primacy of love.

God islove, so from a Christian perspective Christ is the perfect embodiment of 1 Cor 13. But everytime love is expressed in a 1 Cor 13 kind of way, this is the property of God's essence in his creation breaking through; regardless of denomination, faith or the lack of it.

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

I don't believe it says they do? [Confused]
Some who believe in the infallibility of Paul often do. Unfortuntately.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

I am very, very sorry and embarassed to have posted the wrong info on this thread and somewhat de-railed it from booting leo in Christian love to discussing Paul's description of Christian love in action within community relationships.
I have no excuse, it was a stupid accident.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine on another thread:
What change are you actually expecting? Or is it merely the satisfaction of pointing out his shortcomings? (which is something I can certainly relate to.)

I didn't start the thread with a well meaning desire to reform Leo. That would raise the question of my own arrogance and insight.

On reflection I expect very little. Maybe there is a small chance of genuine engagement and reflection, but it is so unlikely as to not be worth the trouble of this thread.

I started the thread because I was genuinely annoyed and couldn't help myself. In retrospect it is probably not helping anyone, and I shouldn't have. In fact even at the time I thought that was probably the case, but on this occasion my cognitive centres were unable to inhibit more instinctive neurological activity.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
leo is in my mind forever D'arcy Honeybun (those of you with a copy of Verse and Worse to hand can look it up). The point, as Sine has said, is here is someone who is no more than his flatulent, delusional pathetic persona. There is no 'real' for him to be.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

We should perhaps remember that some have seen another side of him, and spoken up about it.

(Although Chorister hasn't popped in to say he's OK really apart from his punctuation and coding, and that's got to be a bad sign.)

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

(Although Chorister hasn't popped in to say he's OK really apart from his punctuation and coding, and that's got to be a bad sign.)

Leotard never hangs out in the Circus. He is much too good and serious for all that inanity, geddit?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I’ve looked at the original thread and I can’t see what RuthW specifically thinks is the trouble with Romans 13. Presumably the awful bit about “those authorities that exist have been instituted by God”. I don’t know if that’s what leo thought because neither Ruth nor leo were specific as far as I could see.

Romans 12 makes no difference to its potential awfulness (although there’s no need to be stroppy and oppositional just for the sake of it). I don’t see the point of the reference to Romans 12.

However Christians have been ignoring the advice in Romans 13.1 for as long as they have existed. In the three centuries after Paul hundreds of Christian martyrs defied the emperor to the point of death.

And there are the serious Christians who defied Charles I to the point of civil war.

More relevant to another thread in Hell (ie ken) is Charles Lwanga, a page at the court of King Mwanga of Uganda, who was martyred in 1886. He defied the king who regularly had sex with the young men of his court. Presumably Mwanga did not learn his proclivities from European influences.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
I’ve looked at the original thread and I can’t see what RuthW specifically thinks is the trouble with Romans 13. Presumably the awful bit about “those authorities that exist have been instituted by God”. I don’t know if that’s what leo thought because neither Ruth nor leo were specific as far as I could see.

I doubt very much that leo did think; it's not his habit. But yes, the notion that existing authorities have been instituted by God is the bullshit to which I was referring.

quote:
Romans 12 makes no difference to its potential awfulness
No kidding.

quote:
(although there’s no need to be stroppy and oppositional just for the sake of it).
I had a good reason. I still do.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
quote:

Leotard never hangs out in the Circus. He is much too good and serious for all that inanity, geddit?
Sometimes, pomposity can be a virtue. This Circus host at least is quite glad it keeps him someone else's problem.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not many pompous shipmates do post in the Circus.

Cool. [Cool]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
quote:

I usually follow 3 thread in the Circus and have occasionally posted, especially when there is a poll.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I started the thread because I was genuinely annoyed and couldn't help myself. In retrospect it is probably not helping anyone, and I shouldn't have. In fact even at the time I thought that was probably the case, but on this occasion my cognitive centres were unable to inhibit more instinctive neurological activity.

31 out of your last 50 posts have been in Hell. I am wondering what that signifies.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:

OTH, how could that be?! [Eek!] Leo knows everything about anything and we should be grateful the opportunity to bask in his wisdom. [Disappointed] [Roll Eyes]

Tubbs

Don't forget all the books he has read. Three at a time, no doubt.
I usually have three books on the go at any one time. Sound advice from my English master all those years ago.

--------------------

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

31 out of your last 50 posts have been in Hell. I am wondering what that signifies.
That the 19 posts out of 50 posted outside of hell are posted with care and thought and that he felt he had something to say.

As for hell postings themselves, they don't prove anything unless during said postings one proves themselves an ass. mdijon hasn't proven that yet. Your posts that brought your hell call were arrogant, pompous and designed to whip up Ruth. Nowhere else to tell you that than hell.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:

OTH, how could that be?! [Eek!] Leo knows everything about anything and we should be grateful the opportunity to bask in his wisdom. [Disappointed] [Roll Eyes]

Tubbs

Don't forget all the books he has read. Three at a time, no doubt.
I usually have three books on the go at any one time. Sound advice from my English master all those years ago.
Three books on the go at any one time is impressive; do you complete them using crayons, coloured markers, or carefully sharpened pencil crayons?

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl:
they don't prove anything unless during said postings one proves themselves an ass. mdijon hasn't proven that yet.

The sentiment is kindly received, but I must admit that I have in fact proven myself an ass on several occasions on the ship.

The place I developed insight on those occasions was in hell. Expressing and engaging with one's less reputable moments can be informative.

Hell can be a place of endless slanging that goes nowhere and achieves nothing. It can also be a place where one expresses oneself honestly, and constructive engagement and reflection actually is possible.

You have to dig a bit further into my posting history to prove that I'm an ass than simply checking the location of the 50 last posts. But not all that much further. In my defence I would also say that you'll find me engaging with the fact that I might be an ass in those places.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Loquacious beachcomber:
Three books on the go at any one time is impressive; do you complete them using crayons, coloured markers, or carefully sharpened pencil crayons?

One by the bed, one to read during the day and one in the lavatory to read when one is taking a dump. Like any ordinary person, despite what he may think.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Only three? Lightweight

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not like anything leo utters matters anyway. Find a post where he seems to know what he's talking about in any meaningful way, and you're undoubtedly looking at something he copy/pasted from somewhere else. He's a useless lying shitstain.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't hold back RooK. Just say what you think.
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by Loquacious beachcomber:

One by the bed, one to read during the day and one in the lavatory to read when one is taking a dump. Like any ordinary person, despite what he may think.
I'm a three-at-one time kind of girl (bookwise!). One, something sort of serious; one something familiar and classic; one easy escapism. Eg, currently: a history of Michael Collins, Sherlock Holmes stories and a Parnell 'Stanley Hastings' Detective story. I take my leisure time seriously!

(Also, the Kindle makes it easy to do this!)

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I signed a petition/ card for Pastor Nadarkhani in church yesterday. So sod Leo's take on Rom. 13.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016