homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » leo (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: leo
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

- Posted      Profile for aumbry         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And you are very welcome to go through all of my past posts to find anything remotely anti-gay. It is only dimbo American liberals that I have a problem with.
Posts: 3869 | From: Quedlinburg | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
See, I thought aumbry was using irony to poke fun at leo, and admired her subtle touch.
Oh, I suppose she could simply be a strange and insane idiot, there are some of those around, but I thought she was employing irony.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
aumbry, I think you are doing one hell of a job distracting attention away from leo.

You may want to consider your potential for coming across as someone who has no facility for debate and flings invective to avoid looking a bit dim.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
aumbry, I think you are doing one hell of a job distracting attention away from leo.

You may want to consider your potential for coming across as someone who has no facility for debate and flings invective to avoid looking a bit dim.

You're probably crediting aumbry with more self awareness than s/he possesses.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had Ulysses on the go since circa 2001*. Does that make me an intellectual?

*in fairness I made it to p.330, which 329 pages further than most people.

Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yerevan:
I've had Ulysses on the go since circa 2001*. Does that make me an intellectual?

*in fairness I made it to p.330, which 329 pages further than most people.

(my italics)

Is it the book you keep in the loo then? There could be any number of reasons for doing so.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
Neither do books which FR Leavis would have described as 'pulp' count.

That would, unfortunately for him, cover much of his and Queenie's output.
haha indeed.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aumbry:
And you are very welcome to go through all of my past posts to find anything remotely anti-gay. It is only dimbo American liberals that I have a problem with.

[Frown] You really do have a problem with Americans, don't you. Who'd've thunk it.
Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Purg (but not an appropriate response for purg):

quote:
Originally posted by leo:

2) every member of the teaching staff would have to teach PE - I would never have become a teacher if this had been one of the requirements, nor would most of my colleagues.

Praise the lord.

Assholes like you in the teaching profession are why I can't get the school day extended or the right subjects taught.

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leo 158 Ken 160.

getting close...

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:

"Invective"? Is that what they call shit these days?

[ 14. August 2012, 19:52: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to me this is all very far from the original hell call I made, on which I'm not going to get any engagement from leo. (Always was little more than a snow ball's chance).

I guess I'll lapse into the obscurity of yet another notch in the record of leo's hell calls and leave it at that.

Hosts, speaking for myself, I'm done here.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe I should be British if I want to practice the art of understatement.
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ruth seems ghastly and graceless to me. I am amazed by Leo's patience with such a shrew.

I have never seen Ruth be ghastly, graceless or shrewish. Have I stumbled into some strange Bizzaro-universe? (A bit like the episode of Buffy where we saw what Xander and Willow would be like if they were vampires?)

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm no hankie-wringing liberal nor any kind of of Aumbryphobe, but I just can't see the Ruth-the-Shrewth thing either.

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aumbry's brainless anti-Americanism discredits everything s/he says. If her brain can't work well enough to get out of the anti-American gutter, how can we trust its workings in any other department? And calling RuthW a shrew just confirms this assessment.

--------------------

Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sort of implies that without the anti-Americanism s/he would be worth reading. I'm sure you can't mean that.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Aumbry's brainless anti-Americanism discredits everything s/he says. If her brain can't work well enough to get out of the anti-American gutter, how can we trust its workings in any other department? And calling RuthW a shrew just confirms this assessment.

That's true!

Just like everytime you utter shite, everything else you utter is totally wrong.

Or like the bible. Ya HUH?

Stand TALL aumbry! Don't let the bastards get you down.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
Stand TALL aumbry! Don't let the bastards get you down.

Apparently alternate universes really do exist. Now I need to find the one where I was born a trust fund baby.

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
Apparently alternate universes really do exist.

Welcome to the real world.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Pre-cambrian:
That sort of implies that without the anti-Americanism s/he would be worth reading. I'm sure you can't mean that.

Oooh good point. I take it back.

--------------------

Sine Nomine

# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
Welcome to the real world.

The world where aumbry is a victimized martyr and you are a brave heroine battling for right?

In that case, please pass the Kool-Aid. There are fates worse than death.

--------------------

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

I had a look at aumbry's recent oeuvre.

What it reveals to me is a highly intelligent, opinionated, person.

When she is trying to engage, she seems to have interesting facts at hand.

When she is trotting out her anti-American prejudice, she looks to be a goof.

That being said, many of us here, myself included, trot out our prejudices from time to time. And when we do, we look like a goof.

Funny how that works.

aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

If you want to know the reason that I consider this creature a shrew you only have to look at the reply she made to my post which she so kindly highlighted on this thread. Admittedly at the time I thought I was still in Purgatory and had not realised I had strayed into Hell but the response was hysterical and came freighted with the Mark of the Shrew to say the very least.

To then discover that she in league with her clones, also decided to attack the Saintly Leo my natural instinct for pure justice and to stand up for the victim and against the bullys took hold. The rest is history.

When the only things you have to go on in Hell is that someone is American then anti-Americanism is the only possible form of vituperation left to one although to be fair my ire was directed at Stupid American Liberals and not Americans in general.

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...the Saintly Leo...

Now I know you're just trolling.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you want to know the reason that I consider this creature a shrew you only have to look at the reply she made to my post which she so kindly highlighted on this thread. Admittedly at the time I thought I was still in Purgatory and had not realised I had strayed into Hell but the response was hysterical and came freighted with the Mark of the Shrew to say the very least.

To then discover that she in league with her clones, also decided to attack the Saintly Leo my natural instinct for pure justice and to stand up for the victim and against the bullys took hold. The rest is history.

When the only things you have to go on in Hell is that someone is American then anti-Americanism is the only possible form of vituperation left to one although to be fair my ire was directed at Stupid American Liberals and not Americans in general.

From reading many of your postings in purgatory I used to think you were intelligent, even when I disagreed with you. This post just showed your ugly, ignorant side. Especially the anti-American tripe. Bigotry is ugly.

I do have to think about Marvin's post, you just might be trolling.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

quote:
Various forms of outright bullshit.

Thank you for making my point for me aumbry.

My father once told me that when you are mad and want to respond, write a letter. Let all your feelings out. Call the asshole an asshole.

Then, put the letter in a drawer for a few days. After that, take it out and gently place it in the trash.

Some of the best advice he ever gave me. It might apply to others as well.

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For a day or two?

I get mad, I start typing a response. By the time I've finished typing and proofreading. I've stopped being as mad. Ten minutes is enough to calm down.

Nine years on the ship and I've only written one published Hell OP, though I've started to type many.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

# 66

quote:
When the only things you have to go on in Hell is that someone is American then anti-Americanism is the only possible form of vituperation left to one

That's so stupid it really deserves to be highlighted.

Although actually you did manage to come up with anti-Americanism and shrewishness. (which suggests to me you are male since surely a woman wouldn't be so self-hating as to call another woman a shrew.)

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If pointing out the fallacy in what passes for argument in that post and standing up for "old Episcopalian queens in America" makes me a shrew, then I'm proud to be a shrew, thanks.

quote:
leo is a bore and a buffoon. It would be amusing to call him "the Saintly Leo" from here on out, but I'm afraid he'd think I was serious.

quote:
How very unimaginative of you. Here, let me give you more to work with: I'm 49, I work as the office manager of an extremely liberal congregation in the United Church of Christ, I live 3 1/2 blocks from the beach in southern California, and I spent yesterday evening at the winebar around the corner drinking red wine, knitting and playing Scrabble -- I lost by 20 points to someone 20 years my junior.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

You would have won if you weren't a shrew.
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
[QUOTE] Here, let me give you more to work with: I'm 49, I work as the office manager of an extremely liberal congregation in the United Church of Christ, I live 3 1/2 blocks from the beach in southern California, and I spent yesterday evening at the winebar around the corner drinking red wine, knitting and playing Scrabble -- I lost by 20 points to someone 20 years my junior.

I might be interested - are you a non-smoker?
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Really? If all you have to go on is that someone you dislike is an American, that drives you to chauvenism? Oh my God you are a shallow pool.

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
aumbry: [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

[ 15. August 2012, 16:24: Message edited by: RuthW ]

aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

quote:
Really? If all you have to go on is that someone you dislike is an American, that drives you to chauvenism? Oh my God you are a shallow pool.

I think someone who has made over 50,000 posts of which barely any are longer than one line is in a position to define the shallows.

[ 15. August 2012, 16:30: Message edited by: aumbry ]

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:

I think someone who has made over 50,000 posts of which barely any are longer than one line is in a position to define the shallows.
Really? Why would that be? And how does that excuse you?

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
aumbry: [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Oh no, now you've made Ruth laugh. I suppose it won't be long before [Big Grin] [Angel] and [Axe murder] come out to play and the whole thread will be shot to pieces. [Roll Eyes]

(Pushes aumbry back into the hidey hole. There, phew, just in time.)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:
quote:

Really? Why would that be? And how does that excuse you?
*crickets*

--------------------

(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

- Posted      Profile for (S)pike couchant     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really hope that I'm never stuck at a part with leo, particularly one where I have to sit next to him. Really, leo, is being unpleasant to other people your primary goal in life?

--------------------
'Still the towers of Trebizond, the fabled city, shimmer on the far horizon, gated and walled' but Bize her yer Trabzon.

Posts: 308 | From: West of Eden, East of England | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've defended leo several times on the Ship, just because I have seen a different side of him IRL. I know that some of his online comments come across as dismissive, patronising or just downright rude.

I too often just want to curl up and die when surrounded by hundreds of people, but I wouldn't be deliberately rude to them. Leo might be, but I don't see how you can get that from the post you've linked to.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

- Posted      Profile for (S)pike couchant     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
I've defended leo several times on the Ship, just because I have seen a different side of him IRL. I know that some of his online comments come across as dismissive, patronising or just downright rude.

Some of his comments?

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
I
I too often just want to curl up and die when surrounded by hundreds of people

As have most of us, I'm sure, but there's a world of difference between occasionally (or even frequently) feeling uncomfortable in social events and grandly declaring that most people aren't worthy of your attention, particularly if they are not willing to discuss religion or politics with a stranger (and one who, let's be honest, isn't the easiest person in the world with whom to have conversations about religion or politics). I think what causes leo's post to be so offensive is the absurd self-importance of it all: 'other people may make idle chatter, but I am far to important to waste my precious time with unimportant conversation and unimportant people'.

--------------------
'Still the towers of Trebizond, the fabled city, shimmer on the far horizon, gated and walled' but Bize her yer Trabzon.

Posts: 308 | From: West of Eden, East of England | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
True, and yet, coming from you - when I have read the pompous self-important tone of your posts in Ecclesiantics - it seems like a dispute over the shade of cookware.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by (S)pike couchant:
...there's a world of difference between occasionally (or even frequently) feeling uncomfortable in social events and grandly declaring that most people aren't worthy of your attention, particularly if they are not willing to discuss religion or politics with a stranger (and one who, let's be honest, isn't the easiest person in the world with whom to have conversations about religion or politics). I think what causes leo's post to be so offensive is the absurd self-importance of it all: 'other people may make idle chatter, but I am far to important to waste my precious time with unimportant conversation and unimportant people'.

I don't really know how old you are, but this is the first post where I've suspected you are under 30.

It's a bit odd to find myself in the position of defending leo, whose posting style usually makes me want to poke him with a sharp stick, but I have found on my way to geezerhood that there comes a time when you realize your "free time" and your energy are limited. You won't have time to make friends with the whole world, and there is nothing wrong in treasuring and cultivating those few friendships you chose to work on. It's one reason why old people on facebook don't have friend lists numbering in the thousands--because they understand that one can have thousands of acquaintances, but not thousands of friends.

I may have mis-interpreted leo's posts on that thread, but it seemed to me that was very much the rut his thoughts were traveling in.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by (S)pike couchant:
I really hope that I'm never stuck at a part with leo, particularly one where I have to sit next to him. Really, leo, is being unpleasant to other people your primary goal in life?

The feeling is quite mutual.

I would resurrect former shipmates Eddy and Audrey Ely and put them in the same room as you.

You'd have an awful lot in common.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
It's a bit odd to find myself in the position of defending leo, whose posting style usually makes me want to poke him with a sharp stick, but I have found on my way to geezerhood that there comes a time when you realize your "free time" and your energy are limited. You won't have time to make friends with the whole world, and there is nothing wrong in treasuring and cultivating those few friendships you chose to work on. It's one reason why old people on facebook don't have friend lists numbering in the thousands--because they understand that one can have thousands of acquaintances, but not thousands of friends.

I may have mis-interpreted leo's posts on that thread, but it seemed to me that was very much the rut his thoughts were traveling in.

Could be. So why is he posting on that thread in the first place? It's as if he posted six times on the baseball thread in The Circus about how much he is bored to death by baseball and would rather be home reading.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
You won't have time to make friends with the whole world, and there is nothing wrong in treasuring and cultivating those few friendships you chose to work on.

True. But to write off meeting anybody new socially because you won't have any interests in common is a hell of a statement. How do you know you won't have anything in common with them if you never meet them? What are you going to do when, with the passage of time, your existing small circle of close friends diminishes - look forward to an isolated old age?

I've seen this firsthand in other people and I really don't recommend it. The existing relationships tend to become either intense, often one-sidedly, with things blown up out of proportion, or else the person seems to detach from it all and is less and less easy to reach.

I do find it hard to believe that Leo's only interests are "religion, sex and politics". I can understand not being interested in sport, but no interest at all in the arts or music? At a dinner party, no interest in the food or wine? Silence unless one of three topic-buttons is pressed?

I can understand being an introvert and needing peace and quiet to recuperate. But it is nice to meet new people now and again - not necessarily regularly but not to write off completely the possibility of it ever happening, which seems to be what Leo is saying in his Heaven posts.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No. The working day for 30 years of my life is about lots of small talk. Why would i want to go out and do it all again in the evening?

It would seem that I haven't explained my reasons sufficiently for extroverts so I will use the words of someone else who explains how I and most introverts feel
quote:
To begin with, it is exactly the same every time. Anywhere. If you are engaging me in small talk, it means you are treating me in the precise same manner when you approach me as you did the last stranger you approached. And depending on the venue, I may have just seen you approach the person right before me and heard you ask the same asinine questions of them……..-It is irrelevant. If an introvert has decided to leave home and bring himself to a place full of people he doesn't know, chances are there was a very good reason for it. …….He'd like to get on with the specific reason he attended this function. …..Small talk is inauthentic. if they are honest even extroverts will admit that it is just a tool. That even they are not the least bit interested in how difficult it was for me to drive to this building, or if I ran into any traffic on the way. They know that they don't really care, and I certainly know they don't care. It is a rouse to start talking to someone new. But I would rather be approached cold with an authentic question, then be warmed up by the small talk. It's a waste of resources. Mindless small talk requires little brain power. Introverts spend most of their time thinking. Processing ideas. Finding themselves engaged in small talk slams on the brakes of their active brain. The subjects are so empty, there is no need to form an opinion and/or argument that they can then share with those around them. Like renting the biggest self-storage unit in the city and storing nothing in it but a roll of paper towels. It is space and money wasted. Small talk is like that roll sitting in the vast expanse of the mind to an introvert. It's a waste of resources…..It lacks creativity. Many introverts are creative types, and few things are as bereft of creativity as small talk.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

Dude, it's not that people don't understand your reasons. It's that you're being such an ass about them.
(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
True, and yet, coming from you - when I have read the pompous self-important tone of your posts in Ecclesiantics - it seems like a dispute over the shade of cookware.

It's interesting that the person who starts a thread about trying to restore the fun to worship gets marked as the 'pompous' one. Most pompous people I know take a certain pride in their puritanical joylessness. A bit like leo, really.

--------------------

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Could be. So why is he posting on that thread in the first place? It's as if he posted six times on the baseball thread in The Circus about how much he is bored to death by baseball and would rather be home reading.

Point taken. If I were totally uninterested in small talk, nothing would make me read a thread about it.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016