homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Caravans (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Caravans
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed before, but do any shipmates have particularly strong views on caravans and their owners?

Recently travelling to the South West (UK), the motorway seemed absolutely full of them choking up the lanes - often pulled by huge 4 wheel drive things - and adding to, if not causing most of the congestion and seemingly unaware that they were doing so.

To pass the time my passengers would turn around to get a good look at the person driving a caravan entourage. Whether it was that particular day, or whether this is universally true or not, the drivers all seemed almost identical or at least had similar features.

Nearly all had little goaty grey or white beards concealing either a chinless face, or a vast double chin; a short sleeved usually light blue top; glasses; pot belly; vacant expressions. All of them were male. My young passengers would shout 'Goon spotted!' when we passed such a caravan driver.

A little conversation in the village pub last night seemed to suggest that these caravans are universally hated in this part of the South West, and that Jeremy Clarkson was not alone in his sentiments when at the beginnig of one of his programmes, he dropped one from a great height.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm routinely held up on the way to work on my bike by car drivers, holding up the traffic by using a big metal box for one person. But, then again, they've paid their taxes too and are entitled to use the roads.

There's no automatic right to not being held up by people using the roads differently to you.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We call them trailers here. They range from the small collapsible tent trailers to 40' fifth wheel monsters (5th wheel means they hook into a swivel in the back of a pick-up truck). There are also motor homes which are self-propelled and vary from 20 to 50' long.

Here, there appear to be 2 main uses here. One is for camping, which means somewhere where roads go, but also there's mountains, lakes, you light an open fire, there are various animals, usually bears, deer, moose, elk etc. It is instead of a cabin. (which is western Canadian lingo for cottage). The other use is essentially a portable hotel, where it is common to travel 5,000 miles/8,000 km over the course of a winter (or summer) in search of the sights and weather of your choosing.

The larger ones are certainly barriers to travel on highways, particularly in mountain roads, where things can slow to 60 or 70 km/hr (40 or 45 mph) and there is really no possibility to pass, and even if you do, there's another 30 ahead of that one. Many roads are single lane each direction.

All of this said, we have a 17' trailer, hard wall collapsible, which weighs only 300 lb empty, so we don't pose a barrier to many except speed freaks. And I look nothing like you suggest, and neither does the family, including the 2 dogs. We use it for wilderness camping. Never actually used the stove except to know that it works in the 6 years we've had it, we cook everything over wood fires.

I have a some trouble understanding the need for a trailer/caravan in places with towns and accommodation sans wilderness, with fairly small distances to travel and generally pretty warm weather. But experiences within a culture, country and local area do affect perceptions a lot.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And it seems that there are now more caravans in the Camping and Caravan Club, which means I feel not so close to all the tents - I have a smaller tent than many, but not a tiny one. The caravans are sometimes ones that are not attached to cars, but are ones that travel independently, which means they are bigger ones usually.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Traveller
Shipmate
# 1943

- Posted      Profile for Traveller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know how to push my buttons, sebby, don't you?

There certainly ought to be regulations that one caravan doing 51mph should not be allowed to overtake another caravan doing 50mph. [Mad]

The common perception in the South West is that caravans arrive for a week with the driver possessing one clean shirt and one £20 note. They depart a week later having changed neither. [Snigger]

--------------------
I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live:
I will praise my God while I have my being.
Psalm 104 v.33

Posts: 1037 | From: Wherever the car has stopped at the moment! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
And it seems that there are now more caravans in the Camping and Caravan Club, which means I feel not so close to all the tents - I have a smaller tent than many, but not a tiny one. The caravans are sometimes ones that are not attached to cars, but are ones that travel independently, which means they are bigger ones usually.

I always laughed at them (what's the point of going out into nature if you pretty much bring your house with you), until this summer, when I found myself with a can of tomatoes for my curry and no can opener. The nice folks with the camper at the next site had one in their kitchen. So maybe bringing your entire kitchen camping with you is not such a bad idea after all.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Each year we are invaded by hordes of grey nomads in caravans and motor homes who take over our roads and car parks. It is very frustrating to be stuck behind a slow moving convoy of them, none of whom seems willing to pull over and let other vehicles overtake. Grrr

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed. They are vile.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someday if you're lucky you'll be grey and overcautious in your driving.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed before, but do any shipmates have particularly strong views on caravans and their owners?

No. Why? Do you want permission to hold yours?
Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Restrict caravans and lorries over 7.5 tonnes to moving only between sunset and sunrise.

Sebby - yep I've followed a few(!) caravans and lorries through Bristol on the M5 down to the west and up the north devon link road too. That's the road to hell.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Uriel
Shipmate
# 2248

- Posted      Profile for Uriel   Email Uriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Living in the South West, 2 miles from the M5, I can vouch that it does become a long car park for people going to Devon and Cornwall every Saturday through the summer. If we think about going out for the day in the summer we have to take the traffic into account, and often have to rule out large parts of the county. But I don't think it's just down to the caravans. An awful lot of people want to head to Devon and Cornwall, there are only 2 roads in (the M5 for anyone north of Bristol and the A303 for southern types, which at points isn't even dual carriageway). Drive north from Taunton on a summer's Saturday afternoon and you will pass a 6 mile traffic jam stuffed with caravans, motorhomes, trailers, vans pulling boats, people carriers stuffed with children and duvets, lorries, cars with bikes and canoes strapped to their roof, minibuses, coaches, etc. etc. You run out of motorway at Exeter, where the M5 and A303/A30 meet, so I am sure the traffic problems continue all the way down to deepest, darkest Cornwall. If you took the caravans out the 6 mile tailback might only be a 5 mile tailback, so it's not all down to them. You could alleviate it by dualing the A303 (although the druids would complain around Stonehenge) and making the M5 four lanes from Bristol to Truro, destroying quite a bit of contryside in the process.

The point of the South West is that it's hard to get to, which is why it hasn't been concreted over. We need bad roads to stop too many grockles turning up and settling. If Cornwall were an easy 2 hour drive from the South East or West Midlands it would be concreted over and turned into a commuter belt.

Posts: 687 | From: Somerset, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

- Posted      Profile for the long ranger   Email the long ranger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wait - you are asking us to tell you whether physically (and, perhaps morally) judging someone by their vehicle is fair comment? No, actually.

--------------------
"..into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth,” “But Rabbi, how can this happen for those who have no teeth?”
"..If some have no teeth, then teeth will be provided.”

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Caravanners are often IME very nice and responsible people, though perhaps a bit naff and pedantic sometimes. Years ago I was an assistant at a Missions to Seamen station where the padre was also national chaplain to the Caravan Club (yes, honestly). At Christmas the Mission chapel hosted the usual round of carol services- RN Association, RM Cadets, Chamber of Shipping etc- and as assistants we had to tidy up afterwards, which was a bit of a chore. But when we went to tidy up after the Caravan Club carol service we found that they'd left the chapel tidier and neater than it had been when they arrived, and swept it out as well. So they got a big plus in our book.

[ 22. September 2012, 09:29: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the long ranger:
Wait - you are asking us to tell you whether physically (and, perhaps morally) judging someone by their vehicle is fair comment? No, actually.

Why not? I've never met a Porsche driver who wasn't a complete wanker.

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew up in the West Country. My father mentally redesigns his Caravans Cause Congestion stickers to match the current version used by Campers and Caravan Club when stuck behind the queue of caravans travelling south, reckoning there'd be a good market for it. When the motorways started heading out that way, there was a consensus that the best use of the M5 would be to continue to Land's End with a ski jump to power all caravans off into the sea.

The problem is that caravan users want to take their caravans on unsuitable roads in large numbers altogether like lemmings, making those roads unusable for all other road users.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The M5 and A30/A38 are known locally as 'Caravan Alley'. Some people seem to spend their whole week's holiday in a traffic jam heading westwards, never actually reaching their destination.....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

Perhaps an enormous road tax could be imposed on them? Far larger than at present.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Despite Bib's opinion (though I may never have visited where Bib lives perhaps) I don't think it's a big issue in Australia as the country is so much larger and country roads therefore usually not that busy. Lots of families, including that of my older sister, own caravans. It's more convenient than tent camping as you don't have to worry about bad weather and is easier with kids. It's also a lot cheaper to stay in caravan parks than other accommodation.

My family didn't own a caravan when I was growing up, but most of our holidays were driving holidays (in Vic, NSW or SA) and we often stayed in cabins at caravan parks. The only time I have been stuck in a traffic jam on country roads here was when my friends and I had the bad idea of visiting Phillip Island (which is in Victoria and can be reached by a bridge) the weekend the Moto GP was on.

My parents actually spent their honeymoon caravanning in my Dad's parents caravan at Wilson's Prom (another popular Victorian camping location). Perhaps all you caravan haters need my Dad's younger brothers around. They played around with the caravan beforehand and whatever they did caused the caravan to jack knife on the trip down to Wilson's Prom. My parents nearly had a serious accident!

Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What amazes me is that people actually drive such fuel-guzzling beasts. They must be terrifically expensive to operate, especially the enormous monsters that one sees in North America. IME they are an especially plentiful species in the American West, which just seems to attract nomadic retirees making their way round the western half of the continent in an endless trek. They aren't so bad on superhighways/interstates/motorways, but on two-lane roads they pose a danger to everyone, since it is difficult and risky to overtake the slow moving, dim-witted creatures.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Perhaps an enormous road tax could be imposed on them? Far larger than at present.

As a caravan owner (a very little caravan which can easily be pulled by a 1.4 litre hatchback) I agree with the road tax idea. In Switzerland you need a separate tax disc for the caravan. And the bigger the caravan the bigger the road tax. It might also persuade some people to downsize their tow cars.

I'm not so convinced about Caravan Alley. Caravan are very noticeable. If they weren't there but people were still going to the SW in their cars for holidays the A38/M5 would still be crowded (though less so).

Of course being held up by caravans is annoying whereas you don't see all the people going off by plane for their hols and raising the CO2 level a lot more. Compared to that we're quite low impact.

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

- Posted      Profile for Grammatica   Email Grammatica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Traveller:
The common perception in the South West is that caravans arrive for a week with the driver possessing one clean shirt and one £20 note. They depart a week later having changed neither. [Snigger]

That joke! The same joke was made about the "Tin Can Tourists" of Florida, back in the 1920s.

Though in those days it was a $5 bill they failed to change during their stay.

Inflation, you know.

Their modern descendants are still vitally important to Florida's economy, though probably no better loved.

Posts: 1058 | From: where the lemon trees blosson | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My young passengers would shout 'Goon spotted!' when we passed such a caravan driver.

You were obviously putting into practice the advice Rodgers and Hammerstein gave you in their song "You've got to be carefully taught" in South Pacific.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Caravan holidays were my only holidays as a child! My paternal grandparents were wardens at a Cornish Camping & Caravan Club site so every year the whole family joined them. With the obvious exception of my grandparents, we were a group of young families and not grey or pedantic at all. And having a kitchen and bathroom with you is useful when small children are with you [Biased]

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
My young passengers would shout 'Goon spotted!' when we passed such a caravan driver.

You were obviously putting into practice the advice Rodgers and Hammerstein gave you in their song "You've got to be carefully taught" in South Pacific.
Oh, well played sir.

[Overused]

--------------------

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

How funny we actually sing that very song.

--------------------
sebhyatt

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The OP seems a mixture of classism and Royston Vassey.

Not much a fan of caravans for the same reasons Og gives. But as far as their owners, there are good and bad, just as inside the rest of the vehicles clogging up the motorways.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only problem I've with caravans is when those pulling them manage, (God knows how), to jack-knife and tip them over. So that it, and the vehicle doing the pulling, perfectly block both carriage-ways of the A30.

Goodness only knows what the insurance pay-out is on this type of prang, I'm guessing all the busted up stuff inside the caravan has to be paid for as well.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
angelfish
Shipmate
# 8884

- Posted      Profile for angelfish   Email angelfish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I absolutely love caravans. The way things clevery open up to reveal storage space, or flap down to make an extra table or bed; living in a space with everything just three paces away, all to hand, only the bare essentials; then there is the added bonus of rainy days when you are driven by the need for warmth and dryth to stay in all day with your family playing cards, Yahtzee or Trivial Pursuit, doing a 5000 piece jigsaw or reading alound to one another. That's when you discover tolerance, patience and that your parents are actually quite good company.

Wish I had a caravan.

No idea about caravan owners. They seem a mixed bunch to me.

--------------------
"As God is my witness, I WILL kick Bishop Brennan up the arse!"

Posts: 1017 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
The OP seems a mixture of classism and Royston Vassey.

Not much a fan of caravans for the same reasons Og gives. But as far as their owners, there are good and bad, just as inside the rest of the vehicles clogging up the motorways.

Indeed they are no better nor worse, but with that vast plastic shed on the back they can cause more frustration and mayhem than almost any other road vehicle, especialy as many do so with no license specific to caravan or trailer towing.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It seems one would have to use it almost all the time for it to even begin to make economic sense. As for owners, yeah, I've met some. What about 'em?

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Badger Lady
Shipmate
# 13453

- Posted      Profile for Badger Lady   Email Badger Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by angelfish:
I absolutely love caravans. The way things clevery open up to reveal storage space, or flap down to make an extra table or bed; living in a space with everything just three paces away, all to hand, only the bare essentials; then there is the added bonus of rainy days when you are driven by the need for warmth and dryth to stay in all day with your family playing cards, Yahtzee or Trivial Pursuit, doing a 5000 piece jigsaw or reading alound to one another. That's when you discover tolerance, patience and that your parents are actually quite good company.

Wish I had a caravan.

No idea about caravan owners. They seem a mixed bunch to me.

My family had a caravan for much of my childhood. Whilst I hated caravan holidays (four children in plastic shack. In the rain) it really was the only economical way we could go away on holiday. Mind you, we never went to the West Country.
Posts: 340 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

- Posted      Profile for aumbry         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uriel:

The point of the South West is that it's hard to get to, which is why it hasn't been concreted over. We need bad roads to stop too many grockles turning up and settling. If Cornwall were an easy 2 hour drive from the South East or West Midlands it would be concreted over and turned into a commuter belt.

As a resident of the South East of England I can assure you that much of it, particularly the part of Kent where we live, is much more attractive and rural than Cornwall a lot of which is a post-industrial wasteland. We welcome all visitors.

So this is one grockle who will be quite happy never to have to travel and spend any money beyond the western border of Devon.

Posts: 3869 | From: Quedlinburg | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Badger Lady:
My family had a caravan for much of my childhood. Whilst I hated caravan holidays (four children in plastic shack.

Oh, ok, I was thinking of motor homes.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:
quote:
My family had a caravan for much of my childhood. Whilst I hated caravan holidays (four children in plastic shack.

You would call a caravan a "trailer." Brits call a motor home a motor home.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aumbry:
quote:

As a resident of the South East of England I can assure you that much of it, particularly the part of Kent where we live, is much more attractive and rural than Cornwall a lot of which is a post-industrial wasteland. We welcome all visitors.

So this is one grockle who will be quite happy never to have to travel and spend any money beyond the western border of Devon.

Chipping in to agree with Aumbry (yup!)

There are parts of Kent that are absolutely beautiful (not telling) and some that are unique (you can guess at least one of them). In the beautiful parts the lanes aren't much wider than those in Cornwall. Fewer wet days too.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
quote:
quote:

Right. I've always been a tent or bivy sack man. Trailers and motor homes both seem to be like a boat in that the two best days are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Jigsaw
Shipmate
# 11433

- Posted      Profile for Jigsaw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Buy a Mazda Bongo or Ford Freda. They're people carriers imported from Japan and converted in the UK, sleep 2 adults and 2 smaller children, have fridges, gas stoves, even toilets and showers; they can do up to 70 mph so don't hold other drivers up, are easy to park and don't break down as much as the lovely old VW's do.

--------------------
You are not alone in this.

Posts: 743 | From: Snorbens, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

In US, "caravan" means a group (more than one) of vehicles (of any size) journeying together, often in single file.

American def.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From what I'm understanding on this thread, it is hard to like people when there are too many of you per square mile or km. The grockles (which I have learned means the same as gorbies) probably can't afford to go on any other sort of holiday.

Well, if you have any sort of trade or skill, you are pretty much welcome in western Canada. Higher wages, half the cost of living and 392 fewer people per square km than caravan-hating England: population density of England = 395/km², population density of Canada = 3.5/km².

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
quote:

Chipping in to agree with Aumbry (yup!)

There are parts of Kent that are absolutely beautiful (not telling) and some that are unique (you can guess at least one of them). In the beautiful parts the lanes aren't much wider than those in Cornwall. Fewer wet days too.

Cornwall has the attractively rugged and dramatic coastline, though. I personally find the South East very pretty but not very exciting in terms of scenery, unlike Wales or Yorkshire for example.

For our family, once my grandparents retired from their post as site wardens, Pembrokeshire was our preferred holiday spot (we lived in the West Midlands at the time). Less touristy than Cornwall, gorgeous huge beaches and great scenery.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
From what I'm understanding on this thread, it is hard to like people when there are too many of you per square mile or km. The grockles (which I have learned means the same as gorbies) probably can't afford to go on any other sort of holiday.

Or don't want to. I'd rather have a week on the north Cornish coast than a week in Tenerife or the Algarve, personally.

--------------------

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Or don't want to. I'd rather have a week on the north Cornish coast than a week in Tenerife or the Algarve, personally.

Going abroad is probably a lot cheaper in the end.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
quote:

Thurible

Probably. I've never really looked into it.

--------------------

the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

- Posted      Profile for the long ranger   Email the long ranger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having lived and worked on the Devon/Cornwall border, I would never take a holiday there. Dammit, I wouldn't even visit.

--------------------
"..into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth,” “But Rabbi, how can this happen for those who have no teeth?”
"..If some have no teeth, then teeth will be provided.”

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
quote:
quote:

Thurible

This is a concept which I truly find difficult to understand. No desire to stalk the Serengeti? To reach the crest of a mountain pass in the Rockies? To speak to a shaman on the Amazon or a villager in Bavaria? Home has its comforts, home has its beauty and variation; but the world, nay the universe! to explore, to experience.......

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thurible

This is a concept which I truly find difficult to understand. No desire to stalk the Serengeti? To reach the crest of a mountain pass in the Rockies? To speak to a shaman on the Amazon or a villager in Bavaria? Home has its comforts, home has its beauty and variation; but the world, nay the universe! to explore, to experience.......
Can't afford the really interesting things and the more affordable destinations are too hot.

--------------------

aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

- Posted      Profile for aumbry         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thurible

I am with Karl the Liberal Backstabber on that. I cannot think of a more gormless way of spending free time than stalking the Serengeti or climbing the Rockies. Speak to a shaman in the Amazon, sneeze on him and kill him from flu. Talk to a Bavarian villager! -if he had any sense and wasn't a part time BMW worker he would draw his gun. Let the world's last remaining wild places stay wild - dumb tourists and dumber travellers leave them alone please.
Posts: 3869 | From: Quedlinburg | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
]I am with Karl the Liberal Backstabber

Oi! Just a feckin' moment - what have I done to you, mateyboy?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Can't afford the really interesting things and the more affordable destinations are too hot.

Travel can be more affordable than some think, if you are willing to forego some amenities. But actual travel is only one component of my difficulty. I cannot afford to sit on the shore of the Sea of Tranquility, gazing at the endless universe. But I wish to.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016