homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » O God, don't choose me! (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: O God, don't choose me!
Felafool
Shipmate
# 270

- Posted      Profile for Felafool         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, the decision on the new ABC will be made imminently.

According to the BBC website , one of the shortlisted prospects, the Bishop of Norwich, Graham James "told the BBC he was praying that he was not chosen for the post.

"Anyone who really longs to be the Archbishop of Canterbury is probably not terribly well-equipped to do the job.

Nonetheless I am fairly sure the whole process will lead, I hope and pray, to God choosing someone other than me," he said

In one sense +Graham has declared how suitable he is for the post (because he really doesn't want it). However, he has specifically prayed that it is offered to someone else.

My question is, what if God has other ideas, and actually has his finger on Graham James? How might +Graham need to rethink his prayers, and how might others respond to an ABC who seems to pray against the will of God?

--------------------
I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty - I ordered a cheeseburger.

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Felafool:

According to the BBC website , one of the shortlisted prospects, the Bishop of Norwich, Graham James "told the BBC he was praying that he was not chosen for the post.

"Anyone who really longs to be the Archbishop of Canterbury is probably not terribly well-equipped to do the job.

Nonetheless I am fairly sure the whole process will lead, I hope and pray, to God choosing someone other than me," he said

In one sense +Graham has declared how suitable he is for the post (because he really doesn't want it). However, he has specifically prayed that it is offered to someone else.

My question is, what if God has other ideas, and actually has his finger on Graham James? How might +Graham need to rethink his prayers, and how might others respond to an ABC who seems to pray against the will of God?

Doesn't seem terribly different to a well-known episode in a 1st century garden in Palestine to me.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Doesn't seem terribly different to a well-known episode in a 1st century garden in Palestine to me.

Struck me more like Gideon...

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

- Posted      Profile for Higgs Bosun   Email Higgs Bosun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was confirmed by Leonard Wilson, Bishop of Birmingham. He related how, when newly ordained, he had prayed that he was willing to go anywhere in the world apart from the north pole, the equator and Birmingham.

During WWII he was bishop in Singapore, where he suffered under the Japanese (it is said that the reason he had a beard was to hide the scars). When Bishop of Birmingham he said that he was now waiting for the call to the north pole.

Posts: 313 | From: Near the Tidal Thames | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Felafool
Shipmate
# 270

Karl.LB wrote
quote:

[Smile] good point, well made.

Now let's up the ante. Is +Graham actually maneouvering himself into position by praying as he did, and publicly saying that what his prayer?

--------------------
I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty - I ordered a cheeseburger.

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Karl.LB wrote
quote:

Now let's up the ante. Is +Graham actually maneouvering himself into position by praying as he did, and publicly saying that what his prayer?

I dunno. It looks like the sort of statement anyone in the running for this sort of appointment might be inclined to make, TBH.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've known seminarians awaiting their first call who tried reverse psych on God that way. They tell me ( with a laugh) that in those cases they got their asked-for-but-not-wanted prayer request.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If Bishop Graham James doesn't want to be chosen can't he withdraw himself from the running? Or refuse the post?
Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moses comes to mind. He tried telling God how ill-equipped he was, and in the end said 'Please send someone else!'

We can say 'no' to God, but we can expect God to be persuasive. Look at Jonah!

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
earrings
Shipmate
# 13306

- Posted      Profile for earrings   Email earrings   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember telling God very clearly that "anywhere but the South-West" would be great as my husband and I began our search for curacies. (family reasons, not a real prejudice against it) A curacy in Plymouth followed then a further 13 years in Exeter diocese!!!! God has a sense of humour!

In relation to Graham James I can imagine someone praying desperately that the finger would not point at them, but being prepared to take it on should they be called, that just seems like human reality.

--------------------
My blog musings on all sorts of stuff https://priscillavicar.wordpress.com/

Posts: 135 | From: West Midlands | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Karl.LB wrote
quote:

I dunno. It looks like the sort of statement anyone in the running for this sort of appointment might be inclined to make, TBH.
It looks like the kind of statement that anyone involved in choosing the next ABC would look at very carefully indeed. I doubt they would look on it favourably unless it was from a very strong candidate "Heck" they might think "If he says things like that now, what will he say as ABC?".

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm praying that God won't choose me as the ABC. If He doesn't, at least I'll have the irrefutable proof that He exists [Biased]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider

The prayer of Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane has, in my view, often been misunderstood. Jesus was not giving any impression that he didn't want to do his Father's will - quite the reverse ("not what I will but what you will") - but rather expressing his hope that if there were a way to save mankind without all the pain, then that is what he would prefer (which is what any sane person would prefer). In other words, the prayer is a revelation that God does not glorify pain and suffering, but only allows it as an unavoidable necessity. There is nothing in this prayer that indicates any kind of conflict between God the Father and God the Son, just an expression of the undesirability of pain.

A better example would be the prayer of Moses in Exodus 4:13, when he asked to be released from the task of public speaking. Interestingly it says that God was angry with him, but actually complied with his request, hence the role of Aaron (see verses 14-15). Eventually, however, Moses did find the confidence to speak.

So, from a biblical point of view, I don't think it's right to suggest that God ruthlessly overrules people's fears by forcing them to face up to them and grin and bear them.

Another example is Joseph, the husband of Mary. On the return from Egypt, he was afraid to go via Judea, because Herod's son was in power. But God had specifically told him in a dream that "those who sought the young child's life are dead" - therefore there was no one to fear. However, because of his fear, he was commanded (often translated "warned", but can mean "advised") to go to Nazareth by another route. This looks like a concession.

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose it depends on how the statement was made. If for instance he was replying to a direct question by a BBC reporter, then that might be one thing, however if he was just issuing a statement then I would be concerned that he was angling for the position.
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Rob         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

... I hope and pray, to God choosing someone other than me ...

... what if God has other ideas ..?

Well +Graham, if nominated or selected or appointed, or whatever you want to call it these days, does not have to accept the Canterbury job. That's as simple as saying, "no thanks." So it is Graham James himself who controls the final selection if the fickle finger of fate is pointed at him.

However, I do think what you are hearing from James is standard humility boilerplate that all clerics produce singled out for high ecclesiastical office. The Lord I am not worthy bit is expected, nearly required rhetoric, so one can't place much weight on such words.

Posts: 862 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

EE - I see what the bishop is saying as being very much the same "I pray I don't have to be ABC" - he doesn't pray that God's will not be done, but that God's will not be that he get the job.

Which seems to parallel Jesus praying that God's will be that there be another way quite closely.

Is that a record for use of subjunctives in a short piece of English?

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of our former vicars said 'Whatever the future holds, I definitely don't want to be an Archdecon'. No prizes for guessing what he is now.

Probably safer not to say anything....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't the Mennonites choose the least willing on the grounds that they pass the humility test? (Or is that folklore?).

I like + Graham. So I hope his prayer is granted. ++ Rowan is sounding increasingly demob-happy and who could blame him.

Such reflections reminds me an alleged conversation between Kennedy and Johnson (during the Cuba crisis, I think). Started with "So you want this ****** job?"

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I heard the radio correctly, the leader of the Coptic church is chosen by:

a) putting the names of qualified candidates in a hat
b) praying that the Holy Spirit guides the hand that will choose
c) a small child picks a name from the hat

That's pretty much it. Would that we had the same system here.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, but you've got to make sure you're using the right kind of hat.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, if you don't know what direction God wants you to take, you should face up to a few of the least attractive options and pick one of them? (Or perhaps this only works for religious professionals, i.e. the ordained or those likely to be ordained.)

Hmmm....

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

I think you mean the right sort of hat.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bishop Graham James isn't the only one who hopes it isn't him - I do too! He seems far too wishy-washy, we need a charismatic character like John Sentamu to make the C of E attractive to people again.

[ 26. September 2012, 15:08: Message edited by: Mark Betts ]

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rob:
However, I do think what you are hearing from James is standard humility boilerplate that all clerics produce singled out for high ecclesiastical office. The Lord I am not worthy bit is expected, nearly required rhetoric, so one can't place much weight on such words.

Weren't you traditionally supposed to say nolo episcopari ('I don't want to be bishoped') when you got called to the episcopacy?

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

I think you mean the right sort of hat.
I think you mean the right type of hat.
Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I seem to recall that Andrew Greeley in The Making of the Popes 1978 reported that Karol Józef Wojtyła said something very similar in a certain locked wing of the Vatican when he saw the writing on the wall.

Eta: to fix code

[ 26. September 2012, 15:19: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
Bishop Graham James isn't the only one who hopes it isn't him - I do too! He seems far too wishy-washy, we need a charismatic character like John Sentamu to make the C of E attractive to people again.

Maybe it's just me but it seems unlikely that what keeps people from being attracted to the C of E is who is ABC.

quote:
Originally posted by daronmedway:

He missed it. [Frown]

[ 26. September 2012, 15:20: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Only Jesus can make the C of E attractive again and he stopped being in charge a long time ago.
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

He missed it. [Frown]
Well, I got it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Felafool
Shipmate
# 270

Doc Tor wrote:
quote:
..... [Lottery basically]

Sounds scriptural to me. Acts 1vv23-26, choosing a replacement for Judas. Indeed, why DON'T we do this more often?

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Doc Tor wrote:
quote:

Sounds scriptural to me. Acts 1vv23-26, choosing a replacement for Judas. Indeed, why DON'T we do this more often?

I seem to recall that Sir Humphrey took the view that no-one was sure that the Holy Spirit was fully aware of what made a good CofE bishop.

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:
quote:

He missed it. [Frown]
Well, I got it. [Big Grin]
Is it Harry Potter? Possibly? [Confused]
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:

How soon is imminently?
Felafool
Shipmate
# 270

ISTM that a lot of people struggle with guidance and God's will for them, thinking that if they put their trust in God, they will have to do the things they most want to avoid.

For me personally, I always had a negative view of people from a certain part of the world, as a result of a childhood experience. I always feared being sent to work alongside those people.

The funny and wonderful thing is that God changed my heart, removed the fear and replaced it with love to the extent that I willing went to work amongst those I had previously wanted to avoid.

--------------------

Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

- Posted      Profile for Higgs Bosun   Email Higgs Bosun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

How soon is imminently?
I gather that the committee is meeting at a secret location from today for three days. I don't know if the length of time has any theological significance.
Posts: 313 | From: Near the Tidal Thames | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Doc Tor wrote:
quote:

I seem to recall that Sir Humphrey took the view that no-one was sure that the Holy Spirit was fully aware of what made a good CofE bishop.
Indeed. Pre-cambrian still has that as his sig, I believe.

But the "official" answer from charismatic evangelical days long past is that casting lots was unnecessary after that because the Holy Spirit had been poured out on all people, so such pagan practices were heretical and blasphemous.

ETA: I make no statement about the sense and logic of this position, but it doesn't seem instantly ridiculous.

[ 26. September 2012, 15:49: Message edited by: The Great Gumby ]

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

- Posted      Profile for the long ranger   Email the long ranger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I clicked on a link from these boards the other day which talked of the Moravian church deciding all kinds of things by lot - including whether to allow marriage partners, church membership and leadership by lots in centuries past.

They had a plate with bits of paper with 'yes' and 'no' and a blank, I'm not sure what happened if they drew a blank (maybe that was just God saying 'I don't care either way').

--------------------
"..into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth,” “But Rabbi, how can this happen for those who have no teeth?”
"..If some have no teeth, then teeth will be provided.”

Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

a) putting the names of qualified candidates in a hat
b) praying that the Holy Spirit guides the hand that will choose
c) a small child picks a name from the hat

That's pretty much it. Would that we had the same system here.

But then you'd have to have a 3 day secret committee, to decide which was the right child to do the picking..
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
you could use the mitre of the previous bishop/archbishop to pick the names out of. It's only logical.

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought you bound the candidates hand and foot and threw them into a river, and whichever one floated - or is that something else?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
dv
Shipmate
# 15714

- Posted      Profile for dv     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...we need a charismatic character like John Sentamu to make the C of E attractive to people again.

Sentamu is a deeply unattractive option to some of us.
Posts: 70 | From: Lancs UK | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I thought you bound the candidates hand and foot and threw them into a river, and whichever one floated - or is that something else?

Apparently they are killing themselves off quite happily on their own. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Was he born in a manger? Is execution involved? The guy who is leaving, does he feel like he's been killed?

God of course doesn't get involved with such petty human decisions, at least insofar as Anglicans have cast reality. The 39 articles, #XXVI., would seem to suggest that God will use anyone selected as an appropriate vessel for His Mission In Earth, and quite probably enjoys the wicked ones more, given how many chosen people have been pretty rough material, whether written about in the bible or seen in our daily lives.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone who publicly says 'Oh God don't choose me' or words to that effect has my suspicion - instantly.

They want it really, for sure. If they were genuinely praying not to be chosen they'd keep it very quiet, then politely turn the job down if chosen.

Simples.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought that when I first saw the quote, Boogie. But I suppose it depends whether he volunteered the quote apropos of nothing, or if he was asked. If the former, then yes, that would make me wonder whether he had an ulterior motive.

But if he'd been asked by the BBC "You're one of the names linked to the post; how do you feel about the process" or something similar, then his words seem a good way of answering that. So I suppose it depends upon the context in which he said what he said.

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stejjie:

But if he'd been asked by the BBC "You're one of the names linked to the post; how do you feel about the process" or something similar, then his words seem a good way of answering that.

I don't think so. If he honestly doesn't want the job he can simply say so. "I don't want the job and will turn it down if offered."

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

How soon is imminently?
I suspect not as immenently as all that - certainly not this week. Althought the CNC is meeting this week, any decision would have to be ratified by Downing Street and HMQ. I'm guessing we'll hear mid-October.

[ 27. September 2012, 08:35: Message edited by: Earwig ]

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dv:

Sentamu is a deeply unattractive option to some of us. [/QUOTE]

Why?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I don't think so. If he honestly doesn't want the job he can simply say so. "I don't want the job and will turn it down if offered."

But what if he sees the decision, whoever it comes to, as an expression of God's will and, therefore, not one that can be refused? It may simply be an expression of that (see, for example, pretty much every OT prophet who's call is described; most, if not all of them, desperately didn't want to do it but did it, because they felt God was somehow calling them in a way they couldn't refuse).

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep thinking of that lovely parody:

Someone else, Lord
Please not me, Lord
I am hiding underneath my bed
I won't go, Lord
I'm too scared, Lord
Won't you please send someone else instead?

If a candidate is found hiding underneath his bed you can be sure he really means "Not me"

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016