homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Appointment of Catholic/Anglican Bishop's and ++Cantuar (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Appointment of Catholic/Anglican Bishop's and ++Cantuar
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:
Originally posted by CL:
Is that not just a result of the de facto congregationalism of most Anglicans? They don't really care what happens outside their own parish as long as it doesn't affect them.

Almost the opposite. They get on perfectly well with their fellow-Anglicans and don't see the point of the sectarian mentality that tells them they should only relate to a self-selecting group.
I think you're both correct.

In my church, I see some people who have no interest whatsoever in anything outside the parish boundaries. And no matter what I say or do, that will continue. I regularly get people from the diocese to come and preach and talk about what they do and what the diocese is trying to do - it just hits a brick wall.

And yet there are others who DO see themselves as part of a wider Church of England. And - as Angloid says - these people are mostly puzzled and embarrassed by the attempts to create segregation and division.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone read the report in Private Eye this week about +Graham's alleged connection with supporters of the Moonies and other cults? What do you make of it?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No - for those of us who no longer subscribe, enlighten us, please.

If he is supportive of new religious movements and pastorally engaged with their fallout then he might get my vote (if i had a vote).

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just seen it and fond as I am of the Eye I can't say it's one of their more accurate reports. Going no further than the second paragraph, Inform isn't exactly controversial, just an organisation that gives impartial advice on NRMs to anyone who inquires, Eileen Barker's Making of a Moonie was published, as far as I'm aware, in the normal way - if the Moonies had funded it they would have been rather disappointed by some of its conclusions - and they didn't "send" her to any conferences; they had a phase when they invited academics and clergy to their conferences (my husband went to several).

I think whoever wrote that item has probably been fed some misinformation.

Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
k-mann
Shipmate
# 8490

- Posted      Profile for k-mann   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Panda:
Indeed, a cleric doesn't actually have to be a bishop before becoming AbC. Technically any (male...!) priest could be a candidate, however unlikely that would be, given the need for some pointy-hatted experience.

Thomas Becket was a deacon when he was given the job, and therefore had to be ordained priest before he could be consecrated bishop but his is not exactly a career path to follow...

In 1998, Ernst Oddvar Baasland was elected the Bishop of Stavanger, Norway, and had to be ordained as a priest before he was ordained as a bishop.

And just one more point, because I’m somewhat anal when it comes to language. +Chrism, you should change your signature. In Nomine Patris Et Filio Sancti means “in the Name of the Father and the Holy Son.” (And Filio is not in the genetive, as it should.) Since you define yourself as a traditional Catholic (within the CofE), I’m pretty sure you would want it to say in Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti, “In the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”

--------------------
"Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt."
— Paul Tillich

Katolikken

Posts: 1314 | From: Norway | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's bugged me for some time as well, as it happens, especially since it reads something like "In the name of the Father, and to the Son, the Holy Ones" - or something like that.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
No - for those of us who no longer subscribe, enlighten us, please.

If he is supportive of new religious movements and pastorally engaged with their fallout then he might get my vote (if i had a vote).

Rather crappy link here - reference second from bottom.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seems OK to me.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

The link or the content? My 'crappy' reference was to the fact that, unless you're a subscriber, you can't really access the content.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Neither - merely the fact that he is pastorally involved in those effected by new religious movements.

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Neither - merely the fact that he is pastorally involved in those effected by new religious movements.

'affected,' please.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Thanks - I always confuse those two words.

--------------------

shameless
Apprentice
# 9918

- Posted      Profile for shameless   Author's homepage   Email shameless   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What does the RCC have to do with the election of Bishops if anything?

--------------------
shameless

Posts: 26 | From: somewhere over the rainbow | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone else seen this? It made me laugh a lot - but not as much as when the same footage was used in a Ship context some years ago. Does anyone have a link to that wonderful spoof?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Brilliant, particularly the jibe at Tom Wright.

--------------------

Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's a scream... 'don't worry, Vivienne...'
Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad you enjoyed it, Matt Black and Panda, but do either of you remember the SoF spoof that used the same clip? That's what I really want to see again!

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
AngloCatholicDude
Shipmate
# 16476

- Posted      Profile for AngloCatholicDude   Email AngloCatholicDude   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What would happen if they offered it to +Justin Welby and he turn's it down then they offer it to +Graham James or +John Sentamu but he turns it down as well. Would they have to restart the process?

--------------------
Trusting and Believing in the Catholic Tradition within the Church of England

Posts: 85 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't it assumed that if they have got as far as being considered, they will have made clear that they would be willing to accept?

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
AngloCatholicDude
Shipmate
# 16476

- Posted      Profile for AngloCatholicDude   Email AngloCatholicDude   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
Isn't it assumed that if they have got as far as being considered, they will have made clear that they would be willing to accept?

+Justin Welby and +Graham James have both said they do not want they job and if offered they'd have to pray and consider it very carefully

--------------------
Trusting and Believing in the Catholic Tradition within the Church of England

Posts: 85 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely no-one actually wants it. But if they haven't formally said so in order to withdraw their name from the list, they'll still be in the running.

RA, that SoF version must be around somewhere - try asking in the Styx!

[ 17. October 2012, 21:07: Message edited by: Panda ]

Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OMG - the clip should be compulsory viewing for ALL bishops and anyone who tries to defend the current situation vis-a-vis numbers of dioceses/bishops etc.

While the bits about Wright, James et al may be lost on non-regulars, the bit about Sentamu is already what many unchurched think...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It wouldn't be so funny if it weren't so patently true.

Perhaps now they need to start looking further afield - Cape Town, for example?

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Posts: 742 | From: Abertillery | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Has anyone else seen this?

I've seen a number of good spoofs using that clip. (There was a brilliant one about the dog Fenton chasing deer in Richmond Park.) But does anyone know what the original is?

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Downfall'http://www.downfallthefilm.com/

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks. Looks as if it may be worth getting.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016